EVGA

3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
kurtdh
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/08/15 23:37:08 (permalink)
3080 Ti FTW3

When I'm playing a game, and Precision X1 fans are set to auto, my 3rd fan constantly fluctuates up and down. I can clearly hear it, which is how I came across this problem. If I manually set the 3rd fan to a certain percentage, it will stop fluctuating. It only happens in auto mode. I did update the firmware of the card when I first opened Precision X1, and I did a fresh DDU install of nvidia drivers. I also updated the vbios via the Re-BAR screen, and that didn't help either.  I asked a user in the TEAMEVGA discord channel to see if he has the same issue, and he has the exact same issue on his 3080 Ti FTW3, so I'm thinking this could be a firmware bug? How do I go about reporting a firmware bug? See attached screenshot of fan 3 fluctuating in auto mode while I'm gaming (autofans.png)

See screenshot of fan 3 not fluctuating when it's manually set to 14% (fanssetto14.png)

post edited by kurtdh - 2021/08/16 13:59:09

Attached Image(s)

68 Replies Related Threads

EVGATech_DanielM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1132
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/08/16 14:09:26 (permalink)
    Thanks for speaking with me. Have a good rest of your evening if anything changes we will keep you updated. 
    kurtdh
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/08/16 14:21:42 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DanielM
    Thanks for speaking with me. Have a good rest of your evening if anything changes we will keep you updated. 

Thanks for the assistance. I tried the OC bios, as you recommended, and it did not fix the issue. As you stated, the MCU controls the 3rd fan, and it's likely a firmware issue with the MCU. If your team has a list of bugs that needs fixing, please add this to the list. I understand it's probably not your priority right now (since it doesn't affect performance, only possibly longevity of the card/fan), but hopefully somewhere down the line when your team is less busy, they can put some time into fixing the firmware bug.
    sotakuma
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/08/16 17:07:18 (permalink)
    kurtdh
    EVGATech_DanielM

Thanks for the assistance. I tried the OC bios, as you recommended, and it did not fix the issue. As you stated, the MCU controls the 3rd fan, and it's likely a firmware issue with the MCU. If your team has a list of bugs that needs fixing, please add this to the list. I understand it's probably not your priority right now (since it doesn't affect performance, only possibly longevity of the card/fan), but hopefully somewhere down the line when your team is less busy, they can put some time into fixing the firmware bug.

I'm kinda on the same boat as you. My RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra is not working properly, after the last update the RGB lights and the 3rd fan are not responing. I'm also convinced that it's an MCU firmware bug. Did you find a way to fix this problem?
    post edited by sotakuma - 2021/08/16 17:08:24
    kurtdh
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/08/16 20:59:50 (permalink)
    sotakuma
    kurtdh
    EVGATech_DanielM

I'm kinda on the same boat as you. My RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra is not working properly, after the last update the RGB lights and the 3rd fan are not responing. I'm also convinced that it's an MCU firmware bug. Did you find a way to fix this problem?

Nope. Support said the 3rd fan is controlled by the MCU, and it's probably a firmware bug, but they have a lot more important things on their plate so it's probably not a huge priority. If you can't control the 3rd fan at all, that sounds more like an actual hardware issue than the firmware issue I'm experiencing, so you can probably get an RMA and be just fine. My issue however, would not be fixed by an RMA..
    post edited by kurtdh - 2021/08/16 21:01:38
    Endworld
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 148
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/08/16 21:27:13 (permalink)
    I've had my 3080 since release almost a year ago, and I've never encountered an issue with the 3rd fan myself.
    kurtdh
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/08/16 21:30:51 (permalink)
    Endworld
    I've had my 3080 since release almost a year ago, and I've never encountered an issue with the 3rd fan myself.

Well the thing is, most people probably have no idea this is an issue on their cards, because the noise is either too quiet for them to hear, or they aren't actively monitoring their FAN RPM's while they are using a fan curve and gaming at the same time.

If you've tested this yourself and can use Precision hardware monitor to monitor the 3rd fan's RPM's while gaming and while the fans are set to auto, some screenshots and more details of your setup could prove useful in narrowing this issue for the EVGA team and making it easier to fix.
    jsteven212
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/08/17 18:01:22 (permalink)
    I have the same problem withe the third fan on my 3080 Ti FTW3.
    First two fans run smoothly all the time. Third fan stutters and makes a constant clicking sound (very similar to a failing hard drive) at low speeds.
    It seems to click every time it starts up (stutters).
    Does yours also make a clicking sound? Another user created a post with similar issue a few hours ago.
    I'm also hoping it's not a defect that requires rma and looking for a fix.
    My current temporary solution is to use Afterburner to override the fan controls, and keep the fan on at all times.
    This seems to prevent the fan from turning on and off and making the clicking noise.
    GTXMan
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 228
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/08/17 19:30:48 (permalink)
    Do you have any other OC software installed?

Current rig: DCS4VR 3.0
    Thermaltake Core P5 || 7700k + Aquacomputer Kuplex Cryos NEXT w/ VISION || EVGA XC Gaming 2080Ti + EK Vector block/backplate || G-Skill Trident Z 32GBs DDR4-4000 || ASUS Maximus IX Code || LG 38GL950G-B|| Logitech G900 || Sony WH1000-XM4 || VIVE Pro
    Arkanion
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/08/18 02:06:50 (permalink)
    jsteven212
    First two fans run smoothly all the time. Third fan stutters and makes a constant clicking sound (very similar to a failing hard drive) at low speeds.
    Does yours also make a clicking sound? Another user created a post with similar issue a few hours ago.
    My current temporary solution is to use Afterburner to override the fan controls, and keep the fan on at all times.
    This seems to prevent the fan from turning on and off and making the clicking noise.

I have a similiar issue with my 3080 Ti FTW3, which i could swear was not present for the first 2-3 weeks, i've noticed it since end of last week.
    I've switched to the OC BIOS to avoid this issue, as it seems to be related to the idle fan-stop, which gets disabled by the OC BIOS.
    According to my research there are no other differences between the BIOS for the 3080Ti FTW3 and i can't use Windows-Software for this because i need it to work in RHEL(inux) too, so this is a better suited band-aid fix for me.

Currently im hesitating to RMA because i plan to watercool it in the coming weeks anyhow and still need this PC for work on a daily basis (I don't have my old GPU anymore).
    But still i really want to know if this is a widespread issue and could maybe cause some additional problems even with the cooler changed (because then i definitely need to RMA :P)
    post edited by Arkanion - 2021/08/18 02:12:01
    jonhsykes
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/08/18 07:26:34 (permalink)
    jsteven212

I have noticed this issue too since changing over to the OC BIOS. I'm going to switch back to norm and see if it persists. Running latest firmware and 94.02.71.80.89 vbios for 12G-P5-3967-KR

mnelson260z
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/08/18 08:36:26 (permalink)
    Mine does the clicking etc as well whenever the fan is stop / starting constantly during low load or a non-constant load like editing.  Quite annoying.
    jsteven212
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/08/18 15:32:23 (permalink)
    Arkanion

I have a similiar issue with my 3080 Ti FTW3, which i could swear was not present for the first 2-3 weeks, i've noticed it since end of last week.
    I've switched to the OC BIOS to avoid this issue, as it seems to be related to the idle fan-stop, which gets disabled by the OC BIOS.
    According to my research there are no other differences between the BIOS for the 3080Ti FTW3 and i can't use Windows-Software for this because i need it to work in RHEL(inux) too, so this is a better suited band-aid fix for me.

Currently im hesitating to RMA because i plan to watercool it in the coming weeks anyhow and still need this PC for work on a daily basis (I don't have my old GPU anymore).
    But still i really want to know if this is a widespread issue and could maybe cause some additional problems even with the cooler changed (because then i definitely need to RMA :P)

Yeah, there's no point in a RMA if it's a firmware bug, as the original poster believes it is, and as it looks like from everyone here having the same issue. We can only hope that EVGA resolves the issue in an update asap, or ebay it and get something other.
    chgorsan
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/08/20 19:08:43 (permalink)
    I got a 3080ti today from BestBuy and also does this clicking sound at low RPMs after starting from idle. I don’t remember the cooler on my 3080 FTW3 Ultra doing this, I guess I am going to have to plug it in to find out.
    brandonb21
    • Total Posts : 95
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/08/26 12:04:54 (permalink)
    i have same issue as well 3080 ti here

https://www.youtube.com/w...;ab_channel=brandonb56
    post edited by brandonb21 - 2021/08/26 12:06:30
    tacowrap
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/09/04 04:10:17 (permalink)
    Any update on this issue my card is having a similar issue when the fan goes from idle to low rpms it makes a clicking/grinding noise but when i manually set the rpm high and then back down to low rpm no noise what so ever, only on fan 3 is the noise occurring

llerma
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/09/04 17:49:41 (permalink)

i have the same  problem. 3ºfan <40 clic clic cli ....
    rckrz6
    • Total Posts : 82
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/09/06 17:15:00 (permalink)
    i have same issue with fan 3, clicks at low speeds and sometimes doesn't go back to idle, will click over and over again 50-300 rpm

sound like needs a firmware update
    post edited by rckrz6 - 2021/09/06 17:22:51
    Kosut4
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/09/10 18:03:15 (permalink)
    Hello. I have a 3070 ti FTW3 Ultra with the same issue.

I used precision X1 and set the fan curve for all 3 to 20% untill 45 degrees , then ramp up exponentially.

i did a test and restarted my pc to see if the third fan started clicking, it didnt. Great i tought.

But if i shutdown my pc and wait a bit before turning it on as as soon as x1 starts the clicking noise comes back. Tic and reving sound in a constant loop.

I have to move the curve of fan 3 above 35% speed and leave it a few seconds then i can bring it back again to any number i want 20%, 10, 15, doesnt mattter the clicking stops.
    But having to do this everytime i start my pc is...forget it.

So what i did was to forget x1 and set the curves in MSI afterbutner using the "firmware control mode" option.

I set all fans to a constant 20% up untill 45 degrees. See attached pic.

Afterburner only shows 2 fans but it controls all 3.

I had to leave my house and when i came back hours later i started my pc and...no clicking noise.

I opened X1 just to check if all 3 fans were really working at 20% and they did.

Hope this was not a fluke, will see tomorrow when i start my pc again.
    post edited by Kosut4 - 2021/09/10 18:08:17

Attached Image(s)

jsteven212
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/09/10 23:05:03 (permalink)
    Kosut4
    Hope this was not a fluke, will see tomorrow when i start my pc again.

You need to set your fan curve to something like this:
    That is, if you're having the same problem that we 3080ti ftw3 users are having with fan #3.
    In this case, it seems like the fan actually can not run smoothly under 40%; What it does is throttle on and off at a higher speed, and this is what is causing the clicking. It clicks every time it starts up, at any speed setting, always.
    So, what you have set with your fan curve being at 20% didn't work for me. I've tried various fan curve settings including something similar, and the only cuve I've gotten to minimize the clicking (for the past few weeks now) is the curve setting I have now, which is to keep it always above 40%. Luckily the fan is quite inaudible, comparable to my case fan at idle and mid temps.

post edited by jsteven212 - 2021/09/10 23:08:50
    trek554
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 812
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/09/11 00:55:13 (permalink)
    why does EVGA have so much trouble with the simplest of things? how in the hell does a company make as many cards as they make for all these years and cant even figure out how to make the damn fans work correctly?  

Win 10 Pro | i9 9900KF | MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC | FE RTX 3070 | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200 CL14 | Samsung Evo 860 4TB SSD | Phanteks P500A | Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000| Sound Blaster Zx
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/09/11 03:28:09 (permalink)
    trek554
    why does EVGA have so much trouble with the simplest of things? how in the hell does a company make as many cards as they make for all these years and cant even figure out how to make the damn fans work correctly?  

It's wild, huh?
    Similarly how did they make the aux fan completely broken? The PWM standard is so simple, it's mindblowing.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Kosut4
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/09/11 05:12:38 (permalink)
    Yes, i know that setting up 40% speed clears the issue, in my case its even lower around 30%.
    The thing is that my room is very quiet during the night and 40% speed is very loud at that time.
    Yesterday after watching netflix for a couple hours i noticed the clicking was at it again. I think the temps must have have been fluctuating in the 45 degrees threshold.
    i will set my curve to 20% until 50 degrees and then jump straight (vertically) to 40% to see if it helps. If not...then 30% instead of 20%.
    X1 seems broken regarding curve setting, I´ll keep using msi afterburner. Already using it to undervolt the card.
    I restarted my pc again this morning (i live in europe) and i have no fan clicking again so for now setting this curve in msi afterburner seems to have solved my clicking fan on startup issue for now.
    I could also just not use curves at all and leave the fans at default but the idle temp can reach up to 50 degrees with fans off and as soon as i start browsing youtube or netflix the clicking starts but fluctuating.

But this is clearly a  solvable firmware or bios issue.
    post edited by Kosut4 - 2021/09/11 05:17:11
    jsteven212
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/09/11 12:22:31 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Similarly how did they make the aux fan completely broken? The PWM standard is so simple, it's mindblowing.

And the fact that they've had several months to fix such a seemingly simple and obvious problem, makes you also wonder if it's incompetence or more serious.

Kosut4
    I restarted my pc again this morning (i live in europe) and i have no fan clicking again so for now setting this curve in msi afterburner seems to have solved my clicking fan on startup issue for now.
    I could also just not use curves at all and leave the fans at default but the idle temp can reach up to 50 degrees with fans off and as soon as i start browsing youtube or netflix the clicking starts but fluctuating.

That's not unusual if the temperature is low (since you just booted up,) because the fan hasn't started up.
    Also, I believe the fan clicks with the default curve which is actually set to start at 40% at 30 degrees, and why I had to raise it above 40% to 45%. When I lower the fan curve back down to 40%, it immediately clicks again. So, actually I should correct myself and say that I have to set it above 40%
    Kosut4
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/09/11 12:54:33 (permalink)
    Yes, with the default fan behavior (normal OC) i had the clicking starting around those temperatures.
    No clicking sounds all day since i started to use this curve.
    No chance for fan 3 to oscillate speeds between 0 and 40%. The Firmware option really helped me.

Attached Image(s)

jsteven212
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/09/11 14:41:12 (permalink)
    Kosut4
    No chance for fan 3 to oscillate speeds between 0 and 40%. The Firmware option really helped me.

I was hoping for something similar, but since I do 3d work and there is a lot of fluctuation in activity and demand on the GPU, the fan is constantly throttling to keep temps, going on(click) and off every few minutes or seconds (when I'm trying to focus) unlike gaming or other media where it's active or inactive for entire periods. So, I guess depending on your use case, either might suite you better.

Also, undervolting/overclocking makes a huge difference.
    So, anyone reading this, unless you want that extra space heater, you'll save a bit of money, put less strain on the PSU, and your computer wont sound like a vacuum cleaner whenever you load up a game if you undervolt and over clock your card.
    It should have minimal affect on performance or might even boost it if you do it right.
    Kosut4
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/09/11 15:41:24 (permalink)
    Thats a bummer.
    I´m also a 3d artist, tough i didnt notice the clicking at the time i will pay attention next time i´m working.
    Regarding undervolting i used these settings, runs smooth, minimal performance loss, the card by default was reaching 1985Ghz but drawing 260W.

Now at a steady 1965Ghz at a peak at 0,875V (875mv) drawing between 150/180W with the ocasional peak of 200W.
    Nice temps during gaming, fans barely go upwards of 64%, no staggering during gaming.
    Game Quality is set to Ultra High.
    post edited by Kosut4 - 2021/09/11 17:00:25

Attached Image(s)

jsteven212
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/09/11 18:03:29 (permalink)
    My voltage/frequency curve is very similar except I start with a lower core clock speed. I think most people will set something similar if they go off youtube videos to start with. I havent cared enough to fine tune it with benchmarks, but it's run stable and noticably cooler so I'm happy about that.

Kosut4
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/09/11 18:17:22 (permalink)
    Nice, i also followed a tutorial on YouTube and didnt bother much with benchmarking.
    I did ran 3dmark Time Spy just to make sure it was stable.
    By the way, still no clicking sound, fans now running at a near silent 20% 😁
    jsteven212
    Re: 3rd fan RPM's fluctuate when fans are set to auto, firmware bug? 2021/09/12 00:08:16 (permalink)
    I noticed these fan threads are popping up for 3080, 3070, 3060 users every day now
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile