EVGA

trying to overclock my 1080ti on precison x1

Author
domjam
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/03/05 22:08:01 (permalink)
Need some help..not sure how this works. I'm trying to use the VF curve tuner thing. originally I tried manually overclocking by setting The powerlimit to 130% and the core clock and voltage to +100. Running Unigine Superposition benchmark at 4k optimized. it would fail and crash. i turned the core clock down to +50 and tried again and it did not crash this time. then I found the VF curve tuner option. reading up a bit about it i then reset everything back to normal other then the power limit. Hit scan. waited 20 mins and the score was 45..so not +50 then even though the manual passed the benchmark. anyways .  I tried setting the core clock to +45 and this time setting the memory clock to +500 and hit the test button.. I now got a score of 85.....I'm a little confused since I thought the score number determines the core clock. But since my original scan at stock gave me a score 45 and already knowing superpostion benchmark at +100on the core is not stable...why is it saying 85 now??
post edited by domjam - 2020/03/05 22:20:01

3 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30806
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: trying to overclock my 1080ti on precison x1 2020/03/06 11:15:02 (permalink)
    The builtin Nvidia synthetic test for "best stable OC of the GPU" is what your testing.  It does not test the RAM OC.

It is not unusual to be able to manually push it a little more ... & that Each benchmark or game can be different - before crashing

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

When someone does not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place; you can't use reason to convince them otherwise!
    domjam
    • Total Posts : 54
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: trying to overclock my 1080ti on precison x1 2020/03/06 13:10:37 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    The builtin Nvidia synthetic test for "best stable OC of the GPU" is what your testing.  It does not test the RAM OC.

It is not unusual to be able to manually push it a little more ... & that Each benchmark or game can be different - before crashing

but why did it originally give me a score of 45 when i hit scan at stock and then when i set the core to +45 and ran test again it gave me 85??  why not 85 from the start? and even then trying anything higher then +55 on the core gives me crasehs so its not stable so why 85? I don't understand that.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30806
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: trying to overclock my 1080ti on precison x1 2020/03/06 13:17:13 (permalink)
    X1 GPU OC Basics - Colder is Faster

Your PSU Needs to be up to the task, crank your Case fans to 100% for best possible cooling

Your MB, CPU, RAM -- Need to be Rock solid / stable

Make sure Windows 10 Fast Startup is Off (when upgrading hardware, software & firmware)

I go offline to install, then shut down All background software - yep, even security software

When you open X1 - Run it as Administrator

1) Slide your Temp & Power targets Full right & set your fans at 100%

2) Small adjustment to your GPU MHz  - maybe 20 MHz at a time & test for stability

- run benchmark software to load the card to manually test for better GPU OC

Why 20 MHz -- that is 1 Step for the 20 series cards

Use 15 MHz for 10 series cards = 1 Step

3) From Max OC --> I reduce by 10% for best day to day stability

Stability from program to program Can Be Different:  whether Games or Benchmarks you can expect different Stable OC settings, especially if your at the edge of stability

-------------------------------------------------------------

4) You must Save to a Profile Number - click on any 0-9

5) Then Apply Button & then Save Button

6) for Auto load of Last Open Profile there are a couple of items to check mark to make it work - launch on Reboot & Load previously saved Profile#

You need to select - Both of these:
         1) "Start on with OS"
         2) "Apply previous settings on load"

7) then click:  Apply & then Save  (these are needed to save changes to a profile, )

WARNING:  when trying to Find your best OC, Do Not select the "apply previous settings on load" --> if its an unstable setting you do not want these to load and crash your Rig on restart ---- right

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

When someone does not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place; you can't use reason to convince them otherwise!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile