EVGA

Helpful Reply3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap?

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 17 of 29
Author
ObscureEmpyre
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 972
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 14:06:59 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
atfrico
@ gsrcrxsi,

Is the beta bios secretive? Can it be shared/ posted?

I asked gsrcrxsi not to share the BIOS only because it's still beta, and I'm not sure that it's particularly effective at this stage. 

Currently, I only have a BIOS for 3955 (XC3 ULTRA) and 3955 (XC3 HC).  I'd rather wait until a few people with these cards see if it makes any improvement before people start spreading it around.  Nothing more than that.

It’s nice to see the techs are involved. Thanks for trying to troubleshoot the matter.

Tricerakash
  • Total Posts : 35
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 14:09:10 (permalink)
Well what do you need from people with those cards?
EVGA_Lee
  • Total Posts : 4247
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 14:13:03 (permalink)
Tricerakash

Sent you the HC BIOS.  Test it with benchmarks or games, see if there's a difference.  As noted, I haven't seen much improvement with this BIOS, but let us know what you see.
gsrcrxsi
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 985
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 14:19:20 (permalink)
here is a collection of logs and data from various tests with the beta BIOS.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SlMgjxwqn0fsVFVJdDjuYHzoPbNvAyQP/view?usp=sharing

yes, I maxed out the power slider to 105% in PX1.

included info is:
  1. screen shot running FurMark @1440p 0xMSAA (because it has very high mem controller load ~60%) only pulling ~300W, which is about what I experienced before
  2. screen shot running MSI Kombustor @1440p showing ~330W power draw
  3. text file with URLs to Time Spy and Port Royal run compares ([original BIOS]/[new BIOS +125/+0]/[new BIOS +125/+1000]). the point of showing two runs with different memclock offsets is to show the negative effect on core clock speed, just from increasing mem clock, all while still below power limits.
  4. GPUz log reports for each new BIOS run on timespy and port royal. so you can see power draw second by second and compare to other parameters at the same time (GPUz screenshots are pointless most of the time since you cant easily see what's happening and low graph resolution)
  5. text log file of GPU parameters (1 second telemetry) from nvidia-smi while running my Einstein@home application under Linux (Ubuntu 20.04.2, 470 nvidia drivers). this application exhibits the worst behavior. highest memory load ~85%, lowest core clocks, and lowest observed power draw.

The included BIOS file is NOT the beta BIOS, it's just the backup that I dumped from GPUz prior to flashing just as a precaution. So don't bother flashing it. I didn't intend to leave this in there, I just archived my whole testing folder and left it in by mistake lol.

compare links:
https://www.3dmark.com/compare/pr/1128278/pr/1148554/pr/1148574

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/21525507/spy/21819697/spy/21819943

Rig1: EPYC 7V12 | [4] RTX A4000
Rig2: EPYC 7B12 | [5] 3080Ti + [2] 2080Ti
Rig3: EPYC 7B12 | [6] 3070Ti + [2] 3060
Rig4: [2] EPYC 7742 | RTX A2000
Rig5: [2] EPYC 7642
Rig6: EPYC 7551 | [4] Titan V

KingEngineRevUp
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1030
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 14:23:09 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
Tricerakash

Sent you the HC BIOS.  Test it with benchmarks or games, see if there's a difference.  As noted, I haven't seen much improvement with this BIOS, but let us know what you see.

Hello LeeM, what abotu FTW3 users who see their cards hitting a hard stop at 400W and clocks and voltages drop? 

https://forums.evga.com/People-that-got-their-3080tiNeed-Data-for-Powerdraw-Between-3-Power-connectorsIMPORTANT-m3381956-p7.aspx

Tricerakash
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 14:23:40 (permalink)
Thanks, ill send you some info later when I have a chance
EVGA_Lee
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 14:24:42 (permalink)
KingEngineRevUp
EVGATech_LeeM
Tricerakash

Hello LeeM, what abotu FTW3 users who see their cards hitting a hard stop at 400W and clocks and voltages drop? 

https://forums.evga.com/People-that-got-their-3080tiNeed-Data-for-Powerdraw-Between-3-Power-connectorsIMPORTANT-m3381956-p7.aspx

To be honest, I haven't followed this one at all.  I'll try to take a look this week or early next week.
KingEngineRevUp
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1030
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 14:29:08 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
KingEngineRevUp
EVGATech_LeeM
Tricerakash

To be honest, I haven't followed this one at all.  I'll try to take a look this week or early next week.

Okay thank you. 

Long story short, the FTW3 will throttle clocks and voltages at 400W, it does not approach the given 450W Max TDP when you slide the slider to the max. Sometimes it will go up to 415-425W for a brief second, but then voltage and clocks drop and it'll be back at 400W again. 
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12753
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 14:38:05 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
atfrico
@ gsrcrxsi,

Is the beta bios secretive? Can it be shared/ posted?

I asked gsrcrxsi not to share the BIOS only because it's still beta, and I'm not sure that it's particularly effective at this stage. 

Currently, I only have a BIOS for 3955 (XC3 ULTRA) and 3955 (XC3 HC).  I'd rather wait until a few people with these cards see if it makes any improvement before people start spreading it around.  Nothing more than that.

Hi EVGATech_LeeM,

Ty for answering. It is appreciated that you took your time to respond but can you provide the same bios to Kram? It will be helpful to see if he sees any improvement.
His GPU definitely needs some improvement compare to gsrcrxsi

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
EVGA_Lee
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 14:39:41 (permalink)
atfrico
Hi EVGATech_LeeM,

Ty for answering. It is appreciated that you took your time to respond but can you provide the same bios to Kram? It will be helpful to see if he sees any improvement.

Kram reached out to me, and I provided him the BIOS already.
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 14:49:12 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
atfrico
Hi EVGATech_LeeM,

😯. Thank you for the prompt reply EVGATech_LeeM😎👍
It is good to know that EVGA is working on the issue or should I say EVGATech_LeeM is working on it🤔
post edited by atfrico - 2021/07/29 14:50:41

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Xal3R
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 15:23:05 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
atfrico
Hi EVGATech_LeeM,

Can I have it? Although my limit may not be that bad (HWinfo shows peaking 360W with 105%), I'd be still curious to see if there are any improvements. I can't seem to post links yet, the best I could get in Time Spy - if it works htt ps://www.3d mark.com/spy/21818718 - Graphics Score 20 153
I am up for anything to improve (sadly XC3 card was the only available one in EU that I could find...).
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 15:29:29 (permalink)
Xal3R
EVGATech_LeeM
atfrico
Hi EVGATech_LeeM,

Can I have it? Although my limit may not be that bad (HWinfo shows peaking 360W with 105%), I'd be still curious to see if there are any improvements. I can't seem to post links yet, the best I could get in Time Spy - if it works htt ps://www.3d mark.com/spy/21818718 - Graphics Score 20 153
I am up for anything to improve (sadly XC3 card was the only available one in EU that I could find...).

Sorry to say but your gpu peak watts is 360w? Kram GPU doesn't even shows that. This is the reason why Kram needs a better bios

EVGA_Lee
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 15:34:45 (permalink)
Xal3R
EVGATech_LeeM
atfrico
Hi EVGATech_LeeM,

Actually, 360W is great.  The max you can even get is 366W on a 3080 Ti XC3, so there isn't really a reason to test a different BIOS.
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 15:46:02 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
Xal3R
EVGATech_LeeM
atfrico
Hi EVGATech_LeeM,

Actually, 360W is great.  The max you can even get is 366W on a 3080 Ti XC3, so there isn't really a reason to test a different BIOS.

I guess is safe to say the beta bios window of testing is closed till the new one comes😁

EVGA_Lee
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 15:58:21 (permalink)
atfrico
EVGATech_LeeM

I guess is safe to say the beta bios window of testing is closed till the new one comes😁

Not really.  It's more that I have a random card on my test bench that pulls the same wattage (actually, a few W more), tested it with the BIOS, and saw no improvement (couldn't really see where improvement would come from, either).  If the issue is that the card isn't pulling enough wattage, you won't see anything when you're already hitting close to the max.
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 16:03:32 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
atfrico
EVGATech_LeeM

Not really.  It's more that I have a random card on my test bench that pulls the same wattage (actually, a few W more), tested it with the BIOS, and saw no improvement (couldn't really see where improvement would come from, either).  If the issue is that the card isn't pulling enough wattage, you won't see anything when you're already hitting close to the max.

If you say so😅. what I have noticed the distribution of wattage is not balance well. The voltage regulator, if you can call it that, is having problems in making a decision whether the GPU Core, or the memory needs it the most. In another words, there is not an established amount distribute to the GPU and the memory at the same time.
post edited by atfrico - 2021/07/29 16:04:57

EVGA_Lee
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 16:21:55 (permalink)
atfrico
EVGATech_LeeM

If you say so😅. what I have noticed the distribution of wattage is not balance well. The voltage regulator, if you can call it that, is having problems in making a decision whether the GPU Core, or the memory needs it the most. In another words, there is not an established amount distribute to the GPU and the memory at the same time.

I'm not suggesting all cards behave similar to the card on my bench or Xal3r's.  Even with all the people posting in this thread, it's still a limited sample size of how cards behave under different conditions.  Trust me, it would be much easier to look into any issues if 98% of all cards behaved the same way.  Unfortunately, it rarely works out that way.
Aruzedragon
  • Total Posts : 82
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 16:35:56 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
atfrico
EVGATech_LeeM

I'm not suggesting all cards behave similar to the card on my bench or Xal3r's.  Even with all the people posting in this thread, it's still a limited sample size of how cards behave under different conditions.  Trust me, it would be much easier to look into any issues if 98% of all cards behaved the same way.  Unfortunately, it rarely works out that way.

Anyways, thanks for looking into it and giving us updates on it.
kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 21477
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 16:46:50 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
atfrico
EVGATech_LeeM

Yeah, I'm not seeing much of benefit with the beta bios, still low on power. What's weird is I have the card in a different system that has an older version of Windows 10 with driver 471.11 on a i5-9500T system and with regular bios or beta bios I'm getting slightly better graphic scores than my i9-10940X system lol. Putting my info together, will post the results shortly.
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 16:52:07 (permalink)
kram36
EVGATech_LeeM
atfrico
EVGATech_LeeM

Yeah, I'm not seeing much of benefit with the beta bios, still low on power. What's weird is I have the card in a different system that has an older version of Windows 10 with driver 471.11 on a i5-9500T system and with regular bios or beta bios I'm getting slightly better graphic scores than my i9-10940X system lol. Putting my info together, will post the results shortly.

🤔 interesting find, older system better scores? something is not right at all. 

spiffy_1
  • Total Posts : 73
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 16:58:28 (permalink)
even using evga precision going to that 105% power target I still only pull 333.7W off the board.  Pci slot at 68.1, 8pin 1 and 2 125.3w and 141.5w respectively.

The que doesn't differentiate between business or personal.  The que knows all.  The que is life.  The que smiles upon us and gives us a time to purchase.

Side note:  Its a good thing the que isn't like fight club....
kram36
The Destroyer
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 17:19:31 (permalink)
atfrico
kram36
EVGATech_LeeM
atfrico
EVGATech_LeeM

🤔 interesting find, older system better scores? something is not right at all. 

Just a quick glimpse, have pictures too of the i5-9500T runs.

Stock with the slider maxed out as EVGATech_LeeM instructed.

Time Spy regular bios graphic score 18,474 beta bios graphic score 18,539 regular bios i9-10940X graphic score 18,451

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/21822804/spy/21823236/spy/21648387

Overclock +150 GPU +1,000 Memory with slider maxed out as EVGATech_LeeM instructed.

Time Spy regular bios graphic score 19,059 beta bios graphic score 18,711 regular bios i9-10940X graphic score 18,893

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/21822983/spy/21823372/spy/21649388

Stock with the slider maxed out as EVGATech_LeeM instructed.

Port Royal regular bios score 12,430 beta bios score 12,446 regular bios i9-10940X score 12,367

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/pr/1148820/pr/1148860/pr/1136681

Overclock +150 GPU +1,000 Memory with slider maxed out as EVGATech_LeeM instructed.

Port Royal regular bios score 12,874 beta bios score 12,829 regular bios i9-10940X score 12,742

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/pr/1148780/pr/1148882/pr/1136708
post edited by kram36 - 2021/07/29 17:22:06
kram36
The Destroyer
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 19:13:39 (permalink)
Time Spy

Stock regular bios i5-9500T 1650MHz lowest during the run, power 301.2W

Stock beta bios i5-9500T 1650MHz lowest during the run, power 306.0W

OC regular bios i5-9500T 1785MHz highest during the run, power 314.2W

OC regular bios i5-9500T 1785MHz highest during the run, power 318.6W

Port Royal

Stock regular bios i5-9500T 1665MHz lowest during the run, power 308.1W

Stock beta bios i5-9500T 1665MHz lowest during the run, power 297.6W

OC regular bios i5-9500T 1755MHz highest during the run, power 305.2W

OC regular bios i5-9500T 1785MHz highest during the run, power 304.0W

post edited by kram36 - 2021/07/29 19:38:13
Aruzedragon
  • Total Posts : 82
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 20:04:55 (permalink)
Looks like a bit more power is coming out with the beta, happy to see that =)
kram36
The Destroyer
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/29 20:33:29 (permalink)
Aruzedragon
Looks like a bit more power is coming out with the beta, happy to see that =)

In Time Spy, just a little more, but in Port Royal a little bit less. Really not enough for either bios to put this card where it should perform. It's still being held back severely in power, no matter which bios is used. With the slider maxed out, the card is still only hitting 91% TDP during one test and that's just for like a brief half a second, it doesn't sustain that power usage. Majority of the time the card is bouncing around 295w to 308w. The card is advertised as a 350w card, plus the additional max slider power and the card is nowhere close to that. It's terrible TBH.
Tricerakash
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/30 03:24:39 (permalink)

Using a 3950x with 64gb 3200mhz ram
Stock run with beta bios
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21829695

https://postimg.cc/gjwNz8, much better than the stock one for me.

Starting to see numbers over 300w
https://postimg.cc/kD6Wy70d

Furmark is the same, oddly it uses 300w+ but the clock is only at like 890mhz.
https://postimg.cc/K41vkzdt

Kombustor wouldn't let me take a full screenshot, but the power draw hasn't changed, it drew this much wattage on the stock bios, oddly this draws the most wattage consistently
https://postimg.cc/KR4qyX3G

Heaven 4.0 was being weird about screenshots but it also had a high power draw, I saw 350W flash for a second. Overall it had a higher power draw. 

The beta bios seems to have increased the idle voltage on stock if you have the GPU set to Prefer Maximum Performance in the Nvidia control panel it. I saw a jump from 800mv to 900mv.

The beta bios seems to have brought more heat with it, which seems normal. I have seen an increase of 3-5c while under these synthetic loads. if possible would @EVGATech_LeeM be able to tell us more about the water block?

post edited by Tricerakash - 2021/07/30 09:28:31
kram36
The Destroyer
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/30 04:13:26 (permalink)
Tricerakash

Stock run with beta bios

A link to your run would be nice to have.
Tricerakash
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/30 09:28:46 (permalink)
added
kram36
The Destroyer
Re: 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper, low power consumption, hidden power cap? 2021/07/30 09:58:50 (permalink)
Tricerakash

Stock run with beta bios
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21829695

Furmark is the same, oddly it uses 300w+ but the clock is only at like 890mhz.
https://postimg.cc/K41vkzdt

Kombustor wouldn't let me take a full screenshot, but the power draw hasn't changed, it drew this much wattage on the stock bios, oddly this draws the most wattage consistently
https://postimg.cc/KR4qyX3G

Heaven 4.0 was being weird about screenshots but it also had a high power draw, I saw 350W flash for a second. Overall it had a higher power draw. 

The beta bios seems to have increased the idle voltage on stock if you have the GPU set to Prefer Maximum Performance in the Nvidia control panel it. I saw a jump from 800mv to 900mv.

The beta bios seems to have brought more heat with it, which seems normal. I have seen an increase of 3-5c while under these synthetic loads. if possible would @EVGATech_LeeM be able to tell us more about the water block?

So your Time Spy run was with an oc to the GPU only?
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 17 of 29
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile