EVGA

AnsweredResolved - My RMA was rejected for the very reason I sent it in to begin with

Author
rsvaughnua
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/08/14 11:45:00 (permalink)

I recently discovered some damage to on of the power pins that go into the PCIe slot on my GTX 1060 card and after a little back and forth with support supplying pictures and information I was told to send in my card for an RMA only for it to be denied for the reason I was sending it in for.  I did not open the RMA myself but a service tech did it for me and it was then approved.  I just received word today that my RMA was being denied for the reason that I sent it in in the first place.  I am just confused as to why I would have been told to start an RMA for it when it was going to be denied for the reason I was starting it to begin with.  If the reason I was sending my card in for a RMA made it ineligible for an RMA then why lead me to believe it would be replaced?  I am now not only out a GPU but also the $30 I paid in expedited shipping. 

Attached are two of the pictures I included in my description with my conversations with support, its hard to make out in the first picture but it is visible in the second and these were both pictures I submitted as part of my support ticket.

This is a picture of I what I received back from EVGA stating why my RMA was being rejected

Attached Image(s)

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: My RMA was rejected for the very reason I sent it in to begin with 2018/08/14 11:59:09 (permalink)
Forwarded this to EVGA

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: My RMA was rejected for the very reason I sent it in to begin with 2018/08/14 12:14:42 (permalink)
I can understand your disappointed

My best Guess:

Hands-on closer exam by EVGA may have determined the Card was not the cause of the damage but rather the Victim of some other component failing ?

I'd call Customer Service & ask for clarity on your specific RMA

https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

rsvaughnua
Re: My RMA was rejected for the very reason I sent it in to begin with 2018/08/14 13:46:53 (permalink)
Cool GTX
I can understand your disappointed

My best Guess:

Hands-on closer exam by EVGA may have determined the Card was not the cause of the damage but rather the Victim of some other component failing ?

I'd call Customer Service & ask for clarity on your specific RMA

So I contacted customer service and since the damage was not due to an internal fault in the card and possibly from an external source it can not be RMA'd but the tech who set up my RMA insinuated that this is something that could be covered under the warranty.  Direct from my support ticket after seeing the pictures of the damage to the card

"We're more than happy to assist with a replacement for your video card "

to me that is saying that I was going to be receiving a replacement card, no where did anyone say to me that it could be sent back to me with no replacement. They said that damage like this is caused to a fault in mounting the card, a fault in the motherboard PCIe slot or a power surge issue.  Knowing what I was describing in my tickets and with the pictures I feel like I should never have been asked to open the RMA and I am just out of luck.  

I don't even really care about the money I spent to ship it more so that I have been dealing with this for 2 weeks between the back and forth with support and then the shipping and it taking more than a few days to even get it processes after it was received.  If the first person would have told me no there is no way we can replace that I would have not been near as agitated as I am right now.  I am working on a new PC build right now and have just been waiting on my RMA'd card to finish it.   I did buy an EVGA power supply and I am going to be returning that and not ever buying an EVGA product again after this fiasco.  

Get your tech's responses  standardized on this kind of stuff or you are going to lose more customers EVGA.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: My RMA was rejected for the very reason I sent it in to begin with 2018/08/14 14:19:28 (permalink)

I get your point loud and clear .... time lost, frustration .....

Please Ask for a Managers review, maybe for "Good Will" something can be done.

RJ posted he forward your concern to EVGA, has anyone reached out to you ?

I'm just a Volunteer, not an employee of EVGA

I've seen that kind of damage from two causes:
     1) card not fully seated, or came out when in use
     2) card installed or removed with power to MB - the PSU must be unplugged & discharged as even "off" there is power to the MB

The bottom line, I can only guess - You may know what or why .... Asking for a review is all I can offer you

I made a Post on EVGA's Discord section --> asking for a review of your thread, looks very quiet on there right now - not sure when you might get a response

Sorry I can't offer more help

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

rsvaughnua
Re: My RMA was rejected for the very reason I sent it in to begin with 2018/08/14 14:44:51 (permalink)
Cool GTX

I get your point loud and clear .... time lost, frustration .....

Please Ask for a Managers review, maybe for "Good Will" something can be done.

RJ posted he forward your concern to EVGA, has anyone reached out to you ?

I'm just a Volunteer, not an employee of EVGA

I've seen that kind of damage from two causes:
     1) card not fully seated, or came out when in use
     2) card installed or removed with power to MB - the PSU must be unplugged & discharged as even "off" there is power to the MB

The bottom line, I can only guess - You may know what or why .... Asking for a review is all I can offer you

I made a Post on EVGA's Discord section --> asking for a review of your thread, looks very quiet on there right now - not sure when you might get a response

Sorry I can't offer more help

I definitely appreciate the words and help here.  From EVGA's perspective I totally understand why my RMA was denied that there was damage to the card as not a result of a manufacturing defect internally to the card itself.  Giving out replacements for hardware failure regardless of source would be a terrible idea and its only reasonable for their warranties and RMA process to have the rules and guidelines they have set out.  The damage is likely due to my actions or a powersurge or failure of my motherboard and I can't expect EVGA to cover for that.    As much as I would appreciate a special exception in my case I can't expect them to do that but I am just extremely frustrated with be lead to believe that I would receive a replacement card and having to deal with all of this for nothing.  
EVGATech_JaesonW
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 910
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: My RMA was rejected for the very reason I sent it in to begin with 2018/08/14 16:47:48 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby EVGATech_DanielM 2018/08/14 19:08:56
Hello rsvaughnua,

I'm sorry for the confusion with our RMA. Normally an RMA is just that, authorization to return a product. Under our warranty terms, any physical damage would need to be inspected when the product arrives. On occasion, when we get a product in hand, even after having pictures, it may be more obvious that the damage was not caused by a failure of the product itself, and the RMA will be rejected. I have reviewed your case, I can definitely see how the wording the tech used in his reply could made you think the damage wouldn't be an issue. In light of this, we'll go ahead and assist you with a replacement of your video card.

Again my apologies for the trouble and confusion. If you need anything else, please reach out directly to me at jwilda@evga.com.

EVGA Customer Service Manager
Have a moment? Please rate our service 
rsvaughnua
Re: My RMA was rejected for the very reason I sent it in to begin with 2018/08/14 17:07:30 (permalink)
EVGATech_JaesonW
Hello rsvaughnua,

I'm sorry for the confusion with our RMA. Normally an RMA is just that, authorization to return a product. Under our warranty terms, any physical damage would need to be inspected when the product arrives. On occasion, when we get a product in hand, even after having pictures, it may be more obvious that the damage was not caused by a failure of the product itself, and the RMA will be rejected. I have reviewed your case, I can definitely see how the wording the tech used in his reply could made you think the damage wouldn't be an issue. In light of this, we'll go ahead and assist you with a replacement of your video card.

Again my apologies for the trouble and confusion. If you need anything else, please reach out directly to me at

Holy crap I extremely appreciate this, one thing I will do if would help you is delete this post as to not fuel others to try and skirt the rules citing this as precedence.  
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: My RMA was rejected for the very reason I sent it in to begin with 2018/08/14 17:24:35 (permalink)
very nice of EVGA

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10103
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: My RMA was rejected for the very reason I sent it in to begin with 2018/08/14 17:57:41 (permalink)
I think the post should be kept up since it has usesful information that others would want to know about it’s an authorization not approval of a return.

One thing to keep in mind it sounds like the RMA was originally denyed because something else caused the damage according to the review of the card. I would be looking into what could cause that to happen before putting in the replacement. A new PSU or something like that might be a good idea.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: My RMA was rejected for the very reason I sent it in to begin with 2018/08/14 18:09:06 (permalink)
I'd also inspect the PCIe slot it came out of -- could be toast, might have to use another PCIe slot if the MB survived

EVGATech_DanielM
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 1132
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: My RMA was rejected for the very reason I sent it in to begin with 2018/08/14 19:10:06 (permalink)
Hoggle
I think the post should be kept up since it has usesful information that others would want to know about it’s an authorization not approval of a return.

One thing to keep in mind it sounds like the RMA was originally denyed because something else caused the damage according to the review of the card. I would be looking into what could cause that to happen before putting in the replacement. A new PSU or something like that might be a good idea.

That is a very good idea. 

Daniel 
davevt31
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1130
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: My RMA was rejected for the very reason I sent it in to begin with 2018/08/14 22:13:52 (permalink)
Also check to see if the back of the card slides out of the PCIe slot when you screw the bracket down.  I have seen cards that the back lifts a little in the slot when the bracket is screwed down, just push down on the card to make sure it is fully seated.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile