Year 12 points change make folding pointless

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Red_Moon_Rising
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/03/26 19:03:28 (permalink)
for people who don't have high end graphics cards. Aren't we the ones who would benefit the most from upgrading our graphics cards for folding? So, why are we all but being shut out now? Y'all should really consider doing away with the points resetting every month and just have them disappear once used. Even if you folded 24/7 with a 1060 or 1050, I doubt you could reach the 10 dollar credit mark. That's not realistic anyway. You'd be better off mining coin.

45 Replies Related Threads

drougnor
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2715
    • Ribbons : 18
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/26 19:18:00 (permalink)
    The point of Folding at Home was never to make a profit in ANY way or shape. It's about doing science for the betterment of humankind. But if you are in a situation where you could possibly pay for the entire costs of Folding by earning $10 a month? All the power to you. 

I'm not trying to bang on people who only fold with EVGA long enough to get the bucks then run off to another team, or who stop entirely. Not at all. They're folding, and that's what is important.

I AM banging on the idea that the ONLY REASON to fold is to get gains. The gains are long out in the future. The gains are diseases that end up being better understood so we can cure/solve them later. The gains are the medicine reactions that will be simulated so better drugs can get released faster because we were able to show how they work in simulation instead of having to wait for many years of trials to test against as many possibilities as we can.

To that effect, yes, the new points add a higher level of difficulty, but Folding? Is FAR from Pointless.

d

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/26 19:30:04 (permalink)
    If you were only folding for the bucks and not folding for to help people cursed with diseases, then you were probably folding for the wrong reasons.

The point of folding bucks is to assist folders in upgrading when the time comes, it was never for people to collect evga bucks just for the sake of collecting bucks.

The folding bucks was meant to be a thank you for those already folding, and EVGA moved the reward part back to that mindset.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/26 22:37:13 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    If you were only folding for the bucks and not folding for to help people cursed with diseases, then you were probably folding for the wrong reasons.

The point of folding bucks is to assist folders in upgrading when the time comes, it was never for people to collect evga bucks just for the sake of collecting bucks.

The folding bucks was meant to be a thank you for those already folding, and EVGA moved the reward part back to that mindset.

I would have to agree that should be the mindset but feel they should not just end at the month but by hitting point goals. I have a 1070 and am pretty far from 21 million but in a week into next month would hit it.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

BadBertie
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 852
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/27 04:11:25 (permalink)
    Just got to say, Folding is not for profit or finacial reward.
    The pay off comes if/when a cure to all these nasty diseases is found.
    Then you can say "I was a part of that"

KTM Super Duke R EVO
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/27 09:01:51 (permalink)
    BadBertie

+1 Million

Fold because it is in Your Heart to do Good for the "Greater Good"

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102313
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/27 09:15:57 (permalink)
    I also want to fold more and I don't have money for an RTX 2080ti right now. I am trying to get some very good upper mid range cards. (Donations are welcome...LOL)

Like everyone mentioned folding is for 'the cure' and not for profit.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Red_Moon_Rising
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/27 18:54:29 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one

I didn't say only folding for the rewards. I said those who would benefit the most and be able to have a bigger impact to the causes via the rewards system are essentially being shut out of the rewards program. There's also a risk involved with folding or mining. It stresses/puts miles on your graphics card, so to speak. Mid to low end card users are taking a bigger risk by trying to help by folding because their cards can't handle as much stress/workload as high end cards.

So for someone like me who is relatively poor but still wants to help others when and how I can, there's no incentive to fold versus mine. I've been mining, then donating a dollar here and there to charities. I don't think I would have as big of an impact folding and much less incentive. Imo, EVGA is doing it the opposite way they should be doing it if they want to make the biggest possible impact.
    Holdolin
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 226
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/27 21:28:02 (permalink)
    Red_Moon_Rising
    for people who don't have high end graphics cards. Aren't we the ones who would benefit the most from upgrading our graphics cards for folding? So, why are we all but being shut out now? Y'all should really consider doing away with the points resetting every month and just have them disappear once used. Even if you folded 24/7 with a 1060 or 1050, I doubt you could reach the 10 dollar credit mark. That's not realistic anyway. You'd be better off mining coin.

No, you are not the ones that would benefit the most.  10 bucks a month is 10 bucks a month. It will help you as much as it will me.  Go ahead, go mine coin if that's what you feel is a better use of your hardware.
    DrSchmidt
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/27 22:19:54 (permalink)
    I may be in the minority opinion on this one, but I view the point targets as an intellectual challenge if I have X resources available for existing hardware and potential hardware upgrades and a designated dollar amount that I am willing to chip in for energy costs.  If EVGA agrees to kick in to help me a little bit with upgrades in the future, that's just a bonus, and I like to do business with organizations that are involved in this type of effort.

Ryzen 7 3700X; RTX 2070 Super EVGA Black Gaming
    GTX 1660ti MSI Armor 6G OC 6Gb
    Asus AM4 Tuf Gaming Plus Wifi x570

drougnor
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/27 23:07:31 (permalink)
    I'm using YOUR words here - "there's no incentive to fold versus mine(coins) [addition there, is mine]" - The betterment of human kind as a whole isn't 'incentive?' Please think those words through before you continue.

Mining is a selfish venture to start with. Folding at Home has always been about nakedly giving with NO immediate return. Minding is ALL about the immediate return, UNLESS you are mining blockchain on a NON financial based system.

So, you may wish to recalibrate your use of language before you bring mining into what is supposed to be a conversation about giving to the greater good.

Just my $0.02. Your personal mileage MAY vary.

d

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11105
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/28 00:24:04 (permalink)
    Just some food for thought. This is for anyone and everyone.
    Want to help save lives? Donate blood, volunteer at your local fire company.
    Want to help others, volunteer at your local hospital, Hospice, Habitat for humanity, Red cross or any other charity.
    There are many way to help others.
    What people do is their choice, but don't spend money on hardware and electric to fold if you can not afford it.
    Work on bettering your own situation so you can afford those things.
    There are a lot of ways to help others.
    And I'll repeat, donate blood, that does save lives, costs nothing. People need transfusions for many reasons, it is a lifesaver.
    Hate to say it, but if anyone has to get rewarded using their hardware, don't mine. I'd rather see them go to foldingcoin or curecoin than mine bitcoin blockchain.....

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/28 11:51:41 (permalink)
    bill1024
    Want to help others, volunteer at your local hospital, Hospice, Habitat for humanity, Red cross or any other charity.
    What people do is their choice, but don't spend money on hardware and electric to fold if you can not afford it.
    And I'll repeat, donate blood, that does save lives, costs nothing. People need transfusions for many reasons, it is a lifesaver.
    Hate to say it, but if anyone has to get rewarded using their hardware, don't mine. I'd rather see them go to foldingcoin or curecoin than mine bitcoin blockchain.....

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/28 11:51:53 (permalink)
    drougnor
    I'm using YOUR words here - "there's no incentive to fold versus mine(coins) [addition there, is mine]" - The betterment of human kind as a whole isn't 'incentive?' Please think those words through before you continue.

Mining is a selfish venture to start with. Folding at Home has always been about nakedly giving with NO immediate return. Minding is ALL about the immediate return, UNLESS you are mining blockchain on a NON financial based system.

So, you may wish to recalibrate your use of language before you bring mining into what is supposed to be a conversation about giving to the greater good.

Just my $0.02. Your personal mileage MAY vary.

d

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/28 11:52:14 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    BadBertie

+1 Million

Fold because it is in Your Heart to do Good for the "Greater Good"

Red_Moon_Rising
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/28 12:42:53 (permalink)
    bill1024

Stop virtue signaling. EVGA wanted to pay out less rewards and this was the easiest way to do so, plain and simple. So, it's just another smug elitist undertaking now. They care how they look not about helping people, don't ever forget that. That's why they don’t care about shutting out everyone from the program except those who wouldn't really need it anyway.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2019/03/28 13:34:41
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/28 12:57:15 (permalink)
    "Earn EVGA Bucks For Folding with EVGA!" it is not "Fold for EVGA Bucks with EVGA!"

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/28 13:01:27

Attached Image(s)

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/28 13:05:26 (permalink)
    Red_Moon_Rising
    bill1024

Stop virtue signaling. EVGA wanted to pay out less rewards and this was the easiest way to do so, plain and simple. So, it's just another smug elitist undertaking now. They care how they look not about helping people, don't ever forget that. That's why they gave 0 f's about shutting out everyone from the program except those who wouldn't really need it anyway.

Quit your bellyaching.
    They raised the tiers because they we too low and people were hitting them in just a couple few days and stop folding.
    It is EVGA's program, they can do what they see fit. Be glad it is here at all. Can't do the top, then do the first tier.
    Lets face it, if you can't afford the hardware and the electric, how is 10 EVGA bucks going to help? Can't pay the electric bill with it.

How many years have you folded with the EVGA team?

I folded for years with zero rewards since 2005, and would still be on that team if Abit did not go out of business.
    It is not about the money. 10 EVGA bucks does not pay the electric bill, not even close.
    I crunch on the EVGA BIONC team looking for cures, the crunching does not get one EVGA penny for our efforts.
    And if we did, the 10 EVGA bucks would not put a dent in my last electric 500$ bill.
    But this is the way I choose to donate, I can afford it. I just suggested other ways to donate/give back to society.

Holdolin
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/28 19:11:04 (permalink)
    bill1024
    Red_Moon_Rising
    bill1024

Stop virtue signaling. EVGA wanted to pay out less rewards and this was the easiest way to do so, plain and simple. So, it's just another smug elitist undertaking now. They care how they look not about helping people, don't ever forget that. That's why they gave 0 f's about shutting out everyone from the program except those who wouldn't really need it anyway.

Quit your bellyaching.
    They raised the tiers because they we too low and people were hitting them in just a couple few days and stop folding.
    It is EVGA's program, they can do what they see fit. Be glad it is here at all. Can't do the top, then do the first tier.
    Lets face it, if you can't afford the hardware and the electric, how is 10 EVGA bucks going to help? Can't pay the electric bill with it.

How many years have you folded with the EVGA team?

I folded for years with zero rewards since 2005, and would still be on that team if Abit did not go out of business.
    It is not about the money. 10 EVGA bucks does not pay the electric bill, not even close.
    I crunch on the EVGA BIONC team looking for cures, the crunching does not get one EVGA penny for our efforts.
    And if we did, the 10 EVGA bucks would not put a dent in my last electric 500$ bill.
    But this is the way I choose to donate, I can afford it. I just suggested other ways to donate/give back to society.

Well said.  I myself started in 2009 with EOC.  I switched teams because of an appreciation for how EVGA does business.  Not just the bucks, but as a company overall I'm quite happy to give them my business.
    Holdolin
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/28 19:17:04 (permalink)
    Red_Moon_Rising
    bill1024

Stop virtue signaling. EVGA wanted to pay out less rewards and this was the easiest way to do so, plain and simple. So, it's just another smug elitist undertaking now. They care how they look not about helping people, don't ever forget that. That's why they don’t care about shutting out everyone from the program except those who wouldn't really need it anyway.

Wait, you said you'd be better off mining and THEY don't care about helping people?  I think you need to evaluate...a few things lol.
    Red_Moon_Rising
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/29 22:57:02 (permalink)
    I called EVGA out on this and there's nothing anyone can say about it. I'm right, you're wrong and wannabe elitists. They don't care about helping anyone, nor do you. If you're not going to maximize your efforts/impact, you're virtue signaling. You want all the credit possible and them some with minimal effort. Don't even bother offering the bucks. Quite frankly, it's an insult to humanity.

I'm not going to keep going back and for with any of you either.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2019/03/30 17:44:16
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/30 00:11:50 (permalink)
    Oh well, take good care of your self and good luck what ever you do.
    Buh bye.

transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/30 06:52:31 (permalink)
    Red_Moon_Rising
    I called EVGA out on their BS and there's nothing anyone can say about it. I'm right, you're wrong and wannabe elitists. They don't care about helping anyone, nor do you. If you're not going to maximize your efforts/impact, you're virtue signaling. You want all the credit possible and them some with minimal effort. Don't even bother offering the bucks. Quite frankly, it's an insult to humanity.

I'm not going to keep going back and for with any of you either.

What are you even talking about??? They want to reward people for doing a good thing, but they were not setting the bar high enough, they're a business, not a charity.

They were losing too much money (I would like eVGA to live, thank you...I like their cards, customer service and people) and needed to rectify that.

Stop being a selfish person (because, rest assured, that's what you're being..you're upset because you can't get as much 'free stuff' as you used to, so you're throwing a fit..)....

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

drougnor
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/30 09:58:23 (permalink)
    Well, since we've established that there's absolutely 0 middle ground here and any further input from the OP is going to be even MORE inflamitory, insulting and needlessly attacking us for our charity and EVGA's gifts to us for that charity, can I ask a Mod to lock this one up?

Yeah, we can keep adding our reasons for folding, but the OP has demonstrated NO willingness to do anything but attack, complain and show NO growth.

Thanks!

d

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/30 10:11:12 (permalink)
    Red_Moon_Rising
    I called EVGA out on their BS and there's nothing anyone can say about it. I'm right, you're wrong and wannabe elitists. They don't care about helping anyone, nor do you. If you're not going to maximize your efforts/impact, you're virtue signaling. You want all the credit possible and them some with minimal effort. Don't even bother offering the bucks. Quite frankly, it's an insult to humanity.

plural noun: elitists
    • a person who believes that a society or system should be led by an elite.
      "critics portray him as an out-of-touch elitist"
    "Quite frankly, it's an insult to humanity" Maybe it is really you that is Insulting Humanity!

"They don't care about helping anyone, nor do you." You are Clearly Showing that you do not care about helping others and Showing Only I am deserving of all things free and I want it now.

drougnor
    Well, since we've established that there's absolutely 0 middle ground here and any further input from the OP is going to be even MORE inflamitory, insulting and needlessly attacking us for our charity and EVGA's gifts to us for that charity, can I ask a Mod to lock this one up?
    Yeah, we can keep adding our reasons for folding, but the OP has demonstrated NO willingness to do anything but attack, complain and show NO growth.

Thanks!
    d

Maybe even time to Lock Down this Thread As Well.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/30 10:26:40

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/30 12:02:52 (permalink)
    Red_moon_Rising, do you fold under a different name, or did you just create a folding account in February? It looks as if you folded 28 work units, and didn’t receive bonus credits, so you may not have set up your passkey which would give you far more credit. The only account you have visible only folded for a few days prior to the folding goals change, so it doesn’t look as if you have much experience with the program.

I am not sure we need to lock this thread yet.

Customers are allowed to vent if they need to, and they are allowed to express displeasure even if they do not take part in the events they are upset about.

If you do not want to see the OP’s thoughts, I would suggest avoiding opening threads from the OP.

Sadly, all of red_moon_risings posts are just complaints about graphics cards and EVGA.
    Chris21010
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1587
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/30 12:18:04 (permalink)
    i just dislike how his title states F@H, in general, is now pointless because of a new Folding@EVGA policy. the reason you should be folding in the first place is because you admire the work being done. Folding@EVGA rewards was simply a way to help rally people under one banner and help offset some of the cost associated with F@H. also with the reward being EVGA credit its not like they where giving out real money in the first place.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/30 12:30:26 (permalink)
    Chris21010
    i just dislike how his title states F@H, in general, is now pointless because of a new Folding@EVGA policy. the reason you should be folding in the first place is because you admire the work being done. Folding@EVGA rewards was simply a way to help rally people under one banner and help offset some of the cost associated with F@H. also with the reward being EVGA credit its not like they where giving out real money in the first place.

I doubt the member ever understood the points, bucks, or purpose. 
    Holdolin
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/30 13:32:37 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    Red_moon_Rising, do you fold under a different name, or did you just create a folding account in February? It looks as if you folded 28 work units, and didn’t receive bonus credits, so you may not have set up your passkey which would give you far more credit. The only account you have visible only folded for a few days prior to the folding goals change, so it doesn’t look as if you have much experience with the program.

I am not sure we need to lock this thread yet.

Customers are allowed to vent if they need to, and they are allowed to express displeasure even if they do not take part in the events they are upset about.

If you do not want to see the OP’s thoughts, I would suggest avoiding opening threads from the OP.

Sadly, all of red_moon_risings posts are just complaints about graphics cards and EVGA.

Are they also allowed to name call?  Unless of course you don't think calling people eletist is namecalling.  I'll just go ahead and report his trash and hope a mod will get in here and stop this nonsense.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/30 13:48:23 (permalink)
    I wonder if the OP is confused with the EVGA ELITE Program
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/30 13:51:44

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile