EVGA

NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of installing

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Fieldgoal00
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/07/25 12:30:18 (permalink)
I was one of the guys who's 3090 FTW3 Ultra was bricked by New World on Tuesday night (7/20/21). I called EVGA first thing Thursday morning, setup the cross-ship RMA, put a hold on my credit card for almost $3900 in order to get the card as soon as possible. They shipped the card out next day air and I received it Thursday morning. I was out of town until this afternoon so when I got home I was anxious to open up my "refurbished" 3090. To my surprise it was a completely BNIB 3090 FTW3 Ultra card. I opened it up, and placed it into my computer. 

I turned my CPU on and everything seemed perfect, the card was running everything looked good. The only issue was that my RGB case fans were all not lit up, so I opened up Corsair's iCue software and set them all up to be lit up and that was that. 

I decided to shut down my PC and then restart it to make sure the case fan lighting settings were saved. As soon as the computer started up everything seemed normal until I noticed that the 3090 was not lit up at all except for a single red led on the board itself directly above where the power connectors are. To be exact, there are 4 LEDs if you're looking at the card installed from left to right. The light that is on is the 2nd light in the series. 

Keep in mind that I simply seated the new 3090 and plugged in my 3-8pin connectors that were plugged into my other 3090. No other changes were made.

I guess my luck just ran out and I'll be on the phone with EVGA's Tech Support once again for another RMA.

Does anyone know exactly what each light means? 

Attached Image(s)

68 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 12:38:58 (permalink)
    I know the red light means that power isn’t passing through that connector properly. That is most likely an issue on the card itself, but just for sanities sake, I would suggest disconnecting the cables from the GPU and psu, and making sure everything is seated properly in the connectors, then reseating them. Hopefully it will work, but if not, you may have to RMA this card.

It is very strange that a second card would have issues right out of the box though.
    speedysloth
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 132
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 12:42:43 (permalink)
    You're not getting a display as well? Not sure if it'll help but maybe try using the original cables that came with your PSU to rule those out as a problem.
    random_matt
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 12:47:12 (permalink)

Misread, ignore.

Corsair 5000D Airflow | EVGA 1000 G6 | EVGA X570 FTW | Ryzen 5800X | EVGA 360 CLC | Corsair 4000MHz 32GB|
    Corsair MP600 2TB | EVGA 3080 Ti FTW Hybrid | Alienware AW2721D | Windows 11

Fieldgoal00
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 12:47:56 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    I know the red light means that power isn’t passing through that connector properly. That is most likely an issue on the card itself, but just for sanities sake, I would suggest disconnecting the cables from the GPU and psu, and making sure everything is seated properly in the connectors, then reseating them. Hopefully it will work, but if not, you may have to RMA this card.

It is very strange that a second card would have issues right out of the box though.

like I said it originally started up fine, everything was working. I properly shut my computer down and turned it back on. Upon turning it back on the red light was on and the card was dead, no video output, no lighting on it other than that red led. I swapped all three of those power connectors around and no matter the orientation the same red light stayed on.
    liud21
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 12:49:25 (permalink)
    Next card you get back, just sell it and buy a MSI or ASUS...
    Fieldgoal00
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 12:50:09 (permalink)
    random_matt

Misread, ignore.

Don't worry I've already deleted New World from my PC before I got the new 3090 lol
    Fieldgoal00
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 12:52:32 (permalink)
    speedysloth
    You're not getting a display as well? Not sure if it'll help but maybe try using the original cables that came with your PSU to rule those out as a problem.

I swapped them all around and the issue remains. I wish they would tell us what each of these 4 leds on the board are for so we can stop guessing.
    ObscureEmpyre
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 972
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 12:53:56 (permalink)
    Swap your left PCI-E cable with the middle one. Is the middle red LED now illuminated? I had this issue when I swapped out some power cables recently. One of them wasn’t plugged in all the way at the PSU end. Maybe you somehow bumped one of yours loose.

kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 12:56:53 (permalink)
    Aftermarket cables. Probably the worst thing ever.

Also highlights the importance of having a CPU with integrated graphics that will let you test system integrity without a GPU.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/07/25 12:59:14
    Fieldgoal00
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 13:00:49 (permalink)
    ObscureEmpyre
    Swap your left PCI-E cable with the middle one. Is the middle red LED now illuminated? I had this issue when I swapped out some power cables recently. One of them wasn’t plugged in all the way at the PSU end. Maybe you somehow bumped one of yours loose.

yeah did that because I read somewhere that from Left to Right (X0) (X1) (X2) (X3) the leds represent a PCI-E connection. So i tried it out, I removed the far right PCI-E connection and then turned the PC on, when I did that (X1) remained on, but now (X3) was on as well. 

I turned the PC off, plugged back in the PCI-E connector and removed the middle PCI-E connector and then turned the PC on, when I did that (X1) and now (X2) was on as well.

I the swapped the middle connector with the far left, middle connector with the far right, far left with the far right and no matter which ones were plugged in where, as long as all three PCI-E connectors were plugged in, (X1) remained on.

Also these are all 8 Pin cables to the power supply, I am not running pigtails.

I have never seen the far left LED (X0) on ever.

Attached Image(s)

Fieldgoal00
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 13:04:04 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    Aftermarket cables. Probably the worst thing ever.

Also highlights the importance of having a CPU with integrated graphics that will let you test system integrity without a GPU.

I have integrated graphics, and it works fine using it. I have my old 1080TI plugged in the same PCIE slot right now and powered off the same cables and it works fine. Again everything worked with my old 3090 like a charm until New World. This literally required me to remove the dead 3090 and install the new 3090. I didn't add/remove power cables or anything of the sort. 

Do you think I'm enjoying writing this post? I'm pretty pissed that this card literally died on the second startup in my PC.
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 13:05:16 (permalink)
    Fieldgoal00
    speedysloth

I swapped them all around and the issue remains. I wish they would tell us what each of these 4 leds on the board are for so we can stop guessing.

- Remove aftermarket cables and destroy them.  Recommend chopping up, burning, then burying in at least three separate locations, followed by standard anti-demonic chanting.

- Install OEM cables.

Fieldgoal00

I have integrated graphics, and it works fine using it. I have my old 1080TI plugged in the same PCIE slot right now and powered off the same cables and it works fine. Again everything worked with my old 3090 like a charm until New World. This literally required me to remove the dead 3090 and install the new 3090. I didn't add/remove power cables or anything of the sort. 

Do you think I'm enjoying writing this post? I'm pretty pissed that this card literally died on the second startup in my PC.

See above.  Good luck, sorry to hear about your troubles.

post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/07/25 13:06:24
    ObscureEmpyre
    SSC Member
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 13:08:05 (permalink)
    Fieldgoal00
    ObscureEmpyre

yeah did that because I read somewhere that from Left to Right (X0) (X1) (X2) (X3) the leds represent a PCI-E connection. So i tried it out, I removed the far right PCI-E connection and then turned the PC on, when I did that (X1) remained on, but now (X3) was on as well. 

I turned the PC off, plugged back in the PCI-E connector and removed the middle PCI-E connector and then turned the PC on, when I did that (X1) and now (X2) was on as well.

I the swapped the middle connector with the far left, middle connector with the far right, far left with the far right and no matter which ones were plugged in where, as long as all three PCI-E connectors were plugged in, (X1) remained on.

Is it safe to assume you tried different 8-pin ports on your PSU? Also, do you have a different PSU or even GPU you could test with?

Fieldgoal00
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 13:10:33 (permalink)
    ObscureEmpyre
    Fieldgoal00
    ObscureEmpyre

Is it safe to assume you tried different 8-pin ports on your PSU? Also, do you have a different PSU or even GPU you could test with?

I have a Corsair HX850I

Yes I tried different ports.

I currently have a 1080TI running off the same ports, using the same cables right now on this computer.
    redteamgo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 798
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 13:15:59 (permalink)
    kevin, my 3090 power 8pin failed this morning too in a way that is very similar to yours.  I powered down while I went to walk the dogs.  came back, powered back up and it was toast.  my card doesn't have the LED above the power slot, but the OLED screen indicates the same thing I think.  2nd card, very frustrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7MBcJ-Uy4A

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
    GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
    MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
    PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
    Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
    NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
    Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
    Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
    ObscureEmpyre
    SSC Member
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 13:23:57 (permalink)
    Fieldgoal00
    ObscureEmpyre
    Fieldgoal00
    ObscureEmpyre

I have a Corsair HX850I

I currently have a 1080TI running off the same ports, using the same cables right now on this computer.

Have you tried the OC BIOS of your 3090?

speedysloth
    Superclocked Member
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 13:29:27 (permalink)
    Fieldgoal00
    ObscureEmpyre
    Fieldgoal00
    ObscureEmpyre

I have a Corsair HX850I

I understand and it makes sense to assume the cables are fine but to rule the cables being an issue it makes sense to use the OEM cables as well.
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 13:34:20 (permalink)
    i would be dubious to let a 3rd 3090 gpu try that PSU

like is said earlier a flaky PSU - which might work on an older GPU -
    may not on a 3090 because of the power draw - causing dirty power and power spikes which may damage the new card

once again i will tell users that blaming a gpu  from burning out or a gpu mfg when the culprit is a flaky PSU 
    again this would also explain why other cards ...other than a 3090 are failing too

im not saying this is the case but jumping to conclusions is not the best measure here

evga may have to beef up the card a bit more to handle PSUs that are out of whack to handle dirty power better and overpower better

if the problem is un the fan conroller then EVGA has to rework the firmware and board to fix that,,,,may beef that up as well

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2021/07/25 13:35:37

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

justintylerwright
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 19:20:37 (permalink)
    Ive never seen anything as wild as blaming custom cables for bad card design.

CPU: Intel i9-10850K
    Cooling: CORSAIR - Hydro Series H115i RGB Platinum 280mm Radiator
    Mother Board: ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
    GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200
    SSDs: 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD, 1x Samsung (MZ-V7E1T0BW) 970 EVO SSD 1TB
    Case: View 51 Tempered Glass Snow ARGB Edition
    PSU: CORSAIR - RMx Series 850W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply
    Monitor: LG 27GL850-B 27 Inch Ultragear
    Keyboard: Ducky OneTwo TKL
    Mouse: Glorious Model O Wireless
    schulmaster
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 19:29:20 (permalink)
    justintylerwright

It's on par with equating 'ease of easily exchanging bad card designs for refurbished bad card designs' w/ "unparalleled customer service." 
    post edited by schulmaster - 2021/07/25 19:31:34

Case: --InWin LE S-Frame #111/500--
    Board: ASUS x299 SAGE WS 
    CPU: i9 10980XE (18C/36T) @ [4.0GHz - 4.5GHz]
    CPU Cooling: Noctua NHD15S 
    RAM:
    64GB Vengeance PRO Quad Channel @ 3.2GHz 
    GPU: ASUS RTX 3090 STRIX OC Edition
    Display:
    27" 2560x1440 Asus Swift 165Hz IPS GSYNC
    Storage:
    2x 1TB Micron 1100s SSDs RAID0 (OS)
    2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Steam)
    4TB WD Enterprise 
    1TB 10000RPM Velociraptor
    SPU: Creative AE7 
    PSU: Corsair AX1600i  
    justintylerwright
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 19:32:29 (permalink)
    schulmaster
    justintylerwright

It's on par with equating 'ease of easily exchanging bad card designs for refurbished bad card designs' as "unparalleled customer service." 

Yeah im having my 3090 RMA's this week. Cant wait for the show. I was like do not send me a refurb'd card or a Rev 0.1, thats not fixing anything.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2021/07/26 03:23:48

SSDs: 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD, 1x Samsung (MZ-V7E1T0BW) 970 EVO SSD 1TB
    PSU: CORSAIR - RMx Series 850W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 19:32:39 (permalink)
    justintylerwright

Welcome to the EVGA forums where GPU troubleshooting lives.  People have had problems with custom cables before causing bad connection.  Dodgy no-name contacts, marginal crimps, poor wire.  Trust me man, I have good amount of experience with electronics cables, probably more than 99.9% of the people here.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 19:34:45 (permalink)
    Xavier Zepherious
    evga may have to beef up the card a bit more to handle PSUs that are out of whack to handle dirty power better and overpower better

Let it go man.  When will you stop blaming power supplies and cables?  Are you taking this to your grave?  It's been 8 months and the evidence keeps mounting that there is a problem.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

justintylerwright
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 19:39:19 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    justintylerwright

Welcome to the EVGA forums where GPU troubleshooting lives.  People have had problems with custom cables before causing bad connection.  Dodgy no-name contacts, marginal crimps, poor wire.  Trust me man, I have good amount of experience with electronics cables, probably more than 99.9% of the people here.

Do you have any company recommendations? Corsair hasnt had 8 pin cables in stock for almost 7 months and im looking to replace my pig tailed cables. I ordered custom cables from Mainframe but the order will not be fulfilled for some weeks.

kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 20:28:24 (permalink)
    justintylerwright
    kevinc313
    justintylerwright

Do you have any company recommendations? Corsair hasnt had 8 pin cables in stock for almost 7 months and im looking to replace my pig tailed cables. I ordered custom cables from Mainframe but the order will not be fulfilled for some weeks.

Looks like newegg has sets of the Corsair made fancy pants individually sleeved cables, not sure they are what you are looking for.  But Corsair's own cables are the only ones I would use.

Edit: This appears in stock..?

https://www.corsair.com/u...e-4-Gen-4/p/CP-8920243

Edit 2: Found it, I think. $4.69 each, nice.

https://www.provantage.co...p-8920111~7CRSC00W.htm
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/07/25 20:49:21
    speedysloth
    Superclocked Member
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 20:34:27 (permalink)
    justintylerwright

Its entirely possible that the cables could be at fault. People get too comfortable using non-OEM cables and extensions without realizing they could play a factor in poor/bad power. Not saying that is the cause here but as we don't have access to OP's PC, all we can do is to make possible suggestions and rule things out.
    gsrcrxsi
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 985
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 21:29:39 (permalink)
    Fieldgoal00
    I was one of the guys who's 3090 FTW3 Ultra was bricked by New World on Tuesday night (7/20/21). I called EVGA first thing Thursday morning, setup the cross-ship RMA, put a hold on my credit card for almost $3900 in order to get the card as soon as possible.

You mean EVGA, in fact, didn’t just send you a new card for free no questions asked and with no special treatment and instead just followed their existing RMA procedures??

Color me shocked.

Rig1: EPYC 7V12 | [4] RTX A4000
    Rig2: EPYC 7B12 | [5] 3080Ti + [2] 2080Ti
    Rig3: EPYC 7B12 | [6] 3070Ti + [2] 3060
    Rig4: [2] EPYC 7742 | RTX A2000
    Rig5: [2] EPYC 7642
    Rig6: EPYC 7551 | [4] Titan V

justintylerwright
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 22:01:21 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    justintylerwright
    kevinc313
    justintylerwright

Looks like newegg has sets of the Corsair made fancy pants individually sleeved cables, not sure they are what you are looking for.  But Corsair's own cables are the only ones I would use.

You seem like a good person to ask, how completely necessary are inline capacitor cables?

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: NEW RMA'D 3090 FTW3 ULTRA from the NEW WORLD Issue is dead within 10 minutes of instal 2021/07/25 22:05:59 (permalink)
    justintylerwright
    kevinc313
    justintylerwright
    kevinc313
    justintylerwright

You seem like a good person to ask, how completely necessary are inline capacitor cables?

They are not needed, period.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile