EVGA

EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 14
Author
malick
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/11 13:38:33 (permalink)
Keeping an eye on this, having issues with my Z97 classy's audio, looks sick.

Semper Fidelis to all those before me, all those that were with me and all those still fighting the fight.
Dima4235
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/11 15:05:29 (permalink)
I have SACD and high res. FLAC albums in surround. Are you planning to release a 5.1 or 7.1 version of this card?
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/11 15:24:04 (permalink)
GGTV-Jon
MSim
GGTV-Jon
True.
I would imagine trying to conform to content protection and paying royalties for the different formats would be a challenge for anyone dipping a toe into trying to provide something more then the basics on a moterhboard

This product is not marketed to people wanting their 11.2 theater realistic sound () it is for people that want cleaner sound for their headsets without having to revert to something like https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/play/
Which if you look at it it is still hooked into the system via usb

Has anyone seen a price mentioned for this yet?

One website said it will cost $200 for evga elite members and $250 for non-elite members. The pictures of the software on the product page look very basic.    

If you want cleaner sound, wouldn't it be better to have a external system. People always talk about it's not good to have the sound card inside a PC.

If it is in the $250 range then it is right there with that Burson Audio Play unit I linked

Here is my take on it in regards to being in the case.

Like the Burson Audio Play and any external dedicated sound device that is connected via USB you run the chance of introduced ground noise on the USB line. Yes it can be mitigated with USB ground loop devices or messing with adding / removing the ground splices in the cable but that is a bit of work.

With an PCIe slot device your data is passed through the PCIe interface. Yes the EVGA Nu Audio still has USB in the data path but it is all on the same PCB = it has the same power / ground source as the rest of the audio components.

On the software front - for me at least it seems like they could cut half the features out that most of the audio software guys put in and I would still be happy. They pack way too much extra junk features in there (looking at the Creative Sound Blaster software for the audio on my X299 Dark)

What's wrong with having more features, you don't have to use all of them. Having features that are geared towards select things, it helps to attract more customers.  Scout mode option is nice to have for online FPS gamers, supporting Dolby Digital, DTS etc, that would be nice for media PC people.

jll544
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/11 15:34:34 (permalink)
GGTV-Jon
Took me a bit but I think I found the picture you were looking at, and if you were referring to the box to the right of the DS1882 I don't think that is a relay. In that shot they also said the headphone out had a separate volume control.
The headphone out and line out have separate opamps

Yes, the white box to the right of the DS1882... it's absolutely a relay, made by Nexem (formerly NEC Tokin).  Standard stuff you see on most higher-quality sound cards and even some motherboards.

HP out and line out have separate op-amps because they drive very different loads. Presence and location of the relay suggests that you could use only one of those analog paths at a time.
ETA: After looking at photos of the back of the card, the relay in question seems to be related to switching the microphone input between front and rear panel jacks.
post edited by jll544 - 2019/01/22 19:51:26
GGTV-Jon
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1813
  • Ribbons : 19
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/11 17:45:47 (permalink)
I was thinking it was just a different capacitor, like the red ones

alexp247365
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/12 06:15:28 (permalink)
I came here based on the CES announement of this product. The hope was finding an internal PC replacement for my external SMSL M6 @169 USD.

This product appeals to me as older gamer who can afford higher end headphones (ATH-R70x 470 ohm,) and is looking to replace an external DAC/AMP to clean up the desktop.
However, I think they missed the mark with pricing, at least with the Elite vs. non-Elite pricing scheme. I'll keep an eye on this in hopes the pricing comes down to a more competitive level.

jeffswitzer
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 126
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/12 08:40:55 (permalink)
MSim
GGTV-Jon
MSim
GGTV-Jon
True.
I would imagine trying to conform to content protection and paying royalties for the different formats would be a challenge for anyone dipping a toe into trying to provide something more then the basics on a moterhboard

This product is not marketed to people wanting their 11.2 theater realistic sound () it is for people that want cleaner sound for their headsets without having to revert to something like https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/play/
Which if you look at it it is still hooked into the system via usb

Has anyone seen a price mentioned for this yet?

One website said it will cost $200 for evga elite members and $250 for non-elite members. The pictures of the software on the product page look very basic.    

If you want cleaner sound, wouldn't it be better to have a external system. People always talk about it's not good to have the sound card inside a PC.

If it is in the $250 range then it is right there with that Burson Audio Play unit I linked

Here is my take on it in regards to being in the case.

Like the Burson Audio Play and any external dedicated sound device that is connected via USB you run the chance of introduced ground noise on the USB line. Yes it can be mitigated with USB ground loop devices or messing with adding / removing the ground splices in the cable but that is a bit of work.

With an PCIe slot device your data is passed through the PCIe interface. Yes the EVGA Nu Audio still has USB in the data path but it is all on the same PCB = it has the same power / ground source as the rest of the audio components.

On the software front - for me at least it seems like they could cut half the features out that most of the audio software guys put in and I would still be happy. They pack way too much extra junk features in there (looking at the Creative Sound Blaster software for the audio on my X299 Dark)

What's wrong with having more features, you don't have to use all of them. Having features that are geared towards select things, it helps to attract more customers.  Scout mode option is nice to have for online FPS gamers, supporting Dolby Digital, DTS etc, that would be nice for media PC people.

I agree with you in some sense, but also remember audiophiles love purity and lack of bloat. Don't want anything in my signal chain getting in the way!
mattman657
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 274
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/12 12:46:06 (permalink)
jeffswitzer
MSim

I agree with you in some sense, but also remember audiophiles love purity and lack of bloat. Don't want anything in my signal chain getting in the way!

I think the question is, what level of software and features are "actually" needed? There is no chance that the card won't support Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 as well as any other codec commonly used by media typically found on computers. If DD and DTS support are folks greatest concerns, than people are going to be very happy lol.

Any other DSP processing or tone controls can always be used by your playback software such as VLC or Foobar. No need for the card to drive that sort of stuff. Keeps it way more simple. In reality though, you're better off having your actual speaker system drive that stuff as opposed to your computer. If you're running a half decent sound system, that's typically a much better option.

EVGA Z390 Dark | Intel i9900k 5.2 GHz | 2 x EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill TridentZ 4,133MHz | Samsung 970 Pro & Evo, 850 Evo

Lian PC-V3000 | EK Res & Dual D5 Pump | 3 x Alphacool UT60 | Noctua & Akasa Fans | Asus PG279Q
mattman657
iCX Member
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/12 12:51:25 (permalink)
Dima4235
I have SACD and high res. FLAC albums in surround. Are you planning to release a 5.1 or 7.1 version of this card?

Unless you have the super rare SACD capable disc drive that was released by Sony in the 2000s, no SACD can be played on a computer. To get the DSD files off of an SACD, both multichannel and stereo gotta use the PS3 Other OS extraction method.

But if you do indeed have DSD files on your computer, as I do, the card will output the stereo DSF files via the stereo analog outs just fine. You won't be able to output any form of lossless multichannel via the Toslink out, including DSD and your lossless FLACs. Although the lack of multichannel analog outs is a limitation, the need for such connections is such a fringe case to the point where I don't blame EVGA for not including them. Not many people have lossless multichannel audio on their computer, and even fewer will use their PCs to drive their playback.

EVGA Z390 Dark | Intel i9900k 5.2 GHz | 2 x EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill TridentZ 4,133MHz | Samsung 970 Pro & Evo, 850 Evo

Lian PC-V3000 | EK Res & Dual D5 Pump | 3 x Alphacool UT60 | Noctua & Akasa Fans | Asus PG279Q
jeffswitzer
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 126
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/12 13:55:50 (permalink)
Any thoughts on the pcie to usb bridge in this? From what I understand they went this direction because stable drivers are already out there for usb. I've heard that usb isn't the best for audio though, but don't know why.
mattman657
iCX Member
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/12 14:02:39 (permalink)
jeffswitzer
Any thoughts on the pcie to usb bridge in this? From what I understand they went this direction because stable drivers are already out there for usb. I've heard that usb isn't the best for audio though, but don't know why.

External USB DACs can have issues with noise introduced due to ground loops. No idea if this would apply to a pcie sound card.

Krazee
  • Total Posts : 75
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/12 16:28:11 (permalink)
Personally I think the front audio port location is fubar.
I'm still rocking my Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium Fatality Champion Series sound card
post edited by Krazee - 2019/01/12 16:34:47
Trinity01
  • Total Posts : 32
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/12 17:26:57 (permalink)
dasniper
Are the Outputs individually addressable? Can I output different applications to the RCA than the 6.3mm headphone jack or Optical?

I use a Asus Xonar sound card with Klispch Ultra 5.1 setup. I was wondering if it is possible to rig up a solution to be able to use this card?

ASUS Rampage III Extreme
Intel Xeon W3570
Prolimatech Mega Shadow w/ 2 Noiseblocker M12-P fans
Mushkin 12GB
Corsair F160 SSD
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III
Lian-Li casePC-2000
Razer Mamba

GGTV-Jon
FTW Member
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/12 17:48:50 (permalink)
Trinity01
dasniper
Are the Outputs individually addressable? Can I output different applications to the RCA than the 6.3mm headphone jack or Optical?

I use a Asus Xonar sound card with Klispch Ultra 5.1 setup. I was wondering if it is possible to rig up a solution to be able to use this card?

http://images.klipsch.com/ProMediaUltra51Manual_635042115873770000.pdf

You would only have 2 channels hooked up with the NU Audio

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/12 20:12:23 (permalink)
The headphone jack flopping around at 0:27 isn't confidence inspiring.  You can see that the jack is designed to have a nut securing it, but EVGA omitted it for whatever reason.

^clicky click

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/12 22:53:02 (permalink)
mattman657
jeffswitzer
MSim

I think the question is, what level of software and features are "actually" needed? There is no chance that the card won't support Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 as well as any other codec commonly used by media typically found on computers. If DD and DTS support are folks greatest concerns, than people are going to be very happy lol.

Any other DSP processing or tone controls can always be used by your playback software such as VLC or Foobar. No need for the card to drive that sort of stuff. Keeps it way more simple. In reality though, you're better off having your actual speaker system drive that stuff as opposed to your computer. If you're running a half decent sound system, that's typically a much better option.

What are actually needed. Depends on what people are looking for. If you look at the PC sound card market and the software features they offer. That should be the basic features you added to attract more customers.

Dolby Digital
DTS
EAX
Scout mode

Those are some thing you should offer if you use marketing gimmicks like "life like gaming audio".  Instead we see very basic software features with evga nu audio card.

External Amp & DAC are way better for audiophiles, they allow you to use them with other audio hardware. You go look at forums dedicated to audiophiles, that is what most people recommend over a PCI-E sound card.

Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/13 01:29:07 (permalink)
Dima4235

You can use 5.1 with Optical cable.
Good 5.1 speakers are better than moderate 7.1.
SBZxR no 7.1 as well.

Only for 200-300 and up to 500$ is better to invest in 2 solid Active speakers than 5.1 for same money.
Simply quality of sound per speaker is better, you need to pay 1000$ to get same quality as pair of speakers who cost 250-300$. 

This is right choice, EVGA Sound Card and this small speakers. Sound great, bass and treble are not weak, they are small. They have and Toslink Input, Bluetooth and USB, 3.5mm jack.

https://vanatoo.com/shop/speakers/transparent-zero/

You don't need nothing more for gaming and music on desktop PC.
Speakers are not cheap, but they worth... They are available only in USA, that's bad.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Netherspark
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/13 13:32:14 (permalink)
I'm not crazy about the price, but I'm very interested to hear how it compares to the Sound Blaster Zxr and Xonar STX II.
HRPuffnstuff
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1321
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/13 13:37:39 (permalink)
I want to see some independent reviews of this card as I'm very excited over it.  My asus xonar d2x is 10 years old now with no official driver support in w10 so I'm looking around at my options as its been the best sound card I've had to date.

MSI MEG Z790 ACE, Intel i9 13900k, G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32gb 6600, ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 420 ARGB in push/pull, Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, EVGA Nu Audio, Samsung 990 & 980 Pro's, WD SN850X & Black hdd, EVGA Supernova 1300 G2, Windows 11 Professional, Thermaltake Level 20 XT w/Antec Prizm X 120mm argb fans

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/13 17:55:29 (permalink)
Netherspark
I'm not crazy about the price, but I'm very interested to hear how it compares to the Sound Blaster Zxr and Xonar STX II.

It will all depend on how you use the sound card.  

NU Audio sound card is geared towards listening to high quality audio files in stereo. It's not geared towards improving audio in games, movies or dvd quality audio streams. It's software doesn't have features to do that like you see in Creative and ASUS audio software. 

Creative and ASUS Sound cards are more for general use. They have software features to improve audio or give you direct audio without acoustic engine being used. If you want better audio in games, in movies or while streaming cd quality audio, go with a sound card that is geared towards that.

Maybe later on they might add new software features for the NU Audio card.

FloppyDrive
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/13 20:06:10 (permalink)
I'm still using a Xonar Essence STX with Dolby Headphone. Will this be doing something like Dolby Headphone?
My audio card is a dinosaur, but it still beats both new on-board audio and current add-on cards. I'm stuck with old third-party drivers.
mattman657
iCX Member
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/14 06:39:11 (permalink)
Vlada011
Dima4235

You can use 5.1 with Optical cable.
Good 5.1 speakers are better than moderate 7.1.
SBZxR no 7.1 as well.

Only for 200-300 and up to 500$ is better to invest in 2 solid Active speakers than 5.1 for same money.
Simply quality of sound per speaker is better, you need to pay 1000$ to get same quality as pair of speakers who cost 250-300$. 

This is right choice, EVGA Sound Card and this small speakers. Sound great, bass and treble are not weak, they are small. They have and Toslink Input, Bluetooth and USB, 3.5mm jack.

https://vanatoo.com/shop/speakers/transparent-zero/

You don't need nothing more for gaming and music on desktop PC.
Speakers are not cheap, but they worth... They are available only in USA, that's bad.

You can't use Optical for uncompressed 5.1, such as DSD (SACD) or lossless FLAC. Only compressed multichannel formats such as DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1. This has been discussed in here pretty heavily.

M4A
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/14 10:51:35 (permalink)
mattman657
... DD Live is basically the equivalent of Dolby Prologic II which takes a stereo signal and upmixes to a 5.1 signal, except DD Live is built for PCs. Taking a PC audio source, converting it to DD 5.1, and outputting it via Toslink. ...

No, DDL is not like that.  DDL is AC3.  True multi-channel, but lossy-compressed into available bandwidth.  You must have a DDL encoder (software) available.  AC3 is so old now that all its patents expired a year or two ago.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital

bonus stuff --

forums.evga.com/FindPost/2909180

From

(wikipedia, look up "S/PDIF")  since link was zapped

we have

S/PDIF is based on the AES3 interconnect standard.[3] S/PDIF can carry two channels of uncompressed PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound (such as DTS audio codec); it cannot support lossless surround formats that require greater bandwidth.[4] 

/ / / /

Notice the ... compressed ... part.  Truly odd that nu makes a big deal of the electricals but then shorts it with the limited channels.  It is a non-starter for many like me because of two channels.  Ah, right, next year it will be 8 channels.  You can always upgrade.  Maybe if it's a cheap card.  It's not.  It's a glamour card, for those with more money than sense.  But it's stuck at two channels.  That's ridiculous.

Smoke and mirrors.  This is not like a video card where performance is real - where the measured differences are easy to see.  It's not easy to fool people in what they see.  You can easily fool people in what they hear - they don't have a clue to start so you feed them bull and they buy it.  Anything this nu card does is essentially what you already have, only a 2-channel version.  I could go on if you want me to.  I suspect you don't.
post edited by M4A - 2019/01/14 10:56:32
M4A
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/14 11:08:26 (permalink)
Is required reading.  Don't hesitate.

https://
 people.xiph.org/
 ~xiphmont/
 demo/
 neil-young.html

Educate yourself.

Starts like

Articles last month revealed that musician Neil Young and Apple's Steve Jobs discussed offering digital music downloads of 'uncompromised studio quality'. Much of the press and user commentary was particularly enthusiastic about the prospect of uncompressed 24 bit 192kHz downloads. 24/192 featured prominently in my own conversations with Mr. Young's group several months ago.

Unfortunately, there is no point to distributing music in 24-bit/192kHz format. Its playback fidelity is slightly inferior to 16/44.1 or 16/48, and it takes up 6 times the space.

There are a few real problems with the audio quality and 'experience' of digitally distributed music today. 24/192 solves none of them. While everyone fixates on 24/192 as a magic bullet, we're not going to see any actual improvement.

First, the bad news

... the rest at the link I jumbled above.

post edited by M4A - 2019/01/14 11:16:04
kcwilsonii
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/14 12:06:27 (permalink)
"Not many people have lossless multichannel audio on their computer, and even fewer will use their PCs to drive their playback."

But everyone uses Mutlichannel for gaming etc. I would have foregone the toslink for an HDMI output. I only use toslink when I don't
have any other choice.

The HDMI out would cover any issues for Mutlichannel and allow output back through an amp for what ever you want to playback wise 
regardless of the format
GGTV-Jon
FTW Member
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/14 12:50:01 (permalink)
kcwilsonii
"Not many people have lossless multichannel audio on their computer, and even fewer will use their PCs to drive their playback."

But everyone uses Mutlichannel for gaming etc. I would have foregone the toslink for an HDMI output. I only use toslink when I don't
have any other choice.

The HDMI out would cover any issues for Mutlichannel and allow output back through an amp for what ever you want to playback wise 
regardless of the format

You guys keep confusing the term "Amp" with an AVR = Audio Visual Receiver which generally does have an amp built in. How many real amplifiers for audio only have an HDMI input?

Most dedicated Amplifiers have TOSLink, SPDIF or analog / SACD inputs

Hawkeye360
  • Total Posts : 43
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/14 14:02:16 (permalink)
I’m interested in how this card compares to the new Creative AE-9.

Chassis: Fractal Design Define R4
CPU: Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz
Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S, Noctua NF-A14 ULN x2
MOBO: Asus Z77 Sabertooth
GPU: 780 Ti
RAM: Corsair 16GB LP @ 1866MHz
PSU: Seasonic X-1250
Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz
Audio: Creative ZxR, Audioengine A5+, Shure SRH-840, Sennheiser PC350
Other: Pioneer BDR-207, NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 Kit, 4.5TB external storage
hobib_ali
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/14 18:35:02 (permalink)
wher can i buy this card from? also how to find out if your an elite member?
HRPuffnstuff
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1321
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/14 18:48:45 (permalink)
FloppyDrive
I'm still using a Xonar Essence STX with Dolby Headphone. Will this be doing something like Dolby Headphone?
My audio card is a dinosaur, but it still beats both new on-board audio and current add-on cards. I'm stuck with old third-party drivers.

Are you using the Uni drivers from MaxedTech?  I'm using them with my xonar d2x which is even older than your card.

MSI MEG Z790 ACE, Intel i9 13900k, G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32gb 6600, ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 420 ARGB in push/pull, Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, EVGA Nu Audio, Samsung 990 & 980 Pro's, WD SN850X & Black hdd, EVGA Supernova 1300 G2, Windows 11 Professional, Thermaltake Level 20 XT w/Antec Prizm X 120mm argb fans

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/14 19:53:52 (permalink)
Hawkeye360
I’m interested in how this card compares to the new Creative AE-9.

The AE-9 looks nice. I just watched TheFullNerd podcast on youtube about it. The AE-9 is a bit too extreme for me with the external breakout box.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 14
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile