EVGA

My story and my take on PC and some questions.

Author
2BorNot2B
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/05/05 15:32:59 (permalink)
So, last night I couldn't sleep. I stayed up all night feeling depressed reading about what 3080ti can and most likely will kick the crap out of 2080ti.
Here is my story. I also want to point out I never had a gaming pc and I have always wanted to game with the buttery fluid gameplay so the day came and I went on a shopping spree.

So, in 2018 I had a great month in sales and I went crazy and spent about $2700 and put together a gaming pc in September.
Components I got in September 2018 are as followed.

I7-8700k at $489
Phanteks ph-es61 full tower at $185
windows 10 at $130
G.skill 16gb 3000 hertz ram at $190
Maximus hero x wifi mb at $329
1000watt evga psu at $190
Cooler master V8 cooler at $103
evga 1080ti ftw3 at $950
1 SSD and 1 HD

I purchased 1080ti first and things got crazy and I went on and bought a 2080ti in April of 2019 thinking hey I am set for at least 3-4 years. But noooooo!?
For the duration of the short 3-4 months when I had the 1080ti, I felt I wasn't getting enough fps in 2k gaming. I wanted more. I was running a 27'' 2k samsung va panel @144hz and I averaged anywhere from 60 to 80fps in monster hunter world.
after getting the 2080ti, i went from 60-80fps to 80 to 120( now these fps may be wrong but I think that's about it from what I remember) depending on area and never felt stuttering and thinking ok, is this the pinnacle of pc gaming averaging 100fps @2k resolution(This is after spending total of around $5000). AT this point I am happy with the computer that I got.
Recently I went out and bought my first ultrawide and experience 3440x1440 144hz va panel but sometime the fps just dips and I can feel the tiny stuttering while aiming down sight and I am thinking...hm....2080ti is not giving me enough frames now but it cost me so much and now I am reading on stuff like the 3080ti which is going to be so much faster than the 2080ti.
I can't help feeling stupid for spending so much money on parts. 
I spent total over $5000 in matter of a year and half 2 years max. I feel like with all the new components coming out are and will replace my 8700k, the 2080ti, the motherboard. I mean come on!!! I haven't even enjoyed my computer for 2 years yet and I need to replace parts? 
I think the lesson I learnt is that chasing after performance is stupid. I will never make enough money to be able to chase after generation after generations. Now I also want to make this clear when the 2080ti was about to be released it was also so hyped that it is gonna be a strong card and will last some time..but heck it's only been not even 2 years and Amphere is on the way?
Give me a break!

However, as salty as I am. I am going to ask all the veterans out there. Should I replace my 8700k? I feel like I should be getting more fps with the amount of brute force this computer has...or maybe it's my ego thinking my setup should have more fps?
Please enlighten me.

post edited by 2BorNot2B - 2020/05/05 15:42:54

27 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/05 15:38:24 (permalink)
    split from another thread and moving to general hardware
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2020/05/05 15:47:57

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

2BorNot2B
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/05 15:43:04 (permalink)
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2020/05/05 15:47:43
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/05 15:48:22 (permalink)
    Edit - update title in thread after OP edit

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/05 17:45:01 (permalink)
    Hey nice setup.  I'd like to point out a few things...

Normal 1440p144 (1.78K at 144fps) is about 7% more demanding on a GPU than 4K60 in terms of pixels rendered per second.  Your monitor is 2.39K, so that's 42% more demanding than 4K60. That is VERY VERY demanding.  My 2080 Ti Hybrid with full power overclock does over 16K in Timespy GPU but still has trouble staying above 60Hz in 4K with max settings in some games.  If you want smooth 144Hz you're going to have to cut settings and resolution scaling on a per game basis, there's just no existing single GPU that can handle that res and refresh, SLI is tricky.  Even the 3080 Ti will probably struggle with that on some future games. 4K120 like on the LG OLED's? Good luck.

The gaming press is always going to over hype the next gen of whatever.  Somebody pulled a 40% faster figure out of thin air for the 3080 Ti.  I'm not buying it.  Maybe 25% or 30% faster, reference vs. reference.   That will put it about 15% ahead of my overclocked hybrid.  Regardless, it's not like it's twice as fast.  $1500? Here's the most realistic breakdown of the new line I've seen, it works out to 13% more cuda cores.

https://pcpartpicker.com/...ia-ampere-speculations

Once the 30XX's drop, typical a-chip 2080 Ti used will probably be worth a bit less than the 3080 ($899?), maybe $700-800, they are a bit over $900 now.  Not a huge drop.  You could get a new FTW3 Hybrid for $1199 on sale two months ago. 

You're just going to have to wait it out until it actually shows up and there's some solid performance numbers before deciding to upgrade.  They might not even offer a 3080 Ti at the Ampere launch, they could have problems producing enough GA102's and only have enough full chips for the $6-10K workstation cards and a cut down chip in a $3K Titan. Could be 2nd quarter 2021 for a 3080 Ti or later.  Be happy you have the best card right now and will for a while.

The 8700K is a tough call.  Still very well regarded, but only 6C/12T, paste TIM under the IHS, 4.3GHz all core turbo.  It's starting to look dated in light of the Z490 chips and AMD.  I doubt that it's contributing to your noticeable frame rate drops, but it couldn't hurt to make sure it's not, with careful monitoring during typical gaming senarios. Might be a good time to look for a closeout on the 9900K, would be substantial upgrade and your MB will support it well.  8700K's are selling on ebay for $300 used.  Otherwise wait out this cycle and look towards the new 10nm Intel chips in '21-'22.

Oh yeah, just to pour more fuel on the fire, you might want to look at a memory kit upgrade, that ASUS board is QVL'd for all sorts of 4000mhz and faster 4x8gb kits.

post edited by kevinc313 - 2020/05/05 19:03:55
    2BorNot2B
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/05 22:28:06 (permalink)
    Hi Kevin,
    Thank you for your reply. I had to get that off my chest because I in my life I have only spent money on 3 computer graphic cards.
    You know it's funny I was digging through my attic and I found my first ever video card that I purchased back in the days when I was still playing wow.
    The first video card I purchased was Geforce 6800 GT and this thing cost me around $480 canadian back in the day. I think it was the 2nd year I got out of high school? Can't remember, the second graphic card was the 1080ti and the third was the evga 2080ti ftw3.

You pointed out that my current monitor is very demanding? I didn't know that. I always thought 4k resolution would be much more depending because of the resolution. Right now the ultrawide that I am using is the 34'' msi 144hz va panel. I did not knot that it's more demanding to run compare
    to a 4k monitor. I am guessing it's because of the size? I mean if there is a 34'' 4k monitor then it's going to be more demanding than what I have now right?

My second question, upgrading the ram kit. Should I upgrade the ram kit first or the cpu first to see a significant jump in fps? I am not expecting a huge fps  jump but something decent 10 fps jump is possible? Can you also please tell me more about what is QVL'd.
    Also knowing there are way more cpu models out there, what is comparable to the 8700k from AMD and which cpu should I look for in terms of upgrade that is similar priced and a cpu that I don't have to worry about getting replaced for sometime.
    If I was to upgrade, I will give my 8700k to my brother. As for my wife, well... she already got my 1080ti, but I will need to replace her ryzen 5 1600 which lead me to my third question.

My brother has i7 4760 cpu and my wife has a ryzen 5 1600x. If I was to upgrade, I am thinking giving my 8700k to my brother. As for my wife, what is a solid cpu upgrade for her? Her mb is asrock fatality ab350. I think my brother and my wife is overdue for an upgrade.

vegajf51
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 561
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/05 22:48:54 (permalink)
    2BorNot2B
    Hi Kevin,
    Thank you for your reply. I had to get that off my chest because I in my life I have only spent money on 3 computer graphic cards.
    You know it's funny I was digging through my attic and I found my first ever video card that I purchased back in the days when I was still playing wow.
    The first video card I purchased was Geforce 6800 GT and this thing cost me around $480 canadian back in the day. I think it was the 2nd year I got out of high school? Can't remember, the second graphic card was the 1080ti and the third was the evga 2080ti ftw3.

You pointed out that my current monitor is very demanding? I didn't know that. I always thought 4k resolution would be much more depending because of the resolution. Right now the ultrawide that I am using is the 34'' msi 144hz va panel. I did not knot that it's more demanding to run compare
    to a 4k monitor. I am guessing it's because of the size? I mean if there is a 34'' 4k monitor then it's going to be more demanding than what I have now right?

My second question, upgrading the ram kit. Should I upgrade the ram kit first or the cpu first to see a significant jump in fps? I am not expecting a huge fps  jump but something decent 10 fps jump is possible? Can you also please tell me more about what is QVL'd.
    Also knowing there are way more cpu models out there, what is comparable to the 8700k from AMD and which cpu should I look for in terms of upgrade that is similar priced and a cpu that I don't have to worry about getting replaced for sometime.
    If I was to upgrade, I will give my 8700k to my brother. As for my wife, well... she already got my 1080ti, but I will need to replace her ryzen 5 1600 which lead me to my third question.

My brother has i7 4760 cpu and my wife has a ryzen 5 1600x. If I was to upgrade, I am thinking giving my 8700k to my brother. As for my wife, what is a solid cpu upgrade for her? Her mb is asrock fatality ab350. I think my brother and my wife is overdue for an upgrade.

Comparable AMD cpu to 8700k would be a R5 3600X, would just drop in the B350 board with a bios update.... they are literally dead even when stock. 8700k bit faster in some game and 3600x a bit faster in others, the 8700k has a bit more with an overclock...3600x is usually faster in non gaming applications.

kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/06 06:51:46 (permalink)
    2BorNot2B
    Hi Kevin,

Happy to help.  As far as resolution, if you consider normal 1080P to be 1K at 1920x1080, by actual calculated number of pixels, 4K is actually 4K, normal 1440P is 1.78K and your monitor is 2.39K.  Then when you multiply by refresh rate or FPS you get the number of pixels you need to generate per second.  Thus if you are maxing out your 2080 Ti without an overclock, it will struggle to get up to the refresh rate of your monitor and lock a stable frame rate.  That's why gsync / freesync is so popular.

You can see the QVL for each ram kit on G.Skill's site.  There is some overlap but different platforms have different ram preferences.  Asus works well with 4x kits because of their T-topology memory trace layouts.  Higher frequency ram definitely yields higher frames rates in low resolution gaming where you aren't GPU bound/bottleneck, but in your case you are GPU bound most of the time.  There may be some cases where a highly loaded cpu core is bottlenecking FPS, then it would help.  You would really need to test it.  If you were tweaking your graphical settings and scaling to get solid 144FPS I would say you would want faster ram.  Definitely if you were running 1080p240 for pure e-sports.  I'm just pointing out the option for an upgrade, there of tons of people perfectly happy with 3000mhz ram.

Any change to AMD would be a side-grade for gaming performance, with better multitasking.  Any current AMD chip will be obsolete within a year.  How are those 2700X's doing?  For your wife's machine, that board will take anything including a 3950X, so whatever CPU can get a deal on.

The 9900K would be a nice all around upgrade and you wouldn't have to rebuild you system, can keep your MB.  I'm planning to keep my 9900K at least until 2022, probably longer.  The new Intel chips coming out are pretty compelling if you were building a new system.  Late last year I was considering going to X299 but don't need it. 

You could drop $4K for a new MB, CPU and RAM but not get any improvement in FPS.  GPU is the bottleneck.  Turn down your settings and/or get improved cooling and a fat overclock on the 2080 Ti.

post edited by kevinc313 - 2020/05/06 13:34:48
    Jim74205
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/08 08:29:50 (permalink)
    I would honestly just enjoy what you have, maybe bump up your CPU if needed, but for the most part just enjoy your system, you worked on it get your enjoyment out of it! I did the same thing once and I can also say chasing numbers is just not worth it to me anymore.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/08 08:41:51 (permalink)
    Jim74205
    I would honestly just enjoy what you have, maybe bump up your CPU if needed, but for the most part just enjoy your system, you worked on it get your enjoyment out of it! I did the same thing once and I can also say chasing numbers is just not worth it to me anymore.

post released from filter

Welcome to the EVGA Forums

Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

2BorNot2B
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/08 13:58:57 (permalink)
    Thank you all for replying. I really enjoy reading all of your replies.

If I switch to 9900k, will this at least increase the minimum FPS to reduce the amount of FPS drops in my games.

According to kevin, I may have to turn down my settings to medium on my current monitor to reduce the 60 or so frames that drop in destiny 2 while gaming. Not sure if you guys are familiar with destiny 2 but I tell ya whenever I arrive in the tower, my frames drop from average if 128-140 to 88-109fps. Now this also annoys me because with the MSI MPG341CQR the monitor starts flickering. If the frames stay between 125-140 I wouldn’t experience too bad of a flicker. I also went online and searched about how to reduce flickering and I believe I read it somewhere that the flickering is caused by harsh FPS drop and that causes the brightness of the screen to flicker. I am not pro as to how it works but that is why I am trying to increase my minimum FPS to avoid the flicker when I have gsync on. Now my monitor is not gsync credited but it has free sync. Does free sync work when I have the 2080ti ftw3?
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/10 09:24:27 (permalink)
    2BorNot2B
    Thank you all for replying. I really enjoy reading all of your replies.

If I switch to 9900k, will this at least increase the minimum FPS to reduce the amount of FPS drops in my games.

According to kevin, I may have to turn down my settings to medium on my current monitor to reduce the 60 or so frames that drop in destiny 2 while gaming. Not sure if you guys are familiar with destiny 2 but I tell ya whenever I arrive in the tower, my frames drop from average if 128-140 to 88-109fps. Now this also annoys me because with the MSI MPG341CQR the monitor starts flickering. If the frames stay between 125-140 I wouldn’t experience too bad of a flicker. I also went online and searched about how to reduce flickering and I believe I read it somewhere that the flickering is caused by harsh FPS drop and that causes the brightness of the screen to flicker. I am not pro as to how it works but that is why I am trying to increase my minimum FPS to avoid the flicker when I have gsync on. Now my monitor is not gsync credited but it has free sync. Does free sync work when I have the 2080ti ftw3?

Looks like there are ways of getting gsync working on your monitor, I have no direct experience, ymmv and results are not guaranteed.  Also look into the "low lag" setup for gsync, there are detailed articles.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/cve0dh/msi_mpg341cqr_gsync_compatible/

Medium settings across the board is overkill.  Some games have specific settings that are extremely demanding when maxed out but have little effect overall, like grass detail in GTA 5.  Check setting guides.  Typically the major ways to adjust load are MSAA and resolution scaling.  8x MSAA is extremely demanding at high res, might be just fine with 4x or even 2x.  FSAA just applies overall blur so don't use it with MSAA, only use it alone if you want very low load AA.  Slight resolution down scaling like 0.9x will significantly reduce load and the need for AA.

The 9900K seems like a reasonable upgrade path for your MB.  It will run AAA games at high frame rates for years to come and get you past the next two gens of Intel. You're going to need to do some *per-core* logging of your gaming activity to determine if your 8700K is causing your frame rate lows, if you see some cores going to 100% sustained during the frame rate drops, that's a pretty strong indicator.  Also read the Gamers Nexus review of the 9600K where they had problems in Far Cry 5, that was an issue of not having enough cores/threads for that game engine.  If your GPU is 99% use and the CPU cores aren't anywhere near 100%, then clearly it's the GPU. I'm not sure about X1 but I know Afterburner has this level of detail in it's logging.

Faster ram will help max out any CPU, 5-10%+ gains in some CPU benchmarks and CPU bound gaming, it's also just system balance, your system deserves higher end ram and it's not all that expensive. Unless by some luck you already have 3000CL14 b-die.  Here's a Patriot 4000CL19 b-die kit, you could get two kits for about $200 and they should run at XMP on your MB, maybe need some light tuning.  Their 4133CL19 kit was just $99 and their 4400CL19 kit is $129 right now.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YTKcCJ

I'm also assuming you already have an M.2 NMVe boot/game SSD and not sata.  If not, I'd look into a 2TB NVMe as a high priority, my preference is the HP EX950 2TB when it goes on sale under $250.

Otherwise your system is awesome as is, just focus on getting it dialed in, there are tons of people out there with good hardware that aren't getting the most from their systems.  I'm assuming your GPU is staying under 70C and overclocking properly.  CPU overclock is a whole other can of worms too.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2020/05/10 12:10:42
    2BorNot2B
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/20 20:00:49 (permalink)
    Today I saw some reviews and benchmarks for the new 10th gen chips and took a look at the prices on the 10900k and the 10600k... Heck even i5 now has 6 cores 12 threads at around $399 Canadian for the i5 10600k. Seems like the 8700k is really outdated...
    I am running 4.8ghz at 1.185 Vcore voltage on my 8700k. I really want to push my system to 5ghz.. but since I don't have the experience... I haven't done it and I haven't delided my cpu. Should I push my 8700k to 5ghz without deliding..Is it safe? I have Corsair 360 H150 pro I believe that's what I have.  10900k is freaking 760 bucks before taxes here in Canada and knowing the new ryzen 4000 series is only couple months away I don't know if my itch can let me go on any longer without buying a chip to upgrade. I am really tempting to buy a 3800x or 3900x and call it a day. Guys please stop me from buying a new chip give me a reason why I should really wait for the new ryzen chip.

I believe I also read it somewhere where the 10900k is about 10~15% faster than the 9900k, so if I am coming from 8700k....does that mean I will be getting more of a 25%~30% increase in performance? Since I am couple generations behind?
    Enlighten me again please. 
    Please also share your thoughts on the new 10th gen chips!

Ps
    I just had a thought... Should I just buy another 2k monitor and play games on that monitor rather then playing on the ultrawide.. Since kevin mentioned that 4k is easier to run then 3440x1440. Should I just buy another 2560x1440 monitor and call it a day? I mean... I should be able to hit minimum 125 fps in any games at high settings and enjoy those high fps at and I only need to spend about 400 bucks to get a decent 2k monitor. While getting a whole new cpu/motherboard....new rams I am looking at 800 bucks +

post edited by 2BorNot2B - 2020/05/20 20:10:51
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/21 17:53:35 (permalink)
    2BorNot2B 
    I believe I also read it somewhere where the 10900k is about 10~15% faster than the 9900k, so if I am coming from 8700k....does that mean I will be getting more of a 25%~30% increase in performance? Since I am couple generations behind?

If you look at 4K gaming benchmarks you will see the CPU almost doesn't even matter... the settings are entirely GPU bottlenecked. 4K gaming came out before the horsepower existed to guarantee it would have butter smooth gameplay at max details.

Case in point, let's look at Shadow of the Tomb Raider. At 4K on a GTX 1080, we are so GPU bound that an old 4790K is the same 33 FPS as a 9900K. Now bump that up to a 2080 Ti and you're still stuck at a whopping 56 FPS  You're going to have to bite the bullet and drop image quality settings, or use a lower resolution. I would recommend against upgrading the CPU or downgrading the monitor, and just save up. You're already talking about spending half the cost of a 3080 Ti and it won't fix the core problem. 

Have water, will cool. 
    Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/23 07:21:28 (permalink)
    If you want more GPU performance you can't make better deal then buying second hand GTX1080Ti SLI.
    I mean GTX1080Ti SLI litterary kill RTX2080Ti, that's insane difference... example if GTX1080Ti SLI struggle to get 120 fps, and give max 110fps... GTX1080 SLI have arround 90 and RTX2080Ti is 80. 30 fps difference.

But owners of GTX1080Ti reference are in advantage, if you go with SLI somehow reference or SC models are easiest.
    Special because price of second hand GTX1080Ti with reference PCB is cheapest. And I believe SLI is less problematic on default frequency.

Your computer is to new for upgrade. You should improve storage device.
    Switch to 1TB SSD Gen 4.0. 1TB SSD SATA III, leave smaller variants for Windows 7 version or fresh Windows drive if something go wrong with first, remove HDD from case if you want. Think about some small watercooling for start with soft tubes...
    Because in real life you will not notice upgrade even if you switch to best Ryzen. I mean on games, surfing, music, movies, etc...
    You need to spent a huge money for RTX2080Ti, she is just little stronger, first generation of RT... Believe me next 2-2.5 years you will be shocked how good stuff and worth of upgrade will show up.
    I'm not even close to retire from hardware upgrade. But now is bad, Ryzen hype, curse of Intel, if you compare in most situation you don't see difference, except if PC is working horse. 
    I used this period to completely replace old cloth. I didn't bought nothing 5-7 years because constant upgrade of hardware.
    And mine cloth is not so cheep, I used on DIESEL, REPLAY, sometimes LEVIS for jeans... and only original stuff from official distributors... That mean price go up to 100-150$ for sweatshirt only I look discount and pay max 80-90$. 
    But I don't buy only outer cloth branded, boxers, underwear, socks, everything need to be branded, Underwear mostly Calvin Klein. Because my opinion is that's minimum what average person deserve. I don't feel nice in luxury cloth, because if you no good car, a lot of money in pocket someone will think that your cloth is fake even if it's authetnic. But again cost significant ammount if you need to buy everything from scratch...and I replaced 70% for now. More then 30 differente peaces of cloth, even towels now I have NIKE complete, small-medium-large size, and I will need 2 of every size. I'm not enthusiasts only for hardware. I feel bad if crap is arround me, then I become sloppy, depressed and not care for my environment. I feel bad if I sit with computer in T-Shirts worth 15-20$. At least I look to pay 50-60-70 euro on discount... that mean real price usually double, most of time.

And still couldn't afford many things... My monitor is shama and new platform will arrive I will stay on monitor from 2010.
    I obsessively follow some giveaways for 4K monitors 27-32" but very rear that show up... And now when I save for DDR5 platform I can't afford monitor. Minimum I need for monitor is 550 euro. Without G-Sync, 32-34"... some bugget version. Or if I look for more features I need 27"... Very hard to find 550 euro in period when I save for DDR5 platform.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/23 14:51:02 (permalink)
    2BorNot2B
    Today I saw some reviews and benchmarks for the new 10th gen chips and took a look at the prices on the 10900k and the 10600k... Heck even i5 now has 6 cores 12 threads at around $399 Canadian for the i5 10600k. Seems like the 8700k is really outdated...
    I am running 4.8ghz at 1.185 Vcore voltage on my 8700k. I really want to push my system to 5ghz.. but since I don't have the experience... I haven't done it and I haven't delided my cpu. Should I push my 8700k to 5ghz without deliding..Is it safe? I have Corsair 360 H150 pro I believe that's what I have.  10900k is freaking 760 bucks before taxes here in Canada and knowing the new ryzen 4000 series is only couple months away I don't know if my itch can let me go on any longer without buying a chip to upgrade. I am really tempting to buy a 3800x or 3900x and call it a day. Guys please stop me from buying a new chip give me a reason why I should really wait for the new ryzen chip.

Ps
    I just had a thought... Should I just buy another 2k monitor and play games on that monitor rather then playing on the ultrawide.. Since kevin mentioned that 4k is easier to run then 3440x1440. Should I just buy another 2560x1440 monitor and call it a day? I mean... I should be able to hit minimum 125 fps in any games at high settings and enjoy those high fps at and I only need to spend about 400 bucks to get a decent 2k monitor. While getting a whole new cpu/motherboard....new rams I am looking at 800 bucks +

Like Kougar said your issue with framerate drops is your GPU maxing out.  Processor upgrade is a nice to have but its not going to fix that. 

At this point focus on pushing the 2080 Ti as hard as you can with OC, maybe even get a Kraken G12 AIO kit. You can get higher frame rates with careful setting tweaks. You can also set your GPU output res to 2560x1440 and monitor to 1:1, you'll have black bars but its definitely lower res. Then wait 6 months or so for the 3080 Ti if you really feel you need it.  If you're super keen on the e-sports framerates, look into what the preferred setup is for Overwatch, might be 1080P 240 Hz, or like you said 2560x1440.

I was recommending the 9900K because it drops right into your current MB and is pretty much the same as a 10700K.  9900K is worth it if you can get it on closeout for about $350 USD or less.  The 10600K is pretty much the same as your current CPU with a few nice features, NOT WORTH IT.  So do the 9900K on closeout or the 10900K (you have the AIO for it) or wait for the next gen of Ryzen or Intel.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2020/05/23 16:28:35
    Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/23 23:54:48 (permalink)
    Investing in RTX2080Ti for higher fps is bad option compare to GTX1080Ti SLI. 
    Look frame difference. We expect to see some card similar power as GTX1080Ti SLI, but NVIDIA launch RTX2080Ti.
    Now you can see how much performance they stole to customers.

GTX1080Ti SLI have 110 fps - RTX2080Ti 75 fps...
    if fps drop on GTX1080Ti SLI on 90, on RTX2080Ti is in that moment arround 60-65.
    Next moment fps jump on RTX2080Ti to 95 in same time on GTX1080TI SLI is almost 130 fps. 
    That's only 350$ investment for second hand GTX1080Ti for over 35% better performance then RTX2080Ti.
    GTX1080Ti SLI will compete and with RTX3080Ti... NVIDIA think to sell cards only because RT, and no need for raw GPU power improvement.
    How much they plan to ask for RTX3080Ti if she beat GTX1080Ti SLI. I could imagine, 1500$ for reference card. 

post edited by Vlada011 - 2020/05/23 23:58:45

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/24 16:45:53 (permalink)
    Vlada011
    Investing in RTX2080Ti for higher fps is bad option compare to GTX1080Ti SLI. 
    Look frame difference. We expect to see some card similar power as GTX1080Ti SLI, but NVIDIA launch RTX2080Ti.
    Now you can see how much performance they stole to customers.

GTX1080Ti SLI have 110 fps - RTX2080Ti 75 fps...
    if fps drop on GTX1080Ti SLI on 90, on RTX2080Ti is in that moment arround 60-65.
    Next moment fps jump on RTX2080Ti to 95 in same time on GTX1080TI SLI is almost 130 fps. 
    That's only 350$ investment for second hand GTX1080Ti for over 35% better performance then RTX2080Ti.
    GTX1080Ti SLI will compete and with RTX3080Ti... NVIDIA think to sell cards only because RT, and no need for raw GPU power improvement.
    How much they plan to ask for RTX3080Ti if she beat GTX1080Ti SLI. I could imagine, 1500$ for reference card. 

He's already got a 2080 Ti.  No question 1080 Ti SLI is fantastic if you can make it work for the games you play, which is not guaranteed.
    random_matt
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/25 15:58:45 (permalink)
    Considered ultrawide once, the 49" samsung one.

Corsair 5000D Airflow | EVGA 1000 G6 | EVGA X570 FTW | Ryzen 5800X | EVGA 360 CLC | Corsair 4000MHz 32GB|
    Corsair MP600 2TB | EVGA 3080 Ti FTW Hybrid | Alienware AW2721D | Windows 11

kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/25 17:34:52 (permalink)
    random_matt
    Considered ultrawide once, the 49" samsung one.

I've got the 43" LG 4K, it's like an ultrawide that's ultratall too.  LOL.
    DEJ915
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 544
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/26 12:35:24 (permalink)
    What memory kit do you have?  Overclocking your memory and tightening timings will help a bit.
    2BorNot2B
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/26 12:44:17 (permalink)
    The main issue here is my monitor starts to flicker when the frame rate drops from 144 stationary to 103 or dip below 100 in an instant when I turn the mouse.
    That is the main reason why I want to increase my minimum fps. To reduce the flicker.
    As to look for another 1080ti ftw3 to make it sli is not worth it. The only 1080 ti, not even the ftw3 version is sold for $900 used in my area on facebook market. First it's hard to find a legit card to buy and 2nd it's too expensive for what it is.
    I think my problem now is that my monitor is still too much to ask to run smoothly on a 2080ti. The bottom line is for me is that I think I got stupid and bought into 2080ti ftw3 ultra. It's a great card but to last only 2 years is absurd.
    I think the best bang for my money and at the same time to have that buttery smooth game play is to buy another 2k monitor, 27'' 144hz for about $3-$400. This way it's still less then buying one of the 8 core cpus and nothing else is needed.
    By dropping my resolution I am sure the 2080ti will handle it no problem. Less demanding and the frame time would be a lot more stable. 

Ps - Playing witcher 3 on my ultra wide is insanely satisfying. I still can't believe I didn't experience the witcher games until 2 days ago.

DEJ915
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 544
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/26 12:51:45 (permalink)
    Which wide panel did you get the Asus and Acer one are known to have horrible flickering it could just be your monitor.  From reading forum posts seems most of these panels do this whether gsync or freesync lol.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/272088/g-sync-flickering-issue-on-34-quot-and-35-quot-displays-update-3-/
    https://www.tftcentral.co...35vq-flickering-issue/
    post edited by DEJ915 - 2020/05/26 12:56:05
    2BorNot2B
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/26 13:10:43 (permalink)
    DEJ915
    What memory kit do you have?  Overclocking your memory and tightening timings will help a bit.

I have no experience in overclocking. I got my cpu to 4.8 ghz through watching youtube videos and have the settings the same as the youtubers.
    I have a Corsair h150i pro 360 AIO, idling at 34 degree Celsius. The hottest I have seen is around 73 Celsius. I would have better temp if my pc wasn't sitting in the worst area for air flow.
    I have never experienced  BSOD since I set it up since I got the parts in 2018. I experienced my first BSOD when I try to overlock my ram kits. Now it's running at 3200 but all I did was change from 3000 to 3200 in the bios and anything higher it becomes unstable/blue screen :(

I am currently using Trident G.skill RGB ram kit 16gigs dual channel at CL15-16-16-35.
    I am gonna list my spec again to the best of my knowledge and if you guys have any input to help me out in terms of upgrades or DIYs please share with me.
    I appreciate it.

I7-8700k at 4.8ghz x1, MCE is off.
    Maximus hero x MB x1
    16g Trident 3000mhz ddr4 ram dual channel kit x1
    360 AIO x1
    2080ti FTW3 Ultra x1
    Adata SU800 SSD x1
    1TB hard drive x1
    WD SN550 SSD x1
    1000 watt EVGA supernova Psu x1
    and for some reason I still have a dvd rom in the tower..
    That's it. 
    1 exhaust fan came with the tower, blowing out <---
    3 120mm fans that came with the AIO blowing out ^
    2 fans came with the tower for intake blowing in <--.
    I think my air flow in this build is wackie hence my speculation on my temp being higher with a 360 AIO.
    34'' MSI ultrawide at 3440x1440 x1

Also for the flickering problem. If I turn gsync off it's fine, no problem no flickering. It's when I turn it on, it starts to flicker due to fps spikes and drops. I read this on a forum and don't have the link to it. I tested it, by limiting my monitor's refresh rate to 120 instead of 144. Frame rate cap in game to 115 in games I know my card can hit and flicker stops.
    I don't think it's a faulty monitor, like they said, it's a faulty driver implantation. I do not know how to test it, obviously if it is a defective monitor then I would definitely want to get this sorted out. 

Have at it guys.
    Please enlighten me. Thank you.

post edited by 2BorNot2B - 2020/05/26 14:14:48
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/26 14:23:13 (permalink)
    @ 2BorNot2B

odd your post #24 above got snagged by the filter ... I've released it

kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/27 05:22:32 (permalink)
    Looks like there are ways to address the flickering issue you have, are you running gsync?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/buz7li/msi_optix_mag341cq_gsync_fix/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/bsgvh6/msi_optix_mag341cq_gsync_flicker_try_this/

You also don't have to run 144hz.  You should be able to set 100 or 90hz for more casual gaming, then use "low lag vsync" to lock FPS at that, tune settings so that it doesn't drop below.

What kind of temps are you seeing on the GPU?  What kind of GPU OC?  You probably need more / stronger fans or less obstructed front air flow.  Maybe a bottom intake fan.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2020/05/27 17:55:06
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/05/27 19:56:04 (permalink)
    What resolution you played most of the time in games?
    The reason i asked is have u tried changing cables connected to the GPU to the Monitor? It can make a difference.
    Are you using HDMI or Display Port?
    I would suggest using the display port connector instead.of.hdmi

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    2BorNot2B
    Re: My story and my take on PC and some questions. 2020/06/01 12:27:21 (permalink)
    3440x1440 is the resolution I play at.
    I am using display port cables.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile