My EVGA RMA experience.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Jahonnes
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/03/28 06:34:41 (permalink)
I would like to share the experience I have had with EVGAs products and their RMA department. I have owned quite a few of their products and it appears that there are some serious issues with their quality control.

My first EVGA GPU was a GTX 980 Ti SC+ with ACX 2.0 cooler. This one had the loud, howling sound issue at certain fan speeds, which a lot of people have complained about. There are even few videos on Youtube about it, for some reason I can't link one here. Apparently the noise is caused by loose cooler fins that resonate at certain fan speeds. The noise was so disturbing, that I ended up RMAing the card. The shipping costs were a bit under 30 euros, and I had to wait for a few weeks to get a replacement GPU.

The replacement card I received was a GTX 980 Ti FTW, which is a small upgrade to the one I had. This one appeared to work fine, even though it's temperatures were a bit higher than on my SC+, but this is possibly due to the higher clockrates. The higher temperatures caused the fans to spin quite a lot faster, which again made the GPU a bit noisier than my previous GPUs. I have an R5 case with 2x GP-14 fans in the front and one at the back, so the higher temperatures are not caused by my system. But the noise was only disturbing when playing Witcher 3 with unlocked framerate, which is quite demanding for the GPU. Therefore the temps and noise were acceptable.

Still, I ended up selling the card to my friend and bought an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW instead, just to get a bit cooler and quieter GPU.

But again, I was a bit unlucky. Even though the cooler on this one was very quiet and managed to keep the temperatures low, it still had the loudest coil whine I've ever experienced, starting at around 100fps. A few days after buying it I also heard about the ”self combusting” tendencies and VRM temperature problems of the EVGA Pascal GPUs with ACX 3.0 cooler. To solve this issue, there was a new bios to be installed, which increased the fanspeeds quite a lot and made the card again a lot louder than it originally was. I could have made a custom fan curve to lower the sound, but I didn't want to do that since I didn't know how it would affect the VRM temps, that the bios upgrade was supposed to fix.

At this point I made an error. Instead of returning the GPU to the company that sold it to me and taking some other manufacturers product instead, I ended up ordering the thermal pads for the GPU I had paid 760€ for, so I could repair it's defect by myself. After receiving the thermal pads I spent a few weeks wondering wether I should install them or not, since the coil whine was still quite disturbing, and by using the Cross-ship RMA instead I would receive a new card instead. Again, I could have tried to contact the seller for RMA, but I decided to go with the EVGA's cross-ship RMA instead, so I wouldn't have to be without a graphics card for a weeks again. Some people on a Finnish nerd forum claimed that they were able to get EVGA pay for the shipping with the VRM heat issue RMA. But when I asked EVGA about this they rejected. So I ended up paying 46€ this time, since I wanted to include the insurance also because I didn't want to push my luck any further. Of course, I would have avoided this cost if I would have returned the card to the company that sold it to me, but it could have taken a couple of weeks and I was too addicted to Witcher 3 then.

At first I thought all the problems would be solved by the replacement card that I received. But after a bit of testing the it appeared to be suffering from the same howling sound at certain fanspeeds that made me RMA my first EVGA GPU in the first place. I went through all the cooler fins, and there appear to be a few loose ones at the left side of the card. Now the howling noise is loudest at 30% and 62% fanspeeds. 62% happens to be the speed of the fans when I play Witcher 3. So back to square one I might say. I will probably solve it by myself this time, since I really don't want to spend another 46 euros for shipping, just to get this issue replaced with a new one. I also found out, that the coilwhine of the previous card may not have been caused by the GPU itself, since I get the exact same noise with this one. It is quite possible, that the coilwhine is caused by the PSU instead of the GPU. My PSU is EVGA G2 750... The coilwhine is only audible when the system draws alot of power, and the only way for me to do it is to play a game or use a GPU benchmark. Therefore it is quite difficult to say wether the sound is coming from the PSU or the GPU. To confirm it, I would have to buy another PSU for testing. I am not willing to do that at the moment, nor am I willing to spend anymore money to send either of the products to EVGA. I could return the PSU to the company that sold it to me, but it would be a risk, since I cannot be certain that it is the cause of the coilwhine. I could end up paying for the shipping and for false RMA, if the PSU is not faulty.

At this point I'm starting to feel a bit frustrated. No, not just frustrated. I feel like I have been scammed. I bought my first EVGA product, because I heard the quality should be top notch. After all these issues I've had with their products, and even after the ”Thermal pad-self combusting-overheating VRM-repair it by yourself”-gate EVGA had with their Pascal GPUs with ACX 3.0 coolers, it appears that there is something horribly wrong with their quality control. And every time these problems occur, it costs me quite a lot of money to ship the defective product back to EVGA.

Now, is it possible that I've been just extremely unlucky? Yes, I think so. If so many of their GPU coolers were actually as bad as the ones I've had, their products wouldn't be praised in the reviews in such way that they are. At least I hope that most of the people who have bought Evgas products, haven't had any problems with them. Even though the thermal pad issue appeared to be quite wide spread.

Since so many of the issues are just my complaints about loud noise made by the coolers or coil whine, is it possible that I just have over sensitive hearing or something? Yes it is possible also. But, everyone who has used my computer has noticed the exact same issues with the GPUs that I've had. Also my wife has to listen to them, and it disturbs her too even when she is not in the same room. I've also never had such problems with any other manufacturers cards, and I've tried quite many of them. She suggested that I sell this one and go back to MSI, which I had before, just so that she wouldn't have to listen to the howling sound when I'm playing.

But there's more. When you do a cross-ship RMA with EVGA, you're supposed to pay a collateral for the replacement card. Mine was 760 euros. They are supposed to return the sum to you, once they receive the defective product. Well apparently something went wrong and this didn't happen. I used my fathers credit card to pay for it, since they didn't accept debit cards. To our surprise, he received a bill for the 760 euros a month after EVGA received the GPU. I can not understand how this is even possible anymore. I sent them an email about this yesterday morning, and they still haven't solved the issue. My guess is that their transaction to the Paypal account we used for paying has somehow failed. I will update this post about this situation, once I get a proper answer from them. Paying 760 euros extra for my RMA doesn't sound too reasonable, but since I'm dealing with EVGA, I wouldn't be surprised if that would be the case in the end. Hopefully not.

All I wanted to do, is to play games on a PC built with high quality components. Apparently I just chose the wrong manufacturer. Now I just hope I get my money back so I can replace the faulty parts that EVGA has sold me.

-------------------------------------------------------
Edited 31.3.2017

So I received the refund for the collateral almost immediately after posting this. I also received an email apology for the delayed payment from an EVGA employee at the same time. My response to him was short and perhaps even a bit rude. The next day I emailed him again, being a bit more polite this time and apologizing for the rude tone of my first message to him. I directly asked him if he could help me with the issues I'm still having with the GPU they sent me as a replacement, and possibly with the PSU also. I still haven't received a response from him, and I assume that I should've sent that email to eu customer service  instead. It is quite possible, that the person who sent me that message hasn't been at work since Tuesday. I will still wait for a few days and then perhaps send another email to supporteu instead, asking what should I do next with the replacement GPU that I received since it also appears to be defective.

I also captured the annoying howling noise to a video, and uploaded it on Youtube so people can judge if this is something they would RMA a GPU for. I know that the sound wouldn't even bother some people, but since I can clearly hear it even through my headphones and since my previous 1080 FTW didn't have that noise, I don't feel like I have received a proper replacement. There is always the possibility, that the sound is normal for ACX cooled EVGA GPUs, but since they so willingly replaced my GTX 980 Ti SC+ wich had the same sound, I assume that this isn't what they are supposed to sound like. Since so many people have complained about this exact same issue on the internet, and RMAd their cards because of it, I assume that it isn't supposed to sound like that. After all, my second 980 ti and my first 1080 FTW didn't have that annoying sound. I used my phone to capture the video and the sound, so the quality is quite bad. You can still hear it over all the other noises, because of it's high howling nature. It is even clearly audible to the next room when the door is open. Perhaps the solution would be just to place my case to another room and monitor/keyboard/mouse to another and close the door, since that seems to be the only way to avoid it. Perhaps it was meant to be used this way? I'll wait till Tuesday till I send them a new email asking for instructions. Hopefully they can help me with this, without me having to pay more money for sending it back to them. Of course I could solve the issue by creating custom fan curves that effectively avoid those rpms, but in my opinion I shouldn't have to do tricks like that with GPUs this expensive.

Still, all I want is to have a GPU that does what its supposed to, without the risk of setting on fire and without any extra noise caused by either bad design or bad quality control. And no, I don't want to pay any more money for it, since sending GPUs back and forth is getting quite expensive for me already. I even considered just selling this GPU as soon as possible, but if I would like to sell it, I would also have to tell the buyer about the sound that appears to be a defect. This would of course affect the resale value even if the buyer didn't care for it, but it would be unfair to sell it through internet without mentioning about it.

I will update this post again once I get a reply to the email I sent.

*Was unable to link the Youtube video on this post. It can be found from my Youtube channel "Jahonneksi"

------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion added 7th of April 2017.

EVGA accepted the GPU they sent me as a RMA replacement to be sent back to them for RMA. Since I would have to pay for the shipping for third time within a year, I don't want to do it anymore. There appears to be a very high risk of receiving a faulty GPU from EVGA, and if the next replacement is faulty too, I assume I would have to pay for the shipping of it too. Owning EVGA products is too expensive for me. I will solve this by some other way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 26th of April
Bad conclusion apparently, since it didn't conclude anything. I tried it again. Cross-ship RMA. Received a new card. Here is a soundsample. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FfPKx3fEsg&feature=youtu.be
Frustration grows. Don't know what to do anymore with this.
post edited by Jahonnes - 2017/04/25 14:38:52

33 Replies Related Threads

Jburton80
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/03/28 06:49:27 (permalink)
    Not getting much reply from anyone from EVGA on this forum or their reddit page with my own issues.

Hope you get some answers, good luck.
    Jahonnes
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/03/28 07:01:39 (permalink)
    Jburton80
    Not getting much reply from anyone from EVGA on this forum or their reddit page with my own issues.

15 minutes after posting this EVGA refunded the money to the Paypal account/credit card. This appears to be an effective method of communicating with them.
    maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10053
    • Ribbons : 165
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/03/28 07:04:51 (permalink)
    Welcome to the Forums 

"...Of course, I would have avoided this cost (*and everything else) if I would have returned the card to the company that sold it to me, but it could have taken a couple of weeks and I was too addicted to Witcher 3 then..."

As gamers we completely understand not wanting to be down at all
    But the downside (unfortunately) is described clearly in your post above... quite unlucky at every turn.
    A Custom fan curve to avoid the known trouble speeds would have been the fix of course, as would getting more airflow into your case.

The cross ship refund is another matter, probably related to the convoluted payment path and thats something -you- need to keep track of

There is no timeline in your post (so a step up may or may not be possible) but a full refund at this point would be unlikely....
    A Step up would be the best option if available.

Sorry to say (unless a step up is possible) it appears that you should just sell the card and buy something else that makes you happy  
    post edited by maniacvvv - 2017/03/28 07:10:38

maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/03/28 07:12:24 (permalink)
    Jahonnes
    Jburton80

15 minutes after posting this EVGA refunded the money to the Paypal account/credit card. This appears to be an effective method of communicating with them.

Nice!! Glad that part worked out

Jahonnes
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/03/28 07:15:12 (permalink)
    maniacvvv
    There is no timeline in your post (so a step up may or may not be possible) but a full refund at this point would be unlikely....
    A Step up would be the best option if available.

Sorry to say (unless a step up is possible) it appears that you should just sell the card and buy something else that makes you happy  

To be honest, I mainly posted this to motivate them to deal with the Cross-Ship collateral payment refund faster. Apparently it worked. But yes, I will not be able to return or step-up the card anymore, since it was bought in November 2016. I will probably try to sell it and perhaps buy a GTX 1080 Ti or a different GTX 1080, just to get rid of the annoying howling noise.

Evga hasn't offered me any compensations for the trouble's I've had with them, nor have I demanded any. But allowing me to use the step-up program to upgrade to a custom GTX 1080 Ti, even though 90 days have passed from the purchase, would make a bit happier customer. And yes, I wrote this here for a purpose, since I know they are reading it.
    post edited by Jahonnes - 2017/03/28 07:20:48
    maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/03/28 07:25:20 (permalink)
    Sorry you've had so many issues, I'm wishing you good luck moving forward with whatever happens

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/03/28 07:44:04 (permalink)
    Good morning and Welcome to the Forums Jahonnes

Just read your OP, and understand why you would be upset.

I can tell you that the reason you can't post a link is --- your a new account without enough posts

Do you log in on the EU site ?  http://eu.evga.com    did you contact support from http://eu.evga.com/support/

Check with PayPal, they do Not clear refunds the second they get them for refunds - check their terms.  I have no idea of what happened or why it took so long or where the issue was.

Simply suggesting that a Phone call may have been a quicker solution to the refund issue.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jahonnes
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/03/28 07:52:22 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Simply suggesting that a Phone call may have been a quicker solution to the refund issue.

I tried this twice. I first called on friday, but their European support had already closed and got connected to the US support instead. The person there wasn't able to help me. On monday I called again, and the European support wasn't able to help me either and therefore I ended up sending an email.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/03/28 07:56:10 (permalink)
    email sent to EU or USA support ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Jahonnes
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/03/28 08:03:18 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    email sent to EU or USA support ?

EU. But the issue is now solved. For some reason refund for the collateral had somehow failed, since when I called them they claimed that the refund had been done already in February. There is a high possibility that this wasn't Evgas fault at all, but with all the problems I've had with their products this managed to make me feel quite frustrated.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/03/28 08:10:54 (permalink)
    I've asked for EVGA employee to review your posts

I'm a volunteer Forums Moderator

Jahonnes
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/03/28 12:34:16 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    I've asked for EVGA employee to review your posts

I'm a volunteer Forums Moderator

I do not see what good will this serve, since they are already aware of the RMA cases I've had with their hardware. They are also aware of the failed/delayed collateral refund after the calls and emails I sent them, which then caused them to complete the refund today. I even mentioned the cooler noise of the replacement GPU I received with the latest RMA case, when I sent them a message asking for shipping instructions that were supposed to be included in the RMA confirmation email that I receive, but had also managed to somehow fall off the email. I got the instructions once they re-sent the email. Even though they didn't re-send it when I asked about it with a support ticket, but only once I called them about it. Only thing EVGAs EU RMA/Customer service is not aware of, is the coil whine coming from either the PSU or the GPU, since I will not pay another 42 euros/product to send them to EVGAs office in Germany for another RMA case. I'm pretty much done with dealing with them. I just hope that people who are about to buy EVGAs products in Europe read my post before doing so, just so they can be aware of the issues they may face when dealing with EVGAs products or their Customer/RMA services.

I do not know how EVGA has gained the reputation of having good, high quality products and good customer service/RMA department, since the experience I've had with them is completely opposite. But then again, I may have been just extremely unlucky.

I'm not angry at you Cool GTX. Forum moderators or the EVGAs US customer service have nothing to do with this. You are not in anyway responsible for the quality of EVGAs products. I just wish that EVGA can fix the problems they've had, so their customers wouldn't have to go through stuff like this. I'm just disappointed.
    Jahonnes
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/03/31 03:02:00 (permalink)
    I added some more information to the first post. I sent an email to an EVGA employee on Wednesday night and uploaded a video to Youtube today, demonstrating the sound the card is making at certain fan rpms  
    Sorry for the bad English and thick accent on the video, and on this thread. English is not my native language.

Now I'm waiting for a response to the email I sent. I sent it to the person who messaged me with an apology for the delayed collateral refund, since he finished his message with the words "Please let me know if I can assist you further." Perhaps I should've sent the email to supporteu at evga dot com instead. I will try that if I don't receive a response by Tuesday.

If that noise is something that is expected and normal with EVGAs ACX coolers, even if all of their GPUs don't suffer from it, I would like to have that confirmed by EVGA also. I'm quite sure it a lot of people find it quite bothering and would buy from a different manufacturer instead if they knew about it before buying. There appear to be quite many posts all over the internet about this exact same issue, and therefore it might be safe to say that it doesn't appear to be something that people expect from a GPU cooler.

Hopefully EVGA can find a solution for this situation. 

Ah, apparently I still can't link anything on my forum posts. The video can be found from my Youtube channel "Jahonneksi". There is also a short bouldering clip on the same channel, but it is in no way related to EVGA, and I don't blame them for the bad foot placement I had there. Since then my climbing technique has improved.
    post edited by Jahonnes - 2017/03/31 03:06:12
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/03/31 04:10:11 (permalink)
    jahonnes

There ya go bud.
    Jahonnes
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/04/05 01:27:56 (permalink)
    A small update again. I sent another email to EVGAs EU customer service on Monday, and they replied to me on Tuesday. They are opening a new RMA case for my GPU. Third time for me within a year.

I have also managed to somehow get rid of the coil whine. I left Heaven benchmark running over night, updated my motherboard's BIOS, removed and re-installed the PSU and removed and re-installed the GPU. There is no way for me to confirm which one of these actions was the solution, and what was the cause of the coil whine. I was supposed to borrow my brothers PSU today for testing, but since the issue is now gone there is no longer need for that. Of course I will update this post if it returns.

So far I'm quite pleased how things are going. I'm still a bit afraid whether or not I'm going to have to pay for the shipping to Germany for the third time. If this appears to be the case, I will have to consider another option, since just selling the GPU with it's defect may end up being a cheaper option for me in the long run.

I also took two more videos about the GPU. In the first one I tried to show how the sound sounds like at different rpms, but apparently my phones microphone isn't able to pick it up at 60-61%. It is still audible in the video at 62%-63%.
    I also took another video, where I show the GPU and go through the possible causes of the noise. There is a high possibility, that my speculations there are all wrong.

You can find the videos by going to my Youtube channel from the video that is linked to a post above this one.
    Jahonnes
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/04/06 14:01:10 (permalink)
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, shame on me.

I allowed EVGA to fool me three times. Don't know who's turn it is to shame now. They accepted the GPU that they sent me as a RMA replacement to be sent back to them for RMA. I would have to pay for the shipping. I'm done throwing more money away because of this. After all, in my experience there appears to be 75% chance of getting a faulty GPU when dealing with EVGA, so the cheapest solution will be just to get rid of the card before I end up paying any more.

At least these 12 months with EVGA products taught me a valuable lesson, one that I'm going to share to other PC-enthusiasts so they can be aware of the risks they may face when buying EVGA products.

Cya.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/04/06 19:55:54 (permalink)
    Jahonnes
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, shame on me.

I allowed EVGA to fool me three times. Don't know who's turn it is to shame now. They accepted the GPU that they sent me as a RMA replacement to be sent back to them for RMA. I would have to pay for the shipping. I'm done throwing more money away because of this. After all, in my experience there appears to be 75% chance of getting a faulty GPU when dealing with EVGA, so the cheapest solution will be just to get rid of the card before I end up paying any more.

At least these 12 months with EVGA products taught me a valuable lesson, one that I'm going to share to other PC-enthusiasts so they can be aware of the risks they may face when buying EVGA products.

Cya.

I've notified evga about your complaint.
    Jahonnes
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/04/25 14:31:45 (permalink)
    Apparently I am a stubborn idiot. I tried it again. I accepted the cross-ship RMA and received a replacement card today. Same exact howling noises at almost the same fan speeds. And yes, the GPU is the source of the noise, since the sound appears only when the GPU fans spin at certain speed. But, this card seems to run a bit less hot than the previous one, therefore avoiding the worst noise at around 63% is a bit easier. But this appears to have some kind of a background noise at all times when the fans are spinning. Possibly coming from the bearings or possibly bad fan or something. Sound sample of the new card https://www.youtube.com/w...g&feature=youtu.be

Now, could someone please confirm if this noise is something that is normal with ACX 3.0 cooled GPUs, or did I receive a bad GPU again? Sajin? Scarlet? Anyone?

I will email the customer support again tomorrow, but since getting any kind of responses from them is very difficult, I'm not sure what good that will do. Apparently the time limit for returning the previous card started running today once I received the GPU, so if it takes days for them to respond again, I will not be able to return it in time. 

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/04/25 14:36:22 (permalink)
    I've seen a few people complain about that noise before. I don't think it's normal.
    Jahonnes
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/04/25 14:39:24 (permalink)
    What would you suggest I do now? 4th RMA?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/04/25 14:41:28 (permalink)
    If it were my card I would just run the fans at a different speed that doesn't cause the noise.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/04/25 14:47:54 (permalink)
    Sajin
    If it were my card I would just run the fans at a different speed that doesn't cause the noise.

+1 why allow it to be a problem, when it can be avoided. Not sure what causes the howling, but if you change the fan speed a small amount and stop it, why wouldnt you?
    Jahonnes
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/04/25 15:08:22 (permalink)
    So you suggest that I accept the GPU with a fan that makes noises that aren't normal, and therefore can be seen as defective? Yes, I can do that. Apparently it is the only solution in this situation. In order to be able to use my 760€ EVGA GPU I will have to manually play with fan speeds to avoid noises, that even EVGAs forum moderators don't see as normal. This is funny.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/04/25 15:10:58 (permalink)
    Guess you'll need to keep rma'ing the card until you get one that is acceptable.
    vortex-5
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/05/02 13:48:43 (permalink)
    Hi my card a 1060 is doing the same thing except it's restricted to 36% - 37% and no other ranges. Did you eventually get a working RMA I'm starting to think this is a design flaw with the cooler itself.

You mentioned that the sound is caused by a loose fin on the heat sink is this physically detectable? On your current card that makes this noise are you able to identify the fin that is vibrating?

I'm thinking of doing the RMA process myself but if all the cards are like this then what's the point?
    Jahonnes
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/05/02 14:42:22 (permalink)
    vortex-5
    Hi my card a 1060 is doing the same thing except it's restricted to 36% - 37% and no other ranges. Did you eventually get a working RMA I'm starting to think this is a design flaw with the cooler itself.

You mentioned that the sound is caused by a loose fin on the heat sink is this physically detectable? On your current card that makes this noise are you able to identify the fin that is vibrating?

I'm thinking of doing the RMA process myself but if all the cards are like this then what's the point?

I sent another tech support ticket, and the person who answered me confirmed that the noise isn't normal. Today I sent back the GPU that I received as a replacement last week, so I haven't received a new one yet. My first 1080 didn't have this sound, but many ACX 3.0 cooled EVGA GPUs do have it, so yes, it appears to be some kind of a design flaw. The "loose fins"-theory was just a thing read somewhere when trying to find information about that sound, and I wasn't in any way able to confirm it. It is possible, that the noise is caused by something else. Funny thing that this design flaw hasn't gained any more publicity, even when it appears to be so common. A lot of people wouldn't risk buying a GPU from EVGA, if they knew about this. At least I wouldn't have.
    vortex-5
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/05/02 21:38:50 (permalink)
    Well let us know if you get a working unit I might RMA myself if you do but I don't really think the EVGA staff have an idea or have listened to this problem to know if it is normal or not are you on effectively your 5th rma?
    vortex-5
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/05/12 12:06:30 (permalink)
    I RMA'ed my card and the RMA'ed unit I received has the same noise but worse it has your background chattering noise for more of of the fan rpm range as in your last video.

I've decided to send them back the cross shipped RMA card at this point I don't think there is a solution if you manage to get a working card please update us because I've given up on getting a successful RMA'ed card that doesn't have this fan noise unless someone has a different experience or was able to get an RMA card that is actually better than their original noise problem.
    Jahonnes
    Re: My EVGA RMA experience. 2017/05/20 11:32:49 (permalink)
    vortex-5
    I RMA'ed my card and the RMA'ed unit I received has the same noise but worse it has your background chattering noise for more of of the fan rpm range as in your last video.

I've decided to send them back the cross shipped RMA card at this point I don't think there is a solution if you manage to get a working card please update us because I've given up on getting a successful RMA'ed card that doesn't have this fan noise unless someone has a different experience or was able to get an RMA card that is actually better than their original noise problem.

Just came back from my vacation, and it appears that the latest replacement has no noise issues and runs a lot cooler than my previous card. But this is after the first 10 minutes of quick testing. I will write my conclusion on this whole experience in the next few days.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile