-CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
-CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim 67.8 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler
-Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
-Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
-Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
-Storage: Toshiba P300 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
-Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
-Case: NZXT H440 (Glossy White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
-Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
-Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan

Hi guys, so I've just finished my first build, but when I turn on there is no signal detected by my monitor. If I remove my GPu from the pcie 2 slot and unplug the 2x8pin connector, then boot, it starts up as normal. The GPu fans spin and the leds illuminate, but I get no monitor signal...

I've connected the pcie two 8pin connectors to 2 separate vga ports on the psu and then connected to the GPu. I've also tried plugging the hdmi into both the motherboard and the GPu.

Please give me some help here as it's driving me crazy, thanks
post edited by Jlowe96 - 2016/12/27 07:11:10

13 Replies Related Threads

3etatester
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 270
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: No display with gtx 1070 connected 2016/12/26 06:44:50 (permalink)
    If it boots without the GPU via integrated it's possible that you may need to make some changes in the MB uefi before it will output via GPU. Check the CSM options you find there.

You also want make sure that the monitor is set to display from the connection you're trying to use. This would be in the case that the integrated is working on HDMI but your trying DP from the GPU.

Could also be a problem with your GPU or PCI Express slot. Move to the slot 4 and test it there. If you still get nothing, there should be a post code indicator on that MB, that could help provide a bit more info on why no output.

***I forgot to mention, be certain that you're using the G3 cables only. You won't need the adapters that shipped with the 1070 and don't use any extenders or custom cables yet.**
    post edited by 3etatester - 2016/12/26 06:48:16

Z97 Classified :: i5 4670k @4.2Ghz :: 2-way GTX 980 SC's :: 3440x1440

Jlowe96
    • Total Posts : 11
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: No display with gtx 1070 connected 2016/12/26 07:45:45 (permalink)
    Hi, thanks for such an in depth reply, I'll try your suggestions when I get home tonight, but just so I know, what will I be looking for in the CSM options? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but this is my first build so please bear with me :)
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: No display with gtx 1070 connected 2016/12/26 08:48:56 (permalink)

Welcome to the Forums Jlowe96

First builds can be a learning experience, lets see if we can help

You said "If I remove my GPu from the pcie 2 slot and unplug the 2x8pin connector, then boot, it starts up as normal."

Are you saying the monitor is connected to the MB and the display is working ?

ASRock manual
    http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/Z170%20Extreme4.pdf

Which port(s) have you tested on back of MB ? (manual page 9)
    DVI-D Port
    HDMI Port
    DisplayPort 1.2

Manual page 7 , item 1 (ATX 12V Power Connector (ATX12V1)) --- is this connected ?
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/12/26 09:20:56

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: No display with gtx 1070 connected 2016/12/26 09:06:39 (permalink)
    3etatester
    If it boots without the GPU via integrated it's possible that you may need to make some changes in the MB uefi before it will output via GPU. Check the CSM options you find there.

You also want make sure that the monitor is set to display from the connection you're trying to use. This would be in the case that the integrated is working on HDMI but your trying DP from the GPU.

Could also be a problem with your GPU or PCI Express slot. Move to the slot 4 and test it there. If you still get nothing, there should be a post code indicator on that MB, that could help provide a bit more info on why no output.

***I forgot to mention, be certain that you're using the G3 cables only. You won't need the adapters that shipped with the 1070 and don't use any extenders or custom cables yet.**

+1

The PSU cables, 8-pin block into the PSU, the 6-pin +2-pin go into the GPU / card

Make sure GPU is fully seated and locked into the PCIe slot

Confirm all power cables are fully seated and the lock tab is closed / latched -- sometimes the connectors get tight before fully installed

What code is displayed on the Debug LED on your MB ? (starts on page 30)

The RAM you installed was approved / tested by MB or RAM mfg as compatible ?

Did you follow RAM population rules, page 19 - (which slots to use A2 + B2  - OR - A1 + B1)
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/12/26 09:23:31

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Jlowe96
    Re: No display with gtx 1070 connected 2016/12/26 09:15:13 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Welcome to the Forums Jlowe96

You said "If I remove my GPu from the pcie 2 slot and unplug the 2x8pin connector, then boot, it starts up as normal."

Are you saying the monitor is connected to the MB and the display is working ?
    Which port(s) have you tested on back of MB ? (manual page 5)
    DVI-D Port
    HDMI Port
    DisplayPort 1.2

Manual page 1 , item 1 (ATX 12V Power Connector (ATX12V1)) --- is this connected ?

I have only tried the hdmi on the motherboard and one of the hdmi's on the GPU, both have the same result (monitor receives no signal)

If I completely remove the GPu from the system, and connect my monitor to the pc using the motherboard hdmi, it boot to the "insert a drive to boot from and press any key" screen (I haven't yet installed an OS as I wanted to get the system working first)

And yes the 24pin is definitely fully connected as are all the other cables.

Thanks for helping :)
    Jlowe96
    Re: No display with gtx 1070 connected 2016/12/26 09:20:18 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    3etatester

+1

The PSU cables, 8-pin block into the PSU, the 6-pin +2-pin go into the GPU / card

Make sure GPU is fully seated and locked into the PCIe slot

Confirm all power cables are fully seated and the lock tab is closed / latched -- sometimes the connectors get tight before fully installed

What code is displayed on the Debug LED on your MB ?

The RAM you installed was approved / tested by MB or RAM mfg as compatible ?

I'm sure all the cables are connected, and I'm pretty sure the GPu is fully seated, it clicked into place and doesn't appear to be any room to push it in further, also the screw section on the left is perfectly flush with the chassis and lines up with the screw holes. The only thing I would mention is that I was unable to close the latch on the right side of the pcie port as it hits the GPu when I try to close it.

I'm not sure what code is shown, I'll get back to you on that when I get home.

I'm not sure how to check the ram is compatible... But as far as I can tell it is as it is recognised and seems to be working when I checked in the bios (I had to remove the GPu to be able to see the bios as I have no output when gpu is connected.)

Thanks.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: No display with gtx 1070 connected 2016/12/26 09:28:37 (permalink)
    OK,  from MB video out port you get a signal --- good

Most MB mfg make a document of tested and approved CPU and RAM

RAM mfg also usually publish what RAM the make has been tested with your MB

***** when properly installed the "latch" on the PCIe port will close and "lock" GPU card in place *****

This is an issue you will need to figure out.  If GPU is not fully seated, it will not work

Looks like BIOS UEFI starts on page 56 - 93 and is very detailed
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/12/26 09:32:03

Jlowe96
    Re: No display with gtx 1070 connected 2016/12/26 09:54:31 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    OK,  from MB video out port you get a signal --- good

Most MB mfg make a document of tested and approved CPU and RAM

RAM mfg also usually publish what RAM the make has been tested with your MB

***** when properly installed the "latch" on the PCIe port will close and "lock" GPU card in place *****

This is an issue you will need to figure out.  If GPU is not fully seated, it will not work

Looks like BIOS UEFI starts on page 56 - 93 and is very detailed

**Please note I only get signal from the motherboard output after I remove the GPu from the system completely**

OK I've had a look online and I'm fairly certain the ram is compatible. Would the ram appear and be recognised in the bios if it wasnt compatible with the mobo?

Hmm, I'll have a double check of that latch, perhaps it is all the way up as there doesn't seem to be any more room to push the GPu in, it's not possible to push it in too far is it?

Just had read through the uefi settings in the manual, there is an option called PCH PCIE ASPM Support, i will ensure this is enabled when I get home to have another look.

Thanks.
    3etatester
    iCX Member
    Re: No display with gtx 1070 connected 2016/12/26 10:15:51 (permalink)
    For CSM options, look for video oprom. I don't know what the MB is defaulting to but you may want to try UEFI only or do not launch.

You'll need to do this with the GPU out of the system, save changes, drop it back in and move the monitor to the GPU.

If a change causes you to no longer get video on integrated, power down and reset the CMOS. This takes the system back to defaults.

First builds are a good learning experience, don't let it get to you.

Jlowe96
    Re: No display with gtx 1070 connected 2016/12/26 16:22:25 (permalink)
    Hi guys, just wanted to update in case anyone ever gets stuck. I managed to get it working by removing the GPu, connecting my hdmi to the mobo and then going into the bios settings. In bios I selected advanced settings, then chipset configuration and then enabled the PCH PCIE ASPM Support option. Save that, then switch off and reinstall GPu, connect hdmi to the GPu output and bam, works perfect.

Thanks to everyone who replied it was a big help.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: No display with gtx 1070 connected 2016/12/26 16:24:28 (permalink)
    Jlowe96
    Hi guys, just wanted to update in case anyone ever gets stuck. I managed to get it working by removing the GPu, connecting my hdmi to the mobo and then going into the bios settings. In bios I selected advanced settings, then chipset configuration and then enabled the PCH PCIE ASPM Support option. Save that, then switch off and reinstall GPu, connect hdmi to the GPu output and bam, works perfect.

Thanks to everyone who replied it was a big help.

Happy to see you got it sorted

Read through the Forums, lot of good information

don't be a stranger

Please edit your Post title - ADD the word: fixed or solved to the beginning - helps  other looking for solutions

Go to your first post , click "edit" then you can edit "Title"
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/12/26 16:26:48

3etatester
    iCX Member
    Re: No display with gtx 1070 connected 2016/12/26 16:55:00 (permalink)
    Sweet! Glad you got it running.

tompson2
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: No display with gtx 1070 connected 2021/06/10 23:23:21 (permalink)
    Hi! I have kinda the same problem as Jlowe96.

My PC's specs:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600;
    Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer eSports DUO;
    MB: MSI B350 Tomahawk;
    RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3200Mhz, CL 16;
    SSD: Kingston A400 240GB 2.5";
    HDD: WD Blue 1TB;
    PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus GOLD 550W modular; (I'm using the original PSU cables, no extensions and stuff like that).
    Case: FD Meshify C;
    Monitor: Samsung T24D390 TV/Monitor, 1080p, 60Hz.

My card is the EVGA GTX 1070 SC GAMING

Short story:
    On the morning of June, 3rd, 2021 (around a week ago) my PC was running normally, so when I had to go to work, I left my PC in sleep mode and went to work. When I got back home and turned my PC on after 8-9 hours, there was no signal!
    I mean... apparently the monitor was detecting that something is connected to it because automatically knew which of the HDMI's were connected. (Tried connecting my GPU to both, but no result)
    Still... the only thing showing on it is "no signal".
    Otherwise the card and the whole PC, seems to work fine... When I restart the PC, both fans of the GPU start spinning, and around the point where it should be logging into windows the second fan stops, while the one on the left continue to spin. The LED's on the GPU are working too.

The only ports on the monitor are HDMI (DVI), HDMI (MHL) and one VGA.
    I checked if it was from the cable or the monitor, so I connected my friend's laptop with my HDMI cable to the monitor and everything was fine. So the problem seems to be with my GPU. The first thing I tried was to clear the CMOS. No result.
    I don't have any monitor with DisplayPort or even a DisplayPort to HDMI cable so I can check if the other connectors on my GPU will work (I doubt that tho...).

The main reason for me to not be able to identify the problem further is that my CPU is AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - so there's no integrated video, and I cant uninstal the drivers and stuff like that.
    So what do you think? Could it be a driver or the HDMI itself or something else?
    The card is still in warranty, tho I'm in eastern europe (Bulgaria if it matters) and shipping it to Germany (closest EVGA center to RMA) will be really expensive and risky so that's not an option. 
    That's why I left my PC in a local PC service, but after 2 days it seems that they wont be able to fix it. The only thing they told me till now is that they tried different GPU on my PC and that GPU was working.
    post edited by tompson2 - 2021/06/10 23:44:21
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile