Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai...

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/17 02:01:13 (permalink)
bill1024
Money the government makes goes back into the infrastructure, now that's the 2nd funniest thing I seen all day!!!! Sure it does.
Government, the money collected to fix the roads and bridges goes into the general fund.
Then it goes to pay for social services, medicare, medicaid, the military, section 8,  Gov. workers salary and pensions.............

Why do you think all investors are wealthy? Almost EVERY American today is invested in 401k, pensions and other types of funds.
Those funds invest in Verizon, Att and almost every other business on the web and to do with the web.
Business go in business to make money, as an investor who depends on dividends and cap gains, they better make me some $$$
Private business almost always do a much better job then the government can do. Why they use sub-contractors. Been to the DMV?
Pay for it if you use it, that simple.

*sigh* The 'profits' going back to infrastructure was to make it a direct comparison to the ISPs, I would have thought basic common sense would have made it apparent that wasn't meant strictly literally, sheesh! The govt funds go back to the people, whether it be social services or whatever, the ISPs do not put all profits back into it. Yes businesses go into business to make money - read again what I wrote above - this is a unique situation, similar to a public utility. It's not just entertainment anymore, the internet is becoming almost a basic necessity for many people living in this country now - much like power or gas or water or heck, education! Sure you can get by without it, but it won't be easy for you, assuming you're a functioning working individual and not a retired self-sufficient hippie living in the middle of nowhere. I don't want the govt to run ISPs (hell no), but ISPs do need to have some sort of code of conduct when there's a clear conflict of interest if they can do whatever the hell they want in a unique sector like this. There's so so so many examples, hell Google it - while you still can lol. How can anyone not get this is astounding. We already pay to use the internet, that's not the issue - it's control over content and restriction of said content put in the hands of ISPs who can abuse it in their own interests to profit - of course they'll abuse it! It's already a fact - that's why Net Neutrality (and previous Title II etc) came into effect in the first place!!!! Come on, just think for a little.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/17 02:44:44 (permalink)
NereusMaybe you should pause and think before making ad hominem attacks on anyone who doesn't agree with you.

I have no idea what you're talking about and wasn't personally attacking you.  I was joking first and foremost and the level of education I was referring to was back in grade school and high school.

Nereus

Net Neutrality from some of the late night shows - I linked externally to the time point, as trying to post at a time point in embedded video doesn't work.
John Oliver - an old one, but funny as hell but also very informative.
Stephen Colbert
Jimmy Kimmel

Really?!  

bill1024

Break the internet, now that is laughable.

Try a toll road sometime. You can always take the public free road to the same place, enjoy the bumpy ride!
Even though they are not free, it is what gas tax and registration fees and rubber taxes are for.
Gee why are our public roads and bridges in such bad shape with all the billions we pay for them?
Government owned maybe?

Just like riders on Amtrak, they don't want to pay more in fees to use the train.
So  I get to pay the MTA tax to help pay for the system even though I hardly ever take the train.
Pay your own way and pay for what you use.

Precisely.    

Does anyone remember the crumbling bridges across the nation the last 10 years or so?  The innocent motorists that were killed on collapsing bridges?

Nereus

Can't compare ISP and road tolls - the govt is a essentially non-profit, ISPs are profit driven. Any excess the govt makes goes back into the infrastructure, much of the ISP obscene profits goes into the pockets of C-levels and wealthy investors - certainly not the people who fund it.

Wait, wait.  So is that why we're in $20+ TRILLION in debt and $100+ TRILLION in unfunded liabilities?  Common man. 

kram36

Oh good heavens, you view these shows as viable news sources? If you do, that voids anything you say. lololol

How was the internet before 2015? Was it broke? Nope.

My thoughts exactly.  

Nereus

I viewed them as amusing - the first I even said "funny as hell" although there were some informative facts thrown in. You said that "the internet wasn't broke before 2015" which means you don't realize that 2015 is just when NN name was coined, but the protections have been there since last century (Title I) and then updated in 2005 (Title II), then updated again with 'Net Neutrality'.

The Net Neutrality provisions were removed.  Nothing else.  They are still keeping tabs on things with the existing laws that were in place prior to this.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/17 02:58:31 (permalink)
Due to this decision by the FCC several states will have their own net neutrality acts and also there will be one or more lawsuits against the FCC.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

RoyTInHouston
  • Total Posts : 91
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/17 06:44:05 (permalink)
I can’t think if any other utility provider that can invoke eminent domain carte blanche and then be totally unregulated as to cost to consumers.

Not sure where bill is from but the Florida Turnpike South from Orlando to Miami is one expensive beast of a toll road, when in Orlando I’ll always take the brief 40 minute drive on the beeline (now “beach”line, another toll ripoff in the sunshine state) to 95 south. The $3 I pay to head east saves me $30 on the Drive South.

The Turnpike is not at all nicer than 95... just fyi.
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/17 07:49:21 (permalink)
bill1024
MSim
bill1024
Thats how it should be, netflix should pay to have it product streamed over someone else system.
Or they can build their own system to get their product out.
Why should Comcast pay to deliver their competition's product?
Same thing with Vonage, why should Verizon have to spend money on a pipeline to deliver their competition's product.
Let Vonage pay some money to Verizon, Vonage can either eat the cost or pass it on. Or Vonage can build their own delivery system.
Why would Exon Mobil's tanker trucks have to deliver Shells oil and gas to the customer?

Nextflix already pays to upload it's content. They have servers at some of the major data centers in the US. They shouldn't have to pay an extra fee just so ISP customers can use it's service. We pay for bandwidth from our ISP, we should be allowed to use it for any legit internet service they want to.

It's obvious you don't understand how the internet works. Your toll road idea would break the internet.

Break the internet, now that is laughable.
It is obvious to me you never driven on a toll road. You pay by the mile, not speed.
Toll roads and bridges are better maintained, have fewer pot holes, are kept clean, have better rest stops and better places to eat.
They most often have cleaner bathroom  and some even have a fenced in area to walk your dog.
And they even supply little plastic bags to clean the dogs poops.
Try a toll road sometime. You can always take the public free road to the same place, enjoy the bumpy ride!
Even though they are not free, it is what gas tax and registration fees and rubber taxes are for.
Gee why are our public roads and bridges in such bad shape with all the billions we pay for them?
Government owned maybe?

Just like riders on Amtrak, they don't want to pay more in fees to use the train.
So  I get to pay the MTA tax to help pay for the system even though I hardly ever take the train.
Pay your own way and pay for what you use.

What do you think will happen if every ISP can charge websites to allow traffic over it's network (toll road)? That would break how the internet works. What next allow each state to charge non-residents and companies transporting goods a fee to travel through it's borders.

People are paying for what they use. Every internet service or website pays to upload it's content. Every ISP customer is paying for bandwidth to access that content. Every time my ISP increases our speed, within 6 weeks they increase the cost. 

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/17 11:32:00 (permalink)
rjohnson11
Due to this decision by the FCC several states will have their own net neutrality acts and also there will be one or more lawsuits against the FCC.

I wonder how they will enforce it - is it even possible?

Funny thing is, the ISPs are saying they won't throttle or make changes to internet traffic, and we should trust them (lmao) - I wouldn't trust these ISPs as far as I could spit into a headwind. Thing is, if they aren't planning on changing anything, why did they spend millions of dollars lobbying to remove Net Neutrality, and if they aren't going to change anything, then there is absolutely no reason to remove NN. The fact that they so desperately wanted it removed screams out that they want to abuse it.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5208
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/17 11:47:29 (permalink)
The main problem is the counties and cities. Who allow themselves to be locked into a contract with a single provider, therefore providing no competition at the ISP level. Don't renew the contract, allow for other ISP's and this problem will end.

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/17 12:15:22 (permalink)
Viper97
The main problem is the counties and cities. Who allow themselves to be locked into a contract with a single provider, therefore providing no competition at the ISP level. Don't renew the contract, allow for other ISP's and this problem will end.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11105
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/17 13:10:30 (permalink)
Today most everyone has a smart phone, you pay extra for a data plan.
You do not pay for speed tiers like home internet, you pay for amount of data. The phone service system is not broken, is it...
There are tiers you pay for the month, 3gb 5gb 8gb 15$ per gb if you go over your plans amount.

Home ISP service:
The persons that just use a gb of data a month checking email and facebook pay the same as people using 30gb a day streaming movies...
I say lower the base cost and charge for data used.
Truth is people want to "cut the cord" not pay for TV service, but yet get as much entertainment for as little $$ as they can.

It costs ISPs to move data from one place to another, it is a huge investment for them. Miles and miles of fiber lines.
The cost if tree service to keep the lines clear, repairs after every storm from lines down.
The thousands and thousands of people it takes to make the internet happen.
Payroll, pensions, insurance, trucks, cars, auto, liability, unemployment, disability insurance, servers, switches, on and on and on.
It costs a fortune to run a business like Verizon and ATT.
With all that you still want to get the cheapest entertainment you can by not buying their service, but wanting them to deliver competitors.
They should have data tiers, not speed tiers.
You may not agree, that's ok. We have to agree to disagree.

And as far as FL. roads, been there, the roads in Fl are not that bad.
Here in the North we have freeze / thaw cycles and chemicals they use to melt snow.
That is what really causes havoc with the roads and bridges. \
And all the money we pay in fees/taxes, petro, tire, registration goes to the general fund, then spent on everything but the roads.
What it seems like anyway.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile