EVGA

Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Lachie3112
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/06/05 03:45:06 (permalink)
New to EVGA and new to Nvidia. Not happy so far.

I'll keep it simple:
I bought a brand spanking new GTX 980 FTW from PC Case Gear in April.
Ever since installing the card I have had nothing but problems.
Since installing, I have averaged about one black screen lockup/bsod error code 116 nvlddmkm.sys etc every time I game. Sometimes I get multiple crashes, and it seems to vary with games, however I mostly crash in GTA V, Assetto Corsa (only in replay mode), Dirt Rally and most recently today Ark Survival Evolved. The crashes always follow this pattern: Black screen, sound starts to loop/buzzing noise, lights remain on inside case and fans still spin, but needs to manually be switched off and on again because it will not restart on its own.

I have tried various drivers, complete uninstall of all graphics drivers, done the ddu sweep, pulled out card and reseated it, switched ram sticks out, reseated the ram... you get the idea.

I have not yet tried under-clocking the card, but I don't think I will bother. Since reading the other posts by people discussing the 980 FTW and crashing, I am on the verge of returning the card for a refund.

Before the inevitable questions come in about compatibility, I thought I would provide my own FAQ:
Q)PC Overheating?
A)No. System runs extremely cool (corsair h100i, multiple fans etc... idles around 25C and under load 40-55C)

Q)Faulty RAM?
A)No. Tested and no issues.

Q)Unstable overclocks?
A)Everything is running on factory clocks.

Q)Motherboard BIOS up to date?
A)Updated before install of 980.

Q)Power supply able to provide enough power?
A)Corsair RM-750 80+Gold should be more than adequate.

Q)Have you tested the card in another system?
A)No, don't have the ability to, but be assured I previously had a AMD 6850 for several years with NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER. 

I hope I have made it extremely clear that before the 980 I ran a stable (although underpowered) machine for almost 3 years without fault or issue, but since installing the 980 I have gone from one BSOD in 2 years to 15 16 in the space of just under one and a half months.

System Specs:
Intel Core i5 3570k
Corsair Vengeance 1600mHz 8GB RAM
Corsair RM-750 PSU
EVGA GTX980 FTW
Gigabyte z77x d3h Motherboard

So the question is... Do I bother trying to RMA the card and possibly spend all my winter holidays without a GPU with the slight chance I could get a good one and not have issues, or return it to PC Case gear for a refund and buy a 980 Ti?
post edited by Lachie3112 - 2015/06/05 03:47:28

36 Replies Related Threads

Red46
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 05:35:57 (permalink)
    I am not even going to give you the usual run around about try this and that. As you see around those parts, issues with the 980FTW seem to be rather common, it's coming from a plethora of people with different parts and system specs. While usually you only tend to hear about people voicing their issues with a product rather than from the ones who would sing their praises, it's alarming how much threads there are here about the 980 FTW compared to the number of people having issues with a SC,SSC or classy so to speak.

Winter sucks enough, and if you can save yourself the stress of going through a RMA gauntlet whilst spending rainy afternoon staring at an empty pc screen, in your shoes, I'd get a refund and move on the 980ti.
    You say winter is about to hit, so you live in the southern emisphere, interesting then how the issue seem to be worldwide rather than just a batch of bad cards.
    post edited by Red46 - 2015/06/05 05:48:58
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 05:53:33 (permalink)
    Red46
    I am not even going to give you the usual run around about try this and that. As you see around those parts, issues with the 980FTW seem to be rather common, it's coming from a plethora of people with different parts and system specs. While usually you only tend to hear about people voicing their issues with a product rather than from the ones who would sing their praises, it's alarming how much threads there are here about the 980 FTW compared to the number of people having issues with a SC,SSC or classy so to speak.

Winter sucks enough, and if you can save yourself the stress of going through a RMA gauntlet whilst spending rainy afternoon staring at an empty pc screen, in your shoes, I'd get a refund and move on the 980ti.
    You say winter is about to hit, so you live in the southern emisphere, interesting then how the issue seem to be worldwide rather than just a batch of bad cards.

EVGA does offer Advanced RMA, and you can get that "cross ship" (?). YOu basically pay for another GPU, ship out your bad GPU, and they reimburse you the funds.

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 05:53:59 (permalink)
    What Options do you have for a Step-Up?

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

robdavis
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 08:08:19 (permalink)
    yea might as well step up ... cmon evga waiting for my place in line

Mobo: Asus Z87-Pro
    CPU: Intel 4770K
    GPU: EVGA GeForce™ GTX 980 Ti
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3-1866
    PSU: Corsair 750W ATX12V
    Jshiver90
    • Total Posts : 83
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 09:35:21 (permalink)
    I have the exact same problem with my card, unrecoverable BSODs. I even RMA'd multiple non-defective parts because EVGA suggested it and ran every test I possibly could; I also RMA'd the first GPU I had, but the issue with the GTX 980 FTW presisted. However, down clocking the cards using MSI Afterburner fixed the problem, as did replacing the cards with my old GTX 660 OC. EVGA refuses to return my card for a different model, and I've been forced to wait weeks for a step-up to the GTX 980ti and pay additional money, not counting what I've already spent shipping various parts around.

I suggest getting rid of the GTX 980 FTW by either requesting a refund, selling it, or stepping up if you can afford it, as the list of people having problems with this card is growing larger and larger by the day, with no explanation given. Even after multiple RMAs.
    bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1604
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 10:12:07 (permalink)
    Usually if you download precision X and downclock the card by 200mhz, the problems will go away. This would allow you to play games while getting an RMA or starting the step-up process.

Antizm
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 10:23:48 (permalink)
    I'll get screen freezes on desktop with mine. Can still hear sound and stuff but screens locked and I have to reboot to fix it. Right now my GTX 980 FTW is sitting on my desk while I wait in queue for the 980ti. The faster I can get rid of this card, the happier I'll be.

Ever since I've taken out my 980 FTW I haven't seen a single TDR issue, BSOD, or Freeze. After the issues I've been having with this card I don't think I'll ever be buying anything but the stock reference cards nvidia puts out.

With all the 980 FTW problems I have seen I'm wondering if we are the vocal minority or if a recall is on its way for this GPU.
    bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 10:44:13 (permalink)
    Usually the FTW/SC/SSC/Classys are nice but it does seem this 980 FTW has a defect in a lot of the cards. I'm not really sure what it is, but EVGA (or NVIDIA) need to make a new BIOS for the issue or offer a free step up to the 980 Classy or SC for those of you having this issue as there already loosing $30 in shipping each time you RMA the card. For a lot of people it seems the card doesn't work properly with their computers, which is obviously a problem for the consumer and then forcing them to step-up and bite the bullet to pay $100-$50 plus shipping to step up to a better product that works.

If there is something wrong with the design or the card, then EVGA needs to step up to the plate and take responsibility instead of letting the consumer bite the bullet for you. But maybe it was NVIDIA's fault at which point I would hope EVGA would ask NVIDIA to deal with it. It could also be something to do with compatibility but I would still hope that EVGA would help the consumer get another product (possibly for free) like the 980 SC, since the 980 FTW should be expected to run in most PC's that a 980 SC would run in.

stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 10:47:44 (permalink)
    bsmegreg
    Usually the FTW/SC/SSC/Classys are nice but it does seem this 980 FTW has a defect in a lot of the cards. I'm not really sure what it is, but EVGA (or NVIDIA) need to make a new BIOS for the issue or offer a free step up to the 980 Classy or SC for those of you having this issue as there already loosing $30 in shipping each time you RMA the card. For a lot of people it seems the card doesn't work properly with their computers, which is obviously a problem for the consumer and then forcing them to step-up and bite the bullet to pay $100-$50 plus shipping to step up to a better product that works.

If there is something wrong with the design or the card, then EVGA needs to step up to the plate and take responsibility instead of letting the consumer bite the bullet for you. But maybe it was NVIDIA's fault at which point I would hope EVGA would ask NVIDIA to deal with it. It could also be something to do with compatibility but I would still hope that EVGA would help the consumer get another product (possibly for free) like the 980 SC, since the 980 FTW should be expected to run in most PC's that a 980 SC would run in.

It's the voltage limitations on the FTW. Not enough power to the card with the capped voltage limiter on the firmware of the GPU.

I'm not really sure if there is anything that EVGA can to make the card stable because they would have to increase the voltage even more, and that would cause them to breach their contract with Nvidia, because Nvidia has mandated certain standards that EVGA must follow. The only resolution i see is they have to lower the clocks a little more to make the card stable.
    post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/06/05 10:56:27

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    Jshiver90
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 11:35:50 (permalink)
    bsmegreg

EVGA is refusing to help resolve my issue outside of having to wait "around six weeks" for the step-up program; however, I've been dealing with this issue since early April, and being told that I have to wait "around six more weeks" to have a working GPU is entirely unacceptable to me as a customer. I've spent quite a bit of money on RMA'ing other parts in my computer as well, as EVGA insisted that it wasn't my GPU. So, to be told to pay another $100 and wait "around six more weeks", or be left with a $600 paperweight is incredibly annoying. In the future, I am very unlikely to use EVGA for parts after this issue.
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 11:45:48 (permalink)
    Jshiver90
    bsmegreg

EVGA is refusing to help resolve my issue outside of having to wait "around six weeks" for the step-up program; however, I've been dealing with this issue since early April, and being told that I have to wait "around six more weeks" to have a working GPU is entirely unacceptable to me as a customer. I've spent quite a bit of money on RMA'ing other parts in my computer as well, as EVGA insisted that it wasn't my GPU. So, to be told to pay another $100 and wait "around six more weeks", or be left with a $600 paperweight is incredibly annoying. In the future, I am very unlikely to use EVGA for parts after this issue.

YOu're having to wait 6 weeks because of the Queue for the step-up. TOo many people are probably in line for that 980ti. This is normal. Call them up and demand a refund for your FTW or get them to authorize a replacement with the SC model or reference 980 model. Refuse an FTW replacement.
    If they still refuse, you could go the "credit card" route....
    post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/06/05 11:49:37

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 11:49:42 (permalink)
    Jshiver90

I would also be upset if I were in your situation. The only thing I can think of is attempting to call EVGA and demanding a refund or a free step up because the card doesn't work properly and that they should know better that it's not just your computer.

Despite all of EVGA's top ratings for customer service, they don't seem to distinguish and do anything when a cards model is a disaster and will not RMA your card with a similar model even though it's evident that it's the card model, not the specific card (ex: SC to SSC).

Jshiver90
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 11:50:14 (permalink)
    stalinx20
    Jshiver90
    bsmegreg

YOu're having to wait 6 weeks because of the Queue for the step-up. TOo many people are probably in line for that 980ti. This is normal. Call them up and demand a refund for your FTW or get them to authorize a replacement with the SC model or reference 980 model. Refuse an FTW replacement.

I've called them twice. Both times, the only option I have is to step-up to the 980ti -- They said they couldn't give me a lesser model or a refund, even after I spoke with the "manager".

The only option I was given was to step-up or be stuck with a $600 paperweight.
    deuce985
    • Total Posts : 65
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 11:52:46 (permalink)
    If you have the option for a refund...get that instead. EVGA's RMA is solid but why would you want to take risk in getting another bad GPU when you can get a brand new one? Most GPUs coming back from RMA are just someone else used GPU that was certified again/refurbished. If I had the option I'd get a full refund and buy a 980 Ti. If you don't want to wait on the Ti queue then you can spend it on another GPU. 980 is still a very powerful GPU even though it doesn't make sense at that price point now that Ti is out. Another option is wait on AMD since they'll be releasing their stuff soon.

Also, you should underclock your GPU if you haven't already to see if it runs stable. If it does then you know for sure it's the GPU. Just because it's running at factory OC settings doesn't mean it will be free from an unstable OC. When it comes to OCing it's just lottery anyway but it shouldn't be doing that at factory OC settings.
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 11:54:12 (permalink)
    Jshiver90
    stalinx20
    Jshiver90
    bsmegreg

I've called them twice. Both times, the only option I have is to step-up to the 980ti -- They said they couldn't give me a lesser model or a refund, even after I spoke with the "manager".

The only option I was given was to step-up or be stuck with a $600 paperweight.

Then call your credit card company and dispute it with them. Explain your situation that they're making you cough up more money than what the card is worth (the 980ti purchase) all because they will not honor you a refund. Either way you'll get your money back.

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 12:17:52 (permalink)
    You could try to go the credit card route, but did you ask the manager for a refund on the card? I would try to avoid the credit card route at all costs and only use it as a last choice.

Feerlyss
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 12:24:26 (permalink)
    Well I had an SC version of the 980 and I had Display Port Problems from the get go.  The fix for black screen and "no display port" detected on your monitor, go into bios and disable the integrated gpu on your cpu.  For some reason these cards try and tap into the IGPU randomly and that will shut down the DP on the GPU.  That's one fix for that one issue.  The driver crashes you are reporting we have all dealt with from the last two driver updates as far as I could tell.  Ever since the new driver update I haven't crashed. 

i5 4690k @4.4ghz
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX (1250 core/1452 boost)
    EVGA Z97 Stinger
    EK Watercooling
    Noctua Fans
    8gb Ripjaws X Ram
    EVGA Nex650G
    INwin 901
    Samsander
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 113
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 12:49:57 (permalink)
    Feerlyss
    Well I had an SC version of the 980 and I had Display Port Problems from the get go.  The fix for black screen and "no display port" detected on your monitor, go into bios and disable the integrated gpu on your cpu.  For some reason these cards try and tap into the IGPU randomly and that will shut down the DP on the GPU.  That's one fix for that one issue.  The driver crashes you are reporting we have all dealt with from the last two driver updates as far as I could tell.  Ever since the new driver update I haven't crashed. 

The black screen Display Port issue and the random TDR's with the latest drivers are not the same issues as the black screen BSOD 116 that people are experiencing with the GTX980 FTW. Since downclocking solves the BSOD for most.

Downclocking will not help you with the Display Port issue or the random TDR's we see with the latest drivers.
    For the Display Port issue there was actually a BIOS fix released for the GTX980 SC ACX 2.0
    Here it is: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/167721/evga-gtx980-4096-141215.html
    Look at the bottom left under the Memory Support listing.
    Jshiver90
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 12:53:08 (permalink)
    bsmegreg
    You could try to go the credit card route, but did you ask the manager for a refund on the card? I would try to avoid the credit card route at all costs and only use it as a last choice.

I did.

I really don't want to go the route of the credit card, but EVGA has really backed me into a hole on this one. I'll never use them again, that much is certain.
    bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 13:40:38 (permalink)
    If you would of bought it from Newegg or Amazon then you could of been protected from this. Also, I know that most other company's would deny you a refund and only EVGA has the step-up program. So GIGABYTE or MSI would of screwed you over the same or maybe even more.

Lachie3112
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/05 13:49:59 (permalink)
    Unfortunately I don't have the option to step-up because I am in Australia and it doesn't seem to be offered here.

This card already cost me $850, so returning it for a 980 Ti is going to add another $150 to the total cost now if I return to the place of purchase.

Should I contact EVGA Support and see if I can do it anyway?
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/06 04:19:37 (permalink)
    Lachie3112
    Unfortunately I don't have the option to step-up because I am in Australia and it doesn't seem to be offered here.

This card already cost me $850, so returning it for a 980 Ti is going to add another $150 to the total cost now if I return to the place of purchase.

Should I contact EVGA Support and see if I can do it anyway?

Try and demand a refund, or get them to provide you the SC or reference model.. If no cigar, you may have to bring it up to your credit-card company (Sorry for my ignorance, do they have that in Australia?)
    post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/06/06 04:29:45

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    Lachie3112
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/08 20:39:37 (permalink)
    I'm currently emailing back and forth with EVGA support, which is not solving my issue. They said if the problem persists I can RMA the card, which I am not really excited about since reading of reports it took up to 4 attempts to get one that works with no issues, and the fact it would take a ridiculously long time to get one back.

I'm going to contact the place I purchased from to see if I can return it and swap for something else.

This is such a freaking pain in the arse.
    Jshiver90
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/08 20:43:13 (permalink)
    Lachie3112
    I'm currently emailing back and forth with EVGA support, which is not solving my issue. They said if the problem persists I can RMA the card, which I am not really excited about since reading of reports it took up to 4 attempts to get one that works with no issues, and the fact it would take a ridiculously long time to get one back.

I'm going to contact the place I purchased from to see if I can return it and swap for something else.

This is such a freaking pain in the arse.

I suggest calling them rather than e-mailing them. Their e-mail responses have been slower than usual with the 980ti coming out, and they often glanced over previous suggestions I'd already tried and suggested them again. Luckily, the phone technical support is much quicker and seems to be a little more thorough.
    Lachie3112
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/08 21:06:26 (permalink)
    I'm actually impressed with their email responses so far (in terms of time), but yes they have glanced over previous suggestions or pieces of information I have provided. I do not wish to call them because there does not seem to be an Australian number to contact and the cost of an international call is just too high.
    Jshiver90
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/08 21:11:08 (permalink)
    Lachie3112
    I'm actually impressed with their email responses so far (in terms of time), but yes they have glanced over previous suggestions or pieces of information I have provided. I do not wish to call them because there does not seem to be an Australian number to contact and the cost of an international call is just too high.

Forgot that you were in Australia, sorry!

At the very least, I'd try RMA'ing it at least once. If the issue still persists, then I'd look into other options. I understand not wanting to pay for shipping multiple times, being in Australia. I'm sure there's something you can do, though!
    wickedwayne
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 120
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/06/08 21:11:09 (permalink)
    Personally i am quite underwhelmed by the EVGA customer support so far as i have yet to witness anything that warrants the high praise they get almost everywhere. Not trying to bash here it's just my personal experience so far.
    post edited by wickedwayne - 2015/06/08 22:58:05
    sectek
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/07/22 09:45:49 (permalink)
    wickedwayne
    Personally i am quite underwhelmed by the EVGA customer support so far as i have yet to witness anything that warrants the high praise they get almost everywhere. Not trying to bash here it's just my personal experience so far.

That's what surprised me most.  I hadn't ever bought EVGA before but because of their reputation, on this last build I went with their high end card and power supply.  When I realized I had a defective FTW, I was really surprised with my first interaction with their support.  I was very polite, communicated clearly the issue and the cause - and they were horrible.  Argued every step of the way and immediately pointed to everything but the card.  One quote I will not forget was "If there was an issue in this run of cards I would know it, the problem is somethign else".  LOL. 
    kayfaei
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 172
    Re: Yet another GTX 980 FTW Black screen crashing issue... 2015/07/22 13:14:27 (permalink)
    My goodness I am really praying I don't have this problem with my 960 FTW I have arriving to me on Monday. 

Setup:
    Case:NZXT Phantom Black Full Tower
    CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 Quad-Core Processor
    MOBO:ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    CPUCOOLER:Loki sd963 by xigmatek
    HHD:Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"Hard Drive /500GB HHD
    PSU:Thermaltake Black Widow 850W power supply
    RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 8GB(2X4GB) X2 totaling 16gigs
    GPU:EVGA Geforce Gtx 960 4gb FTW Edition 
    My affilate code:WYX7H7IJDY
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile