EVGA

Hot!PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102333
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2022/10/25 03:57:12 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/300229/psa-dont-just-arm-wrestle-with-16-pin-12vhpwr-for-cable-management-it-will-burn-up

Despite sticking with PCI-Express Gen 4 as its host interface, the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 "Ada" graphics card standardizes the new 12+4 pin ATX 12VHPWR power connector, even across custom-designs by NVIDIA's add-in card (AIC) partners. This tiny connector is capable of delivering 600 W of power continuously, and briefly take 200% excursions (spikes). Normally, it should make your life easier as it condenses multiple 8-pin PCIe power connectors into one neat little connector; but in reality the connector is proving to be quite impractical. For starters, most custom RTX 4090 graphics cards have their PCBs being only two-thirds of the actual card length, which puts the power connector closer to the middle of the graphics card, making it aesthetically unappealing, but then there's a bigger problem, as uncovered by Buildzoid of Actually Hardcore Overclocking, an expert with PC hardware power-delivery designs.

CableMod, a company that specializes in custom modular-PSU cables targeting the case-modding community and PC enthusiasts, has designed a custom 12VHPWR cable that plugs into multiple 12 V output points on a modular PSU, converting them to a 16-pin 12VHPWR. It comes with a pretty exhaustive set of dos and don'ts; the latter are more relevant: apparently, you should not try to arm-wrestle with an 12VHPWR connector: do not attempt to bend the cable horizontally or vertically close to the connector, but leave a distance of at least 3.5 cm (1.37-inch). This ensures reduced pressure on the contacts in the connector. Combine this with the already tall RTX 4090 graphics cards, and you have yourself a power connector that's impractical for most standard-width mid-tower cases (chassis), with no room for cable-management. Attempting to "wrestle" with the connector, and somehow bending it to your desired shape, will cause improper contacts, which pose a fire-hazard.

The 12VHPWR connector is a new standard, which means most PSUs in the market lack it, much in the same way as PSUs some 17 years ago lacked PCIe power connectors; and graphics cards included 4-pin Molex-to-PCIe adapters. NVIDIA probably figured out early on when implementing this connector that it cannot rely on adapters by AICs or PSU vendors to perform reliably (i.e. not cause problems with their graphics cards, resulting in a flood of RMAs); and so took it upon itself to design an adapter that converts 8-pin PCIe connectors to a 12VHPWR, which all AICs are required to include with their custom-design RTX 4090 cards. This adapter is rightfully overengineered by NVIDIA to be as reliable as possible, and NVIDIA even includes a rather short service-span of 30 connections and disconnections; before the contacts of the adapter begin to wear out and become unreliable. The only problem with NVIDIA's adapter is that it is ugly, and ruins the aesthetics of the otherwise brilliant RTX 4090 custom designs; which means a market is created for custom adapters.

I think it is sad that this information is coming out so late after the launch of the RTX 4090. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

35 Replies Related Threads

Killmur
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5311
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/25 12:24:13 (permalink)
    With this recent development and the fact that newer Intel\AMD CPUs are starting to draw more power than necessary I think it's high time the entire power delivery system to the motherboard, cpu and gpu is redesigned. The 22+ year old industry standard 24 pin connector needs to be redesigned to provide high enough power so we don't have to worry about things like this anymore.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/25 12:49:08 (permalink)
    Guess they need to rethink/improve this "power solution" 

I'm left wondering how they ever made it through validation with this socket/power design, without these restrictive limits being known? 

(excerpt from OP link)
    "NVIDIA even includes a rather short service-span of 30 connections and disconnections; before the contacts of the adapter begin to wear out and become unreliable."

I think those photos (found in OP's link, Update) of the semi melted Nvidia 12+4 pin adapter & GPU socket were impressive - & show the results of loose connections & the heat generated very clearly

(excerpt)  "Update 15:59 UTC: A user on Reddit has a report with pictures how his 16-pin adapter burnt up."

No mention if this person had modified the BIOS, how the wires sere routed (bent?), cycled the connector many times or how the GPU was being used before the failure

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

yaymz
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 736
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/25 15:40:47 (permalink)
    What is funny is that Intel was the one who designed and made the implementation push on ATX 3.0 / 12VHPWR standard, and their new Arc GPU's come with standard 8-pin connectors.   Sure, one could argue that the Arc's have a much lower TDP than a 40 series, but that is besides the point if you are going to try to push the industry in a whole new direction with power delivery, you would think they would be the first to adopt it. Or at a minimum throw in some ATX 2.0 adapter cables for people with current gen PSUs (all of us basically).

To add to all this confusion, Radeon just announced that they would not be using the ATX 3.0 standard on on the new Rx 7000 GPUs... And they will continue to use 8-pins.

It really doesn't bode well for Intel and has me wondering if the PSU industry is balking at these 12vhpwr connectors.  Hence why we haven't really seen any make their way to retail yet. 

cpu: Intel 12900k-EK Quantum Magnitude waterblock
    mobo: Asus z690 Apex
    ram: G.skill DDR5 @ 6000+.
    gpu: MSI 4090 Suprim Liq x on EK-Quantum Vector² Trio ABP waterblock
    ssd: Samsung m.2 980 Pro 2TB (x2)
    psu: beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1500w
    case: Lian-li o11d xl
    monitor: Asus ROG Swift 27" 1440p @240hz (PG279QM).[/
    yaymz
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 736
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/25 15:53:28 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    (excerpt)  "Update 15:59 UTC: A user on Reddit has a report with pictures how his 16-pin adapter burnt up."

No mention if this person had modified the BIOS, how the wires sere routed (bent?), cycled the connector many times or how the GPU was being used before the failure

Yea there is some information missing in the recent reddit posts.  Certainly if they were using a modified BIOS that could pull more power than the cable is spec'd for, it could cause that problem.

I think the wires getting pulled from their terminals on those tight bends (causing an electrical arc) is the most logical reasons to me.  Glad that Cablemod identified this so early on, and it is a shame that this didn't all come to light with all the testing/RnD resources at Nvidia's disposal.

cpu: Intel 12900k-EK Quantum Magnitude waterblock
    mobo: Asus z690 Apex
    ram: G.skill DDR5 @ 6000+.
    gpu: MSI 4090 Suprim Liq x on EK-Quantum Vector² Trio ABP waterblock
    ssd: Samsung m.2 980 Pro 2TB (x2)
    psu: beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1500w
    case: Lian-li o11d xl
    monitor: Asus ROG Swift 27" 1440p @240hz (PG279QM).[/
    EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/25 17:02:57 (permalink)
    yaymz
    What is funny is that Intel was the one who designed and made the implementation push on ATX 3.0 / 12VHPWR standard, and their new Arc GPU's come with standard 8-pin connectors.   Sure, one could argue that the Arc's have a much lower TDP than a 40 series, but that is besides the point if you are going to try to push the industry in a whole new direction with power delivery, you would think they would be the first to adopt it. Or at a minimum throw in some ATX 2.0 adapter cables for people with current gen PSUs (all of us basically).

To add to all this confusion, Radeon just announced that they would not be using the ATX 3.0 standard on on the new Rx 7000 GPUs... And they will continue to use 8-pins.

It really doesn't bode well for Intel and has me wondering if the PSU industry is balking at these 12vhpwr connectors.  Hence why we haven't really seen any make their way to retail yet. 

To add even more to the confusion, people are still interchangeably using ATX 3.0 and PCIe Gen 5.0...lol.  ATX 3.0 does not obligate PSU makers to use the 12VHPWR connector or PCIe Gen 5.0 requirements.  ATX 3.0 does say that if you are going to incorporate PCIe Gen 5.0 specs and connectors, then you need to follow rules X,Y,Z,etc.  Overall, the power, thermal, and most everything else for PCIe Gen 5.0 is designed by PCI-SIG, not Intel.

Plenty of reasons to move the industry to ATX 3.0 for better efficiency, performance, alt-sleep mode, and plenty of other things, but the push to add PCIe Gen 5.0 connectors (especially on a PCIe Gen 4 card) is coming from NVIDIA, not Intel.
    post edited by EVGATech_LeeM - 2022/10/25 17:09:39
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/25 17:22:21 (permalink)
    Killmur
    With this recent development and the fact that newer Intel\AMD CPUs are starting to draw more power than necessary I think it's high time the entire power delivery system to the motherboard, cpu and gpu is redesigned. The 22+ year old industry standard 24 pin connector needs to be redesigned to provide high enough power so we don't have to worry about things like this anymore.

I mean, this is the reason that Intel has a separate, and more preferred ATX12VO spec (at least to Intel) and prefers that the industry begin moving to that, rather than continuing to use ATX standards.  ATX12VO 2.0 was also recently published, and if you're not familiar with ATX12VO, it does essentially change the entire power delivery system to everything connected to the motherboard. 
    Killmur
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5311
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/25 17:29:12 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    Killmur

I mean, this is the reason that Intel has a separate, and more preferred ATX12VO spec (at least to Intel) and prefers that the industry begin moving to that, rather than continuing to use ATX standards.  ATX12VO 2.0 was also recently published, and if you're not familiar with ATX12VO, it does essentially change the entire power delivery system to everything connected to the motherboard. 

That's good to hear then cause we gotta stop relying on so many extra power cables which in turn causes extra issues. I remember when 4-pin was standard for base line cpu usage and now it's 8-pin and the same has been happening to the gpu side.

EVGA_Lee
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/25 17:35:18 (permalink)
    Killmur
    EVGATech_LeeM
    Killmur

That's good to hear then cause we gotta stop relying on so many extra power cables which in turn causes extra issues. I remember when 4-pin was standard for base line cpu usage and now it's 8-pin and the same has been happening to the gpu side.

The issue is that with ATX12VO you need a 12V-only power supply, which turns your motherboard into sort of a DC-DC converter and handles any 3.3V/5V connections for components, which also means the power connectors to them will come straight off the board.  It's not so much that it's a problem, but it means your PSU, MB, and all the other components are spec'd to work with that kind of an ecosystem.  Ultimately, systems can become much, much more energy efficient (and this is Intel's primary driving interest here), but it takes a large buy-in from all the hardware manufacturers.  These days, we use a lot fewer SATA and 4pin Molex connectors than we used to, so this is a lot more feasible than even 5-10 years ago. 

I will note that my explanation here is probably a bit simplistic, but this is the general idea of how a 12VO system would work.  It may be possible to also have an ATX12VO PSU that could provide auxiliary connectors to 3.3V/5V devices or power directly to VGA cards for flexibility, so don't look at my description above as a literal picture of how things have to work.  But systems would look a lot different, for sure.
    post edited by EVGATech_LeeM - 2022/10/25 17:40:00
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/25 19:23:56 (permalink)
    What I don't understand is how does moving the "inefficient" 5 volt and 3.3 volt buck converters from the PSU to the motherboard suddenly make them efficient?
    It doesn't.
    Only thing that would make them efficient is if you could disconnect/disable them completely (if not needed), or have separate smaller ones for each specific device which are only enabled if a device is connected to them.
    Otherwise, all they are doing is waiving their hand and pretending like the inefficiency didn't simply move to another place in the system.
    And what is so supposedly inefficient about them? Their efficiency should be somewhere around 95%.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

awalleyeguy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3444
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/25 19:43:11 (permalink)
    ^^^ Yes
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/25 22:16:18 (permalink)
    Looks like we're up to four melted launch-day cards, one from a Cyberpower prebuilt. https://www.tomshardware....adapter-bites-the-dust

Have water, will cool. 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/27 10:06:55 (permalink)
    this (thread) looks like a good explanation of the root cause of the issue with the NVIDIA adapters

The horror has a face – NVIDIA’s hot 12VHPWR adapter for the GeForce RTX 4090

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/27 17:04:08 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    What I don't understand is how does moving the "inefficient" 5 volt and 3.3 volt buck converters from the PSU to the motherboard suddenly make them efficient?
    It doesn't.
    Only thing that would make them efficient is if you could disconnect/disable them completely (if not needed), or have separate smaller ones for each specific device which are only enabled if a device is connected to them.
    Otherwise, all they are doing is waiving their hand and pretending like the inefficiency didn't simply move to another place in the system.
    And what is so supposedly inefficient about them? Their efficiency should be somewhere around 95%.

It doesn’t make the buck converters efficient, it make the PSU itself efficient, and make motherboard manufacturers figure out how to manage the other power ranges they need. Maybe everyone will move to 12 volt, and kick 3.3v and 5v to the curb completely.
    808sting
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 462
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/27 17:35:40 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    It doesn’t make the buck converters efficient, it make the PSU itself efficient, and make motherboard manufacturers figure out how to manage the other power ranges they need. Maybe everyone will move to 12 volt, and kick 3.3v and 5v to the curb completely.

It also gives MB makers an excuse to increase costs exponentially to accommodate the new board design requirements.  Feature rich boards are already $400-$700.

i9 13900KS, Asus ROG Hero Z690 MB, 32GB G.Skill DDR5-6400
    Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC
    External open-loop w/Velocity2 WB
    Corsair 900D Case
    Firecuda SSD 1TB & 2TB, EVO 970P 1TB, Black 8TB
    Asus & LG BD-RE
    Corsair AX1600i PS
    LG 38GL950B-G
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/27 19:10:06 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    ty_ger07
    It doesn't.

It doesn’t make the buck converters efficient, it make the PSU itself efficient,

... and makes the mobo less efficient. Net zero improvement.

What about total system efficiency?

It makes the PSU a tiny bit more efficient, by moving the tiny inefficiency somewhere else, but total system efficiency is the same. It's silly. It increases the cost and complexity of the mobo. You replace the mobo more often. How is that beneficial? Why pay for the 5v and 3.3v regulators every time you replace the motherboard?

The difference in PSU efficiency is absolutely tiny. It makes almost no difference. Total system efficiency is the same, so really it makes no difference at all.

Even if they do eventually kick the 3.3v and 5v rails to the curb, what is the benefit for efficiency? A watt or two? That is nearly nothing. And, ICs run on 3.3v or 5v, so that voltage will never truly be kicked to the curb; if anything, it will just exist in a different place or a different way.

Seems wasteful to me. Certainly not more efficient. As said, hand waiving for the sake of some statement about supposedly saving energy, for people who don't look at the bigger picture.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2022/10/29 06:10:19

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/28 03:44:15 (permalink)
    808sting

It also gives MB makers an excuse to increase costs exponentially to accommodate the new board design requirements.  Feature rich boards are already $400-$700.

True  +1

Kinda tired seeing pricey boards.  I know it will become the 'norm' for starter boards some day.  

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Miguell
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1112
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/29 02:41:23 (permalink)
    pc industry is going the wrong way with these developments!
    all wrong , dangerous and overpriced!

Case: Cooler Master Stacker 830
    Display: 32" AOC Q3279VWFD8 @2560x1440@75Hz
    Cpu: Intel Core i7-8700
    Cpu Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML120L - RGB
    Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming
    Vga: Asus Dual RTX 4060 Ti 16GB Advanced Edition
    Ram: 32GB DDR4  G.SKILL - RIPJAWS V @3200Mhz
    Sound: Hama uRage soundZbar 2.1 Unleashed  - (Optical)
    Storage: 500GB SSD M.2 A2000  NVMe  Kingston (OS) + 8TB (4+4) HDD X300 Toshiba (Data)
    Psu: SeaSonic M12 700W
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10105
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/29 04:24:00 (permalink)
    808sting
    the_Scarlet_one

When you make a board for people already buying a $1500 GPU you can charge a premium since money is no option to those buyers or at least some of them.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

808sting
    iCX Member
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/29 17:53:11 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    808sting

True  +1
    Kinda tired seeing pricey boards.  I know it will become the 'norm' for starter boards some day.  

Many may not remember those <$100 Pentium MBs back in the day.  Pricing is relative.

Ordered two CableMod cables, but they will take some time.  CableMod is overwhelmed with orders it seems.  At least I can use them on my 3090ti and my future 4090.

Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC
    Corsair 900D Case
    Asus & LG BD-RE
    Corsair AX1600i PS
    LG 38GL950B-G
    808sting
    iCX Member
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/29 18:01:39 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    808sting
    the_Scarlet_one

When you make a board for people already buying a $1500 GPU you can charge a premium since money is no option to those buyers or at least some of them.

True.  I still work for a living, but am fortunate to be able to enjoy hobbies.  I can't understand those that can afford it, but aren't willing to pay for the best practice options.  Buying a 4090 and get a cheap minimum required PS is hard to understand.  Or make a 1000HP car and not upgrade the rest of the stock drivetrain.

Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC
    Corsair 900D Case
    Asus & LG BD-RE
    Corsair AX1600i PS
    LG 38GL950B-G
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/29 19:14:30 (permalink)
    808sting
    I can't understand those that can afford it, but aren't willing to pay for the best practice options.

If it is the minimum required, it should work.
    If not, increase the minimums.

808sting
    iCX Member
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/29 21:29:26 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    808sting
    I can't understand those that can afford it, but aren't willing to pay for the best practice options.

If it is the minimum required, it should work.
    If not, increase the minimums.

Correct and in my haste, I didn't phrase the context well. 

When paying so much for a high-end halo product and you have the funds, why not factor in some headroom and scalability in the system.  In the end, it comes down to personal resources and choice.  I see it all the time where MQs get you into trouble very quickly.  Majority of the times, change orders drive up the cost due to questionable decisions.

nVidia's supplier for the 16-pin adapter did a poor job at design and the one bad QC at Igor's lab based on the few cut open samples floating around.  A poor choice for the flagship halo product.

Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC
    Corsair 900D Case
    Asus & LG BD-RE
    Corsair AX1600i PS
    LG 38GL950B-G
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/30 05:58:21 (permalink)

The jury is still out on that one.
    It appears that there are various adapters of various quality, and it could be a manufacturing defect, or bad construction exacerbating likelihood of the user causing a failure to occur.

It really does seem like Igor's findings are an outlier and currently unexplainable.
    For the majority of failures seen, it still seems like the terminals themselves are the problem. The terminals appear the be spreading apart, not making good connection, and overheating.

post edited by ty_ger07 - 2022/10/30 06:08:14

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/30 06:15:11 (permalink)
    I have been thinking about Igor and Jayz explanation, and how they say the cracked or disconnected solder likely causes heat, but if the cracked solder is the cause wouldn’t the melt happen near the soldering, not near the male-to-female pin connection.

I think Steve is on to something with the fact the issue isn’t occurring where the solder joint is, but that design is still garbage compared to having the wires crimped to the pin, and then solder if they want more contact.

I hope Steve and his team look further into this. They seem to really do justice to the testing versus some others.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102333
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/30 06:19:09 (permalink)
    I hope Gamer's Nexus receives a lot of cables for testing from their viewers. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2022/10/30 21:50:56 (permalink)
    There's a post on reddit from a user showing there's a blob of nylon plastic obstructing the interior pin. If plastic got into the connector during manufacture that could very well explain the entire mess https://i.imgur.com/vEP0DjU.jpg

Have water, will cool. 
    QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 946
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2024/03/10 19:15:37 (permalink)
    The problem here is that the "no bend" guidance IS NOT POSSIBLE with the 4090 in many or most cases - you HAVE to bend the cable pretty close to the connector to make it fit AT ALL in the case.
    Didn't have that issue with the old 6-pin and 8-pin PCI-E power connectors.

Best to avoid ANY card that uses these connectors, given all the the "burn-up" issues and BAD DESIGN on this piece of junk connector.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49170
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2024/03/10 20:19:47 (permalink)
    QuintLeo
    The problem here is that the "no bend" guidance IS NOT POSSIBLE with the 4090 in many or most cases - you HAVE to bend the cable pretty close to the connector to make it fit AT ALL in the case.
    Didn't have that issue with the old 6-pin and 8-pin PCI-E power connectors.

Best to avoid ANY card that uses these connectors, given all the the "burn-up" issues and BAD DESIGN on this piece of junk connector.

Cases?!?! Pfft. Don't need no cases. Just get a test bench. Problem solved. 
    QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 946
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: PSA: Don't Just Arm-wrestle with 16-pin 12VHPWR for Cable-Management, It Will Burn Up 2024/03/11 11:57:38 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    It doesn't.

The power drawn from them on any recent motherboard is TINY though.
    Which makes the PS level converters tend to be somewhat inefficient, as they're often designed for a LOT more power.
    Main point though, is the inefficiency is generally only dealing with single-digit watts. Not amps, WATTS.

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
     I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile