EVGA

Second-hand warranty questions

Author
onikett
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/06/14 14:09:24 (permalink)
Hello, I'm aware of the EVGA's new warranty policy on 2nd hand GPU (that 2nd hand buyer needing to show the original invoice to claim warranty). Now I have a few questions:

1. If a GPU is registered by someone(original buyer or 2nd hand buyer) under his evga username, and then sells the card to someone else, will the LAST buyer have any problem when claiming warranty as the card was not registered from his account?? (assume the last buyer does have the original invoice)

2. If the invoice is uploaded from "Invoice Upload" option by someone (original buyer or 2nd hand buyer) under his evga username, and then sells the card to someone else, will the LAST buyer have any problem when claiming warranty as the invoice was not uploaded originally from his account??

3. In Newegg invoice, I see that the GPU serial no. is not mentioned. So when providing the original invoice as part of the RMA claim or uploading it from "Invoice Upload", how will evga know if the invoice corresponds to the GPU in question??

Thanks in advance.

23 Replies Related Threads

EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/06/14 15:01:52 (permalink)
    Hi onikett,

There is a little confusion over the invoice portion of the secondhand warranty.  Let me clear up a few things.

1.  We don't need the original owner's invoice, but we do need your invoice/proof-of-purchase from your purchase from the previous owner.  Any other purchasers should have no issues with registering the card or uploading an invoice.

2. The invoice is uploaded to a member's account; it's not directly linked on the product itself.  So, subsequent owners (and previous owners) won't suddenly see their invoice disappear if someone else registers the card.

3.  Magic.  No, seriously, we can check with Newegg to verify invoices, as well as know where we shipped the original card.  Coupled with information in our serial numbers, it's usually pretty easy to tell if there will be a problem.
    onikett
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/06/14 16:54:16 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM, thanks for your prompt reply. I need clarification on some other things specially the first point below:

1. According to you, the 2nd hand purchase receipt is enough. But here (https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2825695) multiple EVGA representatives are explicitly saying that original invoice from original buyer is needed. Please clear the ambiguity.

2. I deduce from your reply that same card can be registered by multiple users. Right?

3.  Assuming the original invoice is not needed, and the buyer provides a 2nd hand invoice, how would EVGA confirm that card corresponds to the provided invoice. I.e. I bought a 2nd hand card from Amazon 3rd party seller and has the 2nd-hand receipt. After contacting with the seller, they gave me the original invoice too which happens to be from Newegg. Now if I provide you the only the 2nd hand invoice, I guess you would have no way to verify if the gpu is bound to that 2nd-hand invoice. Because from the card S/N you only can extract the info on when and where it was bought from the first time. Or am I missing something?
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/06/14 17:33:43 (permalink)
    onikett
    EVGATech_LeeM, thanks for your prompt reply. I need clarification on some other things specially the first point below:

1. According to you, the 2nd hand purchase receipt is enough. But here (https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2825695) multiple EVGA representatives are explicitly saying that original invoice from original buyer is needed. Please clear the ambiguity.

2. I deduce from your reply that same card can be registered by multiple users. Right?

3.  Assuming the original invoice is not needed, and the buyer provides a 2nd hand invoice, how would EVGA confirm that card corresponds to the provided invoice. I.e. I bought a 2nd hand card from Amazon 3rd party seller and has the 2nd-hand receipt. After contacting with the seller, they gave me the original invoice too which happens to be from Newegg. Now if I provide you the only the 2nd hand invoice, I guess you would have no way to verify if the gpu is bound to that 2nd-hand invoice. Because from the card S/N you only can extract the info on when and where it was bought from the first time. Or am I missing something?

1.  As I noted, there has been some confusion over that, and we're clarifying this policy to everyone internally as well so that everyone is on the same page (which may take an extra day or two).  There will likely be a few posts that remain with incorrect information. 

2.  Yes, as has been the case since 2011.

3.  I think you're overthinking things.  For original owners, the proof of purchase required isn't to match a specific serial number to a card; it's to prove that you purchased the product from an authorized reseller on a specific date.  For secondhand owners, we still require an invoice showing proof of purchase, but rather than the original invoice, we are only asking for the purchase that led to you owning the card. 
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/06/14 20:17:52 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM

There is a little confusion over the invoice portion of the secondhand warranty.  Let me clear up a few things.

1.  We don't need the original owner's invoice, but we do need your invoice/proof-of-purchase from your purchase from the previous owner.  Any other purchasers should have no issues with registering the card or uploading an invoice.

Lots of confusing going around about what is valid proof of purchase. EVGA employee JeffP told me it's always been defined by evga where to buy page, as in the only invoice that are valid, must come from an authorized reseller.

I think evga management should make a sticky posts to clear things up, once they have all employee's and forum moderators on the same page.

EVGA_Lee
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/06/15 09:15:21 (permalink)
    MSim
    [...]

I think evga management should make a sticky posts to clear things up, once they have all employee's and forum moderators on the same page.

That's the plan. 
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/06/28 10:02:38 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    MSim
    [...]

That's the plan. 

Any update on evga management making a sticky post clearing things up?

EVGA_Lee
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/06/28 14:50:53 (permalink)
    MSim
    EVGATech_LeeM
    MSim
    [...]

That's the plan. 

No update.  That's still the plan.
    AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/07/01 08:44:26 (permalink)
    Would love to know how this works as I'd like to sell my evga 1080 classified soon and this confusion will scare away anyone from buying it.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/07/01 09:57:49 (permalink)
    And also how will a 2nd hand invoice tell evga that the first buyer got it from a authorized seller?
    2nd hand invoice would state that the 2nd guy bought it off a dude on a forum/local craigslist or ebay/Amazon from the first buyer.

Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/07/02 09:20:25 (permalink)
    AHowes
    Would love to know how this works as I'd like to sell my evga 1080 classified soon and this confusion will scare away anyone from buying it.

As the seller, it's pretty easy.  Make sure the buyer has some record of the transaction, and upload that as his or her proof of purchase.  If he or she buys the card from you on PayPal, for example, the buyer just needs to screenshot the PayPal invoice showing he bought an item from you.  Preferably, there will be notes of what was purchased, but otherwise, that's what we expect.

AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/07/02 09:42:41 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    AHowes

As the seller, it's pretty easy.  Make sure the buyer has some record of the transaction, and upload that as his or her proof of purchase.  If he or she buys the card from you on PayPal, for example, the buyer just needs to screenshot the PayPal invoice showing he bought an item from you.  Preferably, there will be notes of what was purchased, but otherwise, that's what we expect.

So hopefully the original buyer registered the card so you can trace it back to them?

Just wondering how you guys figure out from the 2nd or 3rd buyer that the original buyer bought the card from an authorized seller?

EVGA_Lee
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/07/02 09:55:50 (permalink)
    AHowes
    EVGATech_LeeM
    AHowes

So hopefully the original buyer registered the card so you can trace it back to them?

Just wondering how you guys figure out from the 2nd or 3rd buyer that the original buyer bought the card from an authorized seller?

We only ask for the proof of purchase by the current owner to have a record of the sale - a proof of purchase.  But to follow your question down the rabbit hole...we have the data for where the original card shipped, so the original owner clearly would have purchased the product from an authorized reseller; that will never change.  If someone acquired the card later, it wouldn't matter, since that person would now be presumed a secondhand owner and would need to provide a proof of purchase from wherever the buyer obtained the product.  For a secondhand owner, it's generally unnecessary to determine where the product was first purchased. 
    AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/07/02 10:27:12 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    AHowes
    EVGATech_LeeM
    AHowes

We only ask for the proof of purchase by the current owner to have a record of the sale - a proof of purchase.  But to follow your question down the rabbit hole...we have the data for where the original card shipped, so the original owner clearly would have purchased the product from an authorized reseller; that will never change.  If someone acquired the card later, it wouldn't matter, since that person would now be presumed a secondhand owner and would need to provide a proof of purchase from wherever the buyer obtained the product.  For a secondhand owner, it's generally unnecessary to determine where the product was first purchased. 

Ok thanks.. that clear that up for me.

uyarsam
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/07/02 16:52:07 (permalink)
    Hi to everybody. I am new here an I want to add one more question.
    I take my own case as an exemple:
    Does being the second/third/... owner of a product that was neither opened nor registered does change something to all that has been said here?
    Do screenshots from ebay purchase history + paypal payment's screenshot will be enough to register a product?
    I do not see anything mentioning the name of the previous/first owner or the seller (we can also suppose that the first buyer is not the current seller...) on the related to this transaction on ebay and Paypal. Just have an ebay username and a Paypal address. There is something strange on Paypal which show that the payment is sent to "null" where it usually states the name of the account owner: but that is another problem to clarify with PP. So does this matter?

Note that I live in France and the package is supposed to come from the United States according to the ebay listing.

Thanks in advance for anyone replying to this. Hope to see You soon for other reasons when I will have this card in my hands! Just hoping that this is not a well done scam... Bye

Edit: just looking deeper into pages and threads are enough. THE ANSWER IS HERE:  thanks to @EVGATech_AdamB and @Sajin
    post edited by uyarsam - 2018/07/02 17:01:53

In build:
    Dark Base PRO 900 -PSU cover; usb type-c, improved airflow
    Maximus X Hero Wi-Fi AC
    Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000 
    8700K OR 8086K
    Silent loop 280 - p/p fans*
    G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4*8GB 3733 C17
    Alseye C-RAM
    970 EVO M.2 1TB 
    Toshiba P300 3TB
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid -p/p Corsair ML120 Pro -maybe 240 rad mod
    *to buy 7x: SWings 3 High S PWM 140 or ML140 Pro or NF-A14 iPPC 2k
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/07/02 17:03:00 (permalink)
    No, it doesn't change anything.  Owners are either original owners, with a limited set of additional benefits that come with being the original owner, or they are secondhand owners, which do not have access to some features, such as Step-Up, EAR (both US and EU varieties), or extended warranties. 

You may register the product without a proof of purchase; the proof of purchase is only necessary if you need to claim warranty support.  In other cases, original owners will need a proof of purchase to participate in certain sweepstakes, which we occasionally run as promotions.

We do not need the current owner to track down information on the original owner or previous owners.  There would probably be some privacy issues involved, lol.  We are only looking for the proof of purchase between the current seller and new buyer.  If there's an issue with the way the proof of purchase prints out, or something along those lines, feel free to upload the proof of purchase first and ask us to we can review it. 
    uyarsam
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/07/02 19:24:19 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    No, it doesn't change anything.  Owners are either original owners, with a limited set of additional benefits that come with being the original owner, or they are secondhand owners, which do not have access to some features, such as Step-Up, EAR (both US and EU varieties), or extended warranties. 

You may register the product without a proof of purchase; the proof of purchase is only necessary if you need to claim warranty support.  In other cases, original owners will need a proof of purchase to participate in certain sweepstakes, which we occasionally run as promotions.

We do not need the current owner to track down information on the original owner or previous owners.  There would probably be some privacy issues involved, lol.  We are only looking for the proof of purchase between the current seller and new buyer.  If there's an issue with the way the proof of purchase prints out, or something along those lines, feel free to upload the proof of purchase first and ask us to we can review it. 

Good proposal! It would be safer to let You check if something is wrong. See the red circle in the third screenshot:

You may also review the listing itself:

Except the fact that -strangely- some informations are in German, that detailed description is for the SC2 and that it's the first sell of this regularly active ebayer since 2005 (but I never sold anything too), everything else seems legit.

I'm a little skeptical about this transaction but it must be paranoia 

I can also provide the part number if anyone can check the remaining time of warranty on this card. Is it safe to post it publicly?

Edit: no links for newbies' posts! :D I will send them to You @EVGATech_LeeM in PM.
    Edit: no PM too... I'm stuck! lol
    post edited by uyarsam - 2018/07/02 19:31:07

In build:
    Dark Base PRO 900 -PSU cover; usb type-c, improved airflow
    Maximus X Hero Wi-Fi AC
    Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000 
    8700K OR 8086K
    Silent loop 280 - p/p fans*
    G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4*8GB 3733 C17
    Alseye C-RAM
    970 EVO M.2 1TB 
    Toshiba P300 3TB
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid -p/p Corsair ML120 Pro -maybe 240 rad mod
    *to buy 7x: SWings 3 High S PWM 140 or ML140 Pro or NF-A14 iPPC 2k
    _JeffP
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 652
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/07/02 21:17:38 (permalink)
    uyarsam

Edit: no links for newbies' posts! :D I will send them to You @EVGATech_LeeM in PM.
    Edit: no PM too... I'm stuck! lol

You can always email supportEU@evga.com for assistance. 

Everything is security. 
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/07/23 01:47:31 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    MSim
    EVGATech_LeeM
    MSim
    [...]

That's the plan. 

No update.  That's still the plan.

Here we are 4 weeks later and still waiting.

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/08/01 03:27:26 (permalink)
    Another week and still they can't be bothered to make a sticky page to clear up the confusing they have created with the warranty term changes. 

EVGA_Lee
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/08/01 09:09:19 (permalink)
    Thank you for your continued interest, MSim.

Actually, I'm just waiting on some additional programming to be completed on the My Products page for original and secondhand owners before posting the FAQ.  That doesn't really qualify as a "can't be bothered" situation, however.  I appreciate your advocacy nonetheless.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/08/01 21:06:30 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    Thank you for your continued interest, MSim.

Actually, I'm just waiting on some additional programming to be completed on the My Products page for original and secondhand owners before posting the FAQ.  That doesn't really qualify as a "can't be bothered" situation, however.  I appreciate your advocacy nonetheless.

Thanks for the update. I didn't know you guys were doing additional programming. I was just pushing for a simple FAQ sticky post that everyone could look at to clear up the warranty terms confusion.
    post edited by MSim - 2018/08/15 09:11:09

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/08/21 16:28:17 (permalink)
    Any new update? it's been 3 weeks.

EVGA_Lee
    Re: Second-hand warranty questions 2018/08/21 16:45:28 (permalink)
    Hopefully, tomorrow.  We've been a bit busy lately with...things.

Edit:  Up now:  https://forums.evga.com/Original-and-Secondhand-Warranty-FAQ-m2848860.aspx
    post edited by EVGATech_LeeM - 2018/08/23 17:49:52
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile