AnsweredHot!GTX970 - Nvidia's displayport firmware update tool will not run

Author
jm8686
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2023/05/10 00:59:45 (permalink)
Hello,
I'm trying to figure out how to get this tool to work: "NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 Displays". My monitor won't work over the displayport connection during boot, so I can't get into my bios unless I change to an HDMI connection and that's annoying. This tool supposedly will fix the issue.

When I run it, I get the error "The GPU Firmware could not be updated". I searched around the internet for solution, and it seems like Windows 11 might be the problem but it's unclear. I tried running the tool as administrator, and I also tried disabling certain security features (memory integrity & Vulnerable Driver Blocklist in the Windows Security Core Isolation settings), based on what I scraped together from various forum posts. Nothing has worked. Does anyone have any other ideas?

I saw something (here: ) that suggests I could use nvflash to apply the displayport firmware update. But to do that, I would need the updated GPU bios with this update already applied so I can flash it to the card. The latest bios version I can find for my card is this: . That's the bios version currently on my card, but you can see it's from 2015 whereas Nvidia's firmware update tool is from 2018. If I can't get the tool to run, maybe I can just replace the entire bios. Does anyone here have a link to a more recent bios, one that has the firmware update pre-applied?

Edit: I noticed the links were removed automatically because I'm a new account. I can provide them if necessary, but they're really just for clarity and my basic question doesn't change. My card is an EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW, and the bios version is 84.04.36.00.71
post edited by jm8686 - 2023/05/10 01:04:30
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49065
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: GTX970 - Nvidia's displayport firmware update tool will not run 2023/05/10 02:23:43 (permalink)
Try updating from safe mode. I found several posts where people had the same error using windows 11, and they were able to update using windows 10.
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 84185
  • Ribbons : 85
Re: GTX970 - Nvidia's displayport firmware update tool will not run 2023/05/10 03:47:33 (permalink)
If you still have the issue let us know your complete system specs including make and model of PSU. Also, is your DP cable fully certified?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

jm8686
Re: GTX970 - Nvidia's displayport firmware update tool will not run 2023/05/10 08:34:58 (permalink)
Thanks for the replies.

Sajin, I tried safe mode but the same issue persists. In addition, I should have mentioned that I also tried compatibility mode, with no luck. It would suck if I had to install Windows 10 on a new partition just to run this update, but that might be a last resort.

Rjohnson11, my complete system specs are:
Motherboard: ROG Strix X570-I
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW
PSU: Corsair SFX600
Ram: G.SKILL TridentZ Model F4-3600C16D-32GTZR
Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, Model MZ-V7S1T0B/AM

The DP cable is probably fully certified, as far as I know. I grabbed it from a different PC that just had a new 4070 installed (that build didn't need the new cable because it already had a displayport cable that works).
(Edit: Just to clarify, the DP cable came from a new monitor that was purchased along with a 4070)
post edited by jm8686 - 2023/05/10 08:55:12
bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10471
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: GTX970 - Nvidia's displayport firmware update tool will not run 2023/05/10 09:22:11 (permalink)
According to what you show in your 1st post, you're running the latest vBIOS on your card.  After looking at TechPowerUp's vBIOS collection, it confirms you do have the latest one.  So I'm wondering why you're trying to update the vBIOS and to what?  You may be seeing the "The GPU Firmware could not be updated" error/message because their is no newer vBIOS to update to??

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/169144/evga-gtx970-4096-150108

jm8686
Re: GTX970 - Nvidia's displayport firmware update tool will not run 2023/05/10 10:20:19 (permalink)
Hi Bdary, thanks for the input. I got the idea to update the bios with nvflash from a forum post I found in the MSI forums. As a new user here I'm not allowed to post links, but if you search google for "displayport firmware update windows 11 nvflash" I think it will be the first result (it's the MSI forums). If you read that thread, the solution was "Long story short: you have to use nvflash. Nvidia's software is useless. You have to get the correct BIOS from MSI."

I have an EVGA card, not an MSI card. But I figured that a similar solution might apply for me as well. So I went looking for a newer bios to flash, and I discovered that I already have the latest bios version - which was released years before the displayport update tool. I was hoping that there's a chance that EVGA could provide (or has provided) a different bios with the update appled. Or maybe someone has made their own that they could share. I'm aware of the dangers of bios flashing and/or using a custom bios, but I wanted to explore this potential solution.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30693
  • Ribbons : 123
Re: GTX970 - Nvidia's displayport firmware update tool will not run 2023/05/10 11:36:27 (permalink)
This tool is what your trying?:  NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4

--> that is only for this issue ---> DP 1.3 / 1.4 monitor could blank screens on boot until the OS loads or Hang on Boot

Check this thread for ideas -->Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide

Look @ the Release Notes for the Nvidia driver you are using - any note that apply to your setup?
driver 531.79  Windows/531.79/531.79-win11-win10-release-notes.pdf

Look for certified DP cables - note, they do not need to be expensive ---> Products Database - DisplayPort

How to Choose a DisplayPort Cable, and Not Get a Bad One! - DisplayPort

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

jm8686
Re: GTX970 - Nvidia's displayport firmware update tool will not run 2023/05/10 11:55:43 (permalink)
Hi Cool GTX,
That is indeed the tool I'm trying.
The cable I'm using came from a new Asus PG32UQ monitor which has VESA DisplayHDR 600 certification. I'm almost 100% sure that this cable is good. It's new, it doesn't have any visible defects, and it works fine once I'm in Windows. It's just getting into the bios that doesn't work.

The tool that you linked is supposed to address this issue - as per the link: "Without the update, systems that are connected to a DisplayPort 1.3 / 1.4 monitor could experience blank screens on boot until the OS loads, or could experience a hang on boot."
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: GTX970 - Nvidia's displayport firmware update tool will not run 2023/05/10 12:05:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2023/05/10 13:34:50
If that GPU is flashed on an older machine, the Nvidia "fix" stays in the GPU

long shot (designed for 30 series issues), try this tool from Nvidia NVIDIA GPU Firmware Update Tool for DisplayID

Updated 08/29/2022 04:00 PM

NVIDIA GPU Firmware Update Tool for DisplayID 

The DisplayID specification provides enhanced display capabilities.  To ensure compatibility with monitors using DisplayID, an update to the NVIDIA GPU firmware may be required. 

Without the update, systems that are connected to a DisplayPort monitor using DisplayID could experience blank screens on boot until the OS loads.  This update should only be applied if blank screens are occurring on boot.  Click here to download the NVIDIA GPU Firmware Update Tool for DisplayID.

The NVIDIA GPU Firmware Update Tool will detect whether the firmware update is needed, and if needed, will give the user the option to update it. 

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

jm8686
Re: GTX970 - Nvidia's displayport firmware update tool will not run 2023/05/10 12:16:18 (permalink)
I tried the fix in your 2nd link, but when I run the tool linked in there it says that my GTX970 is unsupported. I believe that specific fix is only for 30 series cards.

The other forum post you linked didn't give me any hope, unfortunately. The only posts in there that seem to share my problem were unresolved.

I browsed the Nvidia driver release notes for issues with displayport and anything related to my setup, but I didn't see anything relevant.

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: GTX970 - Nvidia's displayport firmware update tool will not run 2023/05/10 12:22:52 (permalink)
& Welcome to the EVGA Forums & Congrats on your first thread

Nvidia troubleshooting hints:
  • Change boot mode from UEFI to Legacy/CMS; or Legacy to UEFI.
  • Boot using an alternate graphics source (secondary or integrated graphics card)

make a ticket with EVGA for support, CS might have a file they can send you 

jm8686
Re: GTX970 - Nvidia's displayport firmware update tool will not run 2023/05/10 12:26:37 (permalink)
Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll report back here if I get a resolution.
jm8686
Re: GTX970 - Nvidia's displayport firmware update tool will not run 2023/05/10 13:06:00 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Cool GTX 2023/05/10 13:30:25
I was starting to get impatient, so instead of trying to deal with customer service and possibly have to wait even longer for a fix that might not even exist, I bit the bullet and updated my card's firmware in windows 10. The steps are very simple although it's a bit of a pain in the butt. If anyone else is trying to resolve this issue in the future, here's what you do:

1) Use windows disk management tool to create a new partition. I had to select my main partition and pick "shrink partition" to free up some space. Then click on the unallocated space and make a new partition. You can just keep the windows defaults.
2) Create a bootable windows 10 USB. I happened to have one lying around but this is really easy to do if you just search the internet for instructions. Plug it in.
3) Plug in the HDMI cable so I can get to the BIOS.
4) Change BIOS settings to boot from the USB and reset.
5) Install windows, selecting the new partition when it asks where you want to install it. Go through all the steps (it's faster if you tell it you don't have a key or an internet connection).
6) Let windows set up until it detects your GPU (check "display adapter" in Windows device manager if you're not sure, it shouldn't be a generic device, rather it should match your card).
7) Download and run the Nvidia displayport update tool NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4
8) Change out the HDMI connection for the displayport connection and reboot to confirm you can get into your BIOS with it.

This worked for me and the issue's resolved, although it's really annoying that Windows 11 blocks this tool. But it is what it is.
Alternately, as Cool GTX suggested you could remove your GPU and install it in a system that already has Windows 10 and update that way.

I hope this helps someone out in the future. Peace & love, and thanks again for all the help.

Edit: I forgot to mention the last step - go back into the disk management tool and delete the partition you created, then you can re-allocate that space onto the original partition. Unless you want to dual-boot Windows 10 and 11 lol.

edit by Cool GTX added link to Nvidia tool OP used
post edited by Cool GTX - 2023/05/10 13:33:34
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: GTX970 - Nvidia's displayport firmware update tool will not run 2023/05/10 13:30:22 (permalink)
Great way to make it work
BR awarded & thanks for sharing your solution

Happy to help all EVGA forum members

Tech_5.0
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: GTX970 - Nvidia's displayport firmware update tool will not run 2024/08/09 11:23:26 (permalink)
Disable memory integrity if on Windows 11, reboot and the tool should work. Do master bios first and if necessary reboot and do the slave one as well. if you have edited that bios you may want to reflash the original slave bios, update the firmware and reedit afterwards. turn on memory integrity after you are done.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile