EVGA

AnsweredVery recent GTX 1070ti SC ACX 3.0 issues as of last 2 weeks/Not working games or benchmark

Author
butters33333
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/01/26 09:05:43 (permalink)
To start my build is relatively new(Nov. 2019)
Specs:
MSI MEG ACE Z390
Intel I7 9700k
G.Skill Trident GDDR4 16GB RAM(2x8gb sticks)
EVGA G3 850W PSU
EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 TI SC(Stock fans)
ACER 144hz monitor
Noctua NH-D15(dual fan) CPU air cooler
Samsung M.2 2280 SSD 500GB(Windows 10 installed)
Seagate Baracuda 2TB HDD(gaming library)
Windows 10

Backstory:
So after the initial build and stress testing everything was running fine. I had configured a stable 5.0Ghz overclock on all cores and successfully ran Prime95/Heaven benchmark/Cinebench without crashing so I installed all games and other apps from there(Steam/Origin and their respective libraries). I will add that for my 2TB HDD i only have about 45gb space left(just a note) and roughly 200gb free space on the M.2 SSD.

After I got everything installed I was gaming happily setting most everything to ULTRA(with the exception of GTA 5 I played around with the settings on that as the graphics menus show GPU memory usage but eventually even got that stable running on a very high setting). Nothing was crashing and once again pretty much everything was running on Ultra. Fast forward a couple months to about 2 weeks ago(I don't have a specific issue starting date as I only game for a short time on the weekends due to life.) I remember doing a windows update and also an NVIDIA driver update  somewhere in that time frame. I started having issues with basically everything that runs DirectX which is basically gaming. I can no longer run Heaven benchmark as it crashes immediately when it starts to run and gives me an error along the lines of the the Direct3d device was removed or stopped working.

I will go ahead and mention that with the exception of the GPU(purchased on Ebay, it was an RMA card that seller never used as he updated hardware in the wait process, although under visual inspection and initial testing performed flawlessly) EVERYTHING in my build is brand new. 

I have deep dived the internets for the past 24hrs and haven't found a solution that has worked yet.

Troubleshooting steps I've taken so far:

- Used DDU to uninstall and cleanly install the most recent 441.87 driver as well as the previous 441.46 versions to no avail. I have done serveral combinations of this with new and uninstalled windows 10 updates from January.
- I have used MSI afterburner to change the GPU fan curve so that the fans kick in at 100% way faster to rule out GPU overheating although as stated previously, it has had no issues up until the past 2 weeks.
- Installed and flashed the latest BIOS from MSI for my MoBo which additionally reset my CPU overclock. This I would hope would rule out a somehow unstable CPU overclock affecting GPU performance somehow.
-Installed and used Driver Booster 7 to ensure other system drivers are up to date and updated everything requried.
-Uninstalled the previous Windows 10 updates from 1/25, and 1/18/2020.
-Tested CPU temps when crashes occur. CPU never gets hotter than around 65 C.
-Ensured Display port cable firmly plugged into monitor and GPU.
-Cinebench running fine at stock CPU speeds and temps not going above 65 C.
-Disabled the steam in game overlay.
-Disabled the GeForce experience in game overlay.
- I can play 4k youtube videos no problem. 
-Tried forcing certain steam games to run in DX10 using launch codes but that didn't work either.

I believe with the steps I've taken and what research I've done that it seems to narrow things down to the GPU or the PSU however since windows 10 did recently have an update I don't know if I can rule that out either. I'm banging my head against the desk as I'm a little over $2,000 on this build and thought I had it nailed. Took my time and did months of research and how to vids on the build to ensure I safely navigated away from any install errors. And once again everything was working PERFECTLY until a little over a week ago. There have been no sudden power outages or surges at my residence and I turn the PC off everytime when I finish.

Serious good karma to someone that can help me navigate this issue as I am at a complete loss.

Thanks for any help given!!!

Edit 1: Just ran Memtest64, 8 loops and no errors.
post edited by butters33333 - 2020/01/26 09:20:02
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Very recent GTX 1070ti SC ACX 3.0 issues as of last 2 weeks/Not working games or bench 2020/01/26 09:21:36 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby butters33333 2020/01/26 10:14:32
Set the core and memory clock sliders in msi afterburner to max negative values. Apply those settings and retest for the issue.
butters33333
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Very recent GTX 1070ti SC ACX 3.0 issues as of last 2 weeks/Not working games or bench 2020/01/26 10:14:28 (permalink)
Don't know what I did to deserve the good fortune of an instant fix on the first response but THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Now could you explain what on earth happened? I never even Oc'd the GPU in afterburner and also with everything all the way lowered what does this mean for performance loss if any?

Also should I be good to go ahead and update windows 10 again as well as download the newest GPU Driver?
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Very recent GTX 1070ti SC ACX 3.0 issues as of last 2 weeks/Not working games or bench 2020/01/26 13:30:35 (permalink)
It pretty much means the gpu needs to be rma'd as it's faulty. Yes, you'll definitely be losing performance with the card underclocked, and it's only a temp fix as the card will continue to get worse overtime. Yes, you can update windows 10 and the graphics driver.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile