Helpful ReplyLockedWarning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
NucleusX
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 240
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/10/31 08:07:14 (permalink)
yatz10
This whole thing rings a lot like the AMD PCIE issue - 

The AMD power draw fiasco was also entirely fixed by a vbios update. Somehow i don't think its gonna be that simple here.

CPU:  Intel 486 DX2. 66Mhz (Turbo). Cooling: LN2.
MTB: ECS. Chipset: SIS. HD: WD Raptor 300mb x 512. 154GB. Raid 0.
RAM: Corsair Obliterator Gold. EDO. 16mb. 66mhz. x8.
GPU:  Nvidia GTX Riva TNT2 FTW OC. PCI. 32mb. x4 Quad SLI.
PSU:  ATX 200 watt (no label). Case: RGB Milk Crate.

ksgnow2010
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 466
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/10/31 08:08:34 (permalink)
yatz10

I've been reading these threads, and I guess I don't understand how using anecdotal information or presumption is helping the situation any. People can and should certainly be put off that their cards have failed, but it's pretty clear that people also don't know what generated the failure of the card OR how many have actually failed. Extrapolation to a systematic problem is unwarranted. It's just adding angst for people that aren't having problems and not working towards any particular solution.  
There is limited actual information out there. Toms Hardware did a good job identifying a problem. EVGA didn't do a good job of providing a top-tier cooling solution and that should hit their reputation. But everything else right now is just conjecture.
This whole thing rings a lot like the AMD PCIE issue - poor implementation yielding an identifiable problem that then gets the interwebs spinning... but is for the majority a non-issue. Time will tell i suppose.

I agree 100%.

But...apparently...this forum is only for people who want to bash, whine, and conjecture.  Anything else brands you attacks...sign.
brokencross
  • Total Posts : 89
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/10/31 08:13:20 (permalink)
yatz10

I've been reading these threads, and I guess I don't understand how using anecdotal information or presumption is helping the situation any. People can and should certainly be put off that their cards have failed, but it's pretty clear that people also don't know what generated the failure of the card OR how many have actually failed. Extrapolation to a systematic problem is unwarranted. It's just adding angst for people that aren't having problems and not working towards any particular solution.  
There is limited actual information out there. Toms Hardware did a good job identifying a problem. EVGA didn't do a good job of providing a top-tier cooling solution and that should hit their reputation. But everything else right now is just conjecture.
This whole thing rings a lot like the AMD PCIE issue - poor implementation yielding an identifiable problem that then gets the interwebs spinning... but is for the majority a non-issue. Time will tell i suppose.

Pretty much this. 
Also people claiming their cards blew up and not posting proof. At the very least take a pic of the pcb.

Intel i5 4690K@4.4Ghz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | EVGA GTX1070 FTW replaced by a MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB 1866Mhz | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho | NZXT S340
jlp209
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 406
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/10/31 08:23:32 (permalink)
@ksgnow2010: Crooked EVGA is a nasty company. Just look at the leaks that are coming out about VRM heat and out of spec components. They knew about it and did nothing! EVGA is terrible for the community and we need to stop them. We're gonna make the best graphics card you've ever seen. It'll have the best VRMs ever made. It'll have the best cooling ever made. It'll be the most powerful card you've ever seen. And we're gonna make China pay for it. Folks, we've been taken for a ride and it needs to stop now. All the other manufacturers are laughing at us. They're laughing at us and surpassing us because we're all puppets and blindly support EVGA. Stop buying EVGA and make our GPUs great again!

/s 

Asus ROG Strix Z390-I / i9 9900K @ 4.8ghz / Noctua NH-U12A / EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra / 32 gb G.Skill DDR4 3600 ram / Inland Premium 2TB NVMe SSD / WD 4TB SSD / LG 27GN950 4K 144hz monitor / Silverstone SX1000 PSU / Lian Li TU150 ITX case 
brokencross
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/10/31 08:30:18 (permalink)
jlp209
@ksgnow2010: Crooked EVGA is a nasty company. Just look at the leaks that are coming out about VRM heat and out of spec components. They knew about it and did nothing! EVGA is terrible for the community and we need to stop them. We're gonna make the best graphics card you've ever seen. It'll have the best VRMs ever made. It'll have the best cooling ever made. It'll be the most powerful card you've ever seen. And we're gonna make China pay for it. Folks, we've been taken for a ride and it needs to stop now. All the other manufacturers are laughing at us. They're laughing at us and surpassing us because we're all puppets and blindly support EVGA. Stop buying EVGA and make our GPUs great again!

/s 

What we need is to build a wall between the VRMs.

Intel i5 4690K@4.4Ghz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | EVGA GTX1070 FTW replaced by a MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB 1866Mhz | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho | NZXT S340
ksgnow2010
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 466
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/10/31 08:39:22 (permalink)
jlp209

/s 

Um - wow - I am going to unsubscribe from this thread until real substantiated information comes out.  Claiming that EVGA knew and did nothing about it is a long LONG stretch.  Do you REALLY think a company would purposefully make bad product and ship it?  Again - wow.

I'm the COO of a manufacturing company.  Our employees work hard every day to make sure that good product is shipped out.  Do we have the occasional issue?  Yes.  Do we all do our best to resolve it and make customers happy.  Yes.  Are 100% of customers happy 100% of the time?  No - this is impossible.

Stating that EVGA is doing this on purpose and that EVGA is "crooked and nasty" (and all of their employees by correlation) is just simply stupid, uninformed, malicious, and childish.

I own a 1080 FTW and it's running great.
jlp209
iCX Member
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/10/31 08:48:00 (permalink)
ksgnow2010

Um - wow - I am going to unsubscribe from this thread until real substantiated information comes out.  Claiming that EVGA knew and did nothing about it is a long LONG stretch.  Do you REALLY think a company would purposefully make bad product and ship it?  Again - wow.

I'm the COO of a manufacturing company.  Our employees work hard every day to make sure that good product is shipped out.  Do we have the occasional issue?  Yes.  Do we all do our best to resolve it and make customers happy.  Yes.  Are 100% of customers happy 100% of the time?  No - this is impossible.

Stating that EVGA is doing this on purpose and that EVGA is "crooked and nasty" (and all of their employees by correlation) is just simply stupid, uninformed, malicious, and childish.

LOL. Read my post again. Notice the /s and the  and look at your avatar. 

Asus ROG Strix Z390-I / i9 9900K @ 4.8ghz / Noctua NH-U12A / EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra / 32 gb G.Skill DDR4 3600 ram / Inland Premium 2TB NVMe SSD / WD 4TB SSD / LG 27GN950 4K 144hz monitor / Silverstone SX1000 PSU / Lian Li TU150 ITX case 
tke899
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/10/31 08:49:05 (permalink)
ksgnow2010
jlp209

/s 

I completely agree with this.  It seems like people are looking for reasons to hate on EVGA.  It appears to me that this whole thing is extremely isolated incidents.  I have a GTX 1080 FTW and have had zero issues to date.  EVGA is known for their customer support.  I fully expect if I have issues within the warranty period that EVGA will take care of me.
jlp209
iCX Member
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/10/31 08:50:15 (permalink)
brokencross

What we need is to build a wall between the VRMs.

Because you know, they're not bringing in their best components. 

jlp209
iCX Member
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/10/31 08:52:59 (permalink)
tke899
ksgnow2010
jlp209

/s 

I completely agree with this.  It seems like people are looking for reasons to hate on EVGA.  It appears to me that this whole thing is extremely isolated incidents.  I have a GTX 1080 FTW and have had zero issues to date.  EVGA is known for their customer support.  I fully expect if I have issues within the warranty period that EVGA will take care of me.

Wow I underestimated the ability to take a joke and sarcasm around here! Again, because I guess it isn't obvious, read my comment again, notice the smiley face and /s, and look at ksgnow's avatar. LOL. Lighten up guys, it's Monday morning! 
post edited by jlp209 - 2016/10/31 08:56:55

tke899
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/10/31 09:04:19 (permalink)
jlp209
tke899
ksgnow2010
jlp209

/s 

Wow I underestimated the ability to take a joke and sarcasm around here! Again, because I guess it isn't obvious, read my comment again, notice the smiley face and /s, and look at ksgnow's avatar. LOL. Lighten up guys, it's Monday morning! 

I did read your post.  Sorry about that.  It's early and I haven't had nearly enough coffee. :) Your post vs some of the others however, people are getting really worked up.
ZCTxCHAOSx
  • Total Posts : 55
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/10/31 09:06:16 (permalink)
For everyone claiming your Video card is running fine, so was mine, for nearly 4 months.  I never had any of the black screens or other problems I've read about.  Just all of the sudden bam, dead.  So if you can afford to lose your card for ~2 weeks then good for you.  I however rely on it for work purposes and was extremely lucky I never sold or gave away my old AMD card, the performance isn't great, but at least it is getting me by for now.
brokencross
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/10/31 09:08:17 (permalink)
ZCTxCHAOSx
For everyone claiming your Video card is running fine, so was mine, for nearly 4 months.  I never had any of the black screens or other problems I've read about.  Just all of the sudden bam, dead.  So if you can afford to lose your card for ~2 weeks then good for you.  I however rely on it for work purposes and was extremely lucky I never sold or gave away my old AMD card, the performance isn't great, but at least it is getting me by for now.

What card, if don't mind me asking?

shannonjpower
  • Total Posts : 79
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/10/31 09:11:01 (permalink)
yatz10

As I said earlier in the thread all this speculation, extrapolation and assumptions could have been put to rest way back when EVGA done their own thermals tests. Clearly they done some form of in house testing as they posted results after the thermal mod. The card was in their hands, in the test chamber, with a camera why not run the test before the mod and afterwards and post the results? If TomsHardware was invalid as EVGA claims then that was their opportunity right there and then to end it all, put people's minds at rest and be done with it. Open shut case.
The only shred of evidence we've seen from EVGA is after the thermal pad was applied and a statement. People want numbers, facts, evidence, pretty little graphs to make it easier to understand. As funny as that may sound it's what everyone looks for.
EVGA really only have themselves to blame when it comes to the wide spread rumors and speculation. Their lack of forthcoming information on the subject and vague statements doesn't help anything and only puts doubt in the mind of their consumers.
ZCTxCHAOSx
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/10/31 09:12:07 (permalink)
brokencross
ZCTxCHAOSx

What card, if don't mind me asking?

This one here:

Part Number: 08G-P4-6173-KR
Part Desc: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0

jlp209
iCX Member
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/10/31 09:14:35 (permalink)
tke899

I did read your post.  Sorry about that.  It's early and I haven't had nearly enough coffee. :) Your post vs some of the others however, people are getting really worked up.

Was just joking about the mass paranoia in the thread title, I couldn't resist. Yeah. It's a very badly handled situation I agree but people forget that one way or another EVGA will attempt to resolve any issues these cards have. Seriously, I get emails back from tech support within 10 minutes sometimes. There are so many FUD threads on here; people still don't understand BS100% and VRM thermal pad issues are unrelated. You'd think EVGA would've learned from the 980FTW issues that are the same as 1080FTW. I guess not. That part is troubling. 
post edited by jlp209 - 2016/10/31 09:17:39

brokencross
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/10/31 09:15:00 (permalink)
ZCTxCHAOSx

This one here:

Interesting since there are a lot more SC complaints than FTW ones.

libneon
  • Total Posts : 90
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/11/01 01:12:15 (permalink)
I'm wondering if this is less about just heat and more about a problem with one of the components? My 1070 burnt out too and it had been fine for the month and a half I had already been using it then there was a spark and flame and it died. EVGA has said there were out of spec VRMs causing the black screen on the 1080s but supposedly not since September (see: http://forums.evga.com/GTX-1080-FTW-Black-screen-fans-spin-up-to-100-m2530081.aspx)
EllBrad
  • Total Posts : 69
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/11/01 06:43:28 (permalink)
brokencross
ZCTxCHAOSx

This one here:

You mean less? Thought it was the other way around

i5 4690k @ 4.5ghz | EVGA GTX 1070SC @ 2.1ghz | 16gb DDR3 @ 1866mhz | Acer XB270HU
MvdL79
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 550
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/11/01 07:23:04 (permalink)

brokencross
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/11/01 07:25:26 (permalink)
EllBrad
brokencross
ZCTxCHAOSx

This one here:

You mean less? Thought it was the other way around

Nope. I've been noticing way more SC complaints than FTW's (talking about 1070s).

ZCTxCHAOSx
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/11/01 08:40:45 (permalink)
libneon
I'm wondering if this is less about just heat and more about a problem with one of the components? My 1070 burnt out too and it had been fine for the month and a half I had already been using it then there was a spark and flame and it died. EVGA has said there were out of spec VRMs causing the black screen on the 1080s but supposedly not since September (see: http://forums.evga.com/GTX-1080-FTW-Black-screen-fans-spin-up-to-100-m2530081.aspx)

Not really sure what to think either.  I came to this forum hoping to find some answers about it too.  So best we can do now is wait for more tests.  Your "not since September" sounds accurate as i have heard quite a few times now that cards made after 8/30 seem to be unaffected.  My card was purchased in July, so could be why I had the problems.  Only time and some more official tests will tell I suppose.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/11/01 09:06:40 (permalink)
MvdL79

As for this picture, it is very unfortunate to see a component burn, but this is on the back side of the card compared to the others having part pop on the front side of the card.

My question is, what actually happened here? It was perfect timing to start it and have the video capture this failure.

Also, for everyone else interested, never block the fan with another component. Move the sound card further down so your gpu can breath. (not related to the failure, just something to note for others).
libneon
  • Total Posts : 90
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/11/01 10:14:33 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
MvdL79

As for this picture, it is very unfortunate to see a component burn, but this is on the back side of the card compared to the others having part pop on the front side of the card.

My question is, what actually happened here? It was perfect timing to start it and have the video capture this failure.

Also, for everyone else interested, never block the fan with another component. Move the sound card further down so your gpu can breath. (not related to the failure, just something to note for others).

I'm not sure what cards you're referring to that had a part pop on the front? The area in this video is the same area where my 1070 flamed up. It would be hard to say without removing that card and looking at it what actually popped but in my case the failed part was on the back above the VRM area. For all I know there could have been failure on the front too, but once I saw the damage to the back I knew it was dead. :(
mikenogo
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/11/01 10:24:15 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
MvdL79

I am actually getting quite sick and tired of your type of responses to the issue. CLEARLY there is an association with this card and the issue we are talking about. How about stop hiding behind customer's back and come out and say "there is an issue, here is the fix, we are trying hard to resolve.. etc" because it's obvious we can see you PR back peddling back to middle school.

irenicus785
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/11/01 10:30:58 (permalink)
shannonjpower
The door swings both ways tho and we only see the few who could be bothered posting their experience. What about the majority who simply fill out the RMA form and send it off or return it to the retailer.

Without any official numbers (which no one ever see's) no one will know the full extent of the issue. Could be big, could be small. It was enough to warrant EVGA to add an additional thermal pads to the cooler of all new cards rolling off the production line.

EVGA will know for sure in this regard... If the customer's card fully die, RMA's will increase therefore their inventory will take a hit and ultimately, they should have a ball-park number on HOW-MANY called for replacements over the past few months...

Not gonna lie... I'm slightly worried, and this entire forum is now filled with threads on VRM this, VRM that... Its kinda annoying as the amount of separate threads seem to drown-out everything else.

With that being said, I recently bought 2 1070's SC with backplates, 1 in September and another just 2 weeks prior in October for SLI gaming and folding... I'm not experiencing higher than norm temps, but I am worried now about leaving my PC to fold while I'm at work, haha....

I hope these are isolated incidences...

12G-P5-3967-KR 6/3/2021 7:44:34 AM PT Yes

CPU ~Intel 12700k (no OC)
RAM: Corsair Dominator 5600

CASE: Cosair 680X Crystal (glass/high airflow)
GPU ~EVGA 3080ti FTW3

PSU ~EVGA 1000 WATT Sli/Ready
MOBO ~ASUS Strix Gaming E [Z690]
Monitors ACER Predator Gsync 144hz 1440p
OS ~ Windows 11 Pro
AIO: corsair capellix h115i 280mm

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/11/01 10:37:27 (permalink)
libneon
Scarlet-Tech
MvdL79

I'm not sure what cards you're referring to that had a part pop on the front? The area in this video is the same area where my 1070 flamed up. It would be hard to say without removing that card and looking at it what actually popped but in my case the failed part was on the back above the VRM area. For all I know there could have been failure on the front too, but once I saw the damage to the back I knew it was dead. :(

This card doesn't even the 8 pin power plugs installed. The guy seemingly plugs in the card, put a camera on it, hits power, and spontaneous combustion. Not to mention the sound card blocking the fan, which is not a good idea.

Without 1 or both of the 8 pins installed, the card will only display "Turn the system off and plug in the pci power cable".

Does anyone actually have contact with the user to get pictures?

A lot of the pictures provided by most of those with the issue have shown the capacitors on the front of the pcb or a mosfets popping. I have found 2 or 3 pictures where the back is where the ARC happened so far. I am having a hard time finding substantial amounts of pictures
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/11/01 10:39:23 (permalink)
mikenogo

I am actually getting quite sick and tired of your type of responses to the issue. CLEARLY there is an association with this card and the issue we are talking about. How about stop hiding behind customer's back and come out and say "there is an issue, here is the fix, we are trying hard to resolve.. etc" because it's obvious we can see you PR back peddling back to middle school.

I frankly have no idea who you are, and don't think you are addressing who you think you are. I am just a user like you.

The forum moderator title means I delete people curse words. I don't work for EVGA, so acting like I am trying to hide some PR issue is completely incorrect.
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/11/01 10:43:09 (permalink)
mikenogo
Scarlet-Tech
MvdL79

You're asking an unpaid forum volunteer mod to act as an official EVGA spokesperson? How about you calm down and stop calling others immature and liars? How about you show us all these examples of failing GPU's you're so upset about? So far, nobody has shown anything but the same few that are being posted all over the net. You can be their hero!

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

coolhand10th
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Warning There is a VRM PROBLEM -- Protect yourself 2016/11/01 10:45:54 (permalink)

This one here:

May I ask what the shipping date on your card was? Just saw the article on Yahoo about this and my shipping date was 6-17 so kinda concerned mine is part of it. I have a backup card so losing it for 2 weeks is ok as long as it gets fixed.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile