[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review]

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
juanP
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 381
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/25 17:24:31 (permalink)
any idea if the monitor stand hold three 30 inch monitors steady?

juanP                   

mikegmain88
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/25 17:31:44 (permalink)
Yes, it will.
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/25 20:23:22 (permalink)

Nice review AB!         

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/27 06:20:21 (permalink)
juanP

any idea if the monitor stand hold three 30 inch monitors steady?

Not only will it hold a 30",  as long as the screen you chose has the VESA mounts on the back, your size choice is no longer limited with the new R3volution Cockpit in it's stock configuration... The only limit is your desire and wants 

Remember, The R3Volution Cockpit monitor "Stand" is not attached to the cockpit itself. It stands on it's own completely...

ILikeBeans
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3429
  • Ribbons : 6
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/27 17:15:44 (permalink)
Afterburner

ILikeBeans

Nice AB! wow what a review! so, I know you are getting into more driving sims and just thought I might post a few links to some good news sites for sims:
http://www.virtualr.net/
http://www.simnewsdaily.com/
and here is a community site in the states:
http://www.insidesimracing.tv/

I was fortunate enough to find some used D-Box actuators and plan on building a 4 DOA rig similar to the Vesaro but more of an F1 style seating chassis.

Wow man Sick!

I would not be able to afford one of those (Or the one I really want form Obutto) unfortunately. I think the skill is also needed in order to qualify, or even be a valid option to purchase . That said... Getting me out of that once I had one... Yeah. Good luck with that. You would have to pry it from me while I was kicking and biting to stay in it. I used to race for real (Micky Thompson days) and my seat (Back side) is where my skills are in real life. The "Feel" is everything for me. And having a Cockpit that is more "Life like" in slamming us around and feeling the tires grip, would stop the rest of my life from existing .

Please make a thread when you can. Would love to follow it as you get this going...
Whoa! You rock, I used to watch MT off road race in the day, is that the kind of racing you did?, I know MT was involved in a lot of different types of racing. I raced karts a little, and went to racing school at Paul Ricard in ancient days, but I didn't get very far. I will post the project, but unfortunately I have a jet ski to restore first... I have too

By the way, I meant DOF not DOA LOL
post edited by ILikeBeans - 2012/08/27 17:18:53

W7 Pro 64, MSI X99A Godlike , I7-6850K, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz 32GB, Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 and 850 EVO 1TB SATA, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Corsair AX1200W, Acer Predator X34 and Oculus.
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/28 11:28:33 (permalink)
ILikeBeans

Whoa! You rock, I used to watch MT off road race in the day, is that the kind of racing you did?, I know MT was involved in a lot of different types of racing. I raced karts a little, and went to racing school at Paul Ricard in ancient days, but I didn't get very far. I will post the project, but unfortunately I have a jet ski to restore first... I have too

By the way, I meant DOF not DOA LOL

I raced Flat-tracks... Before they went big in the Stadiums...

Post anyway! That is an order... Or request. Take your pick 

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/08/31 08:32:39 (permalink)
Small update. I will be answering many of the questions I have received thus far, this holiday weekend. If you have any news one, hit me up. I hope this has been of help for those looking for information on the R3Volution Cockpit so far 

Catrik
  • Total Posts : 12
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/01 22:19:44 (permalink)
Great review. I have been engineering a cockpit like this for many many years in my head, to suit flight/race sims and daily use in one seat. Then I saw the R3volution and there it was! The cockpit I have been dreaming of. Just too bad I moved and now I dont have a place to build my own, but really the price is not bad like you said. My current PC seat is literally falling apart and looking at the prices of proper chairs, the R3volution is really not even very expensive. My only issue now is that I've been thinking of getting a projector and I want to use it for slow paced games and movies, but its not possible since the monitors are in the way.

Two quostions:
1. When will you review the flight stick mounts? I would be using both race and flight sims and would like to know how fast is it to swap between them.

2. I remember seeing an tabletop for the Obutto (not sure which one), it was adjustable and had a lip on it so you could place a laptop on in, use it as a normal tabletop or remove the table and bolt a monitor on the arm. Was this an optional accessory or what? I think I saw it in some youtube video
Red_Raider
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 132
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/01 23:00:17 (permalink)
Afterburner...

How would this unit work if a person chose not to use a monitor, rather their 60" or larger display?

I've been wanting to get a driving / flight cockpit setup for sometime now and was looking at the Rseat RS Evo (would require some mods). I do not care to use whatever setup I decide to buy, as a work desk.

eVGA Classified - E759
920 - D0 (3846B077)
2x Sapphire RX 480 8GB (x-fire)
3x Iwaki RD-30
heatware: RedRaider
<><

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/04 12:44:51 (permalink)
Catrik

Great review. I have been engineering a cockpit like this for many many years in my head, to suit flight/race sims and daily use in one seat. Then I saw the R3volution and there it was! The cockpit I have been dreaming of. Just too bad I moved and now I dont have a place to build my own, but really the price is not bad like you said. My current PC seat is literally falling apart and looking at the prices of proper chairs, the R3volution is really not even very expensive. My only issue now is that I've been thinking of getting a projector and I want to use it for slow paced games and movies, but its not possible since the monitors are in the way.

Two quostions:
1. When will you review the flight stick mounts? I would be using both race and flight sims and would like to know how fast is it to swap between them.

2. I remember seeing an tabletop for the Obutto (not sure which one), it was adjustable and had a lip on it so you could place a laptop on in, use it as a normal tabletop or remove the table and bolt a monitor on the arm. Was this an optional accessory or what? I think I saw it in some youtube video

Thank you for your feedback. I do appreciate all that I get.

As for your questions....

1. Once I buy a new set. I am knee deep in a business transition that is resulting in far more success earlier on than anticipated and not allowing for as much "Free-time" as I am accustomed to. I also need to do my normal research pattern in hopes of making the right choice the first time. That said, I am looking at next year before getting a set.
  2. I am not familiar with the tabletop you are suggesting for the Obutto oZone I used. It must have been an option or someone with some ingenuity skills =]. This is one of the suggestions that I have for Obbutto once I get my questions that others have asked answered...

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/04 12:57:08 (permalink)
Red_Raider

Afterburner...

How would this unit work if a person chose not to use a monitor, rather their 60" or larger display?

I've been wanting to get a driving / flight cockpit setup for sometime now and was looking at the Rseat RS Evo (would require some mods). I do not care to use whatever setup I decide to buy, as a work desk.

Couple of answers... But first, this cockpit has many mounting holes pre-drilled. I found as long as the Monitor or Big Screen had the VESA mounting points, the R3Volution has no issues with size. Keep in mind the bigger you get, the further away the cockpit has to be because the physical size of the chosen screen comes into play with the cockpit/leg area. And would require movement away from the screen as needed.

Assuming a person did not use the monitor stand at all (And keep in mind this cockpit comes with a separate monitor stand that is NOT attached in any way to the cockpit itself).
  • No doubt it would. Many folks simply slide the cockpit of choice up to their big screen for those times they want to play, well other than those that have the room ans funds to have one in the gaming room and another in the theater room 
Assuming a person wanted to use the monitor stand...
  • It all depends on the mounting options on the big screen. My 55" LG we used bolted right up in the testing we did. And frankly, was a pretty awesome setup. If I was not so bent towards the 5760x1200 resolution that triple screens give me, I would run a 42-48" screen all day on this setup. I found the 55" to make me move my head side to side far more than I liked... Now when the 4k screens are hittin gthe shelves... Good by triple screens heeeeeeello Big Screen... 

Hope that helps, please feel free to let me know if it was not what you had in mind. I am happy to respond and or correct my response...

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/04 13:00:02 (permalink)
OK folks... You may have noticed I did not get the questions updated as I hoped... Please note I actually did do them. However for one reason or another the WebSite ... Well let me just say, I hit submit, it said no thank you. I should have used notepad or word, live and learn! That said, I will try again later this week or this coming weekend.  Had a really busy weekend that kept me from the net most of the time (Darn honey do lists!!!) and have a pretty full schedule this week... Thank you for your patience! 

AB

Catrik
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/05 00:02:19 (permalink)
Do you already have the joystick mounts? If so, can you post pictures of them in place? Does it mount on the side or between your legs? Do you need to take steering wheel/shifter/KB tray off to install joystick mounts? What adjustments do they have?

E: This is what I was talking about ttp://youtu.be/9b8uOZmBU_g?t=8m40s
post edited by Catrik - 2012/09/05 07:48:23
rss334
  • Total Posts : 17
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/05 22:37:15 (permalink)
Catrik,

I have mine installed and includes tabletops and flight stick mounts.   The mounts are great and just like everything else with the unit swivel where-ever you want them.  There are height adjustments on them using screw knob.  The center flight stick mount has to be installed while seated (at least for me), kind of reminds me of sitting in the old fighter planes while they install the hardware after your seated.   This is not a negative though, installing it simply means inserting it in the L bracket already installed, it's a 3 second process.  I seem to enjoy having the joystick on the shift mount to the right though, throttle on the left, and mouse on the middle joystick mount.   I use the acrylic tabletop left for the keyboard which swivles at an angle right up in front of me, and later I plan to mount a 4th monitor on the right table/they switch out and are vesa compliant.  It really does feel like your building the cockpit around you.

Here's a link to my review and some pictures I posted where you can see some partially the joystick mounts.   Still playing around with the various configs, but I really like it so far.

h   ttp://forums.mainperformancepc.com/showthread.php?89-Detailed-review-R3volution
post edited by rss334 - 2012/09/05 22:43:11
Catrik
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/06 07:20:07 (permalink)
rss334, I read your review too. I'm "standing of the fence" right now and only thing keeping me from jumping is deciding if I get the flight stick mounts or mod my current custom mounts for the R3v. They can be adjusted and tilted any possible way and would save me 40 euros + all the hard labour I've spent making them I just cant find any pictures of the R3v mounts.

Well you know, suck it. 40e on top of 850e aint nothing. *goes get his credit card*
rss334
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/06 08:42:30 (permalink)
It does not sound like the flight mounts would be as adjustable as what you built, but with the Obutto the mounts meet my expectations and needs.   They swivel left and right and adjust up or down but there is no tilt.  Depending upon where you mount your chair and keyboard tray, you can move the mounts forwards or backwards by changing the mounting hole position on the chair frame.  

As you can see in these pictures the center flight sticks really needs to be installed while seated, unless I have it installed wrong?  My preferred config is to use the joystick on the right most arm and use a mouse on the center mount.

post edited by rss334 - 2012/09/06 08:55:31
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/07 06:35:31 (permalink)
^^Good info thank you!

One of the "Ideas" I have for the joysticks And the Keyboard tray...

Is an option for us to purchase the same mounting plates that the "Table tops" come with (Or a version like them). Allowing a rotation in the articulation.

I find that my keyboard tray needs it badly for my long term typing sessions for my ergonomic needs. Otherwise the tray is basically on the top of my legs and I am not liking that very much... And from my limited goofing off time with the sticks, they could benefit from this as well...

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/07 06:53:42 (permalink)
BTW.. One of my tips from the oZone days...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202261940/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=velcro&storeId=10051#.UEn5eo1lScM

This is just one of many options. But I like how they stick to themselves, easy to move/adjust and frankly are cheap. This particular kit includes 25 gray and 25 Black. I used the black.

Worth every penny. All my cords are under control and looks clean as can be. For a cockpit of this size and ability, this should be a must have for those with this R3Volituion...

atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12753
  • Ribbons : 25
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/07 08:28:27 (permalink)
^^ I got mine....y'all better get yours
post edited by atfrico - 2012/09/07 08:34:38

Attached Image(s)

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
rss334
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/07 11:38:33 (permalink)
Afterburner you mean I was not suppossed to superglue my cables to the frame?   Darn it !  
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/07 16:20:47 (permalink)
rss334

Afterburner you mean I was not suppossed to superglue my cables to the frame?   Darn it !  

Hahahahaha... I would not advise that. However JB Weld on the other hand............... 

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/09 11:28:45 (permalink)
OK Folks.. Posts #2 & #3 have been updated. Read, leave thoughts, ask questions. I am happy to help 

Catrik
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/09 16:28:39 (permalink)
I ordered mine few days ago. They should start shipping to EU in the end of this month, and I can not wait! Also Chris told me they should have the speaker mounts for sale by xmas, for those who might need time. Ill be placing my R3v in the middle of living room and using my home theater with it.
Dajjal
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/10 01:50:00 (permalink)
Great review! Im gonna add this to my Lottery Dream wishlist! :p

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/10 10:43:33 (permalink)
defdude

How do the new Polk speakers sound?

Love the sound. The Woofer alone made it worth the cost =]...

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/10 10:49:28 (permalink)
One of the questions that I received a few times from those into flight sims...

Question;
"Can the steering wheel mount be used for a fourth monitor, and if so can it be tilted from horizontal to straight down?"

Answer:
Yes and no, then back to yes, so please read on... Yes, the Obutto R3Volution was designed to have a fourth monitor mounted on the same mount as the Steering Wheel is. If you mount the bracket as in the instructions, it can go Horizontal to about halfway to the floor. Now if you want more adjust-ability to get the same angel (Flat from ground to ceiling) like the main monitor, all you do is dismount the bracket from the main mount and flip it over. Wallah... A fourth monitor low and in front of you with the ability to be at the same angle as the main Monitor(s).

Alacran72
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2127
  • Ribbons : 6
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/10 10:51:15 (permalink)
Dude that is a sick set up!
Awesome review! 

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/13 07:09:46 (permalink)
Alacran72

Dude that is a sick set up!
Awesome review! 

Thank you kindly, and yes it is  I put at least eight hours a day one it...

Red_Raider
Superclocked Member
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/15 12:20:15 (permalink)
Thanks for the reply and detailed/lengthy write-up AB.

My current desire is not to mount my display to any Obutto monitor stand, rather leave my KURO just where it is at. Want to use the steering wheel mount for mounting a touchscreen display, for use with DCS A-10C, unfortunately Obutto nor their US Reseller, provide photos of this setup. Always the option in the future, to mount a 50" on their monitor stand and put it in the corner of my game room. Sorry, I do care for a triple-monitor setup, too many other hobbies I dump money on for me to sacrifice that level of expense, since I would not buy some random cheap-arse monitors.

Mind providing me with the height of the steering wheel mount from the floor? Also could you explain how the steering wheel mount transforms into a monitor mount? How many degrees of tilt does it provide? How difficult would it be to swap out the "steering wheel mount" with another one, so we could easily convert this cockpit from driving sim to flight sim? I do not see an option to purchase an additional "steering wheel mount"? I would not want to have to remove the monitor and have to install a steering wheel, I can imagine that would be a real pain in the arse.

I'd also appreciate some detailed dimensions of the center-mounted fightstick accessory, as well as the side-mounted throttle stands.

The Obutto website isn't too helpful in providing anything other than "generic" info. Really needs some work, IMHO. People like myself who are interested in investing money towards a "cockpit set-up" are typically comparing various competing designs, by providing more info it makes the decision a bit easier, so a person doesn't have to spend hours upon hours searching the web.

MainPerformancePC also needs to take the minimal time necessary to upload product photos (various angles both installed / loose) of the Obutto R3volution Accessories they are stocking, to me that is very discomforting. If something as simple as this is not being done, it makes me question what else they skimp on? A picture tells a thousand words, "no photo yet" says just one - lazy.

I'm starting to like the Obutto R3volution, it seems to fit what I'm looking for and provide future expansion/evolution. I can see my son and I enjoying driving sims / flight sims and some old school Steel Battalion.

eVGA Classified - E759
920 - D0 (3846B077)
3x Iwaki RD-30
<><

Red_Raider
Superclocked Member
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/15 12:25:28 (permalink)
rss334...

Thanks for the pics you posted above. I'm thinking some modding needs to be done, if one wants to properly mount a center-mounted fightstick.

I'm a bit shocked at seeing the Obutto's powder-coating appears to be pretty thin. Not liking that too much, especially at the price of admission.

eVGA Classified - E759
920 - D0 (3846B077)
3x Iwaki RD-30
<><

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile