EVGA

3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
CircleW
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2022/01/30 14:57:46 (permalink)
Stephenk291
welp looks like I've found the thread that addresses my problem and there appears to be no further update. 3rd fan crazy high RPM, and setting it to auto doesn't help.  Dropped 1400+ on a 3080ti and then another $120 on the cooler. Would be nice to see what EVGA has to say here. 

I have the same problem with the 3090 FTW3. When running a game, and the temps eventually reaches 83C, and all three fans run at around 2000 rpm to cool it, which is normal. But then after a while, fans 1 and 2 just stop and fan 3 kicks upto 3000 rpm. And it doesn't stop until I close the game. I have noticed this with NFS Heat and I think Forza Horizon 5 or Red Dead 2. Tried DDU, reinstalled drivers, updated drivers, did the bios update. I'm not sure if this is relating to ambient temps being high.
lol133736
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2022/01/31 02:18:30 (permalink)
do you mean they are not working at all times?
CircleW
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2022/01/31 09:04:22 (permalink)
T
lol133736
do you mean they are not working at all times?

The fans are off when idling because of 0 rpm mode. But when there's continuous load on the gpu like gaming, eventually the heat reaches around the 83C. After some time, Fans 1 and 2 show 0 rpm in Precision and Fan 3 goes upto 3000 rpm. And I can hear it as well. I think it also relates to high ambient temps, but unsure.
Detterence
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2022/02/03 13:25:00 (permalink)
I'm getting issues with my fans also, check the pictures below.

First pic I have all default settings and I'm getting the hottest temps around 83-84 degrees. Fan #1 and Fan #2 seem linked due to the percentage matching, but the RPM's are way off. 

Second pic is with aggressive fan curve on, and fan control linked for all but you only see Fan #1 and Fan #3 working meanwhile Fan #2 is low RPM or 0 RPM at 81% (weird)

Third picture is the tacho RPM for all 3 fans, Fan #2 is spiking in the low RPM's or even 0 at some points when I changed settings from Default settings to Manual Aggressive Curve on with fan control linked for all fans.

I am pretty sure that I saw a firmware prompt when updating PX1 to the latest version of 1.3.0.0, but don't recall 100%. All my fans were working just fine a few weeks ago to my manual fan curve control, but I just noticed this yesterday.

Card is clean, nothing stuck on it. I've reseated the card multiple times, checked the PSU wires to make sure they click in good. Made sure the GPU fan cables are on correctly and that they click into their pin slots. No noises coming from fans.
ZoranC
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1099
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2022/02/03 13:35:50 (permalink)
Detterence
I'm getting issues with my fans also, check the pictures below.
Card is clean, nothing stuck on it. I've reseated the card multiple times, checked the PSU wires to make sure they click in good. Made sure the GPU fan cables are on correctly and that they click into their pin slots. No noises coming from fans.

I believe anyone who is having issue with odd fan behaviors on EVGA cards is chasing their tail as there is nothing that they personally can do. Just look at threads that have been documenting odd fan behaviors on 20 series cards (including mine) and I believe you will see lots of similarities. That, I believe indicates:

a) Issue sits squarely in EVGA's lap, and

b) It is very likely EVGA won't -EVER- do anything about it as it hasn't been, to my knowledge, ever resolved on 20 series cards and it has been going on on 30 series cards too for quite a while now.
post edited by ZoranC - 2022/02/03 14:32:28
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21180
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2022/02/03 14:41:23 (permalink)
ZoranC
I believe anyone who is having issue with odd fan behaviors on EVGA cards is chasing their tail as there is nothing that they personally can do. Just look at threads that have been documenting odd fan behaviors on 20 series cards (including mine) and I believe you will see lots of similarities. That, I believe indicates:

b) It is very likely EVGA won't -EVER- do anything about it as it hasn't been, to my knowledge, ever resolved on 20 series cards and it has been going on on 30 series cards too for quite a while now.

Agreed, 100%.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

ZoranC
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1099
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2022/02/03 15:03:44 (permalink)
ty_ger07
ZoranC

Agreed, 100%.

Well, I will correct myself: There -IS- one thing that owners of EVGA cards with misbehaving fans can do that would fix this: Next time we get video card it is from a brand that doesn't have such issues. If enough of us does that then -maybe- EVGA will get their act together and finally fix it.
parawizard
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2022/02/04 19:14:06 (permalink)
This has been driving me nuts. Unacceptable fan behaviour and should be fixed.

I don't like running control software but I have to to fix the fans on this card. This is my current solution:

Observations:

Fan controllers spin fans up quickly with a burst and then slows them down.
Like others have communicated in the threads I listed in my previous reply, fan 3 behaves differently than fan 1 and 2.
Fan 1 starts and stops up to about 12% then seems to be able to sustain a smooth rotation around 340 RPM
Fan 2 starts and stops up to about 14% then seems to be able to sustain a smooth rotation around 428 RPM
Fan 3 starts and stops up to about 12% where it starts continuously pulsing and ticking around 432 RPM
Fan 3 continues to pulse (~1 pulse per second) until 32% then seems to be able to sustain a smooth rotation around 952 RPM
Running the fan at a higher RPM then moving it lower you can achieve a slower constant RPM
All fans make a tick/click sound when speeds change dramatically suddenly. I think on the deceleration.

What I desire:
Would like to see the fan controller start up the fan and run it longer before throttling down to the set speed which would allow lower RPMs
Would like to see fans not cycle on and off, stay off at healthy temperatures or prefer to run at their lowest possible constant RPM
Would like to see pulsing and odd behaviour of fan 3 go away above 12% and be able to run the fan without it below 30%
Would like this to happen without having to install Precision X1 and have it load on startup

NOTE: Can't insert an image in firefox. Get a 5XX error and then it puts a text blob in my post.
post edited by parawizard - 2022/02/09 18:40:01
Button Bright
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2022/02/20 16:36:09 (permalink)
parawizard

Observations:

Fan controllers spin fans up quickly with a burst and then slows them down.
Like others have communicated in the threads I listed in my previous reply, fan 3 behaves differently than fan 1 and 2.
Fan 1 starts and stops up to about 12% then seems to be able to sustain a smooth rotation around 340 RPM
Fan 2 starts and stops up to about 14% then seems to be able to sustain a smooth rotation around 428 RPM
Fan 3 starts and stops up to about 12% where it starts continuously pulsing and ticking around 432 RPM
Fan 3 continues to pulse (~1 pulse per second) until 32% then seems to be able to sustain a smooth rotation around 952 RPM
Running the fan at a higher RPM then moving it lower you can achieve a slower constant RPM
All fans make a tick/click sound when speeds change dramatically suddenly. I think on the deceleration.

What I desire:
Would like to see the fan controller start up the fan and run it longer before throttling down to the set speed which would allow lower RPMs
Would like to see fans not cycle on and off, stay off at healthy temperatures or prefer to run at their lowest possible constant RPM
Would like to see pulsing and odd behaviour of fan 3 go away above 12% and be able to run the fan without it below 30%
Would like this to happen without having to install Precision X1 and have it load on startup

NOTE: Can't insert an image in firefox. Get a 5XX error and then it puts a text blob in my post.

I had similar issues. I resolved them by installing the bios for the Hybrid cooler, then flashing back to stock bios. Simply updating to newest bios did not resolve the issue.

Good luck
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile