Author
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 110
2012/08/16 15:40:22 (permalink)
Obutto R3Volution Cockpit

For North America buyers please visit...

Please note that I will be offering two reviews in one. The first is going to be the first few days impressions. The second will be after a few weeks or so. Think of it as the "Honeymoon has worn off" phase  

First things first. As a previous owner (20 months worth) of the Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit, my reflection may not be the same with the new R3Volution as it might be with a person who just purchased the R3Volution as their first Cockpit. Also, I did order the Flight Stick Mounting Kit, however I need to buy a new set of controls. I wore mine out and replacing that will happen later this year or next.

First impressions...

• The R3Volution is ROCK SOLID. Even when racing with it pretty hard. The strength of the design is a welcome feel and almost car like. Having the adjust-ability and solid feel... Well all my "Excuses" are gone... No longer is my Cockpit allowing flex or "Extra" movement when racing...
  • The R3Voltution is the first Gaming Cockpit that you can manipulate into what you need or want at any given time. Want to all out Flight Simulate? Done. Race? Done. Work on IT needs, or how about some Engineering Drafting, or do some Video Editing? Done, done and done. This is the first Gaming Cockpit that can truly work all day, and play all night. 
  • Comparing the R3Volution Cockpit vs. the oZone Gaming Cockpit is not an option. The R3volution is like fully loaded Yukon versus a Honda Civic. They both are needed and welcomed additions, yet are almost nothing alike.
  • The video instructions are very helpful. I did not use the very limited information picture version that came in the first box, and I did not go online to get the written ones either.
  • I had no bent parts or parts that did not fit correctly with one possible exception. The Pedal plate. The bolts provided are to short and I had to get a pair in order to bolt the rear portion that you may or may not want to bolt. Basically, I could barely bolt one side on, and the other bolt was no less than 1/2" from even reaching the Pedal Plate. Keeping in mind that I know the plate is not to touch the frame at all, but rather "Float" on the bolts. I used the longest bolts provided and they fell short as described above.
  • This kit, the Triple Screen kit and the Table top(s) kit does require a reasonable amount of time to assemble. 
  • It is perfectly clear in my mind that the Obutto R3Volution was designed and re-designed a few times. It is evident throughout the assembly process as you can imagine how they got to the decisions to do what they did. Mounting points... Angles... Size... The list goes on and on...
  • I forgot how stiff the chair is when new  Need to break this one in and quick!
  • The R3Volution is a few inches wider than the oZone Gaming Cockpit where it counts. The pedal area and that translates into a wider footprint for the front half. Specifically...
    • Gaming Cockpit Pedal area in the rear is 18" Wide, and slopes into only 13.75" wide at the inside bottom front frame points, measured at the bottom front of the frame area. 
    • The R3Volution is 21" wide all the way through at the bottom and 17.5" at the top and gives the R3Volution a "Full size" feel...
  • I am beyond pleased with the articulating... Well everything!
  • The new Triple Monitor Accessory... I like the product. A bit of a challenge to work with if you rush during assembly, but well built and easy to use. One feature I rather enjoy with this type of a Triple Monitor feature (beyond the adjust-ability and monitor size you can mount, oh and strength!) is the arms themselves. Because each Monitor of the three works independently of any other monitor, it allows me to gain easier access to my Computer/wires etc. I simply maneuver the monitor I need out of the way and wallah. Access to what I need. This is a really big deal to me. I am always "Tweaking" my computer or adding new components and so on. Not having to drag the entire Cockpit out of the way to do that makes my life a lot easier. 
  • The size of the keyboard tray is about 20% or so larger (Did not measure it) in depth and width than the oZone Cockpit has. This is welcomed. I always seemed to need another two or three inches for my keyboard placement. However, this need very well could have been solved with the R3Volutions articulating arms.  Regardless The change is a welcomed one for me.
  • The tables, while a welcomed item for daily activities, will get some getting used to. They seem a bit to high for my taste. Measuring only 4" from it to the bottom of one of my monitors...
  • The steering wheel mount is superior to any I have ever used. When I mounted my new G27 kit, it was a pleasure to see the wires disappear into the area they provided to help hide the wires. I even used this exterior area to zip-tie the Power Supply to the G27 kit.
  • Love the Cup Holder. I am going to switch it to my left side though. I keep hitting it as I get in and out of the seat.
  • The adjustments points that they integrated into the R3Volution is well thought out and extremely helpful.
Nit picky items, because nothing is perfect; Disappointments/Head Scratchers...
  • I was looking forward to hiding my wires. While this can happen to a point. It falls short overall.
  • Grab a can of Flat Black spray paint. You will need it if you are nit picky as you assemble, things get scratched. During shipping, things get scratched.
  • Why 108lbs of parts are in one box just loose without some kind of peanuts or something taking up the air space. Or even make two boxes out of the one massive one. Long parts in one, smaller to medium in the other. 108lbs is pushing the limits a bit in my mind. 
  • The tables could easily be larger. Not just in depth but width. And not to discourage anyone, as we all have various opinions... I am considering making my own to mount to the articulating arms that comes in the kit... These are just to small to be of any value to me. Just place a single "Letter" size document on either, length wise, almost no room left for anything other than a few business cards or pens.
High Five/Chest Pump items...
  • Flexibility that is built in where it is needed. Without actually using the R3Volution Cockpit, this one might be hard to interpret. However I will try... Bottom line. There is so much adjust-ability in this R3Volution Cockpit that it would be pretty had to not find the "Perfect" placement/position for the task you are doing at any given time. And as a result of all this flexibility, going from one task to another is easier than ever.
  • The R3Volution Cockpit has a perfect balance in overall size. While just a handful of inches wider than the oZone is (Not counting the monitor stand mind you), this increase makes a significant change in everything the Cockpit offers. Not only is it very roomy, it helps create an increase in stability overall. This means even when the user is moving around, the R3Volution Cockpit stays planted.
  • Now on to the Free-Floating Monitor Stand. This is really close to being the number one single most important improvement. At this moment though the overall comfort is winning that race, but time will tell. Anyway... Having the Monitor(s) on their own frame has several advantages.
    1. Any movement caused by the user and or even the gaming activity at that time, has ZERO impact on the monitors.
    2. Depth adjustment is endless. Think about this one for a moment. Say you are using a 23" monitor. Well you need to be a bit closer to it than say a 42" one mounted to the Cockpit (If one so chose to do so). Previously we had no way to get closer or farther away from the screen when mounted to the Cockpit itself, well beyond the seat of course. But that has limits as well depending on the task at the moment. Now in the real world, I have seen most users with oZone Cockpits do not mount the larger (Say 40" and up) TV's/monitors on the cockpit itself. Although those with 30" screens and smaller do. My point to this. With the R3Volution Cockpit we no longer have to sacrifice depth for usability. The new free-floating monitor stand allows us to mount nearly all monitor/TV's on the market today and place them however close we would like to our eyes. 
  • The Steering Wheel mount/assembly is rock solid and makes SIM racing fun again! Not to mention the adjust-ability it has. I made a few adjustments to it as I played with it the first time. It truly is as flexible and strong as most new cars are that have tilt/telescoping ability. Gone are the days of modifying our own so we can at least be somewhat comfortable. Also gone are the "Take it or leave it" days of those units that have little to no adjustment. Now multiple users can find the angles/distance that best fits their needs.
  • We finally have a Cockpit that can work all day and play all night. While I do understand this will not be for everyone... For me and many that work with computers all day will find this is a well built and frankly better built than most high dollar desks we buy in our businesses. I had one I spent $3000 on for a warehouse environment, that only survived about three years before we scrapped it. The R3Volution Cockpit, because of it's construction and material, would easily live 5+ years in the same environment. For significantly less!

Review...

The Obutto R3Volution is the first Cockpit that I would officially say can and does have a true multi function design that works. The R3Volution easily goes from work mode to pleasure mode. No longer are arms, or tray(s), or the pedals, or even the steering wheel in the way to do different functions (Excluding the Flight Stick as I have not yet tried this). 

Chris Dunagan (Designer/Owner/Creator) and his quote "Co-Conspirator"  listened to their users and others in the industry to create, at this time, the perfect solution to all day computer users that enjoy any type of computer gaming as their primary hobby/enjoyment/entertainment.

Oh and before I forget, as I have been sworn to secrecy (Really, no joke, and no I will not tell you )... More surprises are in development for the R3Volution from Obutto. Keep an eye on the Main Performance PC website for US buyers as the details come in down the road.

One item I want to mentions right away. My size. I am 6'2" 225lbs with broad shoulders and long legs. The R3Volution Cockpit  ($699) fits me nicely (Almost perfectly). The extra three inches in width with the nearly unlimited adjustability that the R3Volution has compared to the oZone Gaming Cockpit ($399) makes a significant change to the overall comfort of the cockpit. 

One item I want to try and inform folks on with this review at first... The function of the R3Volution Cockpit without focusing any gaming or work. Just the cockpit itself. 

Who ever had the idea of separating the monitor(s) from the main unit/cockpit needs either a pay raise of significant proportions or at least some kind of recognition. This single idea has taken the "Cockpit" from an expensive toy to a functional tool. I am not saying that to be dramatic or whatever. This is actually something that I wanted to do to my oZone Gaming Cockpit but never made time to do it. Only my design was from the ceiling to the floor and mount the monitor mounts to these new supports. 

You see... The one main issue I have with the oZone Gaming Cockpit was that I had nearly no adjust-ability for the monitors. Yes we have up and down... However the mounts forward and aft are solid/fixed. Add to this that the mounts are then a part of the Cockpit itself. And wallah... In your face monitor with no chance to create separation between you and the screen(s) beyond the seat adjustments. This means everyone of all heights and ages are stuck with a pretty tight range of distance.

Not only that. The pedal area was to small for my needs as I used the oZone Gaming Cockpit in my home office (I Co-Own a business with multiple locations, this is just my home office for those times I am away from one of our locations). I am constantly up and down for various needs and or tasks. Getting in and out of the oZone Gaming Cockpit became, while doable... Well it was wearing on me in a negative fashion. And frankly I could not get the R3Volution to my home fast enough. The R3Volution solved most of this as I can now swing my feet and legs out, where before I had to do kind of a tuck and turn to get out. Not having the Steering wheel and small space to contend with offers a greatly improved maneuverability for me. 

Let's go back to the size of the R3Volution Cockpit. We now know it fits a wider range of individuals. Yet I still haven't gone over another important item. The depth...

With the Monitor(s) having their very own stand, we can find the perfect place for our seat and still move the Cockpit to any distance from the screens. This is HUGE. Those that never mounted their screens to the oZone Gaming Cockpit and just used the Cockpit to slide up to where they had their big screen mounted had the advantage that the R3Volution now offers to everyone with this flexibility. Having the ability to  make separation from your screen(s) in my opinion is as personal as a persons choice of clothing they wear. Will all need this or even notice? Not sure about that. With the R3Volution Cockpit, having the flexibility to move the monitor stand to the personal preferred location allows for the seat to be better positioned. Here is what I mean...

The seat on both Cockpits are in their furthest back positions. Bolt holes and slider. With the R3Volution I have 16" between me and the Steering Wheel that is in its lowest (Furthest away form me) setting. On the oZone Gaming Cockpit this was 12". It is amazing how that four inches makes such a big difference in daily functions and overall feel of the Cockpit. Here is why this is such a big deal to me. As I type this, I am using the R3Volution Cockpit. The pedals are reachable with my feet if I stretch and the keyboard is 7" from me. The Steering Wheel has ZERO intrusion and I am 100% comfortable. I have the Keyboard tray set for my ergonomic settings I find to be of most comfort for my needs. Now... With the oZone Gaming Cockpit, in order for me to be in a position close to this... My feet have been "On" the pedals without stretching (BTW both are at the furthest forward position, feet being forward, seat being rear/back) and I had to remove the steering wheel to type. Not to mention how much of an inconvenience it was to get in and out with the Steering Wheel mounted on the Gaming Cockpit... With the R3Volution it is a breeze.

The Steering Wheel Mount that slides in and out of the Frame, and allows us to hide wired in it. Could not be happier. I would like to see this as an Accessory option later on for quick mounting of other items. Like between a Steering Wheel to a Monitor for when using a Flight Simulator. Anyway, LOVE the movement and adjust-ability. Nearly as good as any Telescoping/tilting unit in a car. I found my sweet spot very quickly...

I enjoy this as well. When Sim Racing... I slide my seat up to reach the pedals and adjust my Steering Wheel to fit my needs. And go racing. Now when I am done... I slide back my seat (All the way BTW) Drop the Steering Wheel down (About 1.5") and pull the keyboard back in front of me. Takes maybe 30 seconds and I am in a completely different setup. Cannot say enough about the room and usability factor...

Now about the Keyboard tray. The R3Volution has a much larger unit than the oZone Gaming unit had. This is welcomed for me. Example.. I could easily fully use one mouse on either side of my keyboard (Full size Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger) and have a couple of inches forward and aft for placement of every wrist pad I have seen or used.

Obutto announced that they improved the seat for the R3Volution Cockpit. From where I sit the Straps feel a bit more comfortable that the original "Metal wire/spring" they use in the oZone Gaming Cockpit. I do know I need to break in the seat, and still feel the need to mention how stiff the set is. That said, I much prefer this improved seat over the original. I am on the broader size and found the original seat to force my legs together because I sat "In" the seat deeper. And the Metal support bars built in these true car racing seats gave me no choice. Well now that these straps are in the seat I sit more comfortably and my legs are in a more relaxed position. I still feel the metal bars offering support mind you. Just not forced. I mean after all... As real as we want our gaming to be, we are still sitting in a climate controlled environment and it is highly unlikely that we will "Ever" need the side supports in this environment. No matter how hard the Devs try .

Simply put... The R3Volution Cockpit is like a fully loaded Yukon Denali and the Gaming Cockpit is the Honda Civic. Both fit a need and have value, both will find different followers/users.   

I could put that another way as well. The oZone Gaming Cockpit is for kids to young adults or causal users. The R3Volution Cockpit is for Adults and Professionals. 

Finally, a cockpit that is ready for daily use and not cost more than my first car did 24+ years ago... 

Components used with the R3Volution Cockpit during review; Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger | RAT 7 | Logitech G27 | Corsair 800D | X58 Classified3 E770 | i920 W/EK Sup | 12GB 1600 Mush Enh Silverline | 5760x1200 SLI EVGA GTX680 2G HC | 3x ASUS VW266H | SR-2 1200w PSU

Obutto R3Volu...table kit

Obutto R3Volu...r view -1

Obutto R3Volu...ing wheel

P.S..... Very nice cup holder is included... It is in the "Mystery box" (unmarked about 7"x5"x3"). My initial impression, the cup holder setup itself is VERY well built...
2012-08-16 15.33.29 -01

Attached Image(s)

100 Replies Related Threads

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/16 15:40:29 (permalink)
    Here is a collections of assembly tips/thoughts...

• List of Assembly Videos http://www.obutto.com/r3v_assembly_videos.html.
    • Previewing the instructions is a good idea for those that purchased accessories.
    • Nearly all bolts us a 6mm Allen Wrench.
    • Wrench or socket needed for the Nuts are13mm.
    • In Video #1 it is mentions the main frame flanges are possibly to tight with the Runners (Box #2). My kit was snug, not tight. Perfect fit in my opinion. Leads me to believe they corrected this concern and or I simply received one of the most recent production versions.
    • **Take note** The time you need to assemble this is at least double that of the Original Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit. While not mind blowing, this comes with the territory when you invest in a well engineered tool. Yes, I just called the R3Volution a Tool. 
    • In the video regarding the Monitor stand... I tried the lower setting that Chris provided as an example he uses... And this was not for me! The monitors (Did not measure this) had maybe 1" from hitting the Table(s). Not to mention I was looking down to the screens and the Steering wheel blocked 40% of the screen . With this in mind... I pushed the bars that the Monitor Mount mounts to all the way to the bottom of the stand. I suggest mounting only one monitor at first, and not adding any nuts or bolts to the two that holds the Monitor Mount to the frame. Just slide the bolts in for safety, mount your monitor, sit and see what you think. 
      • And this... Please take Chris's advice with regards to the triple monitor mounts and those pesky shafts that keep the arms straight at the joints. I fought with this for about 30 moments as one was pretty stubborn, however looked fine to my eyes when I decided to not do more than look at it, at first. Chris recommends we work them, I chose not to and mounted them and the monitors... Bad idea...
    • I tried the Drink holder on the right side, kept hitting it with my foot... Moved it to the left side.
    • Tried the Keyboard tray arm in the bolt holes 5&6 (Counting from the front first hole) and was not pleased. Moved it to the 7th and eight holes (Also happens to be where I chose to place the second support bar for the seat frame) and could not be happier. It allows me to get in and out of my Cockpit faster without having to manipulate the arm as much. (See pic below)
    • As a way to reduce "Wire clutter" I mounted my Secondary Surge Protector Strip on the front/center/top (Front being where our feet are, rear being chair) monitor support bar. I ran my G27 power and all three monitors to this and now only have "One" wire that runs to my UPS... This hides about 25% of all the wiring and at least half of the bulk behind the Monitor(s) and complements the R3Volution. (See pic below)
    • I set my Pedal Tray to the furthest front position. I tried the first two available holes... Not for me. I am using the first bolt that also holds the frame to the leg. Man what a difference a few inched made! This setting is where I am offering my review thoughts from. After positioning the Pedal Tray to the most forward position.
    • For triple screen users... I suggest placing the outer two "Center" bolt that adjusts the fine tuning ups/downs of a mounted monitor to the lower third of the adjustments allowed. Not the center as suggested in the video. You may need the little extra to make the monitors flush as they are on the most outer point, with the most weight transfer. No matter how they designed this set, it will sag if you are running 24" or larger monitors. I am running 25.5" (Actual diagonal screen size) ASUS units.

Obutto R3Volu...wer Strip

Obutto R3Volu...r G27 (1)

R3Volution le...ations -1

Ideas or room for improvements...

Table tops: 

They need to be bigger. I would suggest 4-6" on the sides closest to the Center Channel and at least 4" deeper. Even if it was an option to the kit, I would buy them. Now not having them in hand to see the difference might make an inventory headache. I plan to build mind for now out of Store Bought Plexiglas... 

Keyboard/Flight Stick mounts:

The one suggestion I have with this... The same rotating/articulating mounts that the Table Tops have. I find myself lowering the Keyboard tray onto my lap during heavy typing seasons, just to get the ergonomics closer to my needs. But that can create an uncomfortable situation for my legs over time. I would love to see these same mounts as at least an option for those willing to buy them. The problem may lie in the welding of the original mounts and will not allow this as an option without changing the design completely... 

Why with the Stick mounts as well? Easy. An addition LCD Screen mounting point. Endless possibilities then! Not to mention some folks have had surgery, or life situations, that create a "Fine tuning" need for their comfort. I think this would be a big deal for those in need. 

Monitor Stand:

I am very pleased with the stand. However, I do think for stability concerns around kids, in situations where folks can walk all around the unit, animals and an active working environment. That the Stands rear portion of the platform that sits on the ground, should be 4-6" longer (The portion closest to your seat). I do see more than enough room for this even with the monitors reasonably close to the Steering Wheel mount...

Speaker mounts:

Endless ideas. I think it is a good idea for Obutto to offer this as an option... 

I have offered these thoughts to Obutto, and Chris was (As he always has been) very receptive to them. Time will tell if they are good ones for the majority or not. 
    post edited by Afterburner - 2012/09/09 11:27:40

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/16 15:40:35 (permalink)

Top ten requested questions so far (Not in order how how many times)....   

1. Multi use(Home/Office and gaming)? Yes, within reason. If you met clients on a regular basis at your desk to conduct business with paperwork, no. Example... Some kind of Insurance Agent, or Chiropractor... Now if your "Desk" is really only used for yourself in any field, yes. Absolutely this is a workable if not perfectly suited for your desk. I think back in my youth, when learning ACAD... And thinking how much more work I could have gotten done in a seating position like the R3Volution offers over that hard flat... UGH!
    2. Triple monitor setup (Sag, adjustability). This is rather exceptional and well thought out. I know they have a tweak or two in the mix as I type this. However the setup I have is working out real well. Each of the three mounts have significant adjust-ability and articulation. Sagging is minimal, and the adjustments allowed in the design remove any sag on any monitor to the viewer (Please follow the directions and tips many owners are offering when assembling the triple monitor arms). I love this. Now all I have to do is swing one monitor out of the way to gain access to wires, or dog toys (Two labs) or even get to my computer. To me this is a significant improvement. As I am always "Tweaking" my gaming computer.  
    3. Keyboard/mouse positioning. Looking for a comfort zone that allows my long legs to be in a relaxed position. Unable to do this with my current "Gaming Cockpit" without my legs physically pressing up on the keyboard mount/support or moving sideways on the seat. This is actually the single biggest improvement for me when compared to all my previous "Cockpits" Even though this R3Volution is only nearly Four inches wider than the oZone I once used. This change makes the experience significantly improved overall. I am "Very" comfortable. Add the free floating monitor stand, all the adjust-ability/articulation offered by the R3Volution. And you have one of the most comfortable setups ever IMHO. That said. In me extended review I do have a suggestion or two where this can be improved even further...
    4. Split tables and their usefulness. For general use I find them to be adequate. I do really like the VESA mounting the offer, the vertical and horizontal moments are outstanding. I do have a suggestion one this item as well in my extended review.
    5. Foot pedal area, did they get it right this time? YES! As mentioned above, the new extra wide spacing, goes all the way to the front of the unit. Multiple mounting points, heights and size. They got it right!
    6. Overall spacing for the use. One of the claims made by Obutto is that this is aimed for the multi user. While similar to #1 above, the focus here is more about the uses of width and spacing built in for the user. In the past, most Cockpits have been engineered around a main idea, and then adapted to additional uses.  And like many things man made, they work great for a while, and then start to show their faults as time goes by after the "Newness" wears off. Boy. I could answer this with one word or One Thousand... I think I will go with this... The "Newness" for me has worn off. I have over 200 Hours in this Cockpit now. As a result I am confident in this statement. The Obotto R3Volution Cockpit is the first Cockpit to ever offer "Pure, uncompromising" functionality to every type of use offered to the enduser in the R3Volution. This Cockpit is ready for prime time. The sizing is perfect, and the articulation built in makes it possible for users of all shapes and sizes to find "Their" sweet spot...
    7. How well can we hide the unsightly cables? This is still work in process for me. The Cockpit does offer one channel to help in this process. However that is of no use for the Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers and Monitors. I use Velcro straps to hold the wires to the frame to give me serviceability and a clean look. Behind the monitors however this is still easy to accomplish. I even mounted a power strip on the backside with a few zip ties. This way only one power cord is seen going to the UPS.
    8. Speaker mounting? (The most received questionI mounted my Center Speaker to the "Center channel" (See picture in post # ). Beyond that, same old story. No mounting points without your own creativity and ability. Stay tuned to Obotto on this topic though. They have received a LOT of feedback on this and many other ideas. Chris with Obutto has stated that many of the ideas he has received in multiple facets of the R3Volution, they are experimenting with. Does that mean anything will happen? Cannot say. However because I have experienced firsthand how well Chris listens to his clients, I am looking forward to what he may do. 
    9. Stability. With the weight of the Monitor(s) now on their own stand, a few wonder just how stable the main unit will be. For a single monitor, it is rock solid. Can you make it fall over? Possibly, if it is big enough. Now going to triple monitors. It depends on how big and the position you place them in. I can, and have, pushed the entire unit while positioning them, and made them start to fall over. For daily use, nice and solid. I do have this item as another suggestion as well...
    10. Seat. Many of us that are 6'2"+ and broad shouldered like the seat as it is, but do crave a bit more width for long term use. Obutto says they did make a few minor cosmetic changes and a tweak to the springs and look forward to seeing/feeling those first hand. That said, a run down to your local Upholstery Shop and we can score any seat we want for a reasonable price. The new seat is the same size basically. And I am going to replace it. I am not overweight, I am however long legged and broad shoulders. So for me... If this cockpit was one that moved around when racing, I would leave it as it is and play hard. That said. This cockpit is not one that slams the user into the turn... I need one with about 2-3" more width in the hips and 3-4" in the shoulders so that I do not feel the chair pressing me into a smaller space. 

Underside of the new Obotto R3Volution seat...

R3Volution un... New Seat

post edited by Afterburner - 2012/09/09 11:30:51

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/17 19:56:51 (permalink)
    OK folks.. Small update. The R3Volution by Obutto is up and running.

I will be updating photos as I go and start answering the questions I have received and will receive. 

Please note that I will be offering two reviews in one. The first is going to be the first few days impressions. The second will be after a few weeks or so. Think of it as the "Honeymoon has worn off" phase 

Some quick notes.
    • This kit, the Triple Screen kit and the Table top(s) kit does require a reasonable amount of time to assemble. 
    • It is perfectly clear in my mind that the Obutto R3Volution was designed and re-designed a few times. It is evident throughout the assembly process as you can imagine how they got to the decisions to do what they did. Mounting points... Size... The list goes on and on...
    • I forgot how stiff the chair is when new 
    • The R3Volution Cockpit (Not the seat) is a few inches wider than the Gaming Cockpit. Give the R3Volution a "Full size" feel...
    • I am beyond pleased with the articulating... Well everything!

WuShu
    • Total Posts : 38
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/17 22:15:02 (permalink)
    Even a cup holder? That alone almost sells me on it. haha

Obutto Ozone cockpit, AMD Phenom II 3.0Ghz, EVGA 570 GTX
    Gigabyte MA790-UD4P, 8 GIG Corsair DDR2 800 :(
    raw2dogmeat
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 799
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/18 12:02:27 (permalink)
    I may be looking at my next toy..

Cooler Master Cosmos S
    I7 4930K @ 4.4 GHz
    Asus Rampage IV Black  
    4 x 4 gb G.SKill - 2133  9-11-10-28-2T

Corsair 1200w
    Sandisk Extreme II 240 gb (Windows 7, 64 bit) 
    Velociraptor 1 tb 
     (games) 
    980 Ti SLI

XSPC Raystorm - XSPC Razer - EK Rampage IV Black Edition blocks

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/19 07:24:02 (permalink)
    Just thought I would mention this... For the first time that I can remember... I am comfortable. I gamed for 6+ hours straight yesterday and had no discomfort. In fact the hours just went by. Normally I need to move around because the space is cramped. 

The R3Volution offers just the right amount of room to allow me to make small moves and remain comfortable. I plan on doing another round of gaming today and working with it all day tomorrow as I continue to test the R3Volution Cockpit...

anony-moose
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 637
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/19 12:19:55 (permalink)
    Haha! Nice! I *so* wish I could afford that beast. It's so awesome looking. The cup holder is the icing on the cake. So jealous
    defdude
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/19 20:00:01 (permalink)
    The second and third picture look too cool, really nice setup AB.

Everyone's the same,
    Everyone is so damaged and ashamed, damaged and afraid - innerpartysystem
    Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/19 20:59:55 (permalink)
    Thank you for your comments so far... Here is another little teaser as to some of the work I have done so far...

2012-08-19 16.29

Attached Image(s)

defdude
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/20 21:54:00 (permalink)
    Afterburner

Just thought I would mention this... For the first time that I can remember... I am comfortable. I gamed for 6+ hours straight yesterday and had no discomfort. In fact the hours just went by. Normally I need to move around because the space is cramped. 

The R3Volution offers just the right amount of room to allow me to make small moves and remain comfortable. I plan on doing another round of gaming today and working with it all day tomorrow as I continue to test the R3Volution Cockpit...

This is the stuff I really like to hear.

Everyone's the same,
    Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/21 06:46:00 (permalink)
    defdude

Afterburner

This is the stuff I really like to hear.

Any questions that you might have? This coming weekend I will be posting answers to the questions I have received... 

anony-moose
    SSC Member
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/21 07:10:14 (permalink)
    I have a question. What is that awesome wallpaper on the triple-monitor desktop background (the one with a vortex sucking up the planet)? I would love to find that image for my PC, scaled down for a single display.
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/21 08:19:11 (permalink)
    so the Revolution is not sand painted like its predecessor...well, I am dissapointed to hear that. Now the scratches will be more visible. Could Main PC Performance have the sand paint optional? That will be good.

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/21 09:33:09 (permalink)
    anony-moose

I have a question. What is that awesome wallpaper on the triple-monitor desktop background (the one with a vortex sucking up the planet)? I would love to find that image for my PC, scaled down for a single display.

I will hunt it down later this week. However, for your viewing pleasure in the meantime I present to you... http://www.gdefon.com/space/page/1

Edit... Found it!!  http://images4.alphacoders.com/174/174744.jpg
    post edited by Afterburner - 2012/08/21 09:44:21

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/21 10:09:42 (permalink)
    atfrico

so the Revolution is not sand painted like its predecessor...well, I am dissapointed to hear that. Now the scratches will be more visible. Could Main PC Performance have the sand paint optional? That will be good.

Sand painted?  Do you mean powder coated? The surface/coating is the exact same as my oZone was.

*Removed*   

That said, any time you have multiple metal pieces, protected or not, hitting each other during transport this will happen. 
    post edited by Afterburner - 2012/08/21 12:25:24

mikegmain88
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/21 12:04:40 (permalink)
    Afterburner

atfrico

Sand painted?  Do you mean powder coated? The surface/coating is the exact same as my oZone was.

*Removed*   

That said, any time you have multiple metal pieces, protected or not, hitting each other during transport this will happen. 

Hey AB,

Obutto is building the R3V themselves in their new factory, the older Obutto is still made in an outsourced factory.  The kinks in the R3V should be worked out soon enough...  I know they are already planning on packing it differently to prevent paint damage like you experienced.  Quick touchups with some Matte Black Spray Paint though and you are good to go ;-)
    post edited by Afterburner - 2012/08/21 12:25:58
    Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/21 12:18:56 (permalink)
    mikegmain88

Hey AB,

Obutto is building the R3V themselves in their new factory, the older Obutto is still made in an outsourced factory.  The kinks in the R3V should be worked out soon enough...  I know they are already planning on packing it differently to prevent paint damage like you experienced.  Quick touchups with some Matte Black Spray Paint though and you are good to go ;-)

Very good to know thank you Mike... Did I misunderstand the video on your site where Chris mentions his disapproval of the Vendor doing the Powder coating? 

I knew about their own folks building these (Pretty easy to control/implement changes this way ) but not the powder coating 

mikegmain88
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/21 12:21:23 (permalink)
    Afterburner

mikegmain88

Hey AB,

Very good to know thank you Mike... Did I misunderstand the video on your site where Chris mentions his disapproval of the Vendor doing the Powder coating? 

I knew about their own folks building these (Pretty easy to control/implement changes this way ) but not the powder coating 

Ahh...i think i remember him saying it was a worker at the factory that offered to do it or something.  It wasn't very good, so he's going to find someone else to do it.  I think the piping also is supposed to be getting acid washed or something to help protect it from rusting.
    Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/21 12:24:38 (permalink)
    mikegmain88

Afterburner

mikegmain88

Hey AB,

Ahh...i think i remember him saying it was a worker at the factory that offered to do it or something.  It wasn't very good, so he's going to find someone else to do it.  I think the piping also is supposed to be getting acid washed or something to help protect it from rusting.

aaaaaaah. I see. Thank you for clarifying... I will edit my post above accordingly... 

Mine had a tad bit of rust, fell out of the open ends of a few pipes. Just vacuumed it up and moved on. It is metal after all. And in a home no moister issues to worry about... Now in a warehouse without climate control.... Not sure how that would work out =]

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/21 13:12:03 (permalink)
    Afterburner

atfrico

*Removed*   

Powder coated that is what i meant what i was thinking
    The acid wash certainly is a big plus.  

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/21 20:58:44 (permalink)
    atfrico

Afterburner

atfrico

*Removed*   

Powder coated that is what i meant what i was thinking
    The acid wash certainly is a big plus.  

AH! Good, and yes =]

anony-moose
    SSC Member
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/22 07:02:15 (permalink)
    Afterburner

anony-moose

I will hunt it down later this week. However, for your viewing pleasure in the meantime I present to you... http://www.gdefon.com/space/page/1

Edit... Found it!!  http://images4.alphacoders.com/174/174744.jpg

Thanks a million! Looks even more awesome than I imagined. Just wish there was a way to scale it to 1920x1080 without messing up the aspect ratio, distorting/squishing the image or having to crop out parts of the image. Maybe I will one day be able to rock a 3-monitor setup myself LOL
    ILikeBeans
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3429
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/22 16:14:14 (permalink)
    Nice AB! wow what a review! so, I know you are getting into more driving sims and just thought I might post a few links to some good news sites for sims:
    http://www.virtualr.net/
    http://www.simnewsdaily.com/
    and here is a community site in the states:
    http://www.insidesimracing.tv/

I was fortunate enough to find some used D-Box actuators and plan on building a 4 DOA rig similar to the Vesaro but more of an F1 style seating chassis.

W7 Pro 64, MSI X99A Godlike , I7-6850K, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz 32GB, Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 and 850 EVO 1TB SATA, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Corsair AX1200W, Acer Predator X34 and Oculus.
    defdude
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/22 22:07:54 (permalink)
    How do the new Polk speakers sound?

Everyone's the same,
    Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/23 11:39:57 (permalink)
    ILikeBeans

Nice AB! wow what a review! so, I know you are getting into more driving sims and just thought I might post a few links to some good news sites for sims:
    http://www.virtualr.net/
    http://www.simnewsdaily.com/
    and here is a community site in the states:
    http://www.insidesimracing.tv/

I was fortunate enough to find some used D-Box actuators and plan on building a 4 DOA rig similar to the Vesaro but more of an F1 style seating chassis.

Wow man Sick!

I would not be able to afford one of those (Or the one I really want from Obutto) unfortunately. I think the skill is also needed in order to qualify, or even be a valid option to purchase . That said... Getting me out of that once I had one... Yeah. Good luck with that. You would have to pry it from me while I was kicking and biting to stay in it. I used to race for real (Micky Thompson days) and my seat (Back side) is where my skills are in real life. The "Feel" is everything for me. And having a Cockpit that is more "Life like" in slamming us around and feeling the tires grip, would stop the rest of my life from existing .

Please make a thread when you can. Would love to follow it as you get this going...

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/23 11:43:30 (permalink)
    defdude

How do the new Polk speakers sound?

LOVE the sound... Neighbors stopped by asking "What is all that noise? You have a race track upstairs for kids or something? Hahahahahahaha...  I responded... Naaaaaah... It is "Grown up" day care... And I was "Fine tuning" the sound... Two hours later his wife came over to drag him back home....  Hahahahahahaha

We did BBQ some Pork ribs though to be neighborly while he was... Um... "Checking it out"...

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/23 15:47:31 (permalink)
    Small update. Please note I am planning on my second part of this review to be in September. I really want to work this hard and try multiple tasks with it.

I am still working with the new Obutto R3Volution Cockpit and am quite pleased. 

Check that... Beyond pleased. This Cockpit has gone from my concern of the price/value to... Worth much more than the asking price.

Am I saying that out of pure giddiness or real world reality? Humbly, a little of both. 

I was not expecting the comfort it offers. I was not anticipating the changes made in comparison to the Obutto oZone would have.

And flat out... You can man handle this bad-boy when racing and it has absolutely no negative impact to the Cockpit. Does not even flinch! Now this might sound kind of weird... But I have sore muscles now that I have NOT had ever with gaming. Because the Cockpit does not move, "All" of the steering is real (Max forced feedback) and works your arms/chest nicely! So much so I was... Let us just say... "Damp" and crawling out of the R3Volution Cockpit with a huge smile on my face night before last...

This cockpit is one that can make the Multitasking person quite happy. If you have a main focus, say Flight Simulation, fine, no problem. However this Cockpit was clearly not made for "One crowd". The design allows for most any crowd with a paticular focus to position everything to "Their" needs. This is the first Cockpit in this price range to do this without any shortfalls.

I am truly having a hard time finding actual complaints with the unit. Some nit picky things sure... But flat out complaints? Nope... That said. I would like a second seat option. As it is, the seat ships in it's own box, so why not? For all day usage I would like a seat a tad more relaxed in the shoulder and leg areas. Even if that means one chair that has adjustments (Like those with Lumbar adjustments).

If you are on the edge... This Cockpit "Must" be on your consideration list. We easily spend $400 for a regular desk, and drop another $100-150 on "The" chair... Then we have to think about the expense to adapt our "Accessories" to the desk. So I actually think that the price they are asking is right in line and or appropriate for what you get.

A Multitasking capable tool that is comfortable. 

WuShu
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/23 16:23:58 (permalink)
    Cool, you sound very pleased with your purchase. :D I would like to get the R3v, but I'm happy with the Ozone for now and don't have the money.

Obutto Ozone cockpit, AMD Phenom II 3.0Ghz, EVGA 570 GTX
    Gigabyte MA790-UD4P, 8 GIG Corsair DDR2 800 :(
    Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/24 11:33:02 (permalink)
    WuShu

Cool, you sound very pleased with your purchase. :D I would like to get the R3v, but I'm happy with the Ozone for now and don't have the money.

Not a thing wrong with the oZone. It is a really nice unit. Loved mine. Giving it to a person I know like and trust this weekend. I know he will like as much as I did 

For me, the R3Volution is more inline with my wants and needs today. I am pretty sure I would have purchased the oZone if I was buying for the first time today because you cannot read ones opinion and get from that the same level of value you would find in it.  Heck you might find more! It does require (I think anyway) a leap of faith, previous ownership of other products (To allow for your own wants/needs to drive you) or flat out... Want an all day desk arrangement that will play all night with significant adjust-ability. And frankly have the budget for it. 

To me it is simple because this is my Hobby of choice and I upgrade my computer components so often... By purchasing a Cockpit like the oZone or R3Volution, I will skip upgrading my system the next cycle as I used the funds to buy the Cockpit. Makes the wife happy, budget happy and my gaming experience is leaps and bounds better than any GPU upgrade will offer every year.  In my mind it is all about bang for my $$. The bigger the bang, the better the experience... 

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile