EVGA

EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card

Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 44 of 46
Author
JSmiLez
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/21 13:50:03 (permalink)
Yea put you power to 75 on X1 and you should be good. Yeah I got black lips on my card I’m so happy with evga! I will forever buy evga GPUs
Abadx
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/21 13:52:54 (permalink)
oh how I know ?
I'm really sure my dead card is 0.1
but How do I know the version of the replaced card?
I am scared to get card have same issues  
I'm from Middle East I just paid $200 just for shipping it is a pain guys
post edited by Abadx - 2021/10/21 13:59:58
JSmiLez
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/21 14:21:20 (permalink)
It’s says it I. The card rev .01 or rev 1.0 or a easier way to tell is black lips or red lips. Mine is rev 1.0 and has black lips. My rev .01 had red lips
Ravena
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/21 15:16:21 (permalink)
JSmiLez
It’s says it I. The card rev .01 or rev 1.0 or a easier way to tell is black lips or red lips. Mine is rev 1.0 and has black lips. My rev .01 had red lips

I hate that refrance cause i have a hybrid card and red lip and black dont mean anything to me lol

Abadx
oh how I know ?
I'm really sure my dead card is 0.1
but How do I know the version of the replaced card?
I am scared to get card have same issues  
I'm from Middle East I just paid $200 just for shipping it is a pain guys

the under side of the pcie slot on the little tab it will say rev 0.1 or 1.0

RogueMaster
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 403
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/21 15:23:22 (permalink)
JSmiLez

Revision 0.1 cards come in both red and black versions. The color alone does not guarantee a specific revision #.

nightskycode
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/21 16:45:35 (permalink)
I sent my black lips rev 0.1, yes.. it was black lips and a 0.1. I requested a 1.0 in my RMA. I sent a black lips card and will be very upset if they send me a 0.1 card with red lips, as ill RMA for sending the incorrect color as I bought the card with black lips to match the ascetics of my PC, that I put a lot of work into.
post edited by nightskycode - 2021/10/21 16:48:23
Flint 1760
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8149
  • Ribbons : 45
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/21 17:10:02 (permalink)
nightskycode
I sent my black lips rev 0.1, yes.. it was black lips and a 0.1. I requested a 1.0 in my RMA. I sent a black lips card and will be very upset if they send me a 0.1 card with red lips, as ill RMA for sending the incorrect color as I bought the card with black lips to match the ascetics of my PC, that I put a lot of work into.

Unfortunately I don't think that having a red or a black piece of plastic qualifies for warranty replacement as per EVGA's warranty terms:

"EVGA Corporation ("EVGA") warrants that the Product (defined below) delivered hereunder to the original purchaser ("Original Purchaser") from EVGA.com or an EVGA Authorized Reseller (each an "Authorized Reseller") will be free from material and workmanship defects that adversely affect the performance of the Product under normal use, pursuant to the terms outlined below."  https://www.evga.com/warranty/graphics-cards/

nightskycode
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/21 17:17:25 (permalink)
Most red lips are rev 0.1. If its a red lip rev 1. Then fine... But if its a red lip, 0.1 and it does not hit the advertised 500watt bios, which 90% of 0.1's wont, ill submit an RMA through OC3090's email at that point.
post edited by nightskycode - 2021/10/21 17:18:32
flg2010
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 316
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/21 17:40:54 (permalink)
Flint 1760
nightskycode

Unfortunately I don't think that having a red or a black piece of plastic qualifies for warranty replacement as per EVGA's warranty terms:

"EVGA Corporation ("EVGA") warrants that the Product (defined below) delivered hereunder to the original purchaser ("Original Purchaser") from EVGA.com or an EVGA Authorized Reseller (each an "Authorized Reseller") will be free from material and workmanship defects that adversely affect the performance of the Product under normal use, pursuant to the terms outlined below."  https://www.evga.com/warranty/graphics-cards/

Yeah I asked for a v1.0... I got the same PCB version.. a 0.1.. so its likely I will see some crashing again eventually in the same low end games.  I am so tempted to sell this damn card and get get a 6900 XT.

---Main Rig Build ---
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, CPU Cooler: NZXT X73 360, GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, MB: ASUS CH VIII Formula, RAM: 64GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3600, Storage:  2TB Adata M.2, 2TB WD SSD, 500GB WD SSD, Case:  Thermaltake ARGB View51
jaredbyoung
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 465
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/21 18:13:05 (permalink)
nightskycode
Most red lips are rev 0.1. If its a red lip rev 1. Then fine... But if its a red lip, 0.1 and it does not hit the advertised 500watt bios, which 90% of 0.1's wont, ill submit an RMA through OC3090's email at that point.

Yeah or you could just read the rev # off the PCB... That way you'll actually know the information instead of not knowing.
nightskycode
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/21 18:19:22 (permalink)
jaredbyoung
nightskycode

Yeah or you could just read the rev # off the PCB... That way you'll actually know the information instead of not knowing.

Yeah... That's how I know my black lip 3090 was a 0.1, it does not mean a 0.1 wont run the 500w bios.
chiukang
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/21 18:24:58 (permalink)
There is definitely a problem with 0.1 Revision card with New World

I fried my original Rev0.1 3090FTW3 after 2 hours on New World, did an advanced RMA and got sent another 0.1.

Booted up New World with 80% power limit, 60fps screen cap and in less than 2 minutes you can heard a loud coil whine (even sounds like arcing) then black screen + full speed fan. Luckily, I am able to boot and the card seems to have survived but I am not brave enough to boot New World once again.

I have contacted EVGA for a second RMA and they said they will send a 1.0 next time. I think they should just take the 0.1 Rev out of circulation as this is going to be an endless cycle as from the coil whine, I am sure there is a design flaw for the power delivery system.
Tonyd0821
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/21 18:33:45 (permalink)
Slowpoke here....is this issue just for 3090s?

I had an XC3 Ultra 3080 and New World ran fine (4k res and Ultra settings)—until I updated to Win 11. My FPS had dropped from 60 to low 20s.

Gave up on New World for a few days and came back and the issue somehow resolved itself.

I just sent in my XC3 Ultra for a FTW3 Ultra 3080 via Step Up...want to get back into New World but don't want to fry my new card.

nightskycode
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/21 19:06:00 (permalink)
chiukang
There is definitely a problem with 0.1 Revision card with New World

I fried my original Rev0.1 3090FTW3 after 2 hours on New World, did an advanced RMA and got sent another 0.1.

Booted up New World with 80% power limit, 60fps screen cap and in less than 2 minutes you can heard a loud coil whine (even sounds like arcing) then black screen + full speed fan. Luckily, I am able to boot and the card seems to have survived but I am not brave enough to boot New World once again.

I have contacted EVGA for a second RMA and they said they will send a 1.0 next time. I think they should just take the 0.1 Rev out of circulation as this is going to be an endless cycle as from the coil whine, I am sure there is a design flaw for the power delivery system.

I doubt they even look if you requested a rev 1. They grab the card on top and send it out.
ImStuck
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/21 20:49:06 (permalink)
I have a 3090 ftw3 ultra gaming that i have watercooled and have no clue what revision it is. Is there anyway to tell what it is without pulling all the blocks off. And since i dont have fans anymore what are the chances the gpu will still pop. All my friends are playing right now and i want to as well but i dont want to break my gpu.
nightskycode
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/22 00:17:28 (permalink)
Has anyone got a rev 1.0 after their RMA requesting in the RMA reason? I really don't think they read those or they either are pick and choose based on on well you begged for it lol. With what I do (Play all remasters and write low level 3D software) I get nothing but black screens even when undervolting. I tossed my friends 1.0 card in and I never got a black screen, we both paid the same, and I was so jealous I was able to use the card for more than 40 min (How upsetting is that). I have a feeling i'll be on 5 RMA's before they decide to send me one. I  the 120 bucks in shipping is just another added cost as well :(.
post edited by nightskycode - 2021/10/22 00:21:07
ZoranC
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1099
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/23 12:53:25 (permalink)
So what is the final word on what is causing this and permanent resolution? I know EVGA claimed bad soldering on batch of cards and is replacing those that died but aren't cards from other manufacturers dying too?
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 16552
  • Ribbons : 271
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/23 16:55:41 (permalink)
ZoranC
So what is the final word on what is causing this and permanent resolution? I know EVGA claimed bad soldering on batch of cards and is replacing those that died but aren't cards from other manufacturers dying too?

EVGA made a statement that the cards which failed, failed due to hardware defects. If EVGA could blame Amazon, they would have.

3090 FTW3s have been failing for nearly a near; with pretty much the exact same symptoms.  I have been saying for nearly 10 months that the cards have a problem.  The New World problem isn't very new.  Before New World cards had been failing in Halo MCC, WoW, in web browsers, or just while sitting idle.

The problem is that the cards are able to draw power spikes which exceed the VRM's capabilities.  The problem is that NVIDIA's half a dozen current sensors are too slow to detect those power spikes.  The problem is that low-demand games/loads have the card running at low power, and then all of the sudden a load hits it while the card is in performance mode, and the current spike makes it through before NVIDIA's driver/software/firmware drops the boost.  This is what causes the card to black screen and causes the fan to go to 100%.  The card black screens and the fans go to 100% because the VRM turn off due to overcurrent protection.  The VRM should never reach overcurrent protection if the NVIDIA driver/software/firmware was fast enough, but the driver/software/firmware isn't fast enough.  Cards with high factory power limit (3090 FTW3s for example) are more likely to black screen/100 % fan than cards with lower factory power limit.  Similarly, a 3090 FTW3 with the BIOS switch in XOC position is more likely to black screen/100% fan than a 3090 FTW3 with the BIOS switch in the Normal position.  When the card has an additional hardware defect (such as a soldering problem, VRM with manufacturing defects, or a card with bad power balancing causing some inputs to be under higher load and higher temperature for prolonged durations), the black screen/100% thing could manifest itself as a dead card after power is cycled.  This is because the overcurrent protection in the VRM wasn't fast enough to prevent the VRM from being damaged by one of the other existing defects/problems.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

ZoranC
FTW Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/23 18:18:29 (permalink)
ty_ger07

I’m no hardware engineer but I agree with you that when looking from outside in at big picture all the surface symptoms indicate:

1. New World has just created perfect storm making underlying issue in hardware’s design more visible (as there are reports of it happening with other software too).

2. That culprit is “sudden increase in workload results in rapid increase of power applied and onboard components are not preventing fast enough power from overshooting to the level it makes something pop and *poof* we have smoke / dead card”.

3. That culprit’s source might be going all the way back to Nvidia’s blueprints and not particular brand’s/model’s implementation of them (as issue has been reported with other ones too).

So are there any -final- words on what will be resolution, or did anybody at least say “Hey, all you Nvidia 30 series buyers out there, we are looking into this and we are on top of it regardless of which model/brand you bought, we will take care of it and you”? Or are they just sitting quiet about it?

I’m asking because I’m closely watching how Nvidia and its partners are handling this and what they (don’t) do will be driving my future buying decisions. I won’t have a problem, after many years of buying strictly Nvidia, switching to AMD if I end up concluding Nvidia has swept this under the rug.

Not because I haven’t heard of Radeons doing this but because customer service is huge decision driving factor with me. For example, hearing Gigabyte has been denying warranty requests to those that had their cards die in New World was enough for me to decide Gigabyte won’t be getting any of my business ever.
post edited by ZoranC - 2021/10/23 18:48:51
txfeinbergs
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 135
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/23 18:27:50 (permalink)
ty_ger07
ZoranC

EVGA made a statement that the cards which failed, failed due to hardware defects. If EVGA could blame Amazon, they would have.

3090 FTW3s have been failing for nearly a near; with pretty much the exact same symptoms.  I have been saying for nearly 10 months that the cards have a problem.  The New World problem isn't very new.  Before New World cards had been failing in Halo MCC, WoW, in web browsers, or just while sitting idle.

The problem is that the cards are able to draw power spikes which exceed the VRM's capabilities.  The problem is that NVIDIA's half a dozen current sensors are too slow to detect those power spikes.  The problem is that low-demand games/loads have the card running at low power, and then all of the sudden a load hits it while the card is in performance mode, and the current spike makes it through before NVIDIA's driver/software/firmware drops the boost.  This is what causes the card to black screen and causes the fan to go to 100%.  The card black screens and the fans go to 100% because the VRM turn off due to overcurrent protection.  The VRM should never reach overcurrent protection if the NVIDIA driver/software/firmware was fast enough, but the driver/software/firmware isn't fast enough.  Cards with high factory power limit (3090 FTW3s for example) are more likely to black screen/100 % fan than cards with lower factory power limit.  Similarly, a 3090 FTW3 with the BIOS switch in XOC position is more likely to black screen/100% fan than a 3090 FTW3 with the BIOS switch in the Normal position.  When the card has an additional hardware defect (such as a soldering problem, VRM with manufacturing defects, or a card with bad power balancing causing some inputs to be under higher load and higher temperature for prolonged durations), the black screen/100% thing could manifest itself as a dead card after power is cycled.  This is because the overcurrent protection in the VRM wasn't fast enough to prevent the VRM from being damaged by one of the other existing defects/problems.

Very nicely summarized and I believe you are spot on.
ZoranC
FTW Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/24 16:36:26 (permalink)
For those that are capable of digesting it here is another video on the topic More SPECULATIVE rambling about the RTX 3090/3080 New World failures. - YouTube

I wish though buildzoid also published TL;DW ("too long; didn't watch"  aka "Cliff's Notes") versions of his videos that can be digested by the rest of us.

SyncFx
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/24 16:49:04 (permalink)
ZoranC
For those that are capable of digesting it here is another video on the topic More SPECULATIVE rambling about the RTX 3090/3080 New World failures. - YouTube

I wish though buildzoid also published TL;DW ("too long; didn't watch"  aka "Cliff's Notes") versions of his videos that can be digested by the rest of us.

Thanks, I'll watch this when I'm home tonight
LegallyBlind85
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/24 17:10:07 (permalink)
I got the 1.0 after my first 3090 ftw3 bow up.... few mins ago my rma card died( i got it 2 months ago)
This time i was playing warzone ...my game start feeling like it was 60frames .. 1 min later my monitor got blue screen.... and stayed like that.... hard reset.... now my asus motherboard white led is on (vga error) no display.... switch to motherboard DP. All good..... my 3090 is not recognized anymore.... gg. ****ing b.s. that what it it ( i had 180h New World)
nightskycode
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/24 18:10:56 (permalink)
LegallyBlind85
I got the 1.0 after my first 3090 ftw3 bow up.... few mins ago my rma card died( i got it 2 months ago)
This time i was playing warzone ...my game start feeling like it was 60frames .. 1 min later my monitor got blue screen.... and stayed like that.... hard reset.... now my asus motherboard white led is on (vga error) no display.... switch to motherboard DP. All good..... my 3090 is not recognized anymore.... gg. ****ing b.s. that what it it ( i had 180h New World)

RMA it again... EVGA has 3 years. Take advantage of their good customer service. Or... sell your next RMA and gran a 3060ti, I hear they are reliable and just wait for the 4000s. The 3090 is solid, though I just sent in for my first RMA, and it look as through the replacement product number is a ver 1! Which... I do plan on undervolting and power limiting when playing low games that get above my monitors refreshrates. For the 3090 to last years, I would honestly make a profile for each game where you adjust power limit, voltage and clocks to the lowest you can go. That's the plan for when my RMA gets here.

btw, do they require a signature? and should I ddu going from rev 0.1 to 1?
xorxhs
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 106
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/24 18:57:15 (permalink)
nightskycode
LegallyBlind85

RMA it again... EVGA has 3 years. Take advantage of their good customer service. Or... sell your next RMA and gran a 3060ti, I hear they are reliable and just wait for the 4000s. The 3090 is solid, though I just sent in for my first RMA, and it look as through the replacement product number is a ver 1! Which... I do plan on undervolting and power limiting when playing low games that get above my monitors refreshrates. For the 3090 to last years, I would honestly make a profile for each game where you adjust power limit, voltage and clocks to the lowest you can go. That's the plan for when my RMA gets here.

btw, do they require a signature? and should I ddu going from rev 0.1 to 1?

any news when 4000s coming?
flg2010
iCX Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/24 19:59:03 (permalink)

Looking at all the people having issues is very discouraging.

4000 series?  I doubt I will be buying one.  EVGA sent me another .1 card to replace the one that was crashing after a few hours of playing any game or even using zoom.  Hard video crash, buzzing sound, black screens sulfur smell, fans going nuts.  I really wanted a founders edition 3090 for stability.  I went EVGA because of the queue system/availability and the instability issues are not excusable.

This replacement refurbished card doesn't crash (yet) but performs slightly worse on benchmarks and in games.

My thoughts on this issue with the 3090 EVGA FTW3 Ultras:  

The only thing keeping me from selling mine is that I wanted a NVIDIA GPU for my primary rig and I will not get enough from a sale to cover the coast of another brand's 3090.  People won't buy a known refurb for the $$$ I need to buy a new other brand 3090.  At best I will end up with a 6900 XT, already have one of those in my second system.  I also don't like the idea of passing the problems on to a buyer, even with a transferable (to an extent) warranty.

No, this is going to be a long road for some of us that won't get v1.0 replacements.  I will have to own this mistake.  Sadly...  $2k card that I have 0 confidence in.  That's insane.  Never again EVGA...  My second rig is not as fast.. but that Asrock 6900 XT Phantom Gaming OC (not even the highest level Asrock 6900 XT) is stable, no crashing.  Just wish it performed as well as the 3090..

I guess I ride this out.  This is my last cross ship though.  Next time I just will have the rig down for 3 weeks while I wait.  Next generation of GPUs I will skip EVGA and NVIDIA.

---Main Rig Build ---
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, CPU Cooler: NZXT X73 360, GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, MB: ASUS CH VIII Formula, RAM: 64GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3600, Storage:  2TB Adata M.2, 2TB WD SSD, 500GB WD SSD, Case:  Thermaltake ARGB View51
z1nonly
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 244
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 04:40:56 (permalink)
LegallyBlind85

So you had a 0.1 and a 1.0 die? I thoug hgt t the 1.0's were the "fix" for these issues?
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 16552
  • Ribbons : 271
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 04:51:50 (permalink)
z1nonly
I thoug hgt t the 1.0's were the "fix" for these issues?

I don't think anyone said that a rev 1.0 is the fix. Just better and less likely to have issues compared to the rev 0.1.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2409
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 07:11:26 (permalink)
ty_ger07
z1nonly

I don't think anyone said that a rev 1.0 is the fix. Just better and less likely to have issues compared to the rev 0.1.

I'd love to see some really good board pictures of a 1.0 so I can see some of the changes they made. I'd also love to see a BuildZoid video where he covers the differences. I know the 3080ti got new VRMs, so I'm betting the v1.0 3090 did too. They definitely seem better, but I think there's still always going to be some percentage of cards that fail. You can say that for any card really, but it was definitely way too many of the 0.1's. 

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
flg2010
iCX Member
Re: EVGA 3090 owners - do NOT play New World game right now as it might kill the card 2021/10/25 09:30:24 (permalink)
B0baganoosh
ty_ger07
z1nonly

I'd love to see some really good board pictures of a 1.0 so I can see some of the changes they made. I'd also love to see a BuildZoid video where he covers the differences. I know the 3080ti got new VRMs, so I'm betting the v1.0 3090 did too. They definitely seem better, but I think there's still always going to be some percentage of cards that fail. You can say that for any card really, but it was definitely way too many of the 0.1's. 

Yeah I agree.  Would satisfy my curiosity.  That said, there should have been a recall and the cards just replaced with v1.0 cards.  Because this did not happen I will likely be going back to ASUS for everything....  What would change my mind?

Never having refurbished RMA replacement cause an issue during the next 4 years of warranty.  We all know that's likely a pipe dream.

---Main Rig Build ---
Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 44 of 46
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile