EVGA

EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card

Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 45 of 46
Author
z1nonly
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 244
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 09:39:14 (permalink)
My 3080 Ti is a 0.1.

Do *all* 3080 Ti's have new VRM's? (compared to the original 3080's and 3090's)
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2365
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 10:13:53 (permalink)
z1nonly
My 3080 Ti is a 0.1.

3080ti v0.1 =/= 3090 v0.1. The 3080ti came out after the 3090's were already at v1.0 and they have different VRMs than the 3090 did at v0.1. The PCBs are not the same between the two SKUs. I've seen the pictures to show that, and I've actually disassembled mine to put a hybrid kit on it and was able to confirm what chips were on there. I don't think there's been a revision to the 3080ti board. I don't have a 3090 though and I've only seen pictures of the v0.1 of those.

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
sethleigh
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 796
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 10:14:09 (permalink)
I haven't read all 45 pages of this, but this is an interesting topic to me because I've got a 3080ti coming in tomorrow and I also play New World.

My question is: would it be a viable workaround for any risk here to just go into the NVidia Control Panel, under Manage 3D Settings, and set a driver-level framerate cap at my monitor's refresh rate? My monitor will do 120hz, so if I set a framerate cap to 120hz presumably there wouldn't be any risk that in low-effort scenes (menus or just easy to render areas) the GPU will run away and draw enough power to cause these power delivery spikes that overwhelm the VRM circuitry.

I realize that achieving framerates faster than a monitor's refresh rate is considered a thing for competitive e-sports type folks due to how it affects input latency from mouse and keyboard inputs, but although I don't think I'm a terrible gamer, I highly doubt that if I die in any game it's because my input latency was worse because my framerate was capped at 120hz instead of letting it run away.

To the OP topic here, with the 3090s or other high-powered cards that are running into power issues with games like New World, would simply limiting framerate in the NVidia control panel be a viable precaution? I see suggestions of people lowering the power limit in their driver to like 60% or whatever, but that seems pretty heavy-handed to me. I highly doubt the cards are frying themselves in scenes where they're just barely exceeding their monitor's refresh rate - I'm betting that it's down to scenes that can be rendered arbitrarily and needlessly fast.

Happy EVGA customer.  Affiliate Code: 0Y7-1VU-ATW2

GigaByte X570 Aorus Master, AMD Ryzen 5900x under Optimus Foundation block, 32gb G.Skill DDR4 @ 3800 MHz 14-14-14-28, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra under Optimus block, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, EVGA Supernova G6 850W PS, ASUS 34" 3440x1440p 120Hz ultrawide, Lenovo 24" 1080p secondary monitor, Win 10

z1nonly
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 244
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 10:47:19 (permalink)
B0baganoosh
z1nonly
My 3080 Ti is a 0.1.

3080ti v0.1 =/= 3090 v0.1. The 3080ti came out after the 3090's were already at v1.0 and they have different VRMs than the 3090 did at v0.1. The PCBs are not the same between the two SKUs. I've seen the pictures to show that, and I've actually disassembled mine to put a hybrid kit on it and was able to confirm what chips were on there. I don't think there's been a revision to the 3080ti board. I don't have a 3090 though and I've only seen pictures of the v0.1 of those.

Good info. Thanks.
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 11:39:04 (permalink)
sethleigh
I haven't read all 45 pages of this, but this is an interesting topic to me because I've got a 3080ti coming in tomorrow and I also play New World.

My question is: would it be a viable workaround for any risk here to just go into the NVidia Control Panel, under Manage 3D Settings, and set a driver-level framerate cap at my monitor's refresh rate? My monitor will do 120hz, so if I set a framerate cap to 120hz presumably there wouldn't be any risk that in low-effort scenes (menus or just easy to render areas) the GPU will run away and draw enough power to cause these power delivery spikes that overwhelm the VRM circuitry.

I realize that achieving framerates faster than a monitor's refresh rate is considered a thing for competitive e-sports type folks due to how it affects input latency from mouse and keyboard inputs, but although I don't think I'm a terrible gamer, I highly doubt that if I die in any game it's because my input latency was worse because my framerate was capped at 120hz instead of letting it run away.

To the OP topic here, with the 3090s or other high-powered cards that are running into power issues with games like New World, would simply limiting framerate in the NVidia control panel be a viable precaution? I see suggestions of people lowering the power limit in their driver to like 60% or whatever, but that seems pretty heavy-handed to me. I highly doubt the cards are frying themselves in scenes where they're just barely exceeding their monitor's refresh rate - I'm betting that it's down to scenes that can be rendered arbitrarily and needlessly fast.

Framerate isn't really a major factor. There have been several reports of people who have limited their 3090 (or other card) to 60FPS and still killed it playing New World. That's why folks are suggesting a heavy-handed power reduction while playing this game. Also, just a note, if you run Precision X1 it will override any FPS cap you put into the Nvidia control panel, so you'll have to do the setting there. I can't tell you what to do, but I can say if I was going to run the game with my 3080ti (even though there's been very limited reports of issues with 3080tis), I'd make sure the voltage slider was all the way to the left and I'd drop the power slider down to about 60-65%. I'd also cap the FPS at 60 in Precision X1. It may be over-protective, but I don't enjoy the RMA process, so that's what I'd do personally if I was dead-set on playing that game. I have no interest in the game though, so it is easy for me to say.

Just to sum things up for you, there are issues with the version 0.1 PCB 3090's. Other cards have some failures too, but those have the most. This game does something that aggravates any weakness in the card's design. We don't know what that something is and we only have one confirmation (that I'm aware of) and it was a different brand that showed the VRM rail was burned out. It seems from the evidence we have that it is probably in relation to sudden current spikes that the cards' VRMs aren't responding fast enough to. So the hardware design isn't good enough for what that game is causing the GPU to do. It sounds to me like the game has enough issues to fairly say that the coding is poorly implemented and exacerbating the issue. We don't have enough confirmed information to say exactly who's fault that is or what the fix is, but I think from what we know the fault is #1: Nvidia/AIB (in this case where we're here talking about 3090 FTW's: it is EVGA but with Nvidia's guidance /bad information on what VRM topologies are acceptable to use), #2 New World (this is debated, but the exacerbating part is why I'm giving them a little slice of blame here too as nothing else has caused this many failures and across a variety of SKUs from a variety of manufacturers, but it is primarily (overwhelmingly) a hardware issue).

Edit: Also, EVGA confirmed that there were a batch of cards (that happened to also be v0.1 3090FTWs) that had bad soldering. I'm sure that didn't help and was a real issue, but I don't believe that's the only issue as they said they had found all of those...and then there were a bunch more failures.
post edited by B0baganoosh - 2021/10/25 11:43:23

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
Bastinen
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 11:55:32 (permalink)
Im having the black screen fans maxing issue when playing New World on my EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra. I have managed to cut the power and thus, I think, I have saved the GPU. This started happening to me after more than 150 hours in to the game. Then all of a sudden when one day I was booting the game and was just loading into the server this happened the first time. I cut power and rebooted, and then launched the game again thinking its was only an abnormality. It then worked fine again, only for it to happen again after about 45 minutes in the game. After that attempt I havent had the guts to start the game again, and this is the only game where this seemingly happens.

So my question is, what is the way to go here? Do I contact my retailer and demand an RMA or do I wait for a fix? Im really in the blue here not knowing what to do. I love the game and it would be a bummer to have to let it down, but I guess I could survive that. But I wouldn´t want to do that only for this happen later down the line in some other game.

Thanks for any reply to this, as i really don´t know how to go about this situation.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 12:16:54 (permalink)
Bastinen
So my question is, what is the way to go here? Do I contact my retailer and demand an RMA or do I wait for a fix?

No, just keep playing the game, if you want to play the game. There is no reason to RMA the card if it isn't dead. The overcurrent protection thing (the card turning off and fans going to full blast) doesn't mean that there is something wrong with your specific card. It doesn't wear out to the point that it happens. It just happens due to a design issue. There's not much you can do but try to limit the power that the game draws in momentary spikes.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 12:20:37 (permalink)
Bastinen
Im having the black screen fans maxing issue when playing New World on my EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra. I have managed to cut the power and thus, I think, I have saved the GPU. This started happening to me after more than 150 hours in to the game. Then all of a sudden when one day I was booting the game and was just loading into the server this happened the first time. I cut power and rebooted, and then launched the game again thinking its was only an abnormality. It then worked fine again, only for it to happen again after about 45 minutes in the game. After that attempt I havent had the guts to start the game again, and this is the only game where this seemingly happens.

So my question is, what is the way to go here? Do I contact my retailer and demand an RMA or do I wait for a fix? Im really in the blue here not knowing what to do. I love the game and it would be a bummer to have to let it down, but I guess I could survive that. But I wouldn´t want to do that only for this happen later down the line in some other game.

Thanks for any reply to this, as i really don´t know how to go about this situation.

There are a couple approaches here. I would bet that whatever the card uses to protect itself in the event that's triggering the safety shutdown (black screens, fans 100%) can only do it so many times. It might start triggering sooner, or eventually fail, which would result in a dead VRM and a blown fuse (ala the card BuildZoid evaluated). You can try reducing the power limit in Precision X1 to see if that buys you more time. You can keep hitting it with New World until it doesn't come back. You can also contact EVGA support and tell them about the problem to see if they'll give you an RMA before it actually pops. I'd say those are your options unless New World gets a patch that stops itself from doing...whatever it is that it does to cause the spiking behavior. I kind of feel like they're not going to do that because I don't think anybody is putting pressure on them. Folks like EVGA are RMAing cards, so Amazon will probably hope that just keeps happening.

pavan407
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 12:29:23 (permalink)
I've been desperate to play this game because of my love for MMORPGs. Although I have a 3080 Ti FTW3, as a safety measure I ran New World on my old rig with an ASUS GTX 780 Ti / 4790k (No overclock on both) @ 1080p 60FPS until there was more info available on the reliability with New World and 3080 Ti's. After 6 hours of gameplay with the lowest settings and 60 FPS cap in NVIDIA control panel, my PC blackscreened and GPU fans went jet mode. Had to force restart but luckily my 780 Ti is fine (I hope).

Coincidence? In my ~7 years of ownership of this card, not once has it blackscreened on any game. Haven't touched the game since let alone with my 3080 Ti FTW3.
Bastinen
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 12:36:23 (permalink)
B0baganoosh
Bastinen

There are a couple approaches here. I would bet that whatever the card uses to protect itself in the event that's triggering the safety shutdown (black screens, fans 100%) can only do it so many times. It might start triggering sooner, or eventually fail, which would result in a dead VRM and a blown fuse (ala the card BuildZoid evaluated). You can try reducing the power limit in Precision X1 to see if that buys you more time. You can keep hitting it with New World until it doesn't come back. You can also contact EVGA support and tell them about the problem to see if they'll give you an RMA before it actually pops. I'd say those are your options unless New World gets a patch that stops itself from doing...whatever it is that it does to cause the spiking behavior. I kind of feel like they're not going to do that because I don't think anybody is putting pressure on them. Folks like EVGA are RMAing cards, so Amazon will probably hope that just keeps happening.

I think of myself as to casual (noobish) when it comes to adjusting powerlimits and so forth. So I guess my way forward will be to first pushing this to my retailer and see what course of action they would take while in the meantime just leave New World alone for time being and hope for a patch. I noticed a "semi-official" statement at the New world forum that they are still activly pursuing a solution to this, but as they at this point dont have a clue as to what causes this it will probably take some time.
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 13:41:23 (permalink)
pavan407
I've been desperate to play this game because of my love for MMORPGs. Although I have a 3080 Ti FTW3, as a safety measure I ran New World on my old rig with an ASUS GTX 780 Ti / 4790k (No overclock on both) @ 1080p 60FPS until there was more info available on the reliability with New World and 3080 Ti's. After 6 hours of gameplay with the lowest settings and 60 FPS cap in NVIDIA control panel, my PC blackscreened and GPU fans went jet mode. Had to force restart but luckily my 780 Ti is fine (I hope).

Coincidence? In my ~7 years of ownership of this card, not once has it blackscreened on any game. Haven't touched the game since let alone with my 3080 Ti FTW3.

This right here is why I put some blame on New World. There are lots of these reports, from all sorts of cards. Most cards will protect themselves (at least several times) and go into protect mode without dying. This is what is supposed to happen if some abnormal load causes an overcurrent on the gpu. The main issue I see with the 3090's is that they don't always do this correctly and end up dying. That's why I put most of the blame with the hardware.

The fact that New World can cause all sorts of cards from several years of different generations to go into protect mode means it is doing something wrong. It needs a patch to prevent the abnormal overstress it regularly puts on cards. That said, if your card does not protect itself and actually bricks from this event, it is a hardware fault and should be RMA'd, with full coverage of the card manufacturer. 

SyncFx
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 17:32:29 (permalink)
B0baganoosh
pavan407

This right here is why I put some blame on New World. There are lots of these reports, from all sorts of cards. Most cards will protect themselves (at least several times) and go into protect mode without dying. This is what is supposed to happen if some abnormal load causes an overcurrent on the gpu. The main issue I see with the 3090's is that they don't always do this correctly and end up dying. That's why I put most of the blame with the hardware.

The fact that New World can cause all sorts of cards from several years of different generations to go into protect mode means it is doing something wrong. It needs a patch to prevent the abnormal overstress it regularly puts on cards. That said, if your card does not protect itself and actually bricks from this event, it is a hardware fault and should be RMA'd, with full coverage of the card manufacturer. 

From Buildzoid latest video on the subject he believes it might be the undervolt protection triggering and not the over current protection simply because its damn near impossible to trigger the over current on the UPI 9511R controllers. I've RMA'd my first 3090 3 weeks ago due to 3 black screens/100% fans all from New World.

I'm being dumb and started playing it again but this time with a 70% power limit/120fps cap and 1080p windowed(was 1440p fullscreen). From the 3 hours I played last night my avg watts was 170 with a spike to 225w.
ZoranC
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1099
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 17:50:27 (permalink)
B0baganoosh
The fact that New World can cause all sorts of cards from several years of different generations to go into protect mode means it is doing something wrong.

No, it means it is doing something that seems to be exposing hardware design flaw that could be shared across multiple generations/models of cards.

No properly designed card should ever “jump off the cliff and die” when software tells it “I need more juice -IF- you can deliver it”. All software is doing is asking for what card can give, it is on card to decide “this is how much I can give you and I can do it this fast, not any more than that”.

Just like the car that has 200mph / 10,000 RPM speed limiter doesn’t go above that when you press pedal to the metal no matter how much you pressed. If it does and engine overrevs / explodes fault is not in your (New World) foot but in limiter not preventing it. Especially because it seems it is not just New World triggering it.
post edited by ZoranC - 2021/10/25 17:51:49
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 18:08:32 (permalink)
@ZoranC, I know I was a bit wordy, but I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. I also said that if the card dies, it is a hardware issue first and foremost.

There are reports of all kinds of cards of various brands and generations that go into protection mode while playing New World (not die, but go into protection mode... Well... Some die). This shouldn't happen in a game. It's not normal and to act like New World is doing nothing wrong is ridiculous. Is it Amazon's fault the cards actually die? No. But there's no good reason for what their game is doing. It is creating an overstress that they don't even understand. There are plenty of cards, like the 780ti above that are protecting themselves correctly, and that's what should happen in the case of an overstress like they are experiencing. They should shut down and protect themselves so they don't die. The cards that fail instead have a design fault.

That said, why is this particular game causing a situation on many cards where they have to protect themselves from burning up? It's not even a graphically demanding game. This shouldn't happen. There's no good reason for it. I agree 100% that the cards shouldn't "jump off a cliff". But using your example, why is the game asking them to? Or to use the other example, why is it bypassing the physical movement of the pedal to hit the digital pedals (let's get modern here) and asking the engine for 0% throttle, then 200% then 0% then 200% in rapid succession until the computer gets confused and puts the car in "limp home" mode? Sorry, the car example is not really relevant considering the vast differences in architecture and how many variables there are in the circuit topologies and software, firmware, etc., but I tried to use it seeing how you brought it up.

In terms of the 3090 FTW Rev 0.1s dying, I know more than one game has caused them to fail. That's why I said the primary fault for those was with EVGA and Nvidia for the design decision and guidance/approval.

ZoranC
FTW Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 18:41:58 (permalink)
B0baganoosh
@ZoranC, I know I was a bit wordy, but I think you misinterpreted what I was saying.  I also said that if the card dies, it is a hardware issue first and foremost. …

I don’t think I have misinterpreted what you said. I believe you are saying that at least some responsibility is with software (in this case New World).

What I am trying to say is that until real culprit is identified nobody/nothing is in the clear, including software, but that everything so far indicates it has nothing to do with software, that spotlight should be on hardware as culprit and it is certain software that is bringing underlying issue into the spotlight.

For start, it happens with other software too. If car’s engine blows up past the limiter you can ask yourself is it driver or the engine at fault. If multiple cars designed by same company over the years do same with different drivers then you know it has nothing to do with driver, spotlight is now on designer/manufacturer.

To continue with car analogy: Why have drivers requested from engine “give me all you got as fast as you can”? Well, that is what drivers of any car do when they need to accelerate. Why is their request resulting in engine / turbo spooling up as fast as it can? Well, that is what engines / turbos do when asked to accelerate. Those two questions are irrelevant. Question that is relevant is why limiters and turbo blow off valve didn’t engage fast enough / in sufficient amount to prevent overshooting of the maximum engine can take without blowing.
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/26 03:38:12 (permalink)
The car thing just isn't working here. A graphics card has more than just a gas pedal, it isn't as simple as "go full throttle". Plenty of cards are dying while not running anywhere near maximum power.

There are two things I've been referring to here, one is v0.1 3090FTW cards. These were dying in other applications too. Clearly a hardware issue. The second topic is the fact that New World is putting various cards into a safety shutdown. Cards that don't have that issue in any other application. So New World is exacerbating a hardware issue already present with 3090FTW v0.1 cards, but also overstressing other cards for no legitimate purpose (its not intended by the developer at all).

We agree on the first point. You then think my second point is at odds with the first, but they are not mutually exclusive. New World is more stressful on a gpu than a "stress test" is without even fully utilizing the graphics card. It is creating a special situation that the cards have to shut down and crank the fans in order to save themselves. Why should they not try and fix whatever is causing that? It's not just "throttle to 100%" it's more like they plug in a computer tuner when they get in and it doesn't set things up properly so some cars die, even if the driver is just cruising down the road going 30mph at 1800 rpm (just trying to use the car comparison you won't let go of). The car(d) shouldn't die, yes, but why wouldn't you want them to also fix the crappy tuning software?
post edited by B0baganoosh - 2021/10/26 03:39:52

flg2010
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 316
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/26 07:31:37 (permalink)

For the 3090 0.1 card there needs to be an actual recall and replacement.  If EVGA wants to move forward with an intact rep.

Short of that...  well there are more stable alternatives.

---Main Rig Build ---
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, CPU Cooler: NZXT X73 360, GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, MB: ASUS CH VIII Formula, RAM: 64GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3600, Storage:  2TB Adata M.2, 2TB WD SSD, 500GB WD SSD, Case:  Thermaltake ARGB View51
Ravena
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/26 09:31:16 (permalink)
and the answer is no i still got another 0.1 rev after asking for a 1.0

it will probbaly blow again, after that probably will request complete refund cause 3090's kinda suck bruh

the difference between the one i got this time and the last time is this one has a QC sticker on it.
post edited by Ravena - 2021/10/26 09:35:57
ZoranC
FTW Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/26 10:34:16 (permalink)
B0baganoosh
The car thing just isn't working here. A graphics card has more than just a gas pedal, it isn't as simple as "go full throttle". Plenty of cards are dying while not running anywhere near maximum power.

There are two things I've been referring to here, one is v0.1 3090FTW cards. These were dying in other applications too. Clearly a hardware issue. The second topic is the fact that New World is putting various cards into a safety shutdown. Cards that don't have that issue in any other application. So New World is exacerbating a hardware issue already present with 3090FTW v0.1 cards, but also overstressing other cards for no legitimate purpose (its not intended by the developer at all).

We agree on the first point. You then think my second point is at odds with the first, but they are not mutually exclusive. New World is more stressful on a gpu than a "stress test" is without even fully utilizing the graphics card. It is creating a special situation that the cards have to shut down and crank the fans in order to save themselves. Why should they not try and fix whatever is causing that? It's not just "throttle to 100%" it's more like they plug in a computer tuner when they get in and it doesn't set things up properly so some cars die, even if the driver is just cruising down the road going 30mph at 1800 rpm (just trying to use the car comparison you won't let go of). The car(d) shouldn't die, yes, but why wouldn't you want them to also fix the crappy tuning software?

Unfortunately I don’t have enough time to respond to your post in detail so I will briefly point out few things which I believe have been already pointed out:

1. From what I am reading it seems that you are incorrect in your statement that New World is only application triggering safety shutdowns.

2. You are incorrect in believing it is just New World (or any other software) and video card that are involved in final result. When piece of graphics software wants something rendered it (roughly) calls graphic library (responsibility of Microsoft), graphic library interacts with card’s driver (responsibility of Nvidia), driver interacts with card (responsibility of Nvidia and its partner), and also card’s firmware is involved (again responsibility of Nvidia and its partner). So New World or any other piece of software could be making what seemed a perfectly legitimate call to developer and accidentally created perfect storm condition. Should they all be looking into it together? Yes. But way I see it New World here is a victim of circumstance. No modern end user graphic software that I know of interacts directly with hardware.

Also, your “crappy tuning software” analogy is missing one huge point. In this case “tuning software” would be card’s driver and/or firmware. Which is again not responsibility of New World but Nvidia and its partners. New World is just “person” behind the wheel that is trying to drive that car and has requested it accelerates.
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/26 11:59:50 (permalink)
ZoranC
B0baganoosh

Unfortunately I don’t have enough time to respond to your post in detail so I will briefly point out few things which I believe have been already pointed out:

1. From what I am reading it seems that you are incorrect in your statement that New World is only application triggering safety shutdowns.

2. You are incorrect in believing it is just New World (or any other software) and video card that are involved in final result. When piece of graphics software wants something rendered it (roughly) calls graphic library (responsibility of Microsoft), graphic library interacts with card’s driver (responsibility of Nvidia), driver interacts with card (responsibility of Nvidia and its partner), and also card’s firmware is involved (again responsibility of Nvidia and its partner). So New World or any other piece of software could be making what seemed a perfectly legitimate call to developer and accidentally created perfect storm condition. Should they all be looking into it together? Yes. But way I see it New World here is a victim of circumstance. No modern end user graphic software that I know of interacts directly with hardware.

Also, your “crappy tuning software” analogy is missing one huge point. In this case “tuning software” would be card’s driver and/or firmware. Which is again not responsibility of New World but Nvidia and its partners. New World is just “person” behind the wheel that is trying to drive that car and has requested it accelerates.

*sigh*...again, that's not what I said. 

To expand on what I did say and get away from the car analogies that don't really work here at all, I'll add this:
New World should be working with Nvidia, AMD, and Microsoft (and maybe even others, I don't know) to try and figure out why their software is putting so many cards into a safety shutdown condition. Should it happen? no. It is happening though. It is happening to 3090s, 3080s, 780tis, 1070s, AMD cards, just about every card out there can have this happen and there are reports of it happening. Why is that happening? Should it be fixed with a game update or a driver update? Maybe both. Furmark used to kill cards, so Nvidia came up with a driver update that detected Furmark and throttled the card. So maybe Nvidia and AMD need to throttle the cards while people play New World. I don't feel like that's the best answer, but it might be part of the solution. The problem with that idea is that older cards are not supported by the new drivers anymore. So New World might still cause problems for those cards. Your suggestion seems to be that "every card that exists has a design fault" (not an actual quote, just a paraphrase). Doesn't that sounds much less reasonable than "maybe New World is doing something wrong"?

New World is not the only application that has ever caused the shutdowns. I didn't say it was. I did say that it is causing shutdowns on all kinds of graphics cards. This needs to be addressed, preferably by a patch to their game and working with Nvidia, AMD, and probably Intel soon to get updated drivers out there that limits the bad behavior causing problems.

It is not Amazon's fault that cards died. It is their fault (and maybe Microsoft, AMD, and Nvidia's fault too, which I did not indicate otherwise by the way) that their software is causing this "perfect storm" or bad situation. So they should be involved in making that not happen anymore. There's no good reason for it to happen. You literally reiterated my point and then said I was wrong lol. I think you read it with a very binary logic in that if I said New World/Amazon had some responsibility for causing the bad situation (shutdowns) that I meant they alone own all responsibility and that's not what I said. It's not 0 or 1. They share a piece of the pie. They have some responsibility for their game causing shutdowns in so many graphics cards.

All of that said, all of my theories here are 100% conjecture based on the evidence we have and data provided by users and industry experts that have spoken about it. We don't have any confirmation from Nvidia, EVGA, Amazon, or anybody else that they know exactly why people's graphics cards have shutdowns in New World, or why a bunch of 3090's (and some other cards) are dying when they try to play this particular game (yes, I know that the v0.1 3090 FTW3 also had a tendency to die in Halo:MC, LoL, and a couple other older games). Until there's confirmation or enough data is collected to verify independently, we won't know for sure. 

We also know that some v0.1 3090 FTW3s have been operating completely fine for people in every application tested. So we can't even say with full confidence that every single one of them is bad. It seems there was enough concern about their design that EVGA revised the board and VRM circuit, but that doesn't mean that all of the v0.1's will die. 

ZoranC
FTW Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/26 12:26:53 (permalink)
B0baganoosh
*sigh*...again, that's not what I said.

It seems what I'm saying is not coming across so I will leave it at that.

B0baganoosh
It is happening to 3090s, 3080s, 780tis, 1070s, AMD cards, just about every card out there can have this happen and there are reports of it happening.

I'm not aware of a single report of it happening to AMD cards. If you are I would appreciate links to them, please, so I can inform myself better.
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/26 13:01:33 (permalink)
ZoranC
I'm not aware of a single report of it happening to AMD cards. If you are I would appreciate links to them, please, so I can inform myself better.

Sure thing:
6800XT (if you look in the rest of this thread, there are 3080tis, 3080s, a 2070, and 1070 from various brands with shutdowns and some deaths)
6900XT (crashing unless capping FPS)
6900XT
6800XT (Also a 3070 and 3080s in this thread)
6900XT
6900XT

There are other sites too, but that gives you the idea. It is notable that most of them just have a crashing issue, some hard crashing requiring some downtime and unplugging/re-plugging things to get it back, others just black screens and/or driver crashes. Only a few of these incidents I found in a quick search actually resulted in a bricked card. So as I had said before, the cards should protect themselves (and most do), but this game seems to be very unstable and causes issues for a lot of people. I mean, just search "game crashing" on there. It's definitely got issues.

ZoranC
FTW Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/26 14:38:00 (permalink)
B0baganoosh
Sure thing: ...

Thank you! It seems I should be visiting reddit :) Based on that it seems that:

1. Some cards are better than others at protecting themselves from being damaged by “overrevving” but quite a few do not prevent “overrevving” itself.

2. There is no reliable info available to us outsiders that could completely point fingers in certain directions and completely excuse others. Until true culprit is found (almost) everyone is a suspect in varying degree. However, if one could trust reports that both Nvidia and AMD are experiencing this -and- that New World is not only software that triggers it that puts spotlight on rest of parts in equation, ones that remain common to all cases. Those would, to my knowledge, be: a) graphics libraries, and b) parts of video cards that are not unique to AMD/Nvidia. Former as potentially one that is leading to overrevving and later as potentially one that is failing to prevent damage from overrevving.

Which further confirms need for all vendors involved in that chain to work together in the best interest of their consumers.
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/26 18:19:57 (permalink)
ZoranC
Which further confirms need for all vendors involved in that chain to work together in the best interest of their consumers.

I completely agree!

nightskycode
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/26 22:59:34 (permalink)
Does anyone know when the RMA arrives if I need to sign for it? If so I may have to have it held at the post office for pick up as I'm always at work. It says 24G-P5-3982-B2 was the part number for replacement, different than my other 3090, so I think it may be a Rev 1.0. Either way, I never played new world, never will. It crashes for me on halo and my 3D modeling software I use for work. Card never died, it did a good job at revving the fans up and saving itself. Though, I had enough of the lost work.
post edited by nightskycode - 2021/10/28 14:53:01
d.burnette
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5496
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/27 04:08:26 (permalink)
nightskycode
Does anyone know when the RMA arrives if I need to sign for it? If so I may have to have it held at the post office for pick up as I'm always at work. It says 24G-P5-3982-B2 was the part number shipped, differnat than my other 3090, so I think it may be a Rev 1.0. Either way, I never played new world, never will. It crashes for me on halo and my 3D modeling software I use for work. Card never died, it did a good job at revving the fans up and saving itself. Though, I had enough of the lost work.

Mine did not require a signature.

Don 

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w Power Supply | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA SSD | EVGA DG 87 Case |

bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11099
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/27 10:07:00 (permalink)
No signature for now with UPS because of covid. 

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

nightskycode
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/28 17:08:58 (permalink)
bill1024

That's good to hear, though I may change the delivery option on UPS's website to pickup. A 3090 is not something you want some random highschool kid on a walk to snag off your porch.It's never happened to me, though if it did happen, it would be this package lol
Fayalite
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 253
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/28 19:08:51 (permalink)
nightskycode
bill1024

That's good to hear, though I may change the delivery option on UPS's website to pickup. A 3090 is not something you want some random highschool kid on a walk to snag off your porch.It's never happened to me, though if it did happen, it would be this package lol

I watch my deliveries like a hawk... And I work from home so it helps 😜 but yeah I would make a pick up at the store if I was not from home... No way, too risky.

jdaline
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/29 15:07:33 (permalink)
As a 3090 FTW3 Red-lips owner circa November 2020 SN, I can confirm here that an FPS cap in Rivatuner and Nvidia Settings along with decreasing your power limit to 75% is not completely sufficient to protect the card. I've played approx 100-150 hours in new world with it using those settings so I was starting to believe it was a safe solution, but when I teleported from one city to another it crashed the computer and bricked the card like so many others. Now the wait begins! Thanks everyone for the info on this thread it's been very informative.
Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 45 of 46
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile