EVGA

States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 21477
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 11:09:11 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
However, the sales tax would presumably be collected directly for buyers/sellers by sites like eBay or Etsy (source), and not by the individuals/businesses that place items for sale on the site.  eBay and Etsy could charge sellers a higher fee for items that sell on the site to make up for the additional work they will have to do, which can simply this entire process.

Last time I had to collect tax for an in state purchase, eBay sent me the tax money. I was responsible for sending it to my state. I avoid any sellers on eBay that collect tax for my state if they have no presence in my state. They are just taking the tax money and pocketing it.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 11:40:34 (permalink)
kram36
EVGATech_LeeM
However, the sales tax would presumably be collected directly for buyers/sellers by sites like eBay or Etsy (source), and not by the individuals/businesses that place items for sale on the site.  eBay and Etsy could charge sellers a higher fee for items that sell on the site to make up for the additional work they will have to do, which can simply this entire process.

Last time I had to collect tax for an in state purchase, eBay sent me the tax money. I was responsible for sending it to my state. I avoid any sellers on eBay that collect tax for my state if they have no presence in my state. They are just taking the tax money and pocketing it.

It's not your job to judge the wrong done by others. It's your job to know what is right and do what is right. If others pocket the money, that is their fault, not yours. You did your part.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

kram36
The Destroyer
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 11:49:51 (permalink)
ty_ger07
kram36
EVGATech_LeeM

It's not your job to judge the wrong done by others. It's your job to know what is right and do what is right. If others pocket the money, that is their fault, not yours. You did your part.

If they have no presence in my state, they have no right to charge me a tax. It's not their duty, it's still not the law until my state makes a law for it, they are thieves in my eyes and I will never send my money to sellers doing buyers wrong.
post edited by kram36 - 2018/06/22 11:50:53
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 12:39:38 (permalink)
kram36
ty_ger07
kram36
EVGATech_LeeM

If they have no presence in my state, they have no right to charge me a tax. It's not their duty, it's still not the law until my state makes a law for it, they are thieves in my eyes and I will never send my money to sellers doing buyers wrong.

If they didn't charge you the tax, you would have been responsible for paying the tax yourself. Since they charged you the tax, you are right in the eyes of the state and now the state can go after them, if necessary.

As far as it relates to you, the end price is the same and you can only guess whether or not they are defrauding your state. Do you have proof that they are pocketing the money? No. Then put your mind to rest.

This is all very easy to explain if you accept the fact that most of us were supposed to pay sales tax and/or use tax this entire time.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/06/22 12:43:17

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 14:08:13 (permalink)
I think this is a critical error and completely against it.  My county has some of the highest sale tax in the whole country because they don't know how to balance books and their only way to remedy this issue is to keep raising taxes on everything.  Rinse and repeat but this only emboldens them to do the same on online retail now.  With the cost of shipping and now future high sales tax plus the wait time for your product makes the whole experience unwanted for the consumer.  This will only hurt both small online and local retailers because big box can afford the added costs since they buy in bigger quantities than everyone else. 

Again, this will hurt everyone but the big guys in the game who can afford to lobby DC to their liking.
post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2018/06/22 14:09:49

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 14:22:29 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
I think this is a critical error and completely against it.  My county has some of the highest sale tax in the whole country because they don't know how to balance books and their only way to remedy this issue is to keep raising taxes on everything.  Rinse and repeat but this only emboldens them to do the same on online retail now.  With the cost of shipping and now future high sales tax plus the wait time for your product makes the whole experience unwanted for the consumer.  This will only hurt both small online and local retailers because big box can afford the added costs since they buy in bigger quantities than everyone else. 

Again, this will hurt everyone but the big guys in the game who can afford to lobby DC to their liking.

No taxes have been raised. You have been required to pay this tax the whole time.

kram36
The Destroyer
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 14:23:51 (permalink)
ty_ger07
kram36
ty_ger07
kram36
EVGATech_LeeM

If they didn't charge you the tax, you would have been responsible for paying the tax yourself. Since they charged you the tax, you are right in the eyes of the state and now the state can go after them, if necessary.

As far as it relates to you, the end price is the same and you can only guess whether or not they are defrauding your state. Do you have proof that they are pocketing the money? No. Then put your mind to rest.

This is all very easy to explain if you accept the fact that most of us were supposed to pay sales tax and/or use tax this entire time.

Wrong. If they didn't pay it to my state, the state would come after me for the tax, not the seller. Where in the world did you get the idea that if you give someone money to pay taxes for you and they didn't, you are no longer responsible for the taxes owed?
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 14:33:09 (permalink)
kram36
ty_ger07
kram36
ty_ger07
kram36
EVGATech_LeeM

Wrong. If they didn't pay it to my state, the state would come after me for the tax, not the seller. Where in the world did you get the idea that if you give someone money to pay taxes for you and they didn't, you are no longer responsible for the taxes owed?

Nope. It says right on the invoice that you paid the tax, right? Same reason you wouldn't be held responsible if Target wasn't forwarding your taxes to the state.
Where do you get your crazy ideas?

Figuratively, the business says 'hey, don't worry about handling this tax burden. pay it to us, and we'll take care of it'. You pay them, they handle the burden, and your invoice is proof that you paid it; and it is now their responsibility.

It is actually very convenient to give your tax burden to someone else whenever possible.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/06/22 14:38:09

candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3677
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 15:06:47 (permalink)
its still cheaper than buying locally, texas charges 6.25, but the local city adds an extra 2% to that, so its still cheaper to buy on amazon
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 16:10:13 (permalink)
ty_ger07

No taxes have been raised. You have been required to pay this tax the whole time.

You obviously don't know where I'm from because if you did, you'd completely understand, presumably speaking.  

This ruling will give the opportunists here to tax us for the 'common good'.  My state is in dire financial straits and not a friendly state to do business in unless you have 'friends'.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 16:16:43 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
ty_ger07

You obviously don't know where I'm from because if you did, you'd completely understand, presumably speaking.  

This ruling will give the opportunists here to tax us for the 'common good'.  My state is in dire financial straits and not a friendly state to do business in unless you have 'friends'.

So, you too are mad that you are going to be forced to pay the taxes which you have been purposely avoiding and were supposed to be paying the entire time? Too bad. Blaming others is a poor excuse.

kram36
The Destroyer
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 16:34:17 (permalink)
ty_ger07
kram36
ty_ger07
kram36
ty_ger07
kram36
EVGATech_LeeM

Nope. It says right on the invoice that you paid the tax, right? Same reason you wouldn't be held responsible if Target wasn't forwarding your taxes to the state.
Where do you get your crazy ideas?

Figuratively, the business says 'hey, don't worry about handling this tax burden. pay it to us, and we'll take care of it'. You pay them, they handle the burden, and your invoice is proof that you paid it; and it is now their responsibility.

It is actually very convenient to give your tax burden to someone else whenever possible.

There is a BIG difference in a person on eBay collecting tax and Target. Target will have a tax license for my state and the state will deal with them for not complying with their license. A person on eBay that doesn't have a license to collect taxes for my state, yet collects money for the tax and doesn't pay it to my state is fraud and would have to be dealt with I assume by my state. It would not release me of my responsibility on the tax due because the person committed tax fraud.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 17:42:44 (permalink)
Do you think that it is necessary for you to perform a background investigation and monthly check-up for anyone you pay taxes to? No. You have it in writing and in good faith that they will uphold their end of the bargain. If they don't, they are the ones performing fraud who will be dealt with.

The buyer is only required to pay the taxes directly to the state or in good faith pay the taxes to the seller who acknowledges that they are receiving the taxes on your behalf and will handle them appropriately.

If, for some crazy reason, the state pursues the buyer in such a scenario, they will first simply ask for proof of taxes paid, after which they won't hunt down the buyer further for failure to pay taxes or expect any penalties be paid. Instead they might, in strange circumstances, collect a large single tax amount from the buyer for a very very large purchase, and then the buyer would have to sue the seller for the amount. But I think that scenario is extremely unlikely. In most instances, after receiving proof of taxes paid by the buyer, it is much more worth it to investigate the seller since it would probably uncover many amounts owed for many sales instead of only one single amount owed.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/06/22 17:57:15

kram36
The Destroyer
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 17:55:51 (permalink)
Now that they have their foot in the door to make tax collection mandatory, I'll expect the unexpected.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 17:58:08 (permalink)
kram36
Now that they have their foot in the door to make tax collection mandatory, I'll expect the unexpected.

Ok, whatever dude.

They had their foot in the door a LONG time ago. It has been this way for a LONG time.

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 18:00:49 (permalink)
I just wonder what the collection will do for online prices since they now have to make sure taxes are correctly collected from each state. In Oregon we don’t have a sales tax but I am guessing my price will increase to cover the extra labor involved.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

kram36
The Destroyer
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 18:04:38 (permalink)
ty_ger07
kram36

Ok, whatever dude.

They had their foot in the door a LONG time ago. It has been this way for a LONG time.

Ok, whatever dude? Remember the video you posted in this thread? Did Connecticut not come after the buyers from Newegg for back taxes? Yes they did.

They did not have the ruling from SCOTUS to make tax collecting at time of purchase mandatory, so it has not been this way for a LONG time.
post edited by kram36 - 2018/06/22 18:12:46
kram36
The Destroyer
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 18:10:41 (permalink)
Hoggle
I just wonder what the collection will do for online prices since they now have to make sure taxes are correctly collected from each state. In Oregon we don’t have a sales tax but I am guessing my price will increase to cover the extra labor involved.

According to ty_ger07 it will hardly amount to anything.
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 19:56:46 (permalink)

I liked not paying if it's in one of those online states. :/

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 20:38:28 (permalink)
kram36
ty_ger07
kram36

Ok, whatever dude.

Ok, whatever dude? Remember the video you posted in this thread? Did Connecticut not come after the buyers from Newegg for back taxes? Yes they did.

OMG. Yes, because Newegg wasn't collecting the taxes and therefore it was still the buyer's responsibility. Connecticut twisted Newegg's arm to rat out its Connecticut buyers.

Talking in circles we are.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/06/22 20:39:58

kram36
The Destroyer
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 21:01:41 (permalink)
ty_ger07
kram36
ty_ger07
kram36

Ok, whatever dude.

OMG. Yes, because Newegg wasn't collecting the taxes and therefore it was still the buyer's responsibility. Connecticut twisted Newegg's arm to rat out its Connecticut buyers.

Talking in circles we are.

The point is, states will do what it take to get money. If they don't get paid, they will come knocking. Even if a seller on eBay says they are collecting money from you to pay the tax owed and they fraud you and the state, the state is coming after the buyer, it's the easiest legal target and leave the buyer trying to get the seller to make it right with the buyer.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/22 22:18:24 (permalink)
Nope. I disagree. But I am not going to talk in circles any more.

Like I said, the state wants to target the seller instead of the buyer since it is one single larger target which will almost certainly easily uncover taxes owed for many different sales to many different customers. The state doesn't want to waste its time chasing after each individual buyer since the total amounts of each transaction are usually small and the amount of time and energy are too great. That is why the state wants businesses (brick-and-mortar and online) to collect the taxes and be responsible, right? Right? Isn't that what we are talking about? Hasn't it been proved that buyers aren't paying their taxes but it is too much effort to chase after each individual buyer? Right? Right?

The buyer is ultimately responsible for paying sales and use tax, but when the buyer has an invoice, receipt, or some other similar proof showing that he paid his taxes to the seller, he has good faith that the seller did his part and the state will go after the seller for these reasons.

Seriously..
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/06/23 11:26:53

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/23 00:26:05 (permalink)
ty_ger07

Than stop talking. 

No seriously, my state and county are known to be abusive on taxes.  We have some of the highest taxes out there and yes, I actually have been paying taxes on most of my purchases for some time now, mainly on amazon since I've been using amazon for majority of my purchases and haven't used Newegg in a very long time.  

Technically speaking, everyone pays quite a few taxes on the products since manufacturers and retailers usually pass the cost down to the consumer so you're kinda invalid on not paying taxes whatsoever.  

The more you know.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/23 07:28:17 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
ty_ger07

Than stop talking. 

No seriously, my state and county are known to be abusive on taxes.  We have some of the highest taxes out there and yes, I actually have been paying taxes on most of my purchases for some time now, mainly on amazon since I've been using amazon for majority of my purchases and haven't used Newegg in a very long time.  

Technically speaking, everyone pays quite a few taxes on the products since manufacturers and retailers usually pass the cost down to the consumer so you're kinda invalid on not paying taxes whatsoever.  

The more you know.

Then good thing nothing has changed in regards to what is required of you, huh?

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/23 09:54:37 (permalink)
In December 2013 i purchased a set of 780ti classifieds through amazon, and Had them sent to my mothers house in South Carolina. In February, i received a notice from the tax office saying that i owed taxes since amazon did not collect. The notice even explained that buyers should have been paying taxes all along, even though they hadnt been. I didnt even file taxes in South Carolina.

So, you all need to stop complaining about paying what you should have been. When a company offers “tax free” weekends, they still pay the taxes, they just discount the cost from your purchase. Just because you thought it was ok to work around the taxes doesnt mean it was. States are just finding ways to collect what should have been paid all along.

Again, i now live in a state with no sales tax, but if I ship something to a state with sales tax, i still have to pay the taxes.
post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2018/06/23 10:01:36
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/23 13:29:51 (permalink)
ty_ger07

Then good thing nothing has changed in regards to what is required of you, huh?

ty_ger07

But I am not going to talk in circles any more.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/23 15:39:49 (permalink)
Yes?

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/23 21:48:01 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Yes?

I think you should take down your tone down a bit.  You've been pretty passive aggressive in these forums these lasts couple of months.

Let's all be friends and kinder to each other. 

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/23 22:56:24 (permalink)
I agree.

HaywireHaywood
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 860
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: States can now force online retailers to collect sales tax. 2018/06/24 08:19:00 (permalink)
It's not really leveling the playing field, it's piling a mountain on top of the online retailers.  A local retailer has one state and one locality to worry about.  The Egg will have 50 states and thousands upon thousands of localities to worry about and keep up with changing tax laws.  Leveling the playing field would be for the online retailer to be required to collect taxes in the state and locality where it operates, not where the customer resides.
post edited by HaywireHaywood - 2018/06/24 08:21:10

Heatware Affiliate code: QLF0RY1CK9
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile