EVGA

RTX 2080 FTW3 Constant Crashing in every game

Author
pharithos17
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/10/27 21:23:12 (permalink)
Hi -- I have a EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, replacing a GTX 1070.  I never had issues with the GTX 1070, but with the 2080 I'm getting a wide variety of new crashes and issues in every game. 

ARK locks up after 10 minutes-ish (except on the DX10 low but that's not why I have a 2080), let's me ctrl + alt + del and select task manager, but I cannot do anything beyond that -- after I'm back from the Ctrl + Alt + Del screen, ARK is always in the foreground.  Alt + Tab works to the extent that i can flip between screens until I pick on that isn't ARK -- regardless, ARK remains on top.  When I finally decide to Log Out or Restart, then I BSOD with Bad_Pool_Caller.

Conan: Exiles -- I can play for maybe 5m-ish before it locks up.  This one time it gave me a popup before launching that DX11 version or feature level 10 was needed? Might have been a oneoff, though.  I actually snagged a screenshot of some artifacting and would have attached except ... the Steam Screenshot looked pristine.  In the game it looked like kind of lame fireworks (no joke) but in the in-game menu it was your standard artifacting.   Fairly quickly I'll get a Pop-up that the Unreal has crashed:

Fatal error: [File:E:\UE4\CSAND\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 232] 
    Result failed 
    at E:\UE4\CSAND\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Query.cpp:134 
    with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Star Wars Battlefront 2 -- this one's weird. The main menu is janky AF.  Kylo Ren pops in and out as background rendering stutters, I have no mouse support in main menu, and then crash w/in 30s-ish.

Crysis 3 -- One launch it rather offensively advised me that I need a DX11 compatible GPU, but it launched anyways.  Subsequent launches haven't given that warning, but each time, it's crashed with a DXGI Error Device Removed

Witcher 3 -- plays for a minute or less then locks up then BSOD IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal, so this is something of a BSOD Variety pack.

I've used DDU in safe mode to uninstall Driver Software and reinstall w/ no internet, but that didn't do anything.  EIST on or off doesn't affect anything.  My PSU is powered by 2 cables (though arbitrarily plugged into PSU, I think slots VGA 1 and 4?).  My Z370 Mobo also is plugged into PSU via the add'l VGA 6 or 8 pin port near the bottom, though not SLI'd.

Any Suggestions?  Many of the lockups come with audio stuttering or buzzing, but I'm assuming that's just the audio rendering over and over for the same frame or whatever.  

Other bits:

Mobo: EVGA Z370 FTW
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo)
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600
Main SSD: Corsair Neutron NX500 AIC 400GB NVMe PCIe Gen. 3
Case: EVGA DG-77 Alpine White Mid-Tower
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3
CPU Cooler: EVGA CLC 280 Liquid / Water CPU Cooler 

8 Replies Related Threads

pharithos17
    Re: RTX 2080 FTW3 Constant Crashing in every game 2018/10/27 21:38:58 (permalink)
    Quick update -- I popped my GTW 1070 back in and everything is chipper.  I've only tested Battlefront 2, but the main menu is great and I have mouse support.  I feel like this has to be a bad card but I could be wrong.
    PopinFRESH007
    • Total Posts : 98
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: RTX 2080 FTW3 Constant Crashing in every game 2018/10/27 22:46:26 (permalink)
    Did you install the latest driver hot-fix?

Also what version of Windows (and build number?) are you running? I know some people were also having issues with the recent Windows 10 build with the RTX cards.
    post edited by PopinFRESH007 - 2018/10/27 22:51:28
    ihcfr
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re: RTX 2080 FTW3 Constant Crashing in every game 2018/10/27 23:57:38 (permalink)
    Hi regarding program always stays on top:
    You can try win+tab to bring up the task view and click new desktop on top left. In the new desktop launch task manager and close the hanging program there. That's how I solved a lot of foreground program hanging problems.
    pharithos17
    Re: RTX 2080 FTW3 Constant Crashing in every game 2018/10/28 00:04:05 (permalink)
    @ PopinFRESH007 I did install the hotfix, though the listed problems that it fixed were pretty minimal compared to my crashes.  It had no effect.  Windows is Version 1803 OS Build 17134.376.

@ihcfr good to know, I never noticed that.  If I get that issue again, I'll check it out.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49089
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: RTX 2080 FTW3 Constant Crashing in every game 2018/10/28 14:11:56 (permalink)
    Enable debug mode inside the nvidia control panel, and let us know if that helps or not.
    Tech_JoseC
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 383
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: RTX 2080 FTW3 Constant Crashing in every game 2018/10/28 14:18:53 (permalink)
    pharithos17
    Hi -- I have a EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, replacing a GTX 1070.  I never had issues with the GTX 1070, but with the 2080 I'm getting a wide variety of new crashes and issues in every game. 

ARK locks up after 10 minutes-ish (except on the DX10 low but that's not why I have a 2080), let's me ctrl + alt + del and select task manager, but I cannot do anything beyond that -- after I'm back from the Ctrl + Alt + Del screen, ARK is always in the foreground.  Alt + Tab works to the extent that i can flip between screens until I pick on that isn't ARK -- regardless, ARK remains on top.  When I finally decide to Log Out or Restart, then I BSOD with Bad_Pool_Caller.

Conan: Exiles -- I can play for maybe 5m-ish before it locks up.  This one time it gave me a popup before launching that DX11 version or feature level 10 was needed? Might have been a oneoff, though.  I actually snagged a screenshot of some artifacting and would have attached except ... the Steam Screenshot looked pristine.  In the game it looked like kind of lame fireworks (no joke) but in the in-game menu it was your standard artifacting.   Fairly quickly I'll get a Pop-up that the Unreal has crashed:

Fatal error: [File:E:\UE4\CSAND\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 232] 
        Result failed 
        at E:\UE4\CSAND\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Query.cpp:134 

Star Wars Battlefront 2 -- this one's weird. The main menu is janky AF.  Kylo Ren pops in and out as background rendering stutters, I have no mouse support in main menu, and then crash w/in 30s-ish.

Crysis 3 -- One launch it rather offensively advised me that I need a DX11 compatible GPU, but it launched anyways.  Subsequent launches haven't given that warning, but each time, it's crashed with a DXGI Error Device Removed

Witcher 3 -- plays for a minute or less then locks up then BSOD IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal, so this is something of a BSOD Variety pack.

I've used DDU in safe mode to uninstall Driver Software and reinstall w/ no internet, but that didn't do anything.  EIST on or off doesn't affect anything.  My PSU is powered by 2 cables (though arbitrarily plugged into PSU, I think slots VGA 1 and 4?).  My Z370 Mobo also is plugged into PSU via the add'l VGA 6 or 8 pin port near the bottom, though not SLI'd.

Any Suggestions?  Many of the lockups come with audio stuttering or buzzing, but I'm assuming that's just the audio rendering over and over for the same frame or whatever.  

Other bits:

Try setting the graphics card so that it is running at Maximum Performance via the 3D Settings in the NVIDIA control panel, I have seen that it helps resolve this particular error "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG"

Go to the NVIDIA control panel --> Manage 3D Settings --> Global Settings --> Power Management Mode --> Set to Prefer Maximum Performance 

I would also go to the Adjust Image settings with Preview menu and set the slider so that it is set to Performance. 

Let us know if this helps!
    koshelkov
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 233
    Re: RTX 2080 FTW3 Constant Crashing in every game 2018/10/28 14:20:21 (permalink)
    I'm having the same issues with my new card. Started RMA

Windows 8.1 Pro | | EVGA X99 Classified | Intel i7-5960X CPU @ 4.5 GHz (Swiftech H220-X) | 16GB DDR4 @3000 Mhz Corsair | 3x SLI EVGA GTX 980 EK Hydro | GTX 740 Physics Dedicated | EVGA X99 Classified |3x 30" HP Z30i 2560x1600 | Cosmos II Case | 3X 1TB Samsung SSD 840 Evo | PSU EVGA 1600 P2
    paymok
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: RTX 2080 FTW3 Constant Crashing in every game 2018/10/31 23:32:52 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JoseC
    pharithos17

Result failed 

Other bits:

Try setting the graphics card so that it is running at Maximum Performance via the 3D Settings in the NVIDIA control panel, I have seen that it helps resolve this particular error "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG"

Go to the NVIDIA control panel --> Manage 3D Settings --> Global Settings --> Power Management Mode --> Set to Prefer Maximum Performance 

I would also go to the Adjust Image settings with Preview menu and set the slider so that it is set to Performance. 

Let us know if this helps!

Actually From EVGA team, any ideas what actually causing "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED" or "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG"?
    Is it usually caused by a defect card ? bad VRAM? bad chip? unstable power voltage?  particular shading feature call?
    It seems the internet are very shine away to talk this problem, many generation have passed, the problem still exist, but no manufacturer, no game developer, no engineering from windows / DirectX have even step up and talk about this, 

I have experiencing the same issue from another brand GTX970 card over the past 4 years,
    I have tried to take this card to local warranty for repair, as the error happens very randomly, sometimes could happen in 15mins , sometimes several hours, no surprise they said they cannot reproduce the issue and refuse to exchange / repair. 

4 Years have past and the warranty is expired, i have given up long ago and until recently it crash much frequently, 
    I tried to exchange my card with my friend just to test out is it actually caused by another components in my rig, 
    At the end can confirm my card also experience DEVICE_HUNG in my friend's rig. 

given up fight with the local warranty engineers, and planning to purchase 2080, 
    but after 4 years of struggling, i really want to know what causing it. 

post edited by paymok - 2018/10/31 23:37:44
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile