EVGA GTX 1080 SC - ACX 3.0 Cooler resonance

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
MikeBGeyer
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 343
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 SC - ACX 3.0 Cooler resonance 2017/04/06 04:27:46 (permalink)
A few people related the resonance to speakers and it got me thinking back to my car install days. Dynomat was an excellent solution for issues like this. If you don't know it is a sound dampening mat that works wonders. I have been considering buying some just to quiet up my pc a bit more. I have a noisy HDD and I'm sure it will cure that issue plus some.
pn3umatic
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 SC - ACX 3.0 Cooler resonance 2017/04/18 23:39:19 (permalink)
I have given up trying to achieve a quiet PC.   Even at 20% fan speed I can still hear this subtle SHHHHH SHHHHH noise of the EVGA fans.   Sounds like a very faint plastic on plastic rubbing noise, but it's there and prevents me from running the fans at a low speed at idle, which in turn forces me to use the "adaptive" power mode otherwise idle temps go from 40C to 60C (with web browser open, which stops it from downclocking). 

I also noticed my Noctua NF-F12 CPU fan has the same kind of thing going on as it has this ~120hz sine wave like hum at 1000RPM but not at 1200RPM.   I think it's the way the air is interacting with the heatsink.  Room acoustics may be to blame as well if I move around to different parts of the room, it gets louder/quieter.  The EVGA @ 35-41% is still audible from anywhere in the room.    But even just the positioning of my PC case in the room has a significant impact on overall fan noise.   If I have it to the right of me I can hear the case fans humming, to the left and lower frequency hum is gone.   If I remove the side case panel, that also lessens the hum too which is weird because you would think it should be the opposite.   I guess sound echoes around inside the case and amplifies (standing waves?).   

nosurprisespls
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 SC - ACX 3.0 Cooler resonance 2017/04/23 15:18:43 (permalink)
Ah, finally, now I know where that whistle like sound comes from. I changed my case, CPU, and GPU at the same time and thought it's coming from the case but I can't seem to locate the noise.

I'm on the forum because of the fan revving up and down issue. 

For those that wants to control the fan through the motherboard, you can do it, but you need to cut the fan wires and connect that to a normal-sized 4-pin fan plug. If you don't want to cut the wires, you can find some wires in Fry's electronics that's the same size as the plug pins and insert it into the fan plug. I have done it with older cards that don't control the fan speed well, and it works great -- though I thought we're way pass the need to do that by now.

I haven't bought from EVGA in a long time, and I'm not too happy with this. With so many issues on release, it seems EVGA is cutting corners left and right.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile