Wondering about a BIOS update for my EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Gaming board from 2017

Author
blakespot
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2023/01/29 15:00:22 (permalink)
I purchased this board

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3GAMING, 11G-P4-6696-KR, 11GB GDDR5X, iCX Technology - 9 Thermal Sensors & RGB LED G/P/M

in June 2017 to run with my Skylake i7-6700K (4c/8t @ 4.2GHz boost). It's been great, but the games I focus on have gotten upgraded and more visually demanding and determine I was CPU limited and just upgraded the board, RAM, and CPU to a Ryzen 7 7700X (8x/16t @ 5.4GHz boost). I was correct -- it was the CPU not the GPU that was weak (I'm aware that the 1080Ti is ~= 2070 Super, ray tracing aside, and not far from the 3060 for older games). 

I have never upgraded the BIOS on this board. I have BIOS ver 86.02.39.00.90. I am wondering if moving to a new BIOS would be something I can still do / that would be a good idea. I can't seem to find a link to more recent BIOS for this board, however. 

Also, I had been using the EVGA Precision software that had the round, radial theme all these years, and now I have downloaded (in setting up the new PC) the Precision X1 that's less skeumorphic, more traditional looking - just rectangular window. I see no mention or settings to do with Master / Slave BIOS, and I now wanted to play with such settings since the GPU is finally being fed. (I keep HWiNFO64 running on a tiny, second display to watch CPU and GPU load, temps, etc.)

The new software recognized the board fine, and names it as such, but how do I interact with Master / Slave? 

Also, I notice on the HWiNFO64 stats display, in play, even at default settings applied for the board, the wattage stays around 265-275, but I see it jump briefly here and there to 285W. I had it slightly clocked up via settings (clock + 50MHz) and saw it hit 291W once. Should the BIOS / software be allowing it to do that? Temp stays around 75C - have not seen it > 80C. I moved back down to board default settings.

As I understand it, "max" TDP on this board is 280W.

Thanks.

bp
post edited by blakespot - 2023/01/29 15:16:22

1 Reply Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Wondering about a BIOS update for my EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Gaming board from 2017 2023/01/30 06:37:37 (permalink)
    GPU BIOS - usually do not need to be updated.

If slave switch position does not allow over 117% (power target) - Contact EVGA support for the correct BIOS for your GPU.

Flashing any BIOS takes specific steps - make sure you read & understand All steps before you try to flash the GPU BIOS

---> read this thread to see what was posted about the issue/ update - FYI --> Not an official post by EVGA & I've not confirmed the information or the download in this thread

you asked (snip) ---> "but how do I interact with Master / Slave"

Note: you want the MB BIOS setting Fast Boot OFF & Windows Fast Startup Off --- so the new setting for the hardware is seen .....

you could just try: unplug your PC after power down, hold start button 20 sec to discharge capacitors, & then  Restart Windows 2x & hope your PC sees the new setting

(answer)  the small switch, near the power sockets - it is delicate, the plastic is thin on this switch - Slide switch to the setting you want

You want Slave for Fans always with more aggressive curve on & 127% power target

- power off PC

- slide to Master (OC)

- Reboot

EVGA Forums Threads about this subject - (remember to change default 30 day setting when searching to "from the beginning" for older threads to show in your search)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile