EVGA

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 17
Author
CoriolisAffectment
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 143
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 09:05:09 (permalink)
Aww...no.  Phew.  Man.  Jeepers.  I feel used and abused right now.

Affiliate Code: 9SOE79HNPC

Below is a near live feed from my system's water loop.

AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6681
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 09:06:59 (permalink)
No more card sag! That's a nice feature..

I'd say offer the new cooler to those thst already own a ftw as a upgrade to satisfy everyone that wants one.. no one can be mad then.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6916
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 09:22:23 (permalink)
Aarkane
I bought my 1080 FTW back in July.  It was approved for advanced RMA due to all the issues with no thermal pads, old bios, constant black screens ,etc.

I got my replacement a month or so ago with the thermal pads, bios updated, the black screen *mostly* gone, but I still get them occasionally along with a random complete computer shutdown in the middle of heavy gaming from time to time (something I never had before with my 970 SLI setup doing the exact same thing).  But the major annoying issue I'm having is the fans are full blast from the moment I load any game, and they are not all that quiet.

I'm not one to complain...but I did pay a slight premium back in July and I can say I'm not exactly satisfied with my purchase.  So I'm hoping there will be some sort of program to allow us to replace our current cards with something else.  Pretty please, EVGA?

Time to RMA both your GPU for the fan issues and your PSU because your computer shuts off under load.
r0man89
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 09:22:43 (permalink)
Really........
Uzi Foo
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 10:01:08 (permalink)
My 1070 FTW is still on it's way.  I'll just return it for my money back and then avoid EVGA.

Edit:  Called NCIXUS and I was told that there is no restock fee on unopened products.  I'm slapping a return label on the box as soon as I get it.
post edited by Uzi Foo - 2017/01/06 13:08:38
Adnan
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 462
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 10:07:35 (permalink)
Its improved backplate with more ventilation- per Jay it mounts better and more secure- card feels more firm compared to the older FTW.  Slap on a new/updated name and easy way to make money :)
Bar81
  • Total Posts : 99
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 10:20:32 (permalink)
shannonjpower

Nice.  Very well done.

Intel 6700T, Thermalright Macho Zero, Asus Sabertooth Z170 S, 64GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT, EVGA 1080 Ti SC, Samsung 850 PRO, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv, Kingwin Stryker 500W
clem68
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 10:36:59 (permalink)
WMcCravey
"Game with safety and piece of mind"
So you are flat out saying that the old FTW cards are unsafe?

Well my second 1080 FTW short-circuited the pci-e power supply during the night and burst into flames when I tried to restart the computer (pic of the board attached), so "safe gaming" is definitely a thing for me now...

Waiting for the new one, but let's say that I will be a bit apprehensive about it.
(Oh, and the first one had the black screen and 100% fan issue.)

Attached Image(s)

Forgeborn
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 10:43:56 (permalink)
IMHO the best case scenario we can hope for is:

1: EVGA release the cooler like an upgrade kit such as the Hybrid cooler kit.

2: EVGA provide this new kit at no cost (shipping and taxes extra - like the PowerLink) to registered owners of the current FTW cards (1080 AND 1070) and offer them the choice to RMA for the new cooler - just like the "Optional" thermal pad fix.

But I doubt that anything like this will happen since they didn't even offer a discount coupon for the Hybrid kit to 1070/1080 owners after all this thermal fiasco so... Does anyone know if they did something like this ^^ for the 970 FTW "1" owners when they release the "FTW 2"? If they didn't then count on the same treatment for this generation.

It looks to me like moving forward all EVGA will have to offer over other brands is good customer service if/when you need to RMA. No value to be had at all in buying anything non-reference from EVGA if this is the way they are going to go about their business.

And I'd just like to address the people suggesting others be contented with what they have and realize that "newer and better" stuff is released the moment you buy your current gear.
You have a good point. Here's my analogy of this situation, to a car (we all love these, don't deny it):

I wonder what people would do if Dodge released a 2016 Challenger that overheated whenever anyone took it to the track or gunned it onto the highway or up a steep incline, just like all the promos for the car showed. And they released an "optional" new "coolant" that people could order and install for free or call the dealer and have them pick-up the car, do the mod and return it for free. Even though it is not required in any way, shape or form, they do it for you because they care about your feelings.

Then a couple of months into production they stop making the 2016(version.1) Challengers with that coolant solution and only make a new one (2016 version.2) that is obviously better (and touted as such) then the previous "version". Going so far as to specifically mention the required and improved cooling solution as the "new" main selling point of this "remastered" 2016 model. You think anyone with a "version.1" is going to be happy? 

Yeah people are upset because something newer and better came out and not because a faulty product (the ACX 3.0 coolers are the defective products) has been discontinued and replacements are not yet being offered to customers with said defective products.

And if anyone wants to say that ACX 3.0 is not INSUFFICIENT, then why is it getting replaced half-way through it's first production cycle? What part of that am I not understanding?
post edited by Forgeborn - 2017/01/06 11:42:44
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 11:13:10 (permalink)
Forgeborn

2: EVGA provide this new kit at no cost (shipping and taxes extra - like the PowerLink) to registered owners of the current FTW cards (1080 AND 1070) and offer them the choice to RMA for the new cooler - just like the "Optional" thermal pad fix.

But I doubt that anything like this will happen since they didn't even offer a discount coupon for the Hybrid kit to 1070/1080 owners after all this thermal fiasco so... Does anyone know if they did something like this ^^ for the 970 FTW "1" owners when they release the "FTW 2"? If they didn't then count on the same treatment for this generation.

It looks to me like moving forward all EVGA will have to offer over other brands is good customer service if/when you need to RMA. No value to be had at all in buying anything non-reference from EVGA if this is the way they are going to go about their business.

And I'd just like to address the people suggesting others be contented with what they have and realize that "newer and better" stuff is released the moment you buy your current gear.
You have a good point. Here's my analogy of this situation, to a car (we all love these, don't deny it):

I wonder what people would do if Dodge released a 2016 Challenger that overheated whenever anyone took it to the track or gunned it onto the highway or up a steep incline, just like all the promos for the car showed. And they released an "optional" new "coolant" that people could order and install for free or call the dealer and have them pick-up the car, do the mod and return it for free. Even though it is not required in any way, shape or form, they do it for you because they care about your feelings.

Then a couple of months into production they stop making the 2016(version.1) Challengers with that coolant solution and only make a new one (2016 version.2) that is obviously better (and touted as such) then the previous "version". Going so far as to specifically mention the required and improved cooling solution as the "new" main selling point of this "remastered" 2016 model. You think anyone with a "version.1" is going to be happy? 

Yeah people are upset because something newer and better came out and not because a faulty product (the ACX 3.0 coolers are the defective products) has been discontinued and replacements are not yet being offered to customers with said defective products.

And if anyone wants to say that ACX 3.0 is not defective, then why is it getting replaced half-way through it's first production cycle? What part of that am I not understanding?

There would be a recall on the Dodge Challanger. Since the EVGA FTW models didn't actually overheat even under extreme stress testing with a black listed program, there wasn't a need for a recall. EVGA did release optional firmware and optional thermal pads for those seeking improved temperatures, should they desire to run Furmark instead of regular games.

I'll say it, as I've said it many times before - you are repeating misinformation. 125C thermal limits were not reached, and while 100C + is not optimal (hence part of the reason for EVGA's optional mods) it is within specifications. http://www.gamersnexus.ne...maging-of-vrm-1080-ftw

If ACX 3.0 coolers are ALL defective, as you say, then EVGA would have been forced to recall them ALL under US and EU law. That's not the case, obviously, since they aren't ALL defective. Some cards are and continue to fail and that's to be expected for any mass produced electronic device.

A free replacement cooler? That's not going to happen since the new ICX cooler is attached to the backplate throughout the whole length of the card, source JayZ2Cents, instead of the standard four screws around the GPU like most GPU models have (and like the ACX 3.0 cards have). Sorry, it just ain't gonna happen unless you want to drill into your PCB and void the warranty - no, EVGA isn't going to offer you that chance.

Plus I don't see the ACX 3.0 version (base model), the SC version, or Classified version replacements. Do you? They've shown a picture with "FTW2" and that's it as far I have found. Now, if they offer a base model with the ICX cooler then you can use their step up program to get the new cooler.

And the the nitty gritty - since there is almost no information about it, really it's just all pointless speculation right now.
madhankumar388
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 11:13:37 (permalink)
I dont feel good about buying a 1070 FTW ACX 3.0 , If EVGA Dose not give this cooler or GPU as free RMA to current customers , I am just going to return mine for refund as all resellers are offering extended returns . I will wait till the last week of my return end date , if EVGA dose not offer a solution i will just return my GPU . This was my first EVGA purchase propably will be my last ...
madhankumar388
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 11:21:41 (permalink)
How is this different from note 7 case ?. Not all NOTE 7 were exploding . Its how the company handles it . If EVGA thinks that just by launching a new cooler is going to bring back customers that moved to other brands due to this overheating issue , They are equally loosing the trust of many current EVGA owners .Not Cool , I will wait and see.
Forgeborn
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 11:28:58 (permalink)
arestavo
Forgeborn

And if anyone wants to say that ACX 3.0 is not defective, then why is it getting replaced half-way through it's first production cycle? What part of that am I not understanding?

There would be a recall on the Dodge Challanger. Since the EVGA FTW models didn't actually overheat even under extreme stress testing with a black listed program, there wasn't a need for a recall. EVGA did release optional firmware and optional thermal pads for those seeking improved temperatures, should they desire to run Furmark instead of regular games.

I'll say it, as I've said it many times before - you are repeating misinformation. 125C thermal limits were not reached, and while 100C + is not optimal (hence part of the reason for EVGA's optional mods) it is within specifications. 

If ACX 3.0 coolers are ALL defective, as you say, then EVGA would have been forced to recall them ALL under US and EU law. That's not the case, obviously, since they aren't ALL defective. Some cards are and continue to fail and that's to be expected for any mass produced electronic device.

A free replacement cooler? That's not going to happen since the new ICX cooler is attached to the backplate throughout the whole length of the card, source JayZ2Cents, instead of the standard four screws around the GPU like most GPU models have (and like the ACX 3.0 cards have). Sorry, it just ain't gonna happen unless you want to drill into your PCB and void the warranty - no, EVGA isn't going to offer you that chance.

Plus I don't see the ACX 3.0 version (base model), the SC version, or Classified version replacements. Do you? They've shown a picture with "FTW2" and that's it as far I have found. Now, if they offer a base model with the ICX cooler then you can use their step up program to get the new cooler.

And the the nitty gritty - since there is almost no information about it, really it's just all pointless speculation right now.

I think you need to read my post and not remember the debates and arguments you've had with others.  I didn't repeat any misinformation. I didn't mention that useless German Tom's Hardware article.
I'll say it, as I've said it many times before - you're having an old discussion you had with someone else. Read my post.

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 11:34:53 (permalink)
Forgeborn

Forgeborn

I think you need to read my post and not remember the debates and arguments you've had with others.  I didn't repeat any misinformation. I didn't mention that useless German Tom's Hardware article.
I'll say it, as I've said it many times before - you're having an old discussion you had with someone else. Read my post.

Misinformation is still misinformation. It's not being replaced, and if you have a source that says that it is then do share!
max883
  • Total Posts : 41
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 11:40:56 (permalink)
Fantastik! Maybe the icx cooler is more silent and dosent use the new loud bios fix!
Forgeborn
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 11:42:52 (permalink)
arestavo
Forgeborn

Forgeborn

Misinformation is still misinformation. It's not being replaced, and if you have a source that says that it is then do share!

You are right that I should not have called it defective, yet. I will edit my post accordingly.

At this point ACX 3.0 is merely "Insufficient" for the higher-powered FTW models (which have the exact same voltage and power limits as all cards Reference through Classified) and is being replaced with a more adequate solution for people buying the cards at this point in it's production/life cycle.

I don't think that ^ sounds any better but it is technically and factually correct. Hope that helps.
hapkiman
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 161
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 11:44:48 (permalink)
I went through 3 RMAs to finally get a FTW GTX1080 that was working properly and running cool, and I do love it.  And I will say that EVGA treated me fairly, or even better than fairly, but I find this news of a second version of the FTW disconcerting to me as a customer to say the least.  If in fact there were no "real" issues with the original FTW's, and the thermal mods were just given as an option (as EVGA claims), then why in the world would EVGA make a new improved version of the exact same card?  Has this ever happened before?   I cannot find an instance in which it has.  There are typically several iterations or different versions of the same series of GPUs of course, but not an improved version of the exact same card such as this FTW2.  From a business standpoint it strikes me as odd to say the least, and certainly will have a cause and effect issue of making my 1080 FTW(1) worth even less in regard to it's resale value (which already was not looking great), with a secondary effect of generally irritating if not alienating it's established customer base.  

I will try and withhold a final opinion though until I see exactly what EVGA does after releasing this card (i.e. offering some kind of "cross" step-up allowing FTW(1) owners to get the FTW2, or some similar offer of appeasement).     

Intel Core i9-9900k, Corsair H115i Platinum RGB, 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4 @3466MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC2 Ultra, MSI MEG Z390 ACE, Samsung 970 Pro 512GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, WDHDD 2TB, Dell P2715Q 4K/UHD @60Hz, Samsung T27A300 1080p @60Hz, Windows 10 Pro, Fractal Design Define R6 with x3 Corsair 140mm ML fans, SeaSonicXP2 860w, Corsair K70 RGB MK2, SteelSeries Rival 600, Bose Companion 2 Series III speakers.
panzlock
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1736
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 12:39:45 (permalink)
hapkiman
If in fact there were no "real" issues with the original FTW's, and the thermal mods were just given as an option (as EVGA claims), then why in the world would EVGA make a new improved version of the exact same card?  Has this ever happened before?   I cannot find an instance in which it has. 

That is exactly what seems to be happening. Quietly the ACX 3.0 is to be phased out in favour of the (hopefully) more efficient iCX solution. The reason EVGA is releasing a revision to their higher end products is because they feel there is indeed a need. ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, ZOTAC, etc... are not coming out with modified 1070/1080 hardware because they don't need to, thus far.

Now I could be wrong and EVGA had plans to release a new cooler to one up the competition, but I doubt this is the case. Thermal results would confirm this notion, provided the new iCX solution is better than what competing vendors offer.

Whatever the reason, the release of the new cooler with the attached marketing phrase is ill timed.
V3g3ta
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 12:40:01 (permalink)
I have no issues at all with my 1070 FTW, it came with the thermal pads installed and the ACX 3.0 system cools pretty much excellent, idle about 24 degrees and in full load reaching 52 degrees. I have no issues with the iCX cooler, except the used slogan for it, that suggests something was wrong with the previous cooler, the ACX 3.0.. So that slogan brings up alot of questions, which you see here and i fully understand them. So i'm wondering why they called it FTW2 and used that slogan.. Let's see what EVGA's respons is to that..
AustinMcCullough
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 12:54:53 (permalink)
madhankumar388
I dont feel good about buying a 1070 FTW ACX 3.0 , If EVGA Dose not give this cooler or GPU as free RMA to current customers , I am just going to return mine for refund as all resellers are offering extended returns . I will wait till the last week of my return end date , if EVGA dose not offer a solution i will just return my GPU . This was my first EVGA purchase propably will be my last ...

In the same boat here, and have until 1/31 to pull the trigger on a return. Will likely do so, because this reeks.
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 13:14:40 (permalink)
Forgeborn
arestavo
Forgeborn

Forgeborn

You are right that I should not have called it defective, yet. I will edit my post accordingly.

At this point ACX 3.0 is merely "Insufficient" for the higher-powered FTW models (which have the exact same voltage and power limits as all cards Reference through Classified) and is being replaced with a more adequate solution for people buying the cards at this point in it's production/life cycle.

I don't think that ^ sounds any better but it is technically and factually correct. Hope that helps.

And by your reasoning the ACX 3.0 cooler on the 1080 Classified, a card that has even more power phases and an even higher power draw than the FTW, is also insufficient? 

Dude, no. The Classified never had any issues, and it IS an ACX 3.0 card. The ACX 3.0 base model never had overheating issues, nor the SC. And yes, neither did the FTW. Yours is a faulty argument with regards to the ACX 3.0 being insufficient - that just isn't the case. Is it as good as other brands? Going off of just what I've read, not as good as some of the big air coolers. Yet guess what? That doesn't make them insufficient - just not as good.

Insufficient? In a straw man's argument only.
vsg28
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 611
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 13:18:34 (permalink)
The new ICX cooler is replacing the ACX 3.0 on all their cards, not just the FTW models.
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 13:19:06 (permalink)
vsg28
The new ICX cooler is replacing the ACX 3.0 on all their cards, not just the FTW models.

Source?
IchigoSoulReaper
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 13:29:29 (permalink)
Forgeborn

You just described the situation with the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C7) haha

CPU: i9-10900k
MOBO: MSI Z490 GODLIKE
Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z73
GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW - SLI (in queue for 3080)
RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Razer Edition
Fans: 6 Corsair QL120
DustoMan
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 316
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 13:39:42 (permalink)
arestavo
vsg28

Source?

Freeze Frame Here:
https://youtu.be/OHMKBusyUo8?t=372
The ICX cooler is on all the cards on the table:

Geoforce 1070 SC2
1070 FTW2
1080 FTW2

Dusto
dustoman (at) gmail (dot) com

Forgeborn
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 14:05:34 (permalink)
IchigoSoulReaper
Forgeborn

You just described the situation with the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C7) haha

I was wondering if anyone would catch that! 

Good Gearhead bait, eh? 
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 14:07:50 (permalink)
So far everyone is assuming that the icx is something spectacular. What we actually know: the cooler is mounted to the pcb rather than having 4 screws around the gpu core holding the entire cooler on.

Peace of mind: your cooler won't cause your pcb to sag.. thats all we know at this time.
Forgeborn
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 14:09:18 (permalink)
DustoMan
arestavo
vsg28

Source?

Freeze Frame Here:
https://youtu.be/OHMKBusyUo8?t=372
The ICX cooler is on all the cards on the table:
Geoforce 1070 SC2
1070 FTW2
1080 FTW2

Thank you for linking that Jayz2Cents video that arestavo was quoting as source earlier. 
post edited by Forgeborn - 2017/01/06 14:15:02
Forgeborn
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 14:15:44 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
So far everyone is assuming that the icx is something spectacular. What we actually know: the cooler is mounted to the pcb rather than having 4 screws around the gpu core holding the entire cooler on.

Peace of mind: your cooler won't cause your pcb to sag.. thats all we know at this time.

Actually we know that something about it makes it safer. Or at least that's what the marketing wants us to "know/believe" : "GAME WITH SAFETY AND PEACE OF MIND". That is implying that not having the ICX cooler is not as safe.

I don't know if it is safer or not. I do know that the timing and direction/wording of the marketing is EXTREMELY POOR at best and reveals EVGA may be skirting an issue at worst.

Or are they maybe implying that having a slightly sagging PCB is unsafe? 

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 14:30:22 (permalink)
Forgeborn
Scarlet-Tech

Actually we know that something about it makes it safer. Or at least that's what the marketing wants us to "know/believe" : "GAME WITH SAFETY AND PEACE OF MIND". That is implying that not having the ICX cooler is not as safe.

I don't know if it is safer or not. I do know that the timing and direction/wording of the marketing is EXTREMELY POOR at best and reveals EVGA may be skirting an issue at worst.

Or are they maybe implying that having a slightly sagging PCB is unsafe? 

What inpostsd is exactly what we have so far. The rest is simply speculation until EVGA posts the updates. Why speculate until we have actual information?
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 17
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile