EVGA

FF boot loop

Author
PimpFinger
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2011/11/27 17:40:19 (permalink)

I just recently got a new bios chip from evga because of a bad flash months ago. 

I installed the new bios chip (is it supposed to just float on top of the slot or is it actually supposed to snap in?) and my computer booted up to the "press F1 to continue or del for setup".  I went into the bios settings and got to the memory settings when the computer just restarted.  I went back into the settings made the appropriate adjustments to the memory voltage 1.65.   Restarted computer and installed Windows 7 Pro 64.  After installing drivers etc... I let it sit for a while while.  Well an hour or so later the computer just restarted itself and went into an FF Boot loop.

I was up till 4 am last night trying to troubleshoot this issue and really got nowhere. 

Here's what I've tried so far.
  • Pulling all the power and cmos battery for several minutes to several hours pressing and holding power button to discharge power(more on this)
  • Pressing the cmos reset button does nothing.
  • pulled all but 1 stick of RAM (doesn't seem to have any effect)
  • Pulled all hardware (tried different combinations  ex. just cpu and memory or cpu, memory, and gpu)
  • Took mobo out of case and placed on foam casing to eliminate grounding issues.  Connected stock cpu/mobo heatsink/fans. (seems to have no effect)
  • Tried pressing down lightly on bios chip with clam shell open with a qtip while starting (No effect)
  • Pulled the CPU and checked for bent pins on mobo socket for bent pins (don't see anything)
  • stripped the mobo naked and clean every square inch with alcohol and qtip
  • Probably more that I've forgot
When I woke up this morning I went to try it again and it actually booted again, but it promptly went back into the bootloop a few minutes after getting back into the BIOS.  At this point I don't know what else to really do.  The mobo is out of warranty period because I didn't register within the first 30 days so RMA is out of the question.  I'm tempted to try a bios flash if I can ever get it to boot again, but at the same time I'm scared it will randomly reboot and corrupt bios again.  (That's what happened before I got the new chip)  I doubt if EVGA will send me another free chip, and even if they did I don't want to have to wait another week to get the same result.    

My system:
  • EVGA e760 classified motherboard
  • Intel I7 920 DO
  • Corsair 2x3 GB DDR3 1600
  • Corsair HX1000 Power Supply
  • EVGA GTX 480 SC GPU
Any advice is very appreciated.  Thanks!

5 Replies Related Threads

KMoore4318
    Pistoj Doulos Unum Pluribus
    • Total Posts : 17850
    • Ribbons : 238
    Re:FF boot loop 2011/11/27 18:14:42 (permalink)
    You do not want to try a BIOS flash, if it is not steady and stable, The bios chip does NOT snap in place, it is held  down by fingers on the hinged doors, see pic.

You want to make sure your PSU is good, that the Plug next to the CPU is snaped in place and not loose. you willwant to remove all power, and the Battery, CR2032if you have a meeter check the voltage, it's a 3V lithium, but anything over 2.8 should be fine. give it about 15 or so for everything to clear, then put the battery back in, atempt to power up, you are expecting it to come up, for about 45 sec, power down, come back up, and start with everything at defaults, do not make changes, until you are stable at default. If your battery is low, I found them at Target, 2 for $2.00
    Disconect all your hard drives, you are just wanting to see if it will go through BIOS post codes, or allow you to enter bios, disconect the case power and reset, use the switch on the board, eliminate as much as possable, the more you have eliminated the less you will have to trouble shoot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mozjsCnHrXQ
    Your BIOS chip shouls have a small dot next to pin one on the top or bottom, Make sure that alligns with the arrow, this is the power pin of the chip +5V. If you reach FF after a series of post codes, this is fulley functional, if you get it right away this is an error.  If your FF is after the post codes, and then it shuts down you problem is power or temps. If you can get into BIOS than it's not your flash, or your BIOS.  If you still have issues call EVGA anyway, even if you failed to regester, if you still have proof of purchase, you never know what they will say, until you give them a chance to say it. If you can not get your board looked at, there is always the B-stock X58 Micro, for about $70, heck of a deal, especialy if you have any EVGA bucks, folding bucks, or Affiliate codes.,
    post edited by KMoore4318 - 2011/11/27 18:23:09

Just clink Link to Register >  My Affiliate Code:VTJPDC4OMB 
    1)965 V-8  E761(77)
    2)980X AX1200 E760(77) 980 ti
    3) E770 (77)2(590) SLI AX1200 
    4) X299 FTW K, 9980XE 2 2080 supers on AX1200
    PimpFinger
    Re:FF boot loop 2011/11/27 18:31:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply.

The BIOS chip is inserted properly.  I've unplugged and replugged the 24 and 8 pin power connection at least 100 times over the past 24 hours.  I have been trying to run like you said with minimum components outside the case.  Nothing but the essentials. No HD etc...

What gets me is the amount of time it takes for everything to reset without any power connected.  15 minutes doesn't do it, an hour or two nothing, but leaving it overnight did.  It just booted right up ****? 

I haven't checked the voltage on the battery, but do you think a low battery could really be causing an issue like this? 

Thanks again
    KMoore4318
    Re:FF boot loop 2011/11/27 18:37:13 (permalink)
    The battery is what stores the Configuration in the BIOS, if it is low, the system would have to re read and re store your componant configuration and stock multapliers each time, probably resulting in a double pump turn on, sit for 45 sec to a min, turn off, sit for 45 sec to a min, turn on, sit for another min, and then start post codes. I suspect your BIOS is fine, I would think you either have A power or temp issue, do you have another PSU to try? Note a shorted componant would ack like a Bad PSU as well,

1)965 V-8  E761(77)
    PimpFinger
    Re:FF boot loop 2011/11/27 18:49:15 (permalink)
    Before I got stuck in the FF boot loop and had windows running I was monitoring temps with the EVGA program that came with the board.  The temps were pretty stable around 35-40 idle.  It was being water cooled but I have the stock cooler on it now.  I've tried another power supply with no success.  I can't really do what you're describing with the "sit on for 45 turn off etc.." because the first thing that happens when I hit the power button on the mobo is it goes straight to FF.  Then 5-10 seconds later the reset button flashes and it restarts back at FF over and over. 
    KMoore4318
    Re:FF boot loop 2011/11/27 19:08:53 (permalink)
    Sounds like you may have to take a look at the B-stock options
    http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?switch=20
    That Micro for $70 is a sweet deal, but if you have board water blocks, the $170 for the 760, would be the way to go.

1)965 V-8  E761(77)
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile