EVGA

EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 14
Author
nyxagamemnon
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/23 18:34:18 (permalink)
So the sound card doesn't support 5.1 really the receiver will be stuck on PCM. I'm using the same setup with a surround setup and receiver using a SB ZXR. It probably can pass a pre encoded 5.1 signal but that's it.

You need the software side to support the DD or DTS for it to be picked up on the receiver otherwise it won't and you'll be stuck with 2 channel on the optical. I don't get it why all these new sound cards are ditching DD/DTS support. I have to use a sound card from 2012 that has it when I'd like to use a newer one but there all headphone focused and leaves the surround setup's out to dry.

And the reason  that the Sound blaster sounds better is because of the SBX Pro studio and the software that causes the effects. I can ditch  a sound card and use the HDMI out on my GPU to do 5.1 to the receiver but it sounds way worse than the ZXR because of the SBX studio software that does it's thing.

Evga needs to have something similar to creatives SBX Pro studio processing and add in Dolby support otherwise for me anyway there's no point in buying this.

post edited by nyxagamemnon - 2019/01/23 18:42:55
GGTV-Jon
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1813
  • Ribbons : 19
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/23 21:58:58 (permalink)
nyxagamemnon
So the sound card doesn't support 5.1 really the receiver will be stuck on PCM. I'm using the same setup with a surround setup and receiver using a SB ZXR. It probably can pass a pre encoded 5.1 signal but that's it.

You need the software side to support the DD or DTS for it to be picked up on the receiver otherwise it won't and you'll be stuck with 2 channel on the optical. I don't get it why all these new sound cards are ditching DD/DTS support. I have to use a sound card from 2012 that has it when I'd like to use a newer one but there all headphone focused and leaves the surround setup's out to dry.

And the reason  that the Sound blaster sounds better is because of the SBX Pro studio and the software that causes the effects. I can ditch  a sound card and use the HDMI out on my GPU to do 5.1 to the receiver but it sounds way worse than the ZXR because of the SBX studio software that does it's thing.

Evga needs to have something similar to creatives SBX Pro studio processing and add in Dolby support otherwise for me anyway there's no point in buying this.

Hrmm, they said it supports 5.1 on the TOSlink - not sure why you didn't see that

Output Configuration:
  • 2 Channel (Analog)
  • 5.1 Channel (Digital via S/PDIF)

maxinfo
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/23 23:22:49 (permalink)
So it seems that I'm most likely one of a limited target audience for this device. I'm a relatively frequent gamer and also listen to high quality audio (FLAC, DSD) on decent and neutral planer magnetic headphones. Also, I generally don't care about 5.1 on my PC.

I received it earlier today and have been testing it out this evening. I'll most likely be setting it up for a return due to interference issues. There's a decent hum/buzz in stereo coming directly off the headphone jack on the back of the card. Worse on the left side passed 50% volume. Also, the microphone input has much worse interference, and that's without using the boost. I think this is due to the small size of my case and it's proximity the other devices in my system. This was tested with a good quality audio cable (no integrated mic or anything).

Also, as a gamer that generally plays online with others I'm really used to the ability to run with a 'monitor mode' on the mic so I can get real time feedback on my levels. Having a great DAC that can support this would be a awesome deal for me and was one of the leading reasons I purchased it to begin with. Based on everything I've seen in my audio configuration, the driver, or the card, doesn't support this. There's no volume level on the Microphone on the Output side of the device in any of the Mixers I've checked. This is something my junk $3.99 USB sound card supports fine even if everything else about it is pretty much trash.

For those that care I tested DSD over PCM and DSD over ASIO and both worked fine. MQA plays fine but Audirvana is most likely doing some heavy lifting. I told Audirvana to use the DAC as a MQA Decoder and it played a 24/352.8kHz file at 32/44.1 or 24/44.1 in ASIO and WASAPI modes. I'm thinking that should be playing back at 24/352.8kHz but I've only ever messed with MQA a little bit. Not that I can completely ignore the buzzing noises but the audio quality from a music standpoint. Last thing, the analog volume controller is nice if your doing direct decode stuff.

Maybe I'll try the next version. And hopefully that will just be USB instead of USB on a PCI Express card.

-max

Intel i7-8700K Delid @ 5GHz | ASRock Z370M Pro4 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16) @ 3000 | 1x Samsung PM961 1TB NVMe | 2x Samsung 850 512GB (Raid 0) | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid | Intel X540-T2 10Gb Network | Fractal Design Meshify C Mini | Corsair H100i Pro RGB | EVGA 1000w PSU | 
 Alienware 34" AW3418DW G-Sync | 2x 34" Dell U3415W | Kinesis Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G602 Mouse | Oppo PM-3 Headphones w/V-MODA BoomPro Microphone 
nyxagamemnon
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/24 00:23:15 (permalink)
GGTV-Jon
nyxagamemnon

Hrmm, they said it supports 5.1 on the TOSlink - not sure why you didn't see that

Output Configuration:
  • 2 Channel (Analog)
  • 5.1 Channel (Digital via S/PDIF)

If it native encoding is 5.1 might output it but it won't process 5.1 by itself unless there's an option in the software control panel to select DD/DTS/etc for 5.1 out.  https://i.imgur.com/Oaqg3dW.png  <- does it have this in the software options?
jll544
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/24 01:28:43 (permalink)
maxinfo
I'll most likely be setting it up for a return due to interference issues. There's a decent hum/buzz in stereo coming directly off the headphone jack on the back of the card. Worse on the left side passed 50% volume. Also, the microphone input has much worse interference, and that's without using the boost.

Thanks for the report. It's disappointing to learn that the card is susceptible to interference. Looking at the rear photo, it does appear that unbalanced headphone and microphone signals are being carried  across the unshielded rear of the card. In particular, the microphone circuit trace is really long, so it's not surprising that it would pick up more noise. Seems like the card really could have benefited from having a backplate.
remidian
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 430
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/24 07:44:10 (permalink)
Seems expensive compared to an AE-5.

Edited post due to it being too aggressive. Original post below in quote.
post edited by remidian - 2019/01/24 10:23:50

3080 FTW3 Ultra, Hero XIII, 11900k, Samsung 980 PRO 1TB, Acer XB270HU 1440p/144hz, Evga Supernova 1000w platinum. 
Heatware
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14685
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/24 08:39:51 (permalink)
remidian
Why is this $250 when you can buy a Sound Blaster AE-5 for $140 and it has outputs that people will actually use? Can anyone tell me how EVGA's sound card is superior?  In what setups would someone use a 6.3MM headphone or RCA jacks? I haven't seen a speaker setup that uses RCA jacks in a very long time and I have never seen a headset use a 6.3MM port(headphones in the 80's and 90's had them).  Is this sound card mainly for music? Every single 5.1 and 7.1 PC speaker setup I've looked at over the years uses headphone cables which are superior to SPDIF. You're not going to get true 5.1 and 7.1 audio over a Toslink cable. The bandwidth does not support it.

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-70SB174000000-BlasterX-Hi-Resolution-Gaming/dp/B073HT4GM4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1548343810&sr=8-5&keywords=sound+blaster+zxr

AE-5 is a nice all purpose sound card. It support 5.1 and Stereo headphones/headsets. If you turn up windows sample rate and bit depth, it big difference in audio quality.  The NU audio is only a (Stereo) 2-channel sound card. It's built with higher quality components. The current software for it doesn't have very many features. 

I been searching for reviews comparing $250 NU Audio card to other PCIE sound cards, USB sound cards and/or External Amp & DAC setups around the same price point. The only reviews i have found so far, are ones comparing $250 NU Audio to $25 onboard audio. 

maxinfo
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/24 09:25:35 (permalink)
Watch out on the return.

They will hit you with a 15% restock if they determine that the card works for them but didn't for you. Also, if you take the time to RMA the card and try another one you will fall outside the 14 day return window.

Think if I'd ordered it from Newegg, even with full price, I'd be in a better situation after the return.
post edited by maxinfo - 2019/01/24 09:29:03

Intel i7-8700K Delid @ 5GHz | ASRock Z370M Pro4 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16) @ 3000 | 1x Samsung PM961 1TB NVMe | 2x Samsung 850 512GB (Raid 0) | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid | Intel X540-T2 10Gb Network | Fractal Design Meshify C Mini | Corsair H100i Pro RGB | EVGA 1000w PSU | 
 Alienware 34" AW3418DW G-Sync | 2x 34" Dell U3415W | Kinesis Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G602 Mouse | Oppo PM-3 Headphones w/V-MODA BoomPro Microphone 
Cascade
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/24 10:51:16 (permalink)
MSim
No Dolby Digital Live or DTS connect support in the software. Not sure if Dolby Atmos (windows store app ) would give you that or not.

Thank you, I thought as much.

Dolby Atmos is not going to work. Windows Dolby Atmos is either for HDMI or you can have the 'Headphone' version that does a downmix to 2 channels giving 'virtual surround' (kinda defeats the purpose of discrete 5.1 audio channels).

Nereus
Lol, I have no idea about half the stuff you're talking about there, which makes me wonder if you might be more suited to high end gear like Burson which can cost thousands of dollars, as opposed to maybe expecting similar performance and features from a $200 sound card. Again, I am a long way from being an audiophile, so if I'm out of line, please accept my apologies, it's not intended to be offensive/defensive or combative.

Sorry, I am no audiophile at all. I like and enjoy good sound and high quality products, but not at vast expense. Needs to be affordable and practical. Funny, I think most audiophiles would cringe at the thought of using digital audio with SPDIF (think: lossy compression, jitter).

GGTV-Jon

I am sure everyone actually did see that.

The issue is that it does not exactly specify how or what anywhere, that is the point I am trying to make here; the available information is unclear and I would even go as far as to call it misleading.

As it turns out it only does 5.1 passthrough, then yeah you can check a box and call this card 'able to output 5.1'. But try it with games that have full support of 5.1 discrete audio channels, or multi-channel FLACs and you will be very disappointed the NU audio only manages to produce stereo output over SPDIF (even worse: does not even have 5.1 analogue output). This is NOT a 5.1 sound card.

The specs should state very clearly: this SPDIF output supports 2 channel audio and 5.1 passthrough, nothing else.

I will hard pass on the NU Audio. I do like the attention they have paid to the hardware (premium components good, PCI-E - USB bridge bad), but at this price point with these features it is just not for me. Hope others will enjoy it.

Anarion
  • Total Posts : 69
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/24 13:18:53 (permalink)
MSim
remidian
Why is this $250 when you can buy a Sound Blaster AE-5 for $140 and it has outputs that people will actually use? Can anyone tell me how EVGA's sound card is superior?  In what setups would someone use a 6.3MM headphone or RCA jacks? I haven't seen a speaker setup that uses RCA jacks in a very long time and I have never seen a headset use a 6.3MM port(headphones in the 80's and 90's had them).  Is this sound card mainly for music? Every single 5.1 and 7.1 PC speaker setup I've looked at over the years uses headphone cables which are superior to SPDIF. You're not going to get true 5.1 and 7.1 audio over a Toslink cable. The bandwidth does not support it.

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-70SB174000000-BlasterX-Hi-Resolution-Gaming/dp/B073HT4GM4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1548343810&sr=8-5&keywords=sound+blaster+zxr

AE-5 is a nice all purpose sound card. It support 5.1 and Stereo headphones/headsets. If you turn up windows sample rate and bit depth, it big difference in audio quality.  The NU audio is only a (Stereo) 2-channel sound card. It's built with higher quality components. The current software for it doesn't have very many features. 

I been searching for reviews comparing $250 NU Audio card to other PCIE sound cards, USB sound cards and/or External Amp & DAC setups around the same price point. The only reviews i have found so far, are ones comparing $250 NU Audio to $25 onboard audio. 

AE-5 is a 5.1 card but it's pretty much meant for stereo headphone use. Front channels (and in stereo mode) use the Sabre DAC but the rest are handled by the SoundCore3D chip which is trash in comparison. It also uses the ADC in that chip (okay for gaming mic use, not great for digitalising old LPs). AE-5 does offer virtual 5.1 audio and other DSP benefits though. It also does have direct mode for pure stereo audio, which is nice thing for anyone who wants the best quality.
post edited by Anarion - 2019/01/24 13:21:09

Intel Core i7-3770K & Thermalright True Spirit | ASUS P8Z77-V | Corsair AX760 | Define R4 | 4x4GB G.SKILL RipjawsX 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING ACX 3.0 | Samsung S24E390HL | Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX | Samsung 830 128GB, Crucial MX500 2TB & Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB | Windows 10 Pro x64

Netherspark
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/24 16:59:20 (permalink)
nyxagamemnonAnd the reason  that the Sound blaster sounds better is because of the SBX Pro studio and the software that causes the effects. I can ditch  a sound card and use the HDMI out on my GPU to do 5.1 to the receiver but it sounds way worse than the ZXR because of the SBX studio software that does it's thing.

This is also a particular concern for me.  The SBX Pro Studio's 'Surround', Crystallizer and Bass controls really tip my favour towards Creative over the Nu Audio, even if the Nu Audio may have better audio quality.
Anarion
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/24 21:11:19 (permalink)
Netherspark
nyxagamemnonAnd the reason  that the Sound blaster sounds better is because of the SBX Pro studio and the software that causes the effects. I can ditch  a sound card and use the HDMI out on my GPU to do 5.1 to the receiver but it sounds way worse than the ZXR because of the SBX studio software that does it's thing.

This is also a particular concern for me.  The SBX Pro Studio's 'Surround', Crystallizer and Bass controls really tip my favour towards Creative over the Nu Audio, even if the Nu Audio may have better audio quality.

Those two are basically just EQ options. Crystalizer is just a V shaped EQ setting made simple. Bass is just bass EQ boost.

Intel Core i7-3770K & Thermalright True Spirit | ASUS P8Z77-V | Corsair AX760 | Define R4 | 4x4GB G.SKILL RipjawsX 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING ACX 3.0 | Samsung S24E390HL | Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX | Samsung 830 128GB, Crucial MX500 2TB & Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB | Windows 10 Pro x64

genghiskhanpl
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/25 05:12:48 (permalink)
I'm very happy with the Nu Audio.
Previously i had henry audio qnct 1.1 usb dac, and later xDuoo xd-05 combo dac/amp - which is way better than qnct. Now got Nu Audio and it outperforms both qnct and xduoo dac's.

i7 5960x @ 4500mhz, 32gigs 3200mhz ram, asus x99 deluxe II, asus 1080 GTX, EVGA Nu Audio
vegajon
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/25 10:21:34 (permalink)
what is the latency of the card?? 
JerseySeven
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/25 12:59:58 (permalink)
Like genghiskhanpl, I like this card.  I find it has a very crisp, pristine sound without any hint of hiss or background whatsoever.  Treble is clear without sounding tinny, and bass is authoritative without being muddy.  Slight tweaks to the lower and upper range of frequencies on their graphic EQ and it sounds fantastic in my system for both music and movies.  To keep the spouse happy, I use headphones when gaming,  and adding virtual 7.1 sound with either windows sonic for headphones or dolby atmos for headphones works well.

I gave up on Creative after their device stopped being recognized following last April's Win 10 Creators update.  Sure, they published a firmware update, after which windows recognized it again, but it downgraded the sound to 2 channels on my rig and sounded worse than the onboard Realtek chip.  IMO, Creative was pretty decent in the time before Windows Vista, but have struggled with windows drivers since then.  Other users on the Creative forums have similar complaints.
Anarion
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/25 14:02:53 (permalink)
JerseySeven
Like genghiskhanpl, I like this card.  I find it has a very crisp, pristine sound without any hint of hiss or background whatsoever.  Treble is clear without sounding tinny, and bass is authoritative without being muddy.  Slight tweaks to the lower and upper range of frequencies on their graphic EQ and it sounds fantastic in my system for both music and movies.  To keep the spouse happy, I use headphones when gaming,  and adding virtual 7.1 sound with either windows sonic for headphones or dolby atmos for headphones works well.

I gave up on Creative after their device stopped being recognized following last April's Win 10 Creators update.  Sure, they published a firmware update, after which windows recognized it again, but it downgraded the sound to 2 channels on my rig and sounded worse than the onboard Realtek chip.  IMO, Creative was pretty decent in the time before Windows Vista, but have struggled with windows drivers since then.  Other users on the Creative forums have similar complaints.

It's decent now. The problem is that X-Fi cards don't work properly with Windows 10 any more. But then again those are rather ancient and obsolete.

cmaranhao
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 164
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/25 16:18:50 (permalink)
interested in this product since I really like music and even in games, I believe sound has the same importance as visuals. 

interested in using this with both headphones and external speakers and amplifier. 
grit621
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/27 01:09:00 (permalink)
Okay, I finally did some a/b testing between the AE-5 and the Nu Audio using Sennheiser 660's on the back panel. As a side note, the front panel on BOTH cards definitely (and predictably) gives up detail. Also, I disabled ALL of the Sound Blaster processing (apples to apples).

Both cards knock onboard audio on its proverbial butt. If you're interested in digital audio, just use the on-board audio and let the on-board transfer digital audio to some other DAC/processor if you want to use 5.1 etc. If you want or feel that any kind of audio processing makes music sound better, stick with Sound Blaster or on-board audio. It offers what you prefer.

The EVGA's card has it's strengths in the DAC and the amps (which is true for most audio equipment).  If you want "fantastical" 2-ch analog audio, THIS is the card!!

The EVGA Nu Audio has more control, more detail, and more refinement than the Soundblaster AE-5. If you don't mince hairs and/or don't love audio, get the Sound Blaster. You'll be quite happy. If you close your eyes when you listen to music or listen to music in the dark, you absolutely should give this card a try!!

BTW, IMHO, movies and games are pretty easy to reproduce vs. music. After all, can you really tell what a starship sounds like? Or a dinosaur roaring? But music, that's a whole different matter. If you audio device can do music well (like the EVGA NU audio card), rest assured it can handle dialog and gaming just fine!

As a side note.. it's not all roses. I had quite a bit of frustration installing the EVGA drivers. They worked fine right away, but I kept getting an error about the card not being detected. Once I wrestled through what I think may have been a firmware update, the errors went away. I believe EVGA will iron this out in the next iteration of the drivers. 
post edited by grit621 - 2019/01/27 01:12:59
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/27 01:39:15 (permalink)
grit621
Okay, I finally did some a/b testing between the AE-5 and the Nu Audio using Sennheiser 660's on the back panel. As a side note, the front panel on BOTH cards definitely (and predictably) gives up detail. Also, I disabled ALL of the Sound Blaster processing (apples to apples).

Both cards knock onboard audio on its proverbial butt. If you're interested in digital audio, just use the on-board audio and let the on-board transfer digital audio to some other DAC/processor if you want to use 5.1 etc. If you want or feel that any kind of audio processing makes music sound better, stick with Sound Blaster or on-board audio. It offers what you prefer.

The EVGA's card has it's strengths in the DAC and the amps (which is true for most audio equipment).  If you want "fantastical" 2-ch analog audio, THIS is the card!!

The EVGA Nu Audio has more control, more detail, and more refinement than the Soundblaster AE-5. If you don't mince hairs and/or don't love audio, get the Sound Blaster. You'll be quite happy. If you close your eyes when you listen to music or listen to music in the dark, you absolutely should give this card a try!!

BTW, IMHO, movies and games are pretty easy to reproduce vs. music. After all, can you really tell what a starship sounds like? Or a dinosaur roaring? But music, that's a whole different matter. If you audio device can do music well (like the EVGA NU audio card), rest assured it can handle dialog and gaming just fine!

As a side note.. it's not all roses. I had quite a bit of frustration installing the EVGA drivers. They worked fine right away, but I kept getting an error about the card not being detected. Once I wrestled through what I think may have been a firmware update, the errors went away. I believe EVGA will iron this out in the next iteration of the drivers. 

Did you use Direct HP mode on the AE-5? I notice a difference between Headphones 7.1 and Direct HP.
post edited by MSim - 2019/01/27 01:44:13

Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/27 06:15:04 (permalink)
I believe this EVGA Sound Card is better than mine Sound Blaster ZxR.
I'm sure in that, I would use this card on Audioengine A5+ non Wireless version.
That's great gaming setup. 

People used to live and play games without detailed sound. I don't understand that.
Special because Sound system (Speakers and sound cards will not be replaced with every configuration, they could be used decade).
post edited by Vlada011 - 2019/01/27 06:17:22

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Introspector
  • Total Posts : 41
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/27 07:17:09 (permalink)
Vlada011
People used to live and play games without detailed sound. I don't understand that.
Special because Sound system (Speakers and sound cards will not be replaced with every configuration, they could be used decade).

Totally agree! 

Affiliate Code: LC6C702HKL
Sybarite
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/28 02:04:13 (permalink)
Forgive my ignorance, but was there a particular reason for using optical instead of coax for the SPDIF output? I thought coax was better for audio, apart from the ground loop issues that can cause. Optical cables are a problem for me, as my PC is on the opposite side of the room from my AV receiver and I want the long cables to be hidden behind skirting board, which would not be possible with optical cable due to tight bends.
StefanHH
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/28 10:15:34 (permalink)
Hello,
can anyone compare this card to an Asus STX/STX II with regards to music? Thanks
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/28 19:38:16 (permalink)
StefanHH
Hello,
can anyone compare this card to an Asus STX/STX II with regards to music? Thanks

ASUS STX 2 is over 4 years old. ASUS needs to do a refresh of that card adding better hardware on it to support 32bit/384hz.

maxinfo
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/01/30 21:53:25 (permalink)
So as I mentioned earlier I'm returning the card due to interference issue which the rep mentioned they will probably subtract a 15% restocking fee. Strange thing is I did finish some a/b testing before returning to see if I could figure out the cause. Looks like the key point of interference is the the EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid in my system. I suspect it's the water pump, which with the limited space in my system, is right above the where the sound card goes. Had me wondering if EVGA would do an RMA on a video card for electrically noisy water pump? Doesn't matter I guess. I don't have time to test that theory being limited to 14 days on the return on the sound card.

Just giving a heads up for any of you with limited space and perhaps a hybrid cooler on your video card.

maxinfo

So it seems that I'm most likely one of a limited target audience for this device. I'm a relatively frequent gamer and also listen to high quality audio (FLAC, DSD) on decent and neutral planer magnetic headphones. Also, I generally don't care about 5.1 on my PC.

I received it earlier today and have been testing it out this evening. I'll most likely be setting it up for a return due to interference issues. There's a decent hum/buzz in stereo coming directly off the headphone jack on the back of the card. Worse on the left side passed 50% volume. Also, the microphone input has much worse interference, and that's without using the boost. I think this is due to the small size of my case and it's proximity the other devices in my system. This was tested with a good quality audio cable (no integrated mic or anything).

Also, as a gamer that generally plays online with others I'm really used to the ability to run with a 'monitor mode' on the mic so I can get real time feedback on my levels. Having a great DAC that can support this would be a awesome deal for me and was one of the leading reasons I purchased it to begin with. Based on everything I've seen in my audio configuration, the driver, or the card, doesn't support this. There's no volume level on the Microphone on the Output side of the device in any of the Mixers I've checked. This is something my junk $3.99 USB sound card supports fine even if everything else about it is pretty much trash.

For those that care I tested DSD over PCM and DSD over ASIO and both worked fine. MQA plays fine but Audirvana is most likely doing some heavy lifting. I told Audirvana to use the DAC as a MQA Decoder and it played a 24/352.8kHz file at 32/44.1 or 24/44.1 in ASIO and WASAPI modes. I'm thinking that should be playing back at 24/352.8kHz but I've only ever messed with MQA a little bit. Not that I can completely ignore the buzzing noises but the audio quality from a music standpoint. Last thing, the analog volume controller is nice if your doing direct decode stuff.

Maybe I'll try the next version. And hopefully that will just be USB instead of USB on a PCI Express card.

-max

post edited by maxinfo - 2019/01/30 22:01:35

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/02/01 04:02:03 (permalink)
maxinfo
So as I mentioned earlier I'm returning the card due to interference issue which the rep mentioned they will probably subtract a 15% restocking fee. Strange thing is I did finish some a/b testing before returning to see if I could figure out the cause. Looks like the key point of interference is the the EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid in my system. I suspect it's the water pump, which with the limited space in my system, is right above the where the sound card goes. Had me wondering if EVGA would do an RMA on a video card for electrically noisy water pump? Doesn't matter I guess. I don't have time to test that theory being limited to 14 days on the return on the sound card.

Just giving a heads up for any of you with limited space and perhaps a hybrid cooler on your video card.

Fight the restocking fee. Ask to speak to management. Point out all the issues people are reporting on the forums. You shouldn't be punished due to the sound card being released too early.

genghiskhanpl
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/02/01 05:56:18 (permalink)
Line out Op-amp swapped. I chose burson V5i-d amp. Sounds awesome now!

Attached Image(s)

i7 5960x @ 4500mhz, 32gigs 3200mhz ram, asus x99 deluxe II, asus 1080 GTX, EVGA Nu Audio
jeffswitzer
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 126
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/02/01 08:28:09 (permalink)
genghiskhanpl

Nice! I was looking at putting a v6 vivid there. Any idea if it would fit? How noticeable were the changes with the v5i-d and how would you describe the sound difference? I've never op amp rolled before and one of those things where if you look it up on the internet half the people say it doesn't make any difference.
genghiskhanpl
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/02/01 09:07:25 (permalink)
jeffswitzer
genghiskhanpl

Nice! I was looking at putting a v6 vivid there. Any idea if it would fit? How noticeable were the changes with the v5i-d and how would you describe the sound difference? I've never op amp rolled before and one of those things where if you look it up on the internet half the people say it doesn't make any difference.

i will fit if you get rid of cover and rgb panel
after rolling: deeper bass (shocked) , improvment in dynamics and sound stage, also little more details
in the future I also intend to buy v6
post edited by genghiskhanpl - 2019/02/01 09:09:38

Tokyoexpressway
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: EVGA NU AUDIO: LIFELIKE AUDIO 2019/02/01 10:45:01 (permalink)
Hello, thanks for sharing.  Just wondering how easy is it to swap? I have no experience changing circuitry/capacitors, unfortunately.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 14
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile