Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai...

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/15 00:27:47 (permalink)

Well it's done. Despite at least 80% of the public being strongly against removing it, Net Neutrality is gone. I'm sure there will be some attempted litigation over it, but the Big 3 ISPs got what they wanted and they will never let go, and I'm sure Mr Pai will be looking forward to all the perks that will rain down on him for his actions. Sure, we won't see changes overnight, but you can bet your bottom dollar they will creep them in over time, and 1,000% they will be financially advantageous to the C-level ISP jerks, and not at all to Joe Public sitting at home. Enjoy the last gasps.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/15 00:51:55 (permalink)
Nereus

Well it's done. Despite at least 80% of the public being strongly against removing it, Net Neutrality is gone. I'm sure there will be some attempted litigation over it, but the Big 3 ISPs got what they wanted and they will never let go, and I'm sure Mr Pai will be looking forward to all the perks that will rain down on him for his actions. Sure, we won't see changes overnight, but you can bet your bottom dollar they will creep them in over time, and 1,000% they will be financially advantageous to the C-level ISP jerks, and not at all to Joe Public sitting at home. Enjoy the last gasps.

Well, congress can still repeal it, ya I know not likely, and well we only got to live with his moronic actions for 3 more years before we get someone else in there in a new admin who can put the rules back.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/15 03:36:22 (permalink)
Nereus

Well it's done. Despite at least 80% of the public being strongly against removing it, Net Neutrality is gone.

You sure you weren't talking about 80% of the folks in a room around you were against removing it because I'm around folks online who get what NN is and the logistics on how the internet, ISPs, free markets, competition works and the last thing we wanted to do was give the gov. more power over the internet.  There are existing laws that will still help protect it, that's if the regulators aren't sold out of course.

You can hurt "greedy" ISPs by not purchasing their services.  Once that happens, that will either force them to change or shutter their doors.  Now when it comes to local monopolies, that's all on your local bureaucrats.  Make your voice be heard and tell them to allow more options in your area.  It's that simple.

And btw, all these pro-NN online videos and hit pieces are nothing more than propaganda that everyone and almost their mothers have taken the bait. 
post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2017/12/15 03:39:31

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Athena
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 328
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/15 08:41:03 (permalink)
If the sky falls on me am going to be quite put out.  ^_-
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/15 10:22:02 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
Nereus

Well it's done. Despite at least 80% of the public being strongly against removing it, Net Neutrality is gone.

You sure you weren't talking about 80% of the folks in a room around you were against removing it because I'm around folks online who get what NN is and the logistics on how the internet, ISPs, free markets, competition works and the last thing we wanted to do was give the gov. more power over the internet.  There are existing laws that will still help protect it, that's if the regulators aren't sold out of course.

You can hurt "greedy" ISPs by not purchasing their services.  Once that happens, that will either force them to change or shutter their doors.  Now when it comes to local monopolies, that's all on your local bureaucrats.  Make your voice be heard and tell them to allow more options in your area.  It's that simple.

And btw, all these pro-NN online videos and hit pieces are nothing more than propaganda that everyone and almost their mothers have taken the bait. 

I have yet to see any pro-NN propaganda videos. I have read news articles about what ISP's have done to customers before NN was rolled out. Throttling it's competitors services, blocking internet phone services like vonage to push customers to it's own phone services. Online streaming sites like netflix already pay to upload it's content, we pay for x amount of bandwidth each month to enjoy the web how we wish. ISP's just want to setup a toll road to collect more money off us and any company that offers any online service. 

If the government treats internet service like a public utility, it's only a matter of time until they want to add more taxes to it. Doing away with NN, that allows ISP's to add more fees and throttle/block competitors services. We as the consumer will be milked either way we go. 

People do need to take this fight local. Every few years internet service companies have to renew contracts with the city. That is one area where people can push for change.

agent8
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8248
  • Ribbons : 20
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/15 11:05:01 (permalink)
This will be exactly like when I was a kid. You could turn on the TV and you had however many channels you had for free. There was some commercials and that's when we went to the bathroom where did whatever or maybe even paid attention and bought the product. Fast forward and now it's very rare you can watch free TV. You have to pay a service provider and on top of that still have commercials. 1000 Channels with only 20 that you like filled with commercials and have the same shows and movies repeating all at a premium rate. I can just see bandwidth throttling, capping and tiered rates for streaming services. The blue colored workers will have a white list of ghetto websites that we can use. You will need a part or something but since you can't afford the premium Google search you'll be stuck with aol's "super searcher" to find your part and instead of a YouTube video showing you how to install it you'll be stuck with "WhoTube" capped at 5 fps with low def atari resolution. This is the beginning of the end for the interwebNets as we know it
tech73x
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 166
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/15 11:40:21 (permalink)
Just speeding up the road to absolutely no type of "free" anything. Wonder when we will have to start paying for the air we breathe :). SPACEBALLS!
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/15 12:36:39 (permalink)
This hysteria is hilarious and everyone is making up a story that doesn't even exist like a chicken running around with its head cut off.  Don't forget, these private companies can do as they may just as much as we can as well.  I don't understand why everyone's acting like a gun is being stuck to their heads.  As for the monopolies, we can agree to agree that a local thing needs to be done, not at the fed. level.  You're only giving a spending wackjob the excuse to find another fed. revenue stream, let alone powerful internet controls that could be used as a political hit.  (Think of the IRS with conservatives.)

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/15 12:52:21 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
This hysteria is hilarious and everyone is making up a story that doesn't even exist like a chicken running around with its head cut off.  Don't forget, these private companies can do as they may just as much as we can as well.  I don't understand why everyone's acting like a gun is being stuck to their heads.  As for the monopolies, we can agree to agree that a local thing needs to be done, not at the fed. level.  You're only giving a spending wackjob the excuse to find another fed. revenue stream, let alone powerful internet controls that could be used as a political hit.  (Think of the IRS with conservatives.)

Make up stories? What i said was 100% true. ISP's throttled netflix to double dip and to promote it's own video streaming service. Another ISP blocked customers from using vonage internet phone service to get them to buy it's internet phone service. Now that NN is going away, what's stopping them from doing the same thing all over again.

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4805
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/15 19:18:09 (permalink)
Makes me wonder if ISPs start to throttle down services and do the the whole thing that everyone is worried about, will this cause people in the long run to start losing their jobs? Like really think about it. If they start to charge out the ass for corporations to continue to have the internet speeds they have now, will they start laying off workers to make up for the extra expense of the internet? Well if all hell does start to come through slowly but surely with this, maybe it will be a good thing. On the bright side it will finally cause everyone to get off the computer and stop living their lives on the internet and go outside to actually enjoy the world around them.

bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11105
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/15 21:14:33 (permalink)
Maybe they should do a one speed for all, say 100mb up and 50 down, 150/100, more than enough. Heck I love my 50/50 service.
Then pay for the amount of GB or TB  of data you use every month.
Some only check their email and maybe facebook and they pay as much as the data hog next door who streams everything all day/night.
That will be the fair way to pay

This way the companies that spend the money to make the network and provide TV and Internet do not have to pay for all the data you need for your netflix and streaming.
Why make me build a network and product for you to use to get around my product and you put all that traffic on my network.
I never understood why people thin they can do that and its ok.
Pay by data used is the way to go, and block/slow down nothing. You can stream to your hearts content. Then you pay.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

RoyTInHouston
  • Total Posts : 91
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/15 21:28:38 (permalink)
Wow... really bad news... I can only guess how overjoyed Comcast is right now.

We’ll all party like were going back to 1999... when dial-up was king...
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10103
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/16 00:13:19 (permalink)
This news story is a good reason why Net Neutrality is important. Comcast slowed down Netflix speeds to the point customers cancelled Netflix and to stop the customer loss Netflix agreed to pay Comcast millions. While not part of the news story though Netflix did raise streaming prices at that time to cover the payments. http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/29/technology/netflix-comcast/index.html 

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/16 01:19:02 (permalink)
Thats how it should be, netflix should pay to have it product streamed over someone else system.
Or they can build their own system to get their product out.
Why should Comcast pay to deliver their competition's product?
Same thing with Vonage, why should Verizon have to spend money on a pipeline to deliver their competition's product.
Let Vonage pay some money to Verizon, Vonage can either eat the cost or pass it on. Or Vonage can build their own delivery system.
Why would Exon Mobil's tanker trucks have to deliver Shells oil and gas to the customer?

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/16 01:37:38 (permalink)
bill1024

Why would Exon Mobil's tanker trucks have to deliver Shells oil and gas to the customer?

BECAUSE THE CONSUMERS SAID SO AND THE GOV. SHOULD GET INVOLVED TO FORCE IT UPON THEM!  RAAAAWR! 

Back to normalcy now.  The way my comment was written is the way I've witnessed this whole debacle.  I laughed at times.  I had to to keep my sanity intact.  It's just that they aren't teaching basic economic or business in schools anymore.  They don't believe their wallets or ballots have that much power.  Yes I know monopolies suck and its true where I'm from so I know from first hand experience having the only fiber internet but that's actually changing around here ironically.  My guess is unions and regulations.  We still need other ISPs to join our markets.  

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
RoyTInHouston
  • Total Posts : 91
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/16 07:42:28 (permalink)
In a former life I worked as a utility coordinator for a (public) water utility. In everyone of our meetings they (COMCAST) would loudly invoke the public utility mantra when demanding prime ROW space through your front yard

COMCAST has no problem invoking public utility privilege when it suits them - then quote adam smith and free markets and all that when it comes to billing.

They are the worst hypocrites in the world.
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/16 15:09:23 (permalink)

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/16 15:39:03 (permalink)
XrayMan

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/16 15:43:15 (permalink)

For those that aren't sure what their options are in their area, check this link.
post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2017/12/16 15:44:56

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/16 16:19:24 (permalink)
bill1024
Thats how it should be, netflix should pay to have it product streamed over someone else system.
Same thing with Vonage, why should Verizon have to spend money on a pipeline to deliver their competition's product.
Let Vonage pay some money to Verizon, Vonage can either eat the cost or pass it on. Or Vonage can build their own delivery system.

Nextflix already pays to upload it's content. They have servers at some of the major data centers in the US. They shouldn't have to pay an extra fee just so ISP customers can use it's service. We pay for bandwidth from our ISP, we should be allowed to use it for any legit internet service they want to.

It's obvious you don't understand how the internet works. Your toll road idea would break the internet.

post edited by MSim - 2017/12/16 16:22:37

maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10053
  • Ribbons : 165
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/16 19:40:58 (permalink)
Amazing that people are so ignorant of how things really work and WHO really pays for it -and- the facts about what has happened (here in the US) and elsewhere around the world when ISP's have been allowed to set their own rules.

Thanks, your complete and utter disrespect for common sense is going cost me alot money.  

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4805
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/16 20:37:44 (permalink)

Ahhhhhhh man you know he is trolling. It must feel awesome to piss everyone off on a enormous level. The comment section is amazing.

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/16 20:43:58 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
Nereus

No, Jack, I wasn't talking about 80% of the folks in a room around me being against it, and there is absolutely no need to be so facetious when responding, likewise with your comments about not teaching basic economic or business in schools anymore. Maybe you should pause and think before making ad hominem attacks on anyone who doesn't agree with you. As it happens, I have 2 college degrees, both majoring in accounting and finance, both with honors, and am employed in the same field, and have been for years.

It is common knowledge that the public submissions to the FTC regarding Net Neutrality were overwhelmingly against removing it - 80% was a conservative figure - and the sheer numbers of submissions they received smashed all prior records many times over. As far as your suggestion about making your voice heard - what do you think the FTC requesting public submissions was for? That was everyone's chance to have their voice heard, and that voice was a loud and clear "NO!", which was promptly ignored for the benefit of a few giant ISPs.

This is a unique situation where normal free open competitive business theory should at least be tempered in order to remain fair to all parties. Competition clearly is not working to make things better for the consumer - most areas in the country have no choice in their ISP - I live in the heart of Brooklyn, NYC, by far the most densely populous city in the US, and until very recently the 'choice' was Comcast (a subsidiary of) or nothing. It is only very recently Verizion FiOS has also become available in my street, but I am certainly in a minority when it comes to having a choice of ISP in Brooklyn. The very few smaller ISPs who have popped up from time to time and tried to enter the market have promptly been bought out by the big ISPs. They do not allow competition.

post edited by Nereus - 2017/12/16 21:45:22

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/16 21:50:11 (permalink)
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
 Ahhhhhhh man you know he is trolling. It must feel awesome to piss everyone off on a enormous level. The comment section is amazing.

What a jerk. Totally trolling. Like I said in this thread OP; the most hated man in America.

FYI, Net Neutrality is 'Obama era' only in name - it has effectively been around since 2005.

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/16 23:09:22 (permalink)

Net Neutrality from some of the late night shows - I linked externally to the time point, as trying to post at a time point in embedded video doesn't work.
John Oliver - an old one, but funny as hell but also very informative.
Stephen Colbert
Jimmy Kimmel

post edited by Nereus - 2017/12/16 23:32:33

bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/16 23:40:52 (permalink)
MSim
bill1024

Nextflix already pays to upload it's content. They have servers at some of the major data centers in the US. They shouldn't have to pay an extra fee just so ISP customers can use it's service. We pay for bandwidth from our ISP, we should be allowed to use it for any legit internet service they want to.

It's obvious you don't understand how the internet works. Your toll road idea would break the internet.

Break the internet, now that is laughable.
It is obvious to me you never driven on a toll road. You pay by the mile, not speed.
Toll roads and bridges are better maintained, have fewer pot holes, are kept clean, have better rest stops and better places to eat.
They most often have cleaner bathroom  and some even have a fenced in area to walk your dog.
And they even supply little plastic bags to clean the dogs poops.
Try a toll road sometime. You can always take the public free road to the same place, enjoy the bumpy ride!
Even though they are not free, it is what gas tax and registration fees and rubber taxes are for.
Gee why are our public roads and bridges in such bad shape with all the billions we pay for them?
Government owned maybe?

Just like riders on Amtrak, they don't want to pay more in fees to use the train.
So  I get to pay the MTA tax to help pay for the system even though I hardly ever take the train.
Pay your own way and pay for what you use.

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/17 00:24:38 (permalink)

Can't compare ISP and road tolls - the govt is a essentially non-profit, ISPs are profit driven. Any excess the govt makes goes back into the infrastructure, much of the ISP obscene profits goes into the pockets of C-levels and wealthy investors - certainly not the people who fund it.

kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 21477
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/17 00:45:21 (permalink)
Nereus

Net Neutrality from some of the late night shows - I linked externally to the time point, as trying to post at a time point in embedded video doesn't work.
Stephen Colbert
Jimmy Kimmel

Oh good heavens, you view these shows as viable news sources? If you do, that voids anything you say. lololol

How was the internet before 2015? Was it broke? Nope.
bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/17 00:47:22 (permalink)
Money the government makes goes back into the infrastructure, now that's the 2nd funniest thing I seen all day!!!! Sure it does.
Government, the money collected to fix the roads and bridges goes into the general fund.
Then it goes to pay for social services, medicare, medicaid, the military, section 8,  Gov. workers salary and pensions.............

Why do you think all investors are wealthy? Almost EVERY American today is invested in 401k, pensions and other types of funds.
Those funds invest in Verizon, Att and almost every other business on the web and to do with the web.
Business go in business to make money, as an investor who depends on dividends and cap gains, they better make me some $$$
Private business almost always do a much better job then the government can do. Why they use sub-contractors. Been to the DMV?
Pay for it if you use it, that simple.

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Congrats to FCC Head Ajit Pai... 2017/12/17 01:46:24 (permalink)
kram36
Nereus
Stephen Colbert
Jimmy Kimmel

Oh good heavens, you view these shows as viable news sources? If you do, that voids anything you say. lololol

How was the internet before 2015? Was it broke? Nope.

I viewed them as amusing - the first I even said "funny as hell" although there were some informative facts thrown in. You said that "the internet wasn't broke before 2015" which means you don't realize that 2015 is just when NN name was coined, but the protections have been there since last century (Title I) and then updated in 2005 (Title II), then updated again with 'Net Neutrality'.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile