EVGA

New issues X299 FTW K with Ram slots

Author
Alex.Be
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/11/28 22:16:18 (permalink)
I contacted Evga earlier today, but not sure message went through since dont see it in my product support history but maybe takes a bit to show up and forums sometimes know answer quicker then Evga support. I previously had only momentary power on issues, figured out it was my PSU. New one got me running since. Since then have upgraded to the 2080 GPU and i9 9940x. Been running fine since and had 32 GB in slots 1,3,5,7 show as I setup BIOS for new processor initially. Today noticed doing various benchmarks I only showed 24 GB of my 32 GB installed. Went to BIOS and it showed same, the RAM in slot 3 was not registering. Removed stick and reinserted, same result. Swapped the sticks in slots 1 and 3 with each other, still no RAM registering in slot 3, but the same stick that was in slot 3 previously shows up in slot 1. Figure this eliminated RAM stick issues, but noticed i had a fairly old bios version. Said screw it I will lose all my settings and update. Updated to 1.24 successfully, still no RAM recognized in slot 3, ones in 1,5,7 all fine. At this point I'm running in default settings, no overclocks or the like since BIOS update. Figured to try other slots, moving stick from slot 3 to 4, same result not registering. Moving same stick from slot 4 to 2, BIOS shows 32 GB and windows/apps show that too. So what the heck is causing slots 3 and 4 to not recognize the RAM other then Mobo issue? Because sure I have 32 GB usable now but i cant run it in quad channel mode now. 

Sorry for long post, figured more detail better then generic.

Thanks,
Alex

5 Replies Related Threads

KrikU
    • Total Posts : 22
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: New issues X299 FTW K with Ram slots 2020/11/29 03:51:05 (permalink)
    Still faulty memory stick I think, had similar thing when I first built my x299 system. RMA memory and try again.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30978
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: New issues X299 FTW K with Ram slots 2020/11/29 05:21:58 (permalink)
    Is fast boot off in BIOS & fast startup in Win10 ?

Could be a Memory training issues ?

Maybe bent pins under your CPU ? -->  Started when you swapped CPUs --> too much pressure on the CPU or Uneven tightening of the CPU cooler screws maybe ?

CPU setting in the BIOS  IMC .... Voltage .... as the Mem controller is in the CPU & each CPU might require different settings

We have to guess that with a strong light & magnification (cell camera) you did not see anything inside the RAM sockets - & Zero damage to the RAM sticks

Good read --> (guide) xDevs.com | OC Guide for EVGA X299 DARK motherboard

(excerpt)

"loosening timings and increase of the DDR4/Uncore voltages"

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Alex.Be
    Re: New issues X299 FTW K with Ram slots 2020/11/29 11:51:14 (permalink)
    Still faulty memory stick I think, had similar thing when I first built my x299 system. RMA memory and try again.
    -i wouldn't say I am any expert so can't debate the theory, but not a new build and same 4 sticks worked in same system for however long, only noticed lack of 8 GB when benchmarked, and same 4 sticks work in other slots just running in God knows what mode right now. But maybe Ill start looking into Crucials warranty info too.
    Is fast boot off in BIOS & fast startup in Win10 ?
    -would have been on when all 4 slots/sticks worked, right now at default bios settings whatever those are after update of bios(im not re config overclocks and voltages as sort this out)
    Maybe bent pins under your CPU ? -->  Started when you swapped CPUs --> too much pressure on the CPU or Uneven tightening of the CPU cooler screws maybe ?
    Did not start when swapped CPUs, started at some point after, but had my quad channel 32 GB with new CPU and GPU installed

If it makes a difference, there is "power" getting to the slots not recognizing sticks because the LEDs on the RAM light up in 3 and 4, just not registering. Whatever that means.

Right now all works "well" like this, just cant move the 1 stick to the left of CPU closer to the CPU to the right slot.

post edited by Alex.Be - 2020/11/29 12:03:06
    Alex.Be
    Re: New issues X299 FTW K with Ram slots 2020/12/06 15:06:39 (permalink)
    Of course trying to reply to EVGA support, the site gives me errors. :(  I'll check later to see if actually went through before spamming same reply and info they requested.

Attached Image(s)

Flearoy88
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: New issues X299 FTW K with Ram slots 2021/02/23 10:20:55 (permalink)
    Hi
    2021 Jan build
    I have the same issue with a EVGA X299 FTW K motherboard. Installed 32gb Corsair 3600MHZ ram and when i overclock anything more than 3600MHZ a slot disappears to 24gb. I can only fix this by going under 3600Mhz clock. CPU doesn't matter, overclocked or base still same result. Running I9-7900X 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile