Alterations to GPUs And Warranty @EVGA

Author
Muezick
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 305
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/10/26 09:25:24 (permalink)
So in the warranty terms it says something like "Return the GPU to original factory condition"

But does this cover cosmetic alterations?

I'm thinking I might plasti-dip the shroud on my GPU, or color it some other way. I've seen other people strip their shrouds down to the base components and spray paint them, for example, etc. 

Does this Void EVGA's warranty?

17 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Alterations to GPUs And Warranty @EVGA 2017/10/26 09:34:28 (permalink)
    If you can Not Make it "oem stock" it will/can Void your warranty or you may be charged a "fee to make it stock"

Remember RMA returns - usually you do Not get your card back; but, the same type of card ---> or you would end up waiting a very long time, till it is repaired

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Alterations to GPUs And Warranty @EVGA 2017/10/26 09:37:30 (permalink)
    If you try to replace the card under warranty, it must arrive to EVGA in the exact same condition as you received it.  If the card is altered or damaged, EVGA will contact you with the option to either reject the warranty and send the broken card back to you, or (if possible) replace all damaged or altered components and charge you a fee for replacing those items.

It's a risk few are willing to take.

I would suggest that you buy used or aftermarket components to alter (or which match your taste) and keep the original unaltered versions stored safely.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Muezick
    iCX Member
    Re: Alterations to GPUs And Warranty @EVGA 2017/10/26 10:01:40 (permalink)
    That's totally worth it to me. I wonder how much the shroud on a FTW3 costs. It's just a piece of plastic lol
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Alterations to GPUs And Warranty @EVGA 2017/10/26 10:06:13 (permalink)
    Muezick
    That's totally worth it to me. I wonder how much the shroud on a FTW3 costs. It's just a piece of plastic lol

You'll have to find a used one as they do not sell then separately.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Alterations to GPUs And Warranty @EVGA 2017/10/26 10:19:15 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    Muezick

If by "totally worth it to me" you mean that you are willing to pay EVGA a repair charge for replacement of the shroud in the case that you warranty replace it, remember that it will be EVGA's option at that point and they may simply say no and send the broken card back to you.  In other words, they may not offer at all the option to replace the damaged part.  I would never assume that it will be as simple as paying EVGA for a new shroud.  That would be the best case scenario, but there are worse case scenarios.  The moment you modify the card in any way, the warranty is void and it will be EVGA's option whether they offer you an easy way to return the card to warranty condition; which will depend on if they own replacement parts at that time and whether it is cost effective for them to do so.

Also, consider the effect this would have if you decide that you want to step up the video card.  Can of worms.

You are best to purchase the replacement parts first, and then either modify the replacement parts or buy replacement parts which suit your visual preference from the start.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2017/10/26 10:25:11

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Alterations to GPUs And Warranty @EVGA 2017/10/26 10:33:13 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    HeavyHemi
    Muezick

If by "totally worth it to me" you mean that you are willing to pay EVGA a repair charge for replacement of the shroud in the case that you warranty replace it, remember that it will be EVGA's option at that point and they may simply say no and send the broken card back to you.  In other words, they may not offer at all the option to replace the damaged part.  I would never assume that it will be as simple as paying EVGA for a new shroud.  That would be the best case scenario, but there are worse case scenarios.  The moment you modify the card in any way, the warranty is void and it will be EVGA's option whether they offer you an easy way to return the card to warranty condition; which will depend on if they own replacement parts at that time and whether it is cost effective for them to do so.

Also, consider the effect this would have if you decide that you want to step up the video card.  Can of worms.

You are best to purchase the replacement parts first, and then either modify the replacement parts or buy replacement parts which suit your visual preference from the start.

I'm not sure why you quoted me. But erm  "The moment you modify the card in any way, the warranty is void and it will be EVGA's option whether they offer you an easy way to return the card to warranty condition;"...I've modified my GPU with a Hybrid...does that mean my warranty... I think you got a little ahead of yourself. You can modify your GPU as much as you want as long as you return it to stock condition. Or, as you point out, risk the costs of replacement and or repair being levied.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Muezick
    iCX Member
    Re: Alterations to GPUs And Warranty @EVGA 2017/10/26 10:41:19 (permalink)
    I suppose those are fair things to say. 

You've all given me a lot to think about. Thank you.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Alterations to GPUs And Warranty @EVGA 2017/10/26 10:49:27 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    ty_ger07
    HeavyHemi
    Muezick

I'm not sure why you quoted me. But erm  "The moment you modify the card in any way, the warranty is void and it will be EVGA's option whether they offer you an easy way to return the card to warranty condition;"...I've modified my GPU with a Hybrid...does that mean my warranty... I think you got a little ahead of yourself. You can modify your GPU as much as you want as long as you return it to stock condition. Or, as you point out, risk the costs of replacement and or repair being levied.

I included you in the quote since you seemed to assume that he is going to find a used one to modify first before performing the modification; while his response doesn't specify whether his plan was still to modify the original or get a used one and modify the used one.

And yes, you are correct about the hybrid cooler and the rest.  I never disputed anything you said.  I was clarifying for the user who asked the questions.  If you look, you will see that you aren't disputing anything that I said, either. ;)

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Alterations to GPUs And Warranty @EVGA 2017/10/26 10:54:17 (permalink)
    Remember we are Forums Members and trying to help; but, we are Not EVGA employees

Any questions or for clarity please contact EVGA directly  https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Alterations to GPUs And Warranty @EVGA 2017/10/26 11:02:46 (permalink)
    Muezick
    So in the warranty terms it says something like "Return the GPU to original factory condition"

But does this cover cosmetic alterations?

I'm thinking I might plasti-dip the shroud on my GPU, or color it some other way. I've seen other people strip their shrouds down to the base components and spray paint them, for example, etc. 

Does this Void EVGA's warranty?

Nope... https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2198597
    Muezick
    iCX Member
    Re: Alterations to GPUs And Warranty @EVGA 2017/10/26 11:05:29 (permalink)
    Sajin to save the day.

So i should buy cross shipping. 

Got it. :)
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Alterations to GPUs And Warranty @EVGA 2017/10/26 11:06:22 (permalink)

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Alterations to GPUs And Warranty @EVGA 2017/10/26 11:09:25 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    HeavyHemi
    ty_ger07
    HeavyHemi
    Muezick

I included you in the quote since you seemed to assume that he is going to find a used one to modify first before performing the modification; while his response doesn't specify whether his plan was still to modify the original or get a used one and modify the used one.

And yes, you are correct about the hybrid cooler and the rest.  I never disputed anything you said.  I was clarifying for the user who asked the questions.  If you look, you will see that you aren't disputing anything that I said, either. ;)

I wasn't assuming anything from "You'll have to find a used one as they do not sell then separately.  I simply made a statement in case the OP was not aware that EVGA did not sell them separately. I'm not sure how you assumed any other content from that sentence.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Alterations to GPUs And Warranty @EVGA 2017/10/26 11:19:22 (permalink)
    He was saying, "ah fine, I will strip it, cut it, and paint it as I please because it is just a piece of plastic after all.  How much can it possibly cost for EVGA to replace it for me later?".

Your answer, "you'll have a hard time finding that piece of plastic on the market" in no way discourages him from damaging his and having EVGA replace it later.

So, I noted, again, that EVGA may not provide that as an option.

Anyway....

I feel like a toddler explaining myself to you.  Just read the text.  Or agree that we misunderstood eachother.  Either way, let's move on.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Alterations to GPUs And Warranty @EVGA 2017/10/26 11:22:47 (permalink)
    Muezick
    Sajin to save the day.

So i should buy cross shipping. 

Got it. :)

Be careful.  Cross shipping only helps so much.  Under warranty terms, EVGA will replace a defective video card with one of like performance.  Which means that the cross-shipped one could be a different model with a different cooler.  A cross-shipped different card won't help you much.  That option can save your bacon, or can back-fire.  Be careful.
    And, again, remember that the step-up program will be a total nightmare if you try to go down that path.  So, make sure that you won't decide to try to step-up at a later time.

Muezick
    iCX Member
    Re: Alterations to GPUs And Warranty @EVGA 2017/10/26 12:40:42 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    And, again, remember that the step-up program will be a total nightmare if you try to go down that path.  So, make sure that you won't decide to try to step-up at a later time.

>cross Shipping

it's so cheap, it's worth the risk.

>Step up

Not going to be a problem with a Hybrid FTW3 ;) 
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Alterations to GPUs And Warranty @EVGA 2017/10/26 22:58:06 (permalink)

Moved to the Warranty Questions section.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile