EVGA

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 17
Author
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6916
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 14:37:03 (permalink)
DustoMan
arestavo
vsg28
The new ICX cooler is replacing the ACX 3.0 on all their cards, not just the FTW models.

Source?

Freeze Frame Here:
https://youtu.be/OHMKBusyUo8?t=372
The ICX cooler is on all the cards on the table:
Geoforce 1070 SC2
1070 FTW2
1080 FTW2

Ahh, there is a 1070 SC2 shown! I missed that since I was listening while browsing other tabs.
jrdnlc
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 14:45:56 (permalink)
I need that backplate..
bitxan
  • Total Posts : 67
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 14:56:20 (permalink)
Then this problem leaves out of the same to the 1080 classified? Customized pcb but still mounting the same heatsink ac3.0
Forgeborn
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 15:18:57 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Forgeborn
Scarlet-Tech
So far everyone is assuming that the icx is something spectacular. What we actually know: the cooler is mounted to the pcb rather than having 4 screws around the gpu core holding the entire cooler on.

Peace of mind: your cooler won't cause your pcb to sag.. thats all we know at this time.

Actually we know that something about it makes it safer. Or at least that's what the marketing wants us to "know/believe" : "GAME WITH SAFETY AND PEACE OF MIND". That is implying that not having the ICX cooler is not as safe.

I don't know if it is safer or not. I do know that the timing and direction/wording of the marketing is EXTREMELY POOR at best and reveals EVGA may be skirting an issue at worst.

Or are they maybe implying that having a slightly sagging PCB is unsafe? 

What inpostsd is exactly what we have so far. The rest is simply speculation until EVGA posts the updates. Why speculate until we have actual information?

Scarlet I like the work you do in these forums and I don't want to argue with you about the entomology or words or syntax.

"Why speculate until we have actual information?"  EVGA released incomplete information about the products. Why don't you ask them why they did that? I think I know why you won't. I think you won't ask them why they released incomplete information because you already know why they did that. For this thread. For these reactions. They wanted to generate "Hype" and "Product Awareness" without giving specifics. They want us all here discussing this new cooler.

But I'm sure they want the opposite tone. They want us all guessing and speculating about how many degrees Celsius cooler it will be (i.e.: "Will it be 1.011 C or 1.012 C cooler!!?! Taking all bets!"). They want us trying to guess what dates they will be available and how much more they will cost or if they'll be the same (i.e:" It's a Waaaayyy better cooler than the ACX 3.0 and it's the same price! EVGA is awesome to it's (new)customers!")

Sorry Scarlet but I think your question "Why speculate until we have actual information?" is not a good one because you already know the answer. The promotion (the paid bit with Jayz2Cents, and the spot at CES) just isn't getting the positive reaction Marketing was hoping for (yet?).
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 15:24:04 (permalink)
Forgeborn

Scarlet I like the work you do in these forums and I don't want to argue with you about the entomology or words or syntax.

"Why speculate until we have actual information?"  EVGA released incomplete information about the products. Why don't you ask them why they did that? I think I know why you won't. I think you won't ask them why they released incomplete information because you already know why they did that. For this thread. For these reactions. They wanted to generate "Hype" and "Product Awareness" without giving specifics. They want us all here discussing this new cooler.

But I'm sure they want the opposite tone. They want us all guessing and speculating about how many degrees Celsius cooler it will be (i.e.: "Will it be 1.011 C or 1.012 C cooler!!?! Taking all bets!"). They want us trying to guess what dates they will be available and how much more they will cost or if they'll be the same (i.e:" It's a Waaaayyy better cooler than the ACX 3.0 and it's the same price! EVGA is awesome to it's (new)customers!")

Sorry Scarlet but I think your question "Why speculate until we have actual information?" is not a good one because you already know the answer. The promotion (the paid bit with Jayz2Cents, and the spot at CES) just isn't getting the positive reaction Marketing was hoping for (yet?).

Ok,where is the keyboard they showed 3 years ago. Where is the keyboards they showed 2 years ago. Where is the keyboard they stopped talking about last year? EVGA showed mock products at CES last year, like the DQC cpu cooler and QDC gpu hybrid. But yet, we speculated and never received any more info other than "Soon". 3 years of "soon" worked out to nothing so far.

The answer I received about icx, "we don't have any more information at this time. Did you really think I wasn't going to ask them directly? We have the one video from Jayztwocents, and until EVGA releases a statement, we will all get the exact same answer. I don't plan to sit on the speculation train trying to figure out what they changed, as they will eventually release the product with details, which is way more fun to read than try to figure out what's under the hood when we have no way to see inside yet.

Give it time, and we will have answers. Until then, you have two pictures and a guy saying that the cooler is mounted in more than 4 points making the entire pcb sturdier than before.

Also, think back to the 970 issue with LED bridges.. remember how EVGA worked up the SC+ and FTW+ and how they helped customers after that was resolved? There is an entire forum full of those posts where evga corrected the issue and then worked with the customers. May as well wait for a statement and see what EVGA wants to do, rather than speculate what is being done when we have no idea what they are planning yet
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2017/01/06 15:29:58
Forgeborn
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 15:31:34 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
 EVGA showed mock products at CES last year, like the DQC cpu cooler and QDC gpu hybrid. But yet, we speculated and never received any more info other than "Soon".

Did you not see the Jayz2Cents video? Your QDC's are there. I guess "Soon" just wasn't soon enough for some but they're here.

I don't recall the keyboards ever being touted as anything but a prototype/proof of concept that they were working on. Not like these new ICX coolers that are demo'ing what looks like retail samples. These coolers aren't mock products, they are working units. Jay says they have that Asetek pumps and everything so... he obviously has more details than this video shows even if Marketing/PR (whoever you asked) doesn't have any more info to give you/us.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 15:35:42 (permalink)
Forgeborn
Did you not see the Jayz2Cents video? Your QDC's are there. I guess "Soon" just wasn't soon enough for some but they're here.

I don't recall the keyboards ever being touted as anything but a prototype/proof of concept that they were working on. Not like these new ICX coolers that are demo'ing what looks like retail samples. These coolers aren't mock products, they are working units. Jay says they have that Asetek pumps and everything so... he obviously has more details than this video shows even if Marketing/PR (whoever you asked) doesn't have any more info to give you/us.

Keyboards were prototype and proof of concept, and yes, jayztwocents did a video on those as well.

The QDC were shown in the dg-8 case before it had a name, in 4 way sli, with the CPU in the loop... the same thing with a different engine, because last year they has 900 series hybrids they showed off.

Also, I added a little while you were posting. You may not want to argue, as you stated, but until evga releases a statement, that's all you're doing unfortunately. Follow the history, and evga makes the official statement when they are ready. Moderators and even evga employees don't get all of the information until the NDA is released and a public statement is made. Until then, it's still speculation.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 15:42:21 (permalink)
Don't forget, this could have been in the works before the thermal pad stuff ever came up, so folks are assuming it came up and they fully redesigned and tested a brand new cooler in 2 months... or they were working on this, and applied a few tweaks after people started requesting thermal pads.

Do we know who may have the answer of when development started on this new iCX cooler, because I definitely dont.
Forgeborn
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 15:46:20 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Ok,where is the keyboard they showed 3 years ago. Where is the keyboards they showed 2 years ago. Where is the keyboard they stopped talking about last year? EVGA showed mock products at CES last year, like the DQC cpu cooler and QDC gpu hybrid. But yet, we speculated and never received any more info other than "Soon". 3 years of "soon" worked out to nothing so far.
 I don't plan to sit on the speculation train trying to figure out what they changed, as they will eventually release the product with details, which is way more fun to read than try to figure out what's under the hood when we have no way to see inside yet.

Scarlet-Tech
I don't plan to sit on the speculation train trying to figure out what they changed, as they will eventually release the product with details, [snip]...

So we shouldn't be speculating because you believe the product may not ever come out but we should just wait to discuss this product until after it releases because you now think it definitely will...

Can I suggest Scarlet that maybe YOU shouldn't be speculating? You have a dog in this fight. You have a vested interest in this product doing well for this company. The marketing people didn't tease customers with insufficient information/facts so that you could tell people what to think(speculate) and not think(speculate). They did it so that we (the customers, with no vested interest in how the company performs financially) could get all worked up about what's coming. It worked, we got worked up but they misjudged the tone of many peoples reactions. Where they thought they would get positive speculation and eager anticipation they are being met more with... well, what you see here.

Keep suggesting that we should not speculate. I think you are wasting your breath. You'd get better results if you went to marketing and said "Don't tease people with partial facts and hype up products before we are ready to ship them".
Forgeborn
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 15:48:53 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Don't forget, this could have been in the works before the thermal pad stuff ever came up, so folks are assuming it came up and they fully redesigned and tested a brand new cooler in 2 months... or they were working on this, and applied a few tweaks after people started requesting thermal pads.

Do we know who may have the answer of when development started on this new iCX cooler, because I definitely dont.

Do we know that EVGA was only initially aware of the thermal issue two months ago? How do we know they were not aware of it long before, say, when they started working on the ICX design? 

Do we know who may have the answer of why they designed the ICX cooler at all? Because I definitely don't.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 16:07:39 (permalink)
Forgeborn
Scarlet-Tech
I don't plan to sit on the speculation train trying to figure out what they changed, as they will eventually release the product with details, which is way more fun to read than try to figure out what's under the hood when we have no way to see inside yet.

Scarlet-Tech
I don't plan to sit on the speculation train trying to figure out what they changed, as they will eventually release the product with details, [snip]...

So we shouldn't be speculating because you believe the product may not ever come out but we should just wait to discuss this product until after it releases because you now think it definitely will...

Can I suggest Scarlet that maybe YOU shouldn't be speculating? You have a dog in this fight. You have a vested interest in this product doing well for this company. The marketing people didn't tease customers with insufficient information/facts so that you could tell people what to think(speculate) and not think(speculate). They did it so that we (the customers, with no vested interest in how the company performs financially) could get all worked up about what's coming. It worked, we got worked up but they misjudged the tone of many peoples reactions. Where they thought they would get positive speculation and eager anticipation they are being met more with... well, what you see here.

Keep suggesting that we should not speculate. I think you are wasting your breath. You'd get better results if you went to marketing and said "Don't tease people with partial facts and hype up products before we are ready to ship them".

I'll shoot you a PM to clear up some of your assumptions from this post.

If you would like to discuss this further, feel free to chat in a PM.  I won't be assuming anything about the new cooler because I can't see what all was changed until EVGA makes a press release.  Also, CES is always a place where they tease products.  This happens every year. 

Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 16:23:55 (permalink)
Ranmacanada
I know this is the graphics card hub, but no one is going to mention the EVGA water cooled CPU block?

I notice that as well, but I'm not sure what will happen with that. It's beautifull and great option for people who can't afford custom loop.
And I would like XSPC Ion and waterblocks, but that cost more than M.2.

And I don't see difference from pictures, only backplate is nicer and different as someone say look thicker.
If cooler is different that mean problem was not bad design of VRM. Problem is because nothing touch hot spot on ACX.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

ARIOS-X1
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 208
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 16:47:46 (permalink)
I've had my 1070 FTW for a little over 3 months with no problems yet. I did install the thermal pad mod for ease of worries and I always keep my fans on 60-80% to make sure it keeps things cool, but it is rather disappointing to see this new FTW 2 cards comming out so soon after the originals were released... to me it appears as if EVGA knows there FTW 1 models are offically not very reliable directly related to the cooling problems so many people reported. I can understand if EVGA made some mistakes when they designed the orignal FTW ACX series and didn't realize the faulty cooling problems until after many of us owners reported about it. From what I keep seeing is that they continue to state nothing is wrong with the originals, but I don't beleive it. With this new ICX cooling now, to me, is just blatanly obvious they are fixing a problem that they now know is a problem but don't seem to acknowlege it. To me this just says we messed up yet we won't admit it, but here is the new version that is reliable if you'd like to buy it. I hope my 1070 FTW 1 will last atleast 2 years, but I am aware it most likely won't if I don't keep it cooled properly. When I decide to upgrade to a new series especially from EVGA such as the 1170 or 1180 if that's what Nvidia will make then, I will make sure I wait atleast a couple months to read through the feeback so I know ahead of time what to expect better. I know this problem can happen to any card manufactor but EVGA's cooling problem has been made quite obvious and infamous around the tech communities more so than other brands from what I've seen with the 10xx series. Well, I guess we'll see how this new ICX design will be, I hope this problem doesn't happen again with their future card designs, because cooling design and operation should be the most focused on in a cards design and aesthetics can come after imo. Anyways as others have mentioned above, I do feel like I was some kind of beta tester and that is not a good feeling. I hope you learn from your errors EVGA, because the word has been spread around about all this and your company needs to bring back the peace of mind and confidence of quality and reliability a lot of us once had with your products. Hope to see if that will be so.
panzlock
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1736
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 16:53:43 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech

This may very well be another hasty response to the negative criticism of ACX 3.0 and EVGA's reputation. Apply minor changes that alter the coolers look, apply thermal pads where necessary, call it iCX and grant the public piece of mind.

Regardless of what you say, the phrases attached to this concept induce an implication. This is the blunder EVGA has made with this showcase. This cooler will be released, rest assured, and it will be better than ACX 3.0. Then EVGA will no longer have to deal with ACX 3.0. They will instead have to deal with bitter ACX 3.0 owners. I remember plenty members here asking for such a solution. What they received instead was a sharp fan curve, Boeing 777 turbofan engine decibel level sound and a slap dash, do it yourself thermal pad application classified as optional. Now that the solution consumers wanted in the past is on the horizon you expect something other than antagonism? Or no speculation? Pfff.

Forgeborn
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 17:01:14 (permalink)
panzlock
Scarlet-Tech

This may very well be another hasty response to the negative criticism of ACX 3.0 and EVGA's reputation. Apply minor changes that alter the coolers look, apply thermal pads where necessary, call it iCX and grant the public piece of mind.

Regardless of what you say, the phrases attached to this concept induce an implication. This is the blunder EVGA has made with this showcase. This cooler will be released, rest assured, and it will be better than ACX 3.0. Then EVGA will no longer have to deal with ACX 3.0. They will instead have to deal with bitter ACX 3.0 owners. I remember plenty members here asking for such a solution. What they received instead was a sharp fan curve, Boeing 777 turbofan engine decibel level sound and a slap dash, do it yourself thermal pad application classified as optional. Now that the solution consumers wanted in the past is on the horizon you expect something other than antagonism? Or no speculation? Pfff.

+1
somethingc00l
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 752
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 17:36:25 (permalink)
panzlock
hapkiman
If in fact there were no "real" issues with the original FTW's, and the thermal mods were just given as an option (as EVGA claims), then why in the world would EVGA make a new improved version of the exact same card?  Has this ever happened before?   I cannot find an instance in which it has. 

Now I could be wrong and EVGA had plans to release a new cooler to one up the competition, but I doubt this is the case. Thermal results would confirm this notion, provided the new iCX solution is better than what competing vendors offer.

Yes this has happened before, ACX 2.0 to ACX 2.0+.

No way EVGA designed and tested and manufactured a new heatsink in two months. They absolutely must have been planning this for a while.

The entitlement in this thread is mind blowing to me, play some bloody games and be happy.
panzlock
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1736
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 18:05:59 (permalink)
somethingc00l

No way EVGA designed and tested and manufactured a new heatsink in two months. They absolutely must have been planning this for a while.

The entitlement in this thread is mind blowing to me, play some bloody games and be happy.

Nobody said this is an all new design. This is more than likely a refined ACX 3.0.
Forgeborn
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 18:08:42 (permalink)
panzlock
somethingc00l

Nobody said this is an all new design. This is more than likely a refined ACX 3.0.

Yup. It seems like the new cooler to backplate mount will be able to avoid the card sag that Scarlet mentioned and thus keep the cooler more firmly against the area of the PCB that has been getting so much heat the last couple months (see what I did there to lighten the mood? Or at least my mood  )
somethingc00l
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 752
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 18:26:13 (permalink)
panzlock

Of course it's not an all new design (just look at it). It would still likely longer than two months even if they only made a few small changes. Design + test + certification + sample manufacturing + CE/UL approval + sample compliance testing + prob more I am not thinking of. You don't just make changes willy nilly in large manufacturing setups.
darkmatter00
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 19:09:17 (permalink)
I read this earlier, not a lot more information but it might be worth looking at.

techpowerup.com/229354/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-and-gtx-1070-ftw2-and-sc2-graphics-cards-pictured

post edited by darkmatter00 - 2017/01/06 19:14:21
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 19:56:51 (permalink)
darkmatter00
I read this earlier, not a lot more information but it might be worth looking at.

techpowerup.com/229354/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-and-gtx-1070-ftw2-and-sc2-graphics-cards-pictured

https://www.techpowerup.com/229354/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-and-gtx-1070-ftw2-and-sc2-graphics-cards-pictured

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
dustinr26
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 115
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 20:02:47 (permalink)
This would've probably gonna smoother for them had they just released a 1080Ti with new ICX cooling vs. redoing cooling on the current 1070, 1080 lineup as now that has created their own consumers  feeling slighted by them. I agree with Scarlett we need to be patient and wait for details but the delivery of this doesn't help them as it is almost  a slap in the face to all of us 1070 and 1080 owners who had to get the thermal pads and I feel they are mandatory not "Optional". Even to reference Jayztwocents vid where he stated he asked the CEO and he admitted we messed up. 

Intel i7 2700k O'Cd 4.6 MHz, Asus ROG Maximus V Extreme,Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus, EVGA GTX 980SC,32gig Corsair Vengeance Ram,240gig OCZ Agility 3 SSD,500gig Samsung 840 EVO SSD,500gig Samsung 850 SSD,1 TB western digital hdd caviar black,2 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD,Creative Sound Blaster Zx Sound Card,Asus VG248QE 144hz monitor x3 in 2d surround with Dell 27 inch S2716DG 144hz 1440p Gsync monitor,Razer Naga MMO mouse,Razer Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard,Logitech 5.1 Z906 Surround System,Corsair AX Gold 1200psu,Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower ATX Gaming Computer Case

giltyler
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1026
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 20:06:21 (permalink)
If we are speculating here let's speculate on what flavor cooler the 1080 GTX will have.
Nobody has fussed over all of the 1080ti speculation that has been ongoing for the last few months

MY RIG
ASUS X99 A II
INTEL I7-5930K 4.8 @ 1.258 V
32 GIG VENGEANCE LED 3000
SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 GIG
SAMSUNG 850 PRO 256 GIG
SEAGATE 1 TB 7200 RPM
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 
EVGA 1000P

giltyler on HeatWare
malxlupus
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 20:17:37 (permalink)
 - Gamers Nexus gives a pretty good rundown of the icx differences even if he cant give exact details. Hope we can step up at least. Hope the price isnt something heads above the ftw 1
Forgeborn
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 20:28:21 (permalink)
malxlupus
 - Gamers Nexus gives a pretty good rundown of the icx differences even if he cant give exact details. Hope we can step up at least. Hope the price isnt something heads above the ftw 1

Graphics Cards

• EVGA will only release reference versions of its products, NVIDIA reference spec and clock, to the Step-Up program

source: http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Sorry guys, unless they make a special exception to the Step-Up program we won't be getting these that way.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 20:31:58 (permalink)
Forgeborn
malxlupus

Graphics Cards

• EVGA will only release reference versions of its products, NVIDIA reference spec and clock, to the Step-Up program

Sorry guys, unless they make a special exception to the Step-Up program we won't be getting these that way.

They did from the 970ftw to the 970 ftw+ there is always a chance. We just have to be patient and see what their next move is.
Forgeborn
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 20:47:11 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Forgeborn
malxlupus

Graphics Cards

They did from the 970ftw to the 970 ftw+ there is always a chance. We just have to be patient and see what their next move is.

Nice!

I see your point in not getting worked up until we know exactly how EVGA will handle this. Exceptions to the rule can be made and just because things may not have been handled/presented well doesn't mean things won't go more smoothly moving forward.
Brignig
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 21:07:45 (permalink)
Wow Just Seen this on gamers Nexus. I just bought my 1070FTW in Nov and had to call to order thermal pads but have been to scared to install them. And now already have a FTW2 and SC2. This is completely unfair to the owners who backed EVGA on the Originals. They better have a step program or a swap program. Have been doing business with EVGA for years and this may be the final Nail in the coffin for them. Very upset.
BubbaBobBob
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/06 23:03:32 (permalink)
I think it sucks that a "problem that did NOT exist" and "oh, you don't need those thermal pads things" changes to an engineering update that cost a lotta bucks to do. And who gets screwed, us the loyal users.
I don't have the money to trade up every week, my last cards were a pair of 680 FTW's in SLI, wonderful in it's day but it needed a update.
Now if I try to sell this new 1070 FTW will I get less for it then this "new and improved" 1070 FTW2?

With or without the added Thermal Pads and grease?

Will EVGA allow a trade-up to the new (er) card.

I'm pissed, There would NOT have been this FTW2 unless we told them about the problem, now I get $0.13 worth of pads and grease and a pat on the head...

At least send me a back plate with the ventilation that should have been there in the first place.
I never liked back plates anyway, but I figured that if EVGA does it, it's gotta be OK, WRONG...

post edited by BubbaBobBob - 2017/01/06 23:46:12

i7 4790 @4.7MHz
Asus Z97-Pro
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Samsung SSD 840 PRO 240GB OS Disk
Samsung SSD 750 EVO 480GB Game Disk
Corsair HX850 PSU
Windows 10 Home
Corsair H100i Liquid CPU Cooler
Corsair K70 Keyboard
EVGA 1070 FTW Graphics
Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5
plus a couple of platter drives...
Asus VG248QE LCD x2
Logitech G502 Mouse

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with iCX cooling !?!?!? 2017/01/07 00:22:10 (permalink)
I know...When Samsung updated my model line 4K with HDR for 50$ less than my current one without HDR...3 months later. The thing that never changes is products get updated. Sometimes even by realizing design short comings. Should all manufacturers refrain from improving existing models/model lines? I mean, what really is the complaint here? That EVGA is improving a design? When did that become a negative? Are they supposed to be limited to releasing a static model and never make changes based on feedback? Isn't that how it SHOULD work?

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 17
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile