Supernova 750W G2 VGA Split cable to 2 x 8-pin

Author
swifteagle
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/08/03 22:11:26 (permalink)
Hi Everyone,

I bought two SuperNova 750W G2 power supplies hoping to power a Vega mining rig. The issue is that each Vega requires 2x 8 pin cable and I have 5 Vegas... With the 2 power supplies, I can only power 4. I have used Corsair in the past and they provide a split cable that is 8-pin to 2x 6+2 pin.. 

The whole rig with the 5 vegas uses 970 watts at the wall...

Can I use one of those Split cables to power two cards?  I experimented earlier on another rig with rx 470s and I connected the one Corsair split cable to EVGA and was able to run 2 RX 470 from that port for about 2 hours without a problem... I can see that the Corsair cable has thicker gauge cables, it didn't fit perfectly in the back of the EVGA PSU... 

I have been running two Rx 470s per split cable with the Corsair for nearly a year without an issue, can the EVGA do it? I am only concerned that EVGA didn't supply the cables and maybe the GPU can't handle it. Corsair 750w also includes split cables.

So will this burn out the PSU? or burn the cables?  Or am I good to do this?

I would really appreciate your help, many thanks!

Attached Image(s)

8 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Supernova 750W G2 VGA Split cable to 2 x 8-pin 2018/08/04 00:11:54 (permalink)
    Using cables from the corsair psu on your evga psu isn't a smart idea. Buy proper cables.
    swifteagle
    Re: Supernova 750W G2 VGA Split cable to 2 x 8-pin 2018/08/04 01:29:24 (permalink)
    @Sajin,

It was just for a test, I agree with you...  I still would like to know, if I were to use the correct EVGA cable, would I have any issue connecting two GPUs (rx 470s) or one Vega from the single port?

Thanks!

swifteagle
    Re: Supernova 750W G2 VGA Split cable to 2 x 8-pin 2018/08/04 02:40:03 (permalink)
    I was thinking of using one of these. Suggestions, please....

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Supernova 750W G2 VGA Split cable to 2 x 8-pin 2018/08/04 04:51:58 (permalink)
    Weakest link sort of question ---> everything in "that circuit" Must support the Wattage you could pull

Even with same brand PSU ---> Never mix cables between PSU --> until you Confirm they are Wired the Same --- or you let the magic smoke out

Different PSUs have different pin-outs ---> that are "corrected" for industrial standard connection at the hardware side of the cable

Even if that is a PCIe slitter & (not a CPU EPS) ---> I personally would never use it.

What is the Max Watts of Each card ? What size is that wire Ga ?

There are some PCIe cable with two connectors, they are not as good as two seperate cable if your are OC the GPU

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Supernova 750W G2 VGA Split cable to 2 x 8-pin 2018/08/04 04:52:57 (permalink)
    Moving to the Crypto section of Forums, those folks may have some advice

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Supernova 750W G2 VGA Split cable to 2 x 8-pin 2018/08/04 15:02:16 (permalink)
    swifteagle
    @Sajin,

It was just for a test, I agree with you...  I still would like to know, if I were to use the correct EVGA cable, would I have any issue connecting two GPUs (rx 470s) or one Vega from the single port?

Thanks!

Two rx 470's off a single cable? Yep, as long as you're running the cards at default settings it should be ok. A single 6-pin is rated at 75w, but has a maximum power-handling capability of 192w. Based on this review you'll be pulling 88.1 watts per card from the pci-e cable, and 54.9 watts per card from the motherboard pci-e slots, so your total power drawn would be 176.2w from just the pci-e cable alone, and 109.8w from the pci-e slots. PCI-E slots can provide a max of 75w each.

A single vega 56 off a single cable? Yep, it should be fine with the card running at default clocks on the secondary bios, and the turbo power profile selected. A single 8-pin is rated at 150w, but has a maximum power-handling capability of 288w. Based on this review you'll be pulling 18w from the motherboard pci-e slot, and 210.3 watts from the pci-e cable itself. 

A single vega 64 (air cooled) off a single cable? Yep, it should be fine with the card running at default clocks on the primary bios, and the balanced power profile selected. Based on this review you'll be pulling 24w from the motherboard pci-e slot, and 260.6 from the pci-e cable itself.

Note: For safety purposes I would recommend using separate cables for each gpu as the last thing you would want to do would be to fry your hardware from running things over spec.
    swifteagle
    Re: Supernova 750W G2 VGA Split cable to 2 x 8-pin 2018/08/05 23:00:35 (permalink)
    Sajin
    swifteagle
    @Sajin,

Thanks!

Two rx 470's off a single cable? Yep, as long as you're running the cards at default settings it should be ok. A single 6-pin is rated at 75w, but has a maximum power-handling capability of 192w. Based on  review you'll be pulling 88.1 watts per card from the pci-e cable, and 54.9 watts per card from the motherboard pci-e slots, so your total power drawn would be 176.2w from just the pci-e cable alone, and 109.8w from the pci-e slots. PCI-E slots can provide a max of 75w each.

A single vega 56 off a single cable? Yep, it should be fine with the card running at default clocks on the secondary bios, and the turbo power profile selected. A single 8-pin is rated at 150w, but has a maximum power-handling capability of 288w. Based on  review you'll be pulling 18w from the motherboard pci-e slot, and 210.3 watts from the pci-e cable itself. 

A single vega 64 (air cooled) off a single cable? Yep, it should be fine with the card running at default clocks on the primary bios, and the balanced power profile selected. Based on  review you'll be pulling 24w from the motherboard pci-e slot, and 260.6 from the pci-e cable itself.

Note: For safety purposes I would recommend using separate cables for each gpu as the last thing you would want to do would be to fry your hardware from running things over spec.

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with me, it is very much appreciated.

I read on another forum people saying that you can contact EVGA and that they would send you the cables for free, is that true?

Thank you
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Supernova 750W G2 VGA Split cable to 2 x 8-pin 2018/08/05 23:08:52 (permalink)
    No problem. I could see evga sending people cables for free if the unit was actually missing cables.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile