EVGA

Year 12 points change make folding pointless

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
DrSchmidt
  • Total Posts : 44
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/30 17:25:21 (permalink)
Block member...problem solved.

Ryzen 7 3700X; RTX 2070 Super EVGA Black Gaming
GTX 1660ti MSI Armor 6G OC 6Gb
Asus AM4 Tuf Gaming Plus Wifi x570

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/30 18:08:25 (permalink)
DrSchmidt
Block member...problem solved.

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/30 18:10:07

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/30 18:19:07 (permalink)
I am not sure why everyone is spending so much time focused on trying to prove this user wrong..

Why? You can all clearly see this user doesn’t care about the folding program at all.. this user doesn’t even fold. This user doesn’t even know how to properly set up the folding client, and instead of folks trying to assist the user, everyone is simply telling them that what they think is wrong...

Does anyone think that is actually going to change the OP’s mind?

The word elitist was not directed at anyone and was vague, as well as incorrect.

Furthermore, the fact the user stated “I’m right, you’re wrong” should show anyone that felt the need to respond that it was completely pointless and they should just walk away and let the thread fade into the pits of lost posts.

Holdolin
Are they also allowed to name call?  Unless of course you don't think calling people eletist is namecalling.  I'll just go ahead and report his trash and hope a mod will get in here and stop this nonsense.

And I responded to your ticket, I also removed the acronym for the users post, but I will do no further editing for the reasons stated earlier in this post.
post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2019/03/30 18:22:36
STR1D3R_2
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1430
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/30 18:33:43 (permalink)

post edited by STR1D3R_2 - 2019/03/30 18:36:00

Affiliate code E1HEL4HYPS
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/30 18:47:43 (permalink)

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/30 18:48:45

Attached Image(s)

STR1D3R_2
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1430
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/30 18:48:52 (permalink)
bcavnaugh

Affiliate code E1HEL4HYPS
bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11100
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/30 18:59:48 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
I am not sure why everyone is spending so much time focused on trying to prove this user wrong..

Why? You can all clearly see this user doesn’t care about the folding program at all.. this user doesn’t even fold. This user doesn’t even know how to properly set up the folding client, and instead of folks trying to assist the user, everyone is simply telling them that what they think is wrong...

Does anyone think that is actually going to change the OP’s mind?

The word  was not directed at anyone and was vague, as well as incorrect.

Furthermore, the fact the user stated “I’m right, you’re wrong” should show anyone that felt the need to respond that it was completely pointless and they should just walk away and let the thread fade into the pits of lost posts.

Holdolin
Are they also allowed to name call?  Unless of course you don't think calling people eletist is namecalling.  I'll just go ahead and report his trash and hope a mod will get in here and stop this nonsense.

And I responded to your ticket, I also removed the acronym for the users post, but I will do no further editing for the reasons stated earlier in this post.

Not trying to prove anything, op has a right to feel any way they want to. 

I did not assist the user because I did not know he needed help. He did not ask for any help and acted like he has been folding for years and  did not like the change. If he wanted help he has a funny way of asking for it

Call me an elitist I could care lees, been called a lot worse by people way more important than she is.

Maybe the OP is right and maybe we are wrong and folding is pointless. We will know someday if/when the research does find a cure.
But for now at least it is some hope and does make us feel better. At we're least trying to do something.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Henjam
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/30 20:21:08 (permalink)
Red_Moon_Rising
for people who don't have high end graphics cards. Aren't we the ones who would benefit the most from upgrading our graphics cards for folding? So, why are we all but being shut out now? Y'all should really consider doing away with the points resetting every month and just have them disappear once used. Even if you folded 24/7 with a 1060 or 1050, I doubt you could reach the 10 dollar credit mark. That's not realistic anyway. You'd be better off mining coin.

I disagree with OP's phrasing and tone throughout this thread, but I agree with OP's basic point. A lot of people with older cards are kinda being shut out of the eVGA bucks program.

People with leet hardware who say it's all about finding a cure should consider the following:

• It costs $30 a month in just electricity costs to fold 24/7 on a 980ti to MAYBE hit 16M PPM for 5 eVGA bucks.
  • If I'm trying to maximize personal profit, it makes absolutely no sense to spend $30 to get 5 eVGA bucks for a net loss of >$25 a month.
  • If I'm trying to maximize points produced, I could pay that $25 a month to someone with more efficient hardware to produce points.
  • If I'm trying to maximize my help towards the cure, I could pay $25 a month directly to FAH or towards the cure.

Given the costs of folding, it's currently 100% illogical for anyone to fold for ONLY bucks or for ONLY the cure with inefficient hardware. Without some sort of subsidy, either the folder, or FAH or both, would come out worse than if the folder was more efficient about their contribution.

Of course, for most people, folding isn't ONLY about the cure or the bucks and there are plenty of other reasons to fold. One of them is the eVGA folding community. I started to fold as a form of benchmarking. I liked slowly rising through the ranks on the stats boards. It became fun and satisfying to hit the tiers every month, knowing in the back of my head that I was contributing to a higher cause. The value of all that, plus the 10 eVGA bucks, made the costs of folding worth it to me.

But, now these high points requirements equal way more expected effort and way more expected cost. eVGA set the bar so high that I re-questioned why I fold. This time I didn't have an answer. The community is getting eroded a bit by team leavers. There are other benchmarks out there. It's not fun or satisfying to fold and have zero chance to hit the expected goals. There are better ways that I can contribute resources to FAH or to the cures.

For me, the beauty of the bucks rewards were that everyone involved won. eVGA got brand loyalty and good PR, FAH got more points, and people who were otherwise unable or unwilling to fold, folded. I think people like OP are proof of how good the bucks rewards were at luring in non-folders.

I'm sorry to see the folders in OP's category leave because eVGA didn't ease into raising the tiers. It's sad because I'm sure there was (is) a way to keep these people folding, where everyone involved can at least feel like winners.

* Edited to add FAH because for some reason it didn't show up.
post edited by Henjam - 2019/03/30 20:24:13
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/30 21:39:40 (permalink)
Henjam
Red_Moon_Rising
for people who don't have high end graphics cards. Aren't we the ones who would benefit the most from upgrading our graphics cards for folding? So, why are we all but being shut out now? Y'all should really consider doing away with the points resetting every month and just have them disappear once used. Even if you folded 24/7 with a 1060 or 1050, I doubt you could reach the 10 dollar credit mark. That's not realistic anyway. You'd be better off mining coin.

I disagree with OP's phrasing and tone throughout this thread, but I agree with OP's basic point. A lot of people with older cards are kinda being shut out of the eVGA bucks program.

People with leet hardware who say it's all about finding a cure should consider the following:

• It costs $30 a month in just electricity costs to fold 24/7 on a 980ti to MAYBE hit 16M PPM for 5 eVGA bucks.
  • If I'm trying to maximize personal profit, it makes absolutely no sense to spend $30 to get 5 eVGA bucks for a net loss of >$25 a month.
  • If I'm trying to maximize points produced, I could pay that $25 a month to someone with more efficient hardware to produce points.
  • If I'm trying to maximize my help towards the cure, I could pay $25 a month directly to FAH or towards the cure.

Given the costs of folding, it's currently 100% illogical for anyone to fold for ONLY bucks or for ONLY the cure with inefficient hardware. Without some sort of subsidy, either the folder, or FAH or both, would come out worse than if the folder was more efficient about their contribution.

Of course, for most people, folding isn't ONLY about the cure or the bucks and there are plenty of other reasons to fold. One of them is the eVGA folding community. I started to fold as a form of benchmarking. I liked slowly rising through the ranks on the stats boards. It became fun and satisfying to hit the tiers every month, knowing in the back of my head that I was contributing to a higher cause. The value of all that, plus the 10 eVGA bucks, made the costs of folding worth it to me.

But, now these high points requirements equal way more expected effort and way more expected cost. eVGA set the bar so high that I re-questioned why I fold. This time I didn't have an answer. The community is getting eroded a bit by team leavers. There are other benchmarks out there. It's not fun or satisfying to fold and have zero chance to hit the expected goals. There are better ways that I can contribute resources to FAH or to the cures.

For me, the beauty of the bucks rewards were that everyone involved won. eVGA got brand loyalty and good PR, FAH got more points, and people who were otherwise unable or unwilling to fold, folded. I think people like OP are proof of how good the bucks rewards were at luring in non-folders.

I'm sorry to see the folders in OP's category leave because eVGA didn't ease into raising the tiers. It's sad because I'm sure there was (is) a way to keep these people folding, where everyone involved can at least feel like winners.

* Edited to add FAH because for some reason it didn't show up.

I only Fold for the Cure. This is Extra "Earn EVGA Bucks For Folding with EVGA!" it is not "Fold for EVGA Bucks with EVGA!"
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/30 21:42:51

transdogmifier
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6116
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/31 05:48:19 (permalink)
I wouldn't bother. It's all about them, and not about anything else.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
Deepcool LT720
Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
Phanteks P500A Case

ipkha
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2308
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/03/31 17:22:03 (permalink)
Well, it certainly doesn't make it pointless overall.
It does make it pointless if EVGA bucks are the main motivation for Folding. Especially if you have older hardware and haven't banked all the bucks over the years.
Though as others have pointed out, electricity has never made it profitable to fold for EVGA bucks regardless. Unless your power was free, you couldn't break even.

But as our mods have pointed out. Venting is allowed on these here forums.

buttabean
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 230
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/04/01 04:15:45 (permalink)
I suspect anyone that is this irate about not being able to make the full 10 bucks a month, does not pay the electric bill.

Associate Discount Code: KQ9JGG4415FXHVQ 
Holdolin
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 226
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/04/01 05:09:35 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one

Holdolin

Kool wit me.  Matters not what you do hoss.

For the cure!!
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/04/01 10:14:27 (permalink)
buttabean
I suspect anyone that is this irate about not being able to make the full 10 bucks a month, does not pay the electric bill.

Could Be, mine was almost $600 last month alone.

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31001
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/04/01 11:15:17 (permalink)
"Year 12 points change make folding pointless" ---> is the Opinion of the OP (Red_Moon_Rising)

Folding is a Voluntary system, Contributions are for the Greater Good ---> by those who Want to Help & Can contribute.

I'll just say - Thank you to those who Do continue to Contribute for the Greater Good

Many EVGA Folding members have made their Point & the Reasons they Fold known ----> lets move On

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Holdolin
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 226
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Year 12 points change make folding pointless 2019/04/01 11:22:38 (permalink)
Cool GTX
"Year 12 points change make folding pointless" ---> is the Opinion of the OP (Red_Moon_Rising)

Folding is a Voluntary system, Contributions are for the Greater Good ---> by those who Want to Help & Can contribute.

I'll just say - Thank you to those who Do continue to Contribute for the Greater Good

Many EVGA Folding members have made their Point & the Reasons they Fold known ----> lets move On

Hear hear.  To the cure!!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile