EVGA

Helpful ReplyHow I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief...

Author
TheMadDutchDude
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 212
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2019/03/13 18:19:56 (permalink)
Hey guys,

This is more of a 'let me get it out of my system' type of post, as well as a warning for all on this forum that I've grown to appreciate more and more. Let me give you the lowdown, and how you can avoid it.

Let's start by going back in time, to September 9th, 2018. I've purchased a laptop from a seemingly good merchant, for the princely sum of $334.49 with delivery included. All was well, and I was stoked to finally have a laptop with more power than the Ultrabook I was using prior to that, which was from 2013. It was a superb laptop, but upgrade time came around, and after having used one at work, I was sold on trying to find one. The laptop in question is a Dell Latitude E7470, to keep things more ... uh, precise.

So, knowing that I got it for a steal (ironic, you'll see why soon enough), I set out to buy a Dell 7480 after yet again having used one of those at work, and I got it for a decent price of $400 give or take a few bucks. Neat! An upgrade to a newer, thinner bezel on the laptop, slightly more horse power under the hood, and a better laptop in general with Type-C. I proceeded to release the ol' E7470 back into the world and another buyer took it from me for $440 (profit!). All was well, and I thought I was about to walk off with $40 extra in my pocket and a new laptop.

Heh, yeah, that's what you'd think. So, some of you may know that PayPal is unable to open any form of dispute after 180 days of a transaction happening. It's written in their policy, and it has something to do with the law. Roll on day 180, March 8th, 2019. All is still well. Day 181 unfolds, and the laptop, according to my buyer, has now been locked with Computrace. For those unaware, Computrace is a BIOS-level bit of software/firmware that allows a user with a valid license, typically an organization, to remotely lock and destroy the OS at the click of a button when it is active in the BIOS. Now, you can also de-activate it or disable it entirely, but if it is active, then the user likely has a license tied to that machine.

Now, here's where it first got shady, and I should've suspected that something was up from that point on. The original seller tried to open a case to refund me (yeah, really!) without requesting the laptop to be returned. Seems rather suspicious, right? I thought nothing of it, let the claim close itself as I never heard anything after asking if she'd like me to return it, and went on with life.

I didn't know anything about Computrace until last night, when I heard about it and did some digging. My buyer has supposedly reported this machine to the cops, has a case file, Sheriff's name, contact info, and all the good stuff that you'd get your hands on if you found out you have stolen property.

I emailed him to explain the situation, and to clear my name of any possible wrongdoing. I told him that I purchased it from a lady and sold it on to him for a profit. Being totally honest about it, I explained the entire situation in an email that was probably half the length of this post. Anyway, he finally replied to me today to tell me that another Sheriff is working on the case, and provided me with another number, all of which relate to the original office which he claims to have filed it through. Seems legit thus far, right?

So, PayPal escalated my claim to a higher level than just a dispute, and have requested that he returns the laptop to me. He told me in the email that he has already returned the laptop to a hospital from which it apparently was stolen. Already, huh? Seems a little too soon to me, but the laptop might be in the police department.

I'm still awaiting the final verdict, and I have a 50/50 chance that he is simply trying to bluff his way into not paying for the laptop. Although, the whole 180/181 day thing seems like a totally legitimate fraud from the original seller, and possibly even the buyer that took it from me. I have yet to hear from the police department (I contacted them) regarding the legitimacy of this case, and I have also yet to hear anything from the buyer coming forward with an official police report.

Creating a dispute against the original seller was denied immediately, so I called to inquire into the situation. I was on hold for 40 minutes to talk to a supervisor - great, I can recite their entire hold story from memory now - who basically told me that they cannot open a case, even though it was literally only a matter of days past their maximum limit of 180. It has something to do with the laws and breaking their own policy. I politely told him that I will discontinue my service through eBay permanently, and that I will heavily reconsider my online payment options from here on out. The best he could come up with is 'I am sorry to hear that, sir' ... yeah, right!

I guess this ultimately lands me at my final point of playing the waiting game to see what transpires from this bloomin' nightmare. I'm just sick to deal of eBay promising the world to you with regards to safety, yet stuff like this is all too common. I will hold up my hand and tell you now that I would rather sell stuff on this forum, at a discounted rate, and lose more money, than ever participate in that scandal that they call a safe auction place.

As for how to avoid getting scammed on such a level:
Always ask the seller if Computrace is active and ask for proof. If it is, steer clear immediately!
If a deal seems too good to be true, it more than likely is.
Take this last one how you wish: do not use eBay for such electronics.

Whew. That's possibly the longest forum post I have ever written. I hope that it provides a little help to someone here. Even if I only help someone save their cash, it's better than no one.

Don't get scammed, folks. Please take this as a very real lesson, and one that I would highly encourage you to recall whenever considering an electronics purchase on eBay. I would never wish this upon anyone. Admittedly, $440 isn't the worst it could be, but it's still around 20 hours of overtime, after tax, to make up for it. I hate working to make others richer, especially when they literally robbed me for the money.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/13 18:30:18 (permalink)
dang 

No laptop = No prof IMO

Did it happen - maybe --> so send Laptop to Me or the Police --> Or NO refund

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Delirious
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 17474
  • Ribbons : 61
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/13 18:40:10 (permalink)
I rarely buy on ebay anymore unless its a sure thing or I can afford to take a loss. Thankful for amazon

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10103
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/13 22:32:47 (permalink)
I would be contacting them again and see how they stick to 180
days when you have the sheriffs name, phone number, email and case number. Normally when they are given that kind of information they will talk to the law enforcement and hand over all documents about the sale to the police. You might not get the money back but the person could be looking at jail time for filing a false police report or selling stolen goods.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

panzlock
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1736
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/14 07:40:29 (permalink)
Shame people resort to this kind profit making operation but individuals using online services to purchase merchandise are also guilty of gullibility. I am very calculating when purchasing something as I have done my research and discovered too many deceptive transactions. As a result I have never actually made an eBay or Craigslist purchase.

However, your story was suspenseful, informative and dramatic. I enjoyed the unfolding climax despite the lack of nudity, action sequences and profanity. Character development was also terse and deserves more screen time. 5.7/10  Would read again.
post edited by panzlock - 2019/03/14 07:47:30
transdogmifier
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6116
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/14 07:50:36 (permalink)
I don't buy stuff off of eBay....except Disneyana pins....10 bucks...I don't really think they'll come after me for that..and I certianly won't waste my time going after someone who doesn't
deliver..I'll just leave bad feedback and move on.

I want a laptop? I'll go directly to eVGA, CyberPower, etc...to buy one..

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
Deepcool LT720
Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
Phanteks P500A Case

aka_STEVE_b
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 17692
  • Ribbons : 69
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/14 07:55:16 (permalink)
Pretty intricate web ....

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/14 12:10:36 (permalink)
Sorry to hear that.
rblaes_99
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1951
  • Ribbons : 15
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/14 14:28:18 (permalink)
so you refunded the buyer already?  did i miss that in the post?

TheMadDutchDude
Superclocked Member
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/14 18:01:00 (permalink)
Cool GTX
dang 

No laptop = No prof IMO

Did it happen - maybe --> so send Laptop to Me or the Police --> Or NO refund

I wish it were that simple... he still hasn't replied to the case, and I am hopeful that it remains that way.

Delirious
I rarely buy on ebay anymore unless its a sure thing or I can afford to take a loss. Thankful for amazon

You're not wrong! I will never use them again. I'll only buy from legitimate places now. This was another nail in the coffin that I thought was already sealed shut.

Hoggle
I would be contacting them again and see how they stick to 180
days when you have the sheriffs name, phone number, email and case number. Normally when they are given that kind of information they will talk to the law enforcement and hand over all documents about the sale to the police. You might not get the money back but the person could be looking at jail time for filing a false police report or selling stolen goods.

Sadly, it's not me with the police report. It was the guy who has reported me who came up with that info. I've yet to hear from that police station or the Sheriff. Weird, don't you think?

panzlock
Shame people resort to this kind profit making operation but individuals using online services to purchase merchandise are also guilty of gullibility. I am very calculating when purchasing something as I have done my research and discovered too many deceptive transactions. As a result I have never actually made an eBay or Craigslist purchase.

However, your story was suspenseful, informative and dramatic. I enjoyed the unfolding climax despite the lack of nudity, action sequences and profanity. Character development was also terse and deserves more screen time. 5.7/10  Would read again.

The lack of nudity was a forum rule decision - sorry! xD

I'll add more info into it when I can, but for now, this is where we have to leave it. I don't want to include names for obvious reasons, but I can come up with some aliases. 

transdogmifier
I don't buy stuff off of eBay....except Disneyana pins....10 bucks...I don't really think they'll come after me for that..and I certianly won't waste my time going after someone who doesn't
deliver..I'll just leave bad feedback and move on.

I want a laptop? I'll go directly to eVGA, CyberPower, etc...to buy one..

It was more for the fact that I was using eBay to flip items. I agree, though. From now on, I'll consider new and only new.

aka_STEVE_b
Pretty intricate web ....

Not sure if intricate, or greedy...

Sajin
Sorry to hear that.

Thanks, man. I hope this helps someone out in the long run, though.

rblaes_99
so you refunded the buyer already?  did i miss that in the post?

Absolutely not. I will wait for the case to close before even considering doing that.

As it currently stands, he has not replied to the case on PayPal, nor has he provided anymore proof that he really spoke to the police or that it really was stolen. This might be a fake attempt to steal cash, when he doesn't really know what he's doing. I've no idea. It could be legit, but it could also be a fake. We will see how it plays out in the following week or so.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/14 18:48:20 (permalink)
Why would a "stolen laptop" go unlocked for Over 180 days ... you had it for how long before the "buyer"

I can tell you -- Corps are Not worried about the Value of the Hardware ---> It's the Corp Information & Security they worry about.

That laptop if reported by the employee would have been locked in less than 1 day

It does not add up

GL

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

TheMadDutchDude
Superclocked Member
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/14 19:45:43 (permalink)
They just decided in the buyer's favor. They said the buyer has provided them with the shipping information.

Funny thing is, the email shows both a blank number and blank shipment company.

I don't get how the heck they decided that...

You're correct, it would be locked within 24 hours as it 'phones home' once every 24 hours.
post edited by TheMadDutchDude - 2019/03/14 19:46:46
TheMadDutchDude
Superclocked Member
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/14 19:59:08 (permalink)
Just got off of the phone with PayPal, and the agent reverted the case in my favor immediately due to the lack of tracking. He actually returned the machine to the hospital that it was supposedly stolen from, but they instructed him to return it to me, which automatically wins it in my favor. Being the honest person that I am, I'd have returned it to them myself, but I never even got the chance.

I'm still not in the clear, as he can ask his credit card company to step in, but for now... that's where I stand.

I'm extremely skeptical that I am going to retain the money. I think I am going to have to unlink my bank account at the very least. I can put it on the credit card if the worst happens... but I absolutely refuse to have it come out of the bank.
post edited by TheMadDutchDude - 2019/03/14 20:03:25
panzlock
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1736
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/15 06:34:19 (permalink)
I remember back in the day when cases like this could be solved face to face and in under 5 minutes. I'm going to wish you luck with this dilemma but what I really want to offer are suggestions. I will refrain from the latter given my nature to resolve issues like they did in the 40's.
STR1D3R_2
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1431
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/15 13:16:40 (permalink)
Sorry you are having to go through all this and hope it all works out in your favor. It sickens me that people like that exist and breathe the same air. I too am in favor of the good ol' fashion face to face resolution, not sure about the 40's but the 70's 80's and 90's I sure am
Good luck in the weeks to come

Affiliate code E1HEL4HYPS
Croq360
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/15 16:52:46 (permalink)
Sorry to hear about that nightmare you had.  I have pretty much stopped buying on eBay, never got burned, just have gotten real wary of some of the offers.  I still do purchase occasionally, but most of my stuff gets bought on Amazon these days.
Shenksy
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/15 17:14:52 (permalink)
Good luck OP. Never heard of a stolen piece of computer hardware having a tracking device here in the UK. It's usually new Apple products that are targeted on eBay UK. 

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/15 18:34:37 (permalink)

EBay is absolutely teeming with shifty buyers and sellers like this, and my experience with EBay/Paypal's 'resolution service' is that they are not even pretending to be interested in fairness or the truth, even with proof, and there are many scammers who know exactly how to manipulate their 'system'. I only use EBay as a last resort, and expect to be ripped off more often than not the few times I have used it (and have not been disappointed on that count).

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

MsRavenn
  • Total Posts : 79
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/16 05:22:17 (permalink)
I have never trusted Ebay .Mainly because  It's a hit or miss  on rather or not you will actually get what you pay for .I chose to avoid it mainly because the way they have it setup I can't exactly explain why it seemed like a suspicious site it just simply gave me a feeling like nope avoid this site. I know it sounds crazy but later after seeing so many  talking about scams and such I was kinda glad it seems I made the right choice.

It's Not any more polite to cover your mouth when you burp. It's like covering your Butt when you fart !!!
Squall_Rinoa86
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1735
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/17 03:34:38 (permalink)
TheMadDutchDude
Hey guys,

This is more of a 'let me get it out of my system' type of post, as well as a warning for all on this forum that I've grown to appreciate more and more. Let me give you the lowdown, and how you can avoid it.

Let's start by going back in time, to September 9th, 2018. I've purchased a laptop from a seemingly good merchant, for the princely sum of $334.49 with delivery included. All was well, and I was stoked to finally have a laptop with more power than the Ultrabook I was using prior to that, which was from 2013. It was a superb laptop, but upgrade time came around, and after having used one at work, I was sold on trying to find one. The laptop in question is a Dell Latitude E7470, to keep things more ... uh, precise.

So, knowing that I got it for a steal (ironic, you'll see why soon enough), I set out to buy a Dell 7480 after yet again having used one of those at work, and I got it for a decent price of $400 give or take a few bucks. Neat! An upgrade to a newer, thinner bezel on the laptop, slightly more horse power under the hood, and a better laptop in general with Type-C. I proceeded to release the ol' E7470 back into the world and another buyer took it from me for $440 (profit!). All was well, and I thought I was about to walk off with $40 extra in my pocket and a new laptop.

Heh, yeah, that's what you'd think. So, some of you may know that PayPal is unable to open any form of dispute after 180 days of a transaction happening. It's written in their policy, and it has something to do with the law. Roll on day 180, March 8th, 2019. All is still well. Day 181 unfolds, and the laptop, according to my buyer, has now been locked with Computrace. For those unaware, Computrace is a BIOS-level bit of software/firmware that allows a user with a valid license, typically an organization, to remotely lock and destroy the OS at the click of a button when it is active in the BIOS. Now, you can also de-activate it or disable it entirely, but if it is active, then the user likely has a license tied to that machine.

Now, here's where it first got shady, and I should've suspected that something was up from that point on. The original seller tried to open a case to refund me (yeah, really!) without requesting the laptop to be returned. Seems rather suspicious, right? I thought nothing of it, let the claim close itself as I never heard anything after asking if she'd like me to return it, and went on with life.

I didn't know anything about Computrace until last night, when I heard about it and did some digging. My buyer has supposedly reported this machine to the cops, has a case file, Sheriff's name, contact info, and all the good stuff that you'd get your hands on if you found out you have stolen property.

I emailed him to explain the situation, and to clear my name of any possible wrongdoing. I told him that I purchased it from a lady and sold it on to him for a profit. Being totally honest about it, I explained the entire situation in an email that was probably half the length of this post. Anyway, he finally replied to me today to tell me that another Sheriff is working on the case, and provided me with another number, all of which relate to the original office which he claims to have filed it through. Seems legit thus far, right?

So, PayPal escalated my claim to a higher level than just a dispute, and have requested that he returns the laptop to me. He told me in the email that he has already returned the laptop to a hospital from which it apparently was stolen. Already, huh? Seems a little too soon to me, but the laptop might be in the police department.

I'm still awaiting the final verdict, and I have a 50/50 chance that he is simply trying to bluff his way into not paying for the laptop. Although, the whole 180/181 day thing seems like a totally legitimate fraud from the original seller, and possibly even the buyer that took it from me. I have yet to hear from the police department (I contacted them) regarding the legitimacy of this case, and I have also yet to hear anything from the buyer coming forward with an official police report.

Creating a dispute against the original seller was denied immediately, so I called to inquire into the situation. I was on hold for 40 minutes to talk to a supervisor - great, I can recite their entire hold story from memory now - who basically told me that they cannot open a case, even though it was literally only a matter of days past their maximum limit of 180. It has something to do with the laws and breaking their own policy. I politely told him that I will discontinue my service through eBay permanently, and that I will heavily reconsider my online payment options from here on out. The best he could come up with is 'I am sorry to hear that, sir' ... yeah, right!

I guess this ultimately lands me at my final point of playing the waiting game to see what transpires from this bloomin' nightmare. I'm just sick to deal of eBay promising the world to you with regards to safety, yet stuff like this is all too common. I will hold up my hand and tell you now that I would rather sell stuff on this forum, at a discounted rate, and lose more money, than ever participate in that scandal that they call a safe auction place.

Always ask the seller if Computrace is active and ask for proof. If it is, steer clear immediately!

Whew. That's possibly the longest forum post I have ever written. I hope that it provides a little help to someone here. Even if I only help someone save their cash, it's better than no one.

Don't get scammed, folks. Please take this as a very real lesson, and one that I would highly encourage you to recall whenever considering an electronics purchase on eBay. I would never wish this upon anyone. Admittedly, $440 isn't the worst it could be, but it's still around 20 hours of overtime, after tax, to make up for it. I hate working to make others richer, especially when they literally robbed me for the money.

Crazy.. Why not just buy the Dell G5/G7? They are essentially the Latitude.. This is one of the reasons I refuse to buy used hardware...

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
My Affiliate Code: AN1FW0VMG6
kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8755
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/17 11:35:06 (permalink)
And this is why my last purchase from Ebay was about 14 years ago. If I am buying on-line it is Amazon...(fulfilled by Amazon), or reputable sites with long positive histories, Crutchfield, New Egg, EVGA, Rock Auto. Otherwise I like the old fashioned Craigslist transactions, faced to face, cash in hand.....and I always talk to the person first on the phone, and don't deal with people if they have a certain accent. (Take that for what you will).

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10103
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/17 12:16:15 (permalink)
I would be trying to see if the information for the sheriff is even real or if it's part of the scam. Depending on the city it seems unlikely a sheriff would be responsible for stolen goods under $750.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

TheMadDutchDude
Superclocked Member
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/17 19:30:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2023/10/17 13:41:12
I have contacted Absolute (Computrace) about the possibility of a case number being four digits long when they deal with hundreds of thousands a year.

It’s all a scam, I think.
STR1D3R_2
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1431
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/03/23 15:25:57 (permalink)
Any update?
Sounds like a scam to me as well

Affiliate code E1HEL4HYPS
jlucie
  • Total Posts : 67
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/04/02 13:52:45 (permalink)
Thanks for the warning, definitely important to be vigilante these days!
castrator86
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 816
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/04/04 11:42:16 (permalink)
Any update on this?

I always find this fascinating. I got burned back in like, 2009 on some kid who bought Guitar Hero for PC only to demand a refund when his laptop couldn't run it, claiming what I sold him was defective. They immediately ruled in his favor & even said he didn't need to ship it back to me.

Immediately de-linked by my bank account & I still have a negative balance in Paypal to this day.

I'll never use their service ever again.

scaper28
  • Total Posts : 61
Re: How I just lost $440 on eBay due to a thief... 2019/04/09 01:44:45 (permalink)
So sorry to read this ,  I hate selling high value items the risk of being scammed is so high :-(

TheMadDutchDude
Hey guys,

PC SPECS
Be-quiet dark pro 900 v2
Intel I9-9900k
Asus XI Extreme
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
Corsair HX1000I
Samsung 970 500GB EVO
Samsung 960 1TB  EVO
KingPin RTX 2080TI Hybrid
Acer Predator XB271HU
EK 360 Extreme X1
EK D5 pump res combo