EVGA

Feeling hopeless

Author
Syreater
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/01/11 07:18:05 (permalink)
So let me describe my situation to you. I have the 1080 ti sc2 hybrid. For as long as I have had this card, I have been having trouble with its temperatures. I mean bad. 68 degrees in ruiner with only 60% utilization and only reason why its at that is because i have set a cap at that temp. It is rather annoying because I have paid a premium to have a hybrid for lower temps, only to learn know that isn't always the case. This isn't even the highest temp I have had. 86 degree Celsius while playing man of medan??? The game is literally a movie and still wasn't at 100% utilization. Frustrated with the temps, after two years of playing (yes I know it seems like a long time to deal with a issue like this, honestly haven't had time to game much due to school) I decided to send in a RMA. Somehow they have stress tested it for a hour, and the highest temps they can get is 46 C. They let me know that they have replaced the hybrid kit and send it back to me. So i get it back plug it all back in the way I have it, and my card still somehow reaches the same temps that I had before. At this point, I really don't know what to do. I've had it set up as a exhaust on a friends pc and still get the same results as I have it currently set up rn as an intake.

If you want to know my setup it is:

CPU: i7-7700k
CPU Cooler: Noctua dh-15
Motherboard: ASUS Z270E
GPU Radiator Position: Set in the front as a intake, have tested it as an exhaust and the difference is next to none so I have it in the front due to cooler
Case: Fractal design r5

19 Replies Related Threads

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 08:18:47 (permalink)
    Sounds like maybe you need to try and reposition the radiator. If you have it in front are the radiator hoses at top or bottom? The routing is best if the hoses are coming out of the bottom of the radiator and the radiator is higher then the pump.  Might be better off if you can put the radiator at top pulling air in to the case from the top. Also a push/pull fan will work better as well.  If you have the screens on they will restrict air flow also. Plus your cpu cooler is  removing heat from the cpu but not from  the case. How many case fans do you have installed?  If that was my case i would probably have the gpu radiator in the front of the case in the top fan position pulling air in from the front as well as 2 more fans in the front pulling air in below it and the back fan and maybe a couple top fans as exhaust fans to help with the air circulation. Or i would have all 3 front fans drawing coolest air in, and the gpu radiator in the back of the case as an exhaust as well as top fans as an exhaust. You want to try and have as much air coming in as possible and try to make like the inside of the case has positive air pressure so it forces back out the exhaust fans easier. And again, the filter/screens are nice but they do restrict air flow.
    post edited by sparetimepc - 2020/01/11 08:37:25

jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 628
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 08:29:17 (permalink)
    I know the reviews say otherwise, but the front of that case looks extremely chocked for air. Also I am going to assume that EVGA tested your GPU and Hybrid Kit on an open air bench. Honestly I am not surprised by the temps that you are getting in that case seems about normal too me... What happens if you stress the GPU with the door on the front of the case open and the air filter removed? Also you may need to just increase the fan speeds, once again I am sure EVGA tested it with fans at max. Do you have any other fans on the case besides the ones on the front RAD? If yes where are they located and are they intake or exhaust fans? 

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

Syreater
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 08:41:15 (permalink)
    To jason, sure I am testing it in a closed system, but the testing I am doing is with evga stock fans plugged directly into the gpu so it definitely runs at 100%. I have tried it at the back in another system with the same results. With a hybrid card, i just expected it to usually stay at least below 60 with 65 being the absolute highest. With stress testing the card myself, for only 30 mins, with fans set at their max, i was still hitting well over 72 C.

To sparetime, I have done everything you said but I do think the amount of case fans I have are lacking when I think about it. But at the same time, this isn't the only rig I have tested this in. In this rig I use primarily I have three, one in the back and front, and another on the side
    jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 08:43:49 (permalink)
    Syreater
    To jason, sure I am testing it in a closed system, but the testing I am doing is with evga stock fans plugged directly into the gpu so it definitely runs at 100%. I have tried it at the back in another system with the same results. With a hybrid card, i just expected it to usually stay at least below 60 with 65 being the absolute highest. With stress testing the card myself, for only 30 mins, with fans set at their max, i was still hitting well over 72 C.

To sparetime, I have done everything you said but I do think the amount of case fans I have are lacking when I think about it. But at the same time, this isn't the only rig I have tested this in. In this rig I use primarily I have three, one in the back and front, and another on the side

Are those fans intake fans or exhaust fans? Honestly in this case I would run that radiator in the front of the case and set it up so that its blowing air into the case. Than I would use just a SINGLE fan in the rear of the case running as exhaust... This is probably going to be about the best that you can do in this case.  More fans in this case I believe will end up either not helping or more than likely hurting performance.  

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 08:46:20 (permalink)
    Actually thinking about this some more... Since this is just a single rad,  why not put two fans on the front of the case as intake fans and the radiator as an exhaust fan in the rear of the case? 

Syreater
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 08:47:30 (permalink)
    jasoncodispoti
    Syreater

Are those fans intake fans or exhaust fans? Honestly in this case I would run that radiator in the front of the case and set it up so that its blowing air into the case. Than I would use just a SINGLE fan in the rear of the case running as exhaust... This is probably going to be about the best that you can do in this case.  More fans in this case I believe will end up either not helping or more than likely hurting performance.  

That is literally my setup
    What the setup looks like (sorry for poor lighting): 

https://imgur.com/a/yIFng7V

restored post from Spam filter by Cool GTX
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2020/01/11 13:08:35
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 08:48:21 (permalink)
    Have you also ran it with the side of the case off and checked to see if it makes a difference?

Syreater
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 08:51:37 (permalink)
    https://imgur.com/a/yIFng7V (inside of my computer)

Yes I have ran it without the side on for the stress test i did when they sent the card back to me
    To jason, the noctua cooler prevents that from happening. Also I have already tried what you said, the difference was about 3 degrees cooler.
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 09:01:41 (permalink)
    Looking at your image I would make it a push/pull on the radiator with high performance fans from noctua and try and turn the radiator so both hoses are on the bottom to make sure there is no air pocket. Also make sure your CPU cooler fans are both pushing air towards the back so it goes right out the exhaust fan.
    post edited by sparetimepc - 2020/01/11 09:18:50

jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 09:23:12 (permalink)
    Looking at that picture it just looks chocked for air... removing the side panel will do nothing to fix that issue. You need to open the front door of the case, remove the air filter, and remove the side panel and see what happens.

Also what is the temp of the room you are in?

jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 09:28:48 (permalink)
    sparetimepc
    Looking at your image I would make it a push/pull on the radiator with high performance fans from noctua and try and turn the radiator so both hoses are on the bottom to make sure there is no air pocket. Also make sure your CPU cooler fans are both pushing air towards the back so it goes right out the exhaust fan.

Given how chocked that front panel is for air, very much this... You are going to need high quality fans to really be able to pull any kind of air through that radiator. By the way when I say open the front door to the case.. I mean run the GPU under load with the front door open and the air filter removed along with the side panel open. I am guessing the issue goes away... 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 13:10:36 (permalink)
    AIO as exhaust has to deal with all the heat from the CPU

Room Temp ?

What are the Current case fans & blowing In or Out ---> what RPM & how are the fans controlled ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Syreater
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 13:11:58 (permalink)
    Room temp is about 24 C but I am not having it as an exhaust, its an intake
    Syreater
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 13:16:07 (permalink)
    As for it being chocked by air, I think you might be right. There is a grill on the side of the case  that allows air to come in so i wouldn't say its too awful 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 13:28:40 (permalink)
     Any trapped air would try to rise & you want all the air out of the GPU - pump & in the radiator

You could gently tip the case - (if there are No mechanical HD in the PC) while the PC is running ---> Safest to do it with the PC Off though

When installing & the case is on its side - I always elevate the radiator above the card to allow any trapped air to migrate to the radiator

Running a custom fan curve for the RAM & Power section of your card ?

What are your OC settings ?
    Possibilities
    1) either your coolant is not circulating correctly
    2) there is not enough airflow over the radiators
    3) You pushing too much voltage on your OC
    4) AIO not correctly installed / bad TIM  (though you mentioned EVGA installed a New Hybrid .. so unlikely the issue)

-------------------------------------
    My SLI 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrids:  AIO Folding Rig

Room 21 C
     push pull fans on rad 45 C - under constant load running Folding at Home project 24/7  (88% -92% loads)

internal fan @ 100% RAM & Power section

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 13:47:23 (permalink)
    This is simply a problem of not having enough cool air flowing through the GPU rad, period. I'm sorry but the R5 is bad for air setups and is better suited for water cooling. About the best you can do here is get yourself an AIO for the CPU and mount it as exhaust on the top and mount the GPU AIO as exhaust in the rear and of course intake flow in the front.  That's my suggestion. An air cooler in a case is not conducive to low GPU temps, particularly one that has restrictive intake flow. Personally I ditched the stock Hybrid fan and run two Scythe AP-14  push/pull exhaust at 90% off a motherboard header. I idle at 23C and max out at 47-50C overclocked to 2038 after hours of gaming.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Syreater
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 14:03:13 (permalink)
    yeah it seems what that is going to do. I haven't honestly tweaked any of the OC settings, all of it is on default settings. I will need to test out some of the things that you guys have told me but I thank you all for the help. 
    Syreater
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 14:21:16 (permalink)
    Do you know where the Scythe AP-14 are sold at? Seems out of stock everywhere i look

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Feeling hopeless 2020/01/11 16:41:29 (permalink)
    Syreater
    Do you know where the Scythe AP-14 are sold at? Seems out of stock everywhere i look

I probably bought all of them.  You can also use the AP-15 and run them at 75-80% and accomplish the same thing. I use the Nidec based fans because they last forever, are quiet and are rated among the highest for both static pressure and airflow. They are not cheap, but nobody beats them at this size IMO.
    https://www.amazon.com/SE...2Caps%2C225&sr=8-2

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile