EVGA

EVGA SC15 laptop (now just over 1 year old) problems!

Author
MrErwinn
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/09/04 04:57:48 (permalink)
I've have my SC15 for a little over a year now and while it has been running very well most of the time some issues have started to crop up. Any help with any of these would be fantastic, I have enjoyed this laptop very much so far.

I've undervolted -115mV on core and cache using throttlestop a while ago

a) Lately there seems to be some kind of burnt smell coming from the fans. It is very subtle and not like smoke or anything just a mild burn smell. Perhaps it's the smell of old dust or singed circuits. I have done a good job of keeping temps (CPU and GPU) below 90C (usually around 75-80C with less CPU intensive games) - using the fan boost whenever gaming on a clean hard surface and even propping up the back for more air flow, so I can't really see any particular reason for this smell. To be fair I have used the laptop for gaming quite regularly and for long periods so perhaps it's due to long-term low temp burn? 

b) In the last month (every since I installed COD infinite warfare) I have been experiencing memory dump crashes or similar while playing a few games, and some mild graphical hiccups or abnormalities. I also get the occasional BSOD crash for different reasons, sometimes while game is running sometimes not. It seems like I have a problem with RAM, SSD, HDD, or GPU but having run some diagnostic tools for each no errors have been found ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've installed new Nvidia drivers a few times so perhaps I could wipe all of the old ones and install the newest but I don't think it will help much. I'm a little worried I've damaged the GPU (I have used precisionX with the superclock mode a little in the past but didn't notice much improvement so stopped using it a while ago) but since I've kept temperatures below 90 at all times I can't see how.

c) a small last thing I noticed is that precisionX is showing my GPU clock is at 1400MHz even when at Idle on battery which seems excessive...

Should I worry about the slight smell and what can I do to stop these crashes?

post edited by MrErwinn - 2019/09/04 05:02:48

12 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA SC15 laptop (now just over 1 year old) problems! 2019/09/04 06:12:55 (permalink)
    Clean the cooler / fans with can of air or vacuum

Use a laptop Cooler --- I do & they help

DDU your Nvidia drivers .... then clean install

What OS - details .... MS updates can cause many issues

Test after a Clean BOOT .... no idea what software you have loaded & is running in background

Game settings & what changes have you made in Nvidia control panel

What display do you have on your SC15 -  120Hz 1080p IPS G-SYNC screen ?

EVGA Support Manual for EVGA SC15 (516-34-1833)

FAQ ID # 59708   Troubleshooting Steps to help allow the EVGA GTX card to lower its clocks when idling.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

MrErwinn
    Re: EVGA SC15 laptop (now just over 1 year old) problems! 2019/09/04 07:51:49 (permalink)
    other than blowing air with a can of air how can I easily clean the fans? The screws on this laptop are not normal and I'll have to order a screw driver with a special star-shaped head to remove the case, which I believe voids the warranty no?

I actually recently bought a laptop cooler- very cheap from a shop but I intend to get a better one.

Yeah I'll do the DDU later tonight

Windows 10 version 1809 installed in april 2019

I've restarted numerous times, same graphical hitching. For example while playing battlefront 2 (2017 version) while walking around on a particular level the textures on the ground keep changing right infront of me, like they are adjusting detail level but very visibly. Not something I've seen before. I have weird texture issues in other games too, but just little flashes of abnomal textures (white/checkered/black) but too fast to see properly.

Have a few things running on startup/manually opened after startup though: Throttlestop, f.lux, dropbox, onedrive, precisionX, avast antivirus (I use windows defender).

Settings on Battlefront 2 are maxed out everything, running around 60-80 fps. Just tried GTAV and also there are weird texture problems visible at times - almost maxed out everything.

I have the 1080p panel with 120hz refresh

I've attached the nvidia control settings. Just changed power management mode to adaptive and preferred refresh rate to application controlled to see if the gpu clock will lower at idle but it's still at 1400mhz
    MrErwinn
    Re: EVGA SC15 laptop (now just over 1 year old) problems! 2019/09/04 07:53:07 (permalink)

post edited by MrErwinn - 2019/09/04 07:55:32

Attached Image(s)

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: EVGA SC15 laptop (now just over 1 year old) problems! 2019/09/04 09:12:04 (permalink)
    MrErwinn
    I have weird texture issues in other games too, but just little flashes of abnomal textures (white/checkered/black) but too fast to see properly.

Sounds like your gpu has a problem. What happens if you underclock your gpu to max negative values on the core and memory?
    MrErwinn
    Re: EVGA SC15 laptop (now just over 1 year old) problems! 2019/09/05 04:16:56 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Sounds like your gpu has a problem. What happens if you underclock your gpu to max negative values on the core and memory?

Yeah I'm not entirely sure, I'll check later. I had the power management mode in nvidia control center set at maximum performance for over half a year. I'm a little worried that it isn't good for GPU health, like dry-firing a bow. Perhaps I'm wrong, but having it run at 1400MHz at all times seems bad, when it doesn't do anything. Anyway I'll see if changing that setting improves the graphics issue in the coming days
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA SC15 laptop (now just over 1 year old) problems! 2019/09/05 09:14:59 (permalink)
    Okay.
    MrErwinn
    Re: EVGA SC15 laptop (now just over 1 year old) problems! 2019/09/09 03:57:43 (permalink)
    I've tried a number of games and with the adaptive power management mode and my temps have dropped 10C and I don't see the glitches as often.

However I do have repetitive memory dumps on certain games which makes them unplayable as they only run for 10-20 minutes before crashing to desktop. Is there any program you suggest to try and work out if this is a hardware fault?

Many thanks for your help
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA SC15 laptop (now just over 1 year old) problems! 2019/09/09 05:48:36 (permalink)
    Sounds like it is a hardware fault.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA SC15 laptop (now just over 1 year old) problems! 2019/09/09 12:30:18 (permalink)
    Gotta try underclocking your gpu.
    acefrozen1
    • Total Posts : 41
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: EVGA SC15 laptop (now just over 1 year old) problems! 2019/09/10 20:10:28 (permalink)
    Dropping your CPU temps will also help keep your GPU cooler in these systems. Make sure you have PXM installed, you should try undervolting your CPU and setting a fan curve with 75c as 100% fan speed for both CPU and GPU. A good safe undervolt on the SC17 is about -50mv, but your experience may vary since you are on the SC15. Make sure that you save those changes to a new profile on the left side of PXM and activate the new profile every time you use your system for the best results. I also recommend dropping the CPU max clocks a bit, but thats just what i would do. The drop in performance is negligible for a pretty good drop in overall temps.

The bits used for the back of these laptops are standard T5 (iirc) Torx and after the bottom of the case is off the rest of the system uses standard philips (+) screws. If you want to clean the fans and re-paste the CPU/GPU its a very straightforward process and might also help with your temps. Someone else on these forums by the name of kaneorotar has already posted some pics of how to disassemble the SC15 here: https://forums.evga.com/H...eir-SC15-m2823990.aspx
    post edited by acefrozen1 - 2019/09/10 20:14:23

DESKTOP: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.5ghz | Asus ROG GTX 1080TI | 1200w EVGA Supernova P2 with EVGA white sleeved cables | 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @3600 | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Rosewill Cullinan | Garuda Linux

LAPTOP: Asus ROG G513QY AMD Advantage Edition | Garuda Linux

WORKSTATION: HP Z600 | 2x Intel Xeon x5675 @3.2ghz | EVGA GTX 1060 6gb | 24gb Corsair DDR3 ECC | AlmaLinux

SERVER: Lenovo Thinkstation | Intel Xeon E5-1650 v4 @3.6ghz | 32gb DDR4 ECC | Ubuntu Server

MrErwinn
    Re: EVGA SC15 laptop (now just over 1 year old) problems! 2019/10/18 02:58:09 (permalink)
    thank you all for the advice, I've decided to disable CPU turbo in throttlestop since it really makes no discernible difference.

Lately though I've been noticing that my SSD is abnormally warm when web-browsing and doing other non-intensive activities. The laptop is sitting on a desk in this case, with clear space for ventilation etc. it quickly creeps up to 50-60 degrees C ~30 minutes after waking up. the CPU and GPU are cooler at around 45 - 50 C. This makes no sense to me as they should usually be producing the most heat. I have been monitoring the SSD with crystalmark and there is no abnormally high read/write usage to explain the temps. Looking at EVGA precision the system temp is also consistently ~10 deg higher than CPU or GPU. In the past this was usually the other way around...
    Maybe I'm being over-protective but 55C at all times for an SSD seems a bit too much
    Thanks for any help
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA SC15 laptop (now just over 1 year old) problems! 2019/10/18 03:51:54 (permalink)
    use a Laptop Cooler..... I use one

Wonder if the battery / power circuit is the source of that heat ?

You should run a deep security scan with up to date signature files - just to make sure the system is clean

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile