EVGA

States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax.

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 21477
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/07/29 07:27:13 (permalink)
Nereus
kram36
Nereus
kram36
Newegg's home office is located in Commiefornia, just like EVGA is. The State I live in is not on Newegg's required list of States to collect tax from. Why is EVGA charging me a sales tax at checkout and when did it start? Again, I do not need EVGA "taking care of me", I'm a grown man.and I can manage my fiances and taxes myself.

Because EVGA chooses to obey the law as they operate in all 50 states. You no longer need to have a physical presence to have nexus in a given state. Newegg usually charges sales tax too, possibly you got it through a 3rd party selling on Newegg that doesn't give a crap. Regardless, what exactly do you hope to achieve here? Do you think EVGA are going to refund your sales tax? Do you even realize that sales tax is NOT money that goes to the seller, it is money they collect on behalf of the state the item was sold to, so if you want to be angry, be angry at your state for charging sales tax.. sheesh. 

I never buy from 3rd party sellers on Newegg and the card shown is sold and shipped by Newegg. Maybe you missed this part, I clicked the States that Newegg is required to collect sales tax on, which would be the same for EVGA, both are located in Commiefornia and I DO NOT live in any of the States listed. Newegg is following the law, EVGA is not.

Props for not buying 3rd party - wise move, I missed that.

Newegg is following the sales tax laws *where they legally have to*. EVGA is following the sales tax laws of *all* states that have sales tax because they should - it's certainly not against the law to collect duly owed sales tax lol, whether they legally have to collect it or not - you still owe it. Eventually it will be a legal requirement for all states anyway.

More and more states are adding themselves to that list because clearly it is a huge source of tax revenue, but more importantly for your situation legally you should be paying it regardless, whether the retailer remits it for you, or you remit it yourself to your state tax authority. That is a legal requirement for you in your state, you're just lucky your state doesn't presently enforce it.

What you probably don't realize is that many banks and larger online retailers still report the transactions in many states, so most of these states have the ability to make you pay the sales tax you owe, but again, presently do not enforce it. Just don't be surprised one year when you suddenly get a huge tax bill for unpaid sales tax... 

Either way, EVGA has not done anything wrong, they are doing what they should do as a responsible business. Heck, it may just be the billing company EVGA uses does not give them the option to 'opt out' of adding sales tax for certain states. Regardless, you still owe it, that's the bottom line.

I don't need a lecture on paying taxes, I am a grown man and take care of my finances and taxes according to the laws. Obviously EVGA is not required by law to charge a sales tax at time of checkout or Newegg would have to do the same thing.

vegajf51
Which state do you live in? It doesn't matter where the company is located, it matters where it is shipped.

Missouri
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/07/29 08:04:45 (permalink)
kram36
Nereus

Newegg is following the sales tax laws *where they legally have to*. EVGA is following the sales tax laws of *all* states that have sales tax because they should - it's certainly not against the law to collect duly owed sales tax lol, whether they legally have to collect it or not - you still owe it. Eventually it will be a legal requirement for all states anyway.

More and more states are adding themselves to that list because clearly it is a huge source of tax revenue, but more importantly for your situation legally you should be paying it regardless, whether the retailer remits it for you, or you remit it yourself to your state tax authority. That is a legal requirement for you in your state, you're just lucky your state doesn't presently enforce it.

What you probably don't realize is that many banks and larger online retailers still report the transactions in many states, so most of these states have the ability to make you pay the sales tax you owe, but again, presently do not enforce it. Just don't be surprised one year when you suddenly get a huge tax bill for unpaid sales tax... 

Either way, EVGA has not done anything wrong, they are doing what they should do as a responsible business. Heck, it may just be the billing company EVGA uses does not give them the option to 'opt out' of adding sales tax for certain states. Regardless, you still owe it, that's the bottom line.

I don't need a lecture on paying taxes, I am a grown man and take care of my finances and taxes according to the laws. Obviously EVGA is not required by law to charge a sales tax at time of checkout or Newegg would have to do the same thing.

Sorry, I did not intend to lecture, just discussion, and also a suggestion that perhaps blaming EVGA is misdirected. EVGA don't make any money out of it, in fact their collection of sales taxes potentially loses them sales when customers such as yourself purchase through other avenues instead (and possibly switch to products from competitors in the process).

As far as taking care of your taxes according to the laws of your state, I checked Missouri State tax laws and guess what.. enjoy your 'sales tax free status' while you can, because it's about to end;

"In the wake of the 2018 South Dakota v. Wayfair case, states were quick to take advantage of their new authority to tax online sales. By the end of 2019, all states with sales taxes except Florida and Missouri had adopted remote sales regimes, whether by legislation or revenue department regulations."

"Under SB 529, remote sellers (effective Oct. 1, 2020) and marketplace facilitators (effective Jan. 1, 2022) would be required to collect and remit sales and use taxes when they make $100,000 or more in sales into Missouri."

Newegg will most definitely fall into the >$100k sales per year. Given that only Florida and Missouri still don't make online sales have sales tax collected as mandatory, it may well be that EVGA's payment processor collects for all states regardless, since it's going to happen shortly anyway for Missouri.

ref:  https://taxfoundation.org/missouri-remote-sales-tax-legislation/   

Sorry for the bad news. Here's hoping the 3080 comes out before October 1st!

post edited by Nereus - 2020/07/29 08:22:19

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 21477
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/07/29 09:04:04 (permalink)
Nereus
kram36
Nereus

Sorry, I did not intend to lecture, just discussion, and also a suggestion that perhaps blaming EVGA is misdirected. EVGA don't make any money out of it, in fact their collection of sales taxes potentially loses them sales when customers such as yourself purchase through other avenues instead (and possibly switch to products from competitors in the process).

As far as taking care of your taxes according to the laws of your state, I checked Missouri State tax laws and guess what.. enjoy your 'sales tax free status' while you can, because it's about to end;

"In the wake of the 2018 South Dakota v. Wayfair case, states were quick to take advantage of their new authority to tax online sales. By the end of 2019, all states with sales taxes except Florida and Missouri had adopted remote sales regimes, whether by legislation or revenue department regulations."

"Under SB 529, remote sellers (effective Oct. 1, 2020) and marketplace facilitators (effective Jan. 1, 2022) would be required to collect and remit sales and use taxes when they make $100,000 or more in sales into Missouri."

Newegg will most definitely fall into the >$100k sales per year. Given that only Florida and Missouri still don't make online sales have sales tax collected as mandatory, it may well be that EVGA's payment processor collects for all states regardless, since it's going to happen shortly anyway for Missouri.

ref:  https://taxfoundation.org/missouri-remote-sales-tax-legislation/   

Sorry for the bad news. Here's hoping the 3080 comes out before October 1st!

So why is EVGA charging me a sales tax at checkout?
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/07/29 09:09:21 (permalink)
kram36
So why is EVGA charging me a sales tax at checkout?

Why does a dog lick its nuts? Because it can! I provided a couple of possible reasons, but beyond that, EVGA would have to answer. Again, EVGA isn't keeping the sales tax, it still goes to Missouri state taxing authority, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

RainStryke
The Advocate
  • Total Posts : 15872
  • Ribbons : 60
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/07/30 10:34:16 (permalink)
I think it's ridiculous they can change sales tax on used items. I found that out when I sold my RTX 2060 Super on eBay. The guy I sold it to lived in California, I didn't even impose the taxes, eBay did it on check-out when the customer went to pay for the card. It transferred over an additional 10% and eBay pulled it out... but it didn't stop PayPal from taking a 3% cut of the whole transaction, charging me 3% on the additional taxes. Makes me not want to use services like that anymore. The customer was also confused, asking me why they were charged taxes and I had to figure it out so they could understand without getting upset and returning it. 

eBay has an informative list of where each state sits on tax requirements.
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/taxes-import-charges?id=4121

Main PC | Secondary PC
Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/07/30 11:21:37 (permalink)

As far as I know, you should not be paying sales tax on used items unless the seller is conducting a profitable business by buying and then reselling used items, otherwise it's double taxation. Then again, it's California, they don't care, they just want more of everyone's money any way they can get it.

post edited by Nereus - 2020/07/30 11:22:45

RainStryke
The Advocate
  • Total Posts : 15872
  • Ribbons : 60
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/07/30 13:37:53 (permalink)
It sure is double taxation. When I dug into this last year, it was 4-6 states that were doing it and more were following for 2020 and 2021. I all ready paid sales tax when I bought it from NVIDIA 6 months before selling it... So it was actually taxed twice within the same year. The only one losing here is the citizens, the businesses are passing off the cost onto the consumers. eBay is making more money off of it because it adds a percentage to the overall price of the item and they hit you with a ending value fee for the entire purchase, including the taxed part. Then PayPal does the same, I just confirmed it. I sold my RTX 2060 Super for $350 plus $15 shipping. PayPal charged me $11.93 to transfer $400.88, eBay pulled out $35.88 for taxes and I got $353.07 deposited to my account. We can complain about it all we want, but in the end it's the states new tax laws that eBay and other bigger sites are now having to follow or else they deal with massive penalties. I have no idea how we can stop this, just feels like every year taxes get a little worse. Won't be long until my area is at 11% sales tax, we are currently at 10.2%.

Main PC | Secondary PC
Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

MonnieRock
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/09/26 19:39:44 (permalink)
vegajf51
As an Amazon seller "Marketplace Facilitator tax" is out of my control. When I sell something on Amazon they("amazon") collect the tax and pay the corresponding state on my behalf, while you may pay sales tax for my item, I never see the money, all I get is my sales price minus amazon fees. Most states are like this now, which honestly for us sellers is so much easier as we don't have to deal with it. Depending on your state EVGA may just be following the law.

Here is a website that shows Marketplace facilitator tax by state.
https://blog.taxjar.com/marketplace-facilitator-explained/

So if I live in Florida, EVGA will not collect sales tax ?

http://www.heatware.com/u/105144

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance  ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680v2 @ 4.9ghz  | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | EVGA TitanX Hydrocopper SLI | 970 Evo Plus nvme | Seasonic 1000w PSU | Win10 Pro 2004 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb
Yesterdays_news
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/09/26 20:57:28 (permalink)
Yeah leaned about this when I ordered Something for B&H. oh well
wedansti
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 106
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/09/26 21:22:17 (permalink)
I live in Canada...  I usually have online purchases delivered to a site in the US.  Obviously I haven't been able to do that for a while, but generally I am taxed at the rate of the state that I have it delivered to, and then I am taxed on the goods again when I import them into Canada...  So I guess I'm just used to it... and even with paying tax on the item twice, I usually save money compared to the shipping rate into Canada.  
ccoyne83
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/09/26 21:25:54 (permalink)
It has sucked since online taxing went into effect in my state. Really miss not having to pay an extra 80-90 dollars on pc parts just cause of taxes
Gunsvnvmc
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 616
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/09/26 22:19:54 (permalink)
As a 100% military connected disabled veteran and resident of Oklahoma my state issued me a tax exempt card.
No sales, property or excise tax. Only cost me $9.00 to tag a brand new car purchased off the show room floor.

Elite ID: NIRFPZ2AFBYQ56SSJ7EV

A lesson unlearned will be retaught

Urieldagda
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/09/26 22:59:14 (permalink)
RainStryke
It sure is double taxation.

Those tax cuts for the rich don't pay for themselves!
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12753
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/09/26 23:08:27 (permalink)
Gunsvnvmc
As a 100% military connected disabled veteran and resident of Oklahoma my state issued me a tax exempt card.
No sales, property or excise tax. Only cost me $9.00 to tag a brand new car purchased off the show room floor.

🤔
You wouldn't mind buying a GPU using your discount Jefe😼. j/k😸

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/09/27 02:38:14 (permalink)
Gunsvnvmc

As a retired USAF veteran I salute your military service. I have a 10 percent disability myself. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Gunsvnvmc
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 616
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/09/27 06:47:54 (permalink)
atfrico
Gunsvnvmc

🤔
You wouldn't mind buying a GPU using your discount Jefe😼. j/k😸

When I purchase from the internet I pay the tax just like everyone, all my GPU's, power supplies and associated parts are EVGA like the two 2080 ti Hydro Copper cards purchased not that long ago. One of our forum members is going to travel quite some distance to help with the build, since the two strokes took me down have not been able to get the job done myself. He asked nothing of me for his help and we have become friends as a result of our communication with each other, he is a long time folder and family man he contributes to the forum in a good way all the time. And yes I will name him thank you notfordman just one of our outstanding members I would have never know if not for the EVGA forum.

Elite ID: NIRFPZ2AFBYQ56SSJ7EV

A lesson unlearned will be retaught

transdogmifier
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6116
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/09/27 07:14:18 (permalink)
Urieldagda
RainStryke
It sure is double taxation.

Those tax cuts for the rich don't pay for themselves!

And where would you get your job if you didn't have 'the rich'? And isn't my pay check taxed before I even see it? Oh, and so is the property I am paying for every year..and so are my purchases in grocery stores..

it's more than double taxation, and the politicians are bleeding you dry. Not 'the rich'.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
Deepcool LT720
Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
Phanteks P500A Case

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/09/27 08:58:00 (permalink)
ccoyne83
It has sucked since online taxing went into effect in my state. Really miss not having to pay an extra 80-90 dollars on pc parts just cause of taxes

You were always required to pay the tax. You aren't paying extra. You are paying the same that you were always required to pay.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

gterry180
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2020/09/27 09:01:54 (permalink)
I prefer retailers to handle this for me, it was always too much to try and figure how many different states I was suppose to pay sales tax to...
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile