Microsoft's Flight Simulator is shockingly gorgeous in these HD images

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/02/16 01:00:04 (permalink)
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/70605/microsofts-flight-simulator-is-shockingly-gorgeous-in-these-hd-images/index.html

If you haven't yet seen Microsoft's Flight Simulator, then you are in for a treat because it's one of the best looking games out there at the moment. 

In Microsoft's Flight Simulator, players will be able to take control of a range of different aircrafts and soar through the skies in a highly detailed realistic world. Flight Simulator will also use a huge amount of data from Bing Maps, and through Microsoft's cloud, it will be streamlined directly into the game to give you photo-realistic models of Earth in real-time. For more information about Microsoft's Flight Simulator, check out this link here. (https://www.tweaktown.com/news/69576/new-microsoft-flight-simulator-video-confirms-multiple-dynamic-seasons/index.html).

The pictures from the article could not be copied here. Check out the article to see these outstanding images. 

post edited by rjohnson11 - 2020/02/16 01:06:20

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

8 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Microsoft's Flight Simulator is shockingly gorgeous in these HD images 2020/02/16 02:40:40 (permalink)
    It really looks amazing. I just wonder what the specs will be to run it with everything turned on like that and hope it doesn't run into being considered too hard on systems. I remember the last flight sim being great for gamers who had high end systems and even pushing those but a lot of casual flight sim fans didn't want a high end graphics card to run it.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

mouse53
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 159
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Microsoft's Flight Simulator is shockingly gorgeous in these HD images 2020/02/16 10:52:05 (permalink)
    Still need to know if it will be subscription based.  Doesn't matter how nice it looks if it will be like Microsoft Flight and pay for all the content. Of course that is just my opinion. To some it won't matter how much they have to dump into this.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Microsoft's Flight Simulator is shockingly gorgeous in these HD images 2020/02/16 12:09:59 (permalink)
    It will be nice to see the finished product

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Microsoft's Flight Simulator is shockingly gorgeous in these HD images 2020/02/19 14:27:53 (permalink)
    The leaked alpha tester videos I've seen are a bit more potato. In the official videos they're showing off their best face. In the leaks floating around you're seeing mid-range hardware with lower settings with a different visual experience. There are lower settings available in the sim that make it look a bit more chunky and last generation Google Maps 3D with chunky trees and badly 3d reconstructed buildings.

tl;dr: It's going to be a lot like scrolling around Google Earth with 3D buildings turned on.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2020/02/19 14:29:57
    flyinion
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2275
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Microsoft's Flight Simulator is shockingly gorgeous in these HD images 2020/02/19 16:31:19 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    It really looks amazing. I just wonder what the specs will be to run it with everything turned on like that and hope it doesn't run into being considered too hard on systems. I remember the last flight sim being great for gamers who had high end systems and even pushing those but a lot of casual flight sim fans didn't want a high end graphics card to run it.

MS Flightsim has historically always been unable to run at max settings on current hardware at release.  Usually by the time the next version came out hardware had caught up.  Also, historically it was raw CPU power that was needed because the complex flight calculations were the biggest processing drain.  The only time this pattern fell apart was the previous major release FlightSim X in 2006'ish.  MS gambled on clock speed vs cores and lost.  With multiple hi-res texture/terrain mesh addon's and payware planes from PMDG that internally simulate a 737's systems I can drag a 3700X with 2080 Super down to the upper 20's in super detailed dense cities like Seattle in FSX with that plane and scenery stuff running.  A lot of it is just poor optimization at the beginning and then the studio was shut down before they could put out any more service packs etc.  I should note that on a raw install of the base game yes I can get ridiculous FPS.  

Anyway, hopefully yes they will not follow history this time and it will actually perform on modern systems.  Also I definitely agree about the comment on the subscription thing.  If the base game is not buy once to get the entire world/etc. it's going to fail big time in the main flightsim community just like MS Flight did.  I'm perfectly fine with paying for DLC for stuff like extra airplanes, handcrafted scenery packages, etc from them.  That's no different than buying addons currently for the current sims out there (FSX, Prepar3d, X-Plane).  Requiring something like an XBox subscription to access it will not go well though.

AMD Ryzen 5950X | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK Vector2 | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | WD SN850 2TB | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB & 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | SteelSeries Arctis Pro + GameDAC | Kanto YU2 + Yamaha sub | Schiit Magni 2 Uber & Modi 2 Uber | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro | Custom water loop
    Flonkam
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 265
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Microsoft's Flight Simulator is shockingly gorgeous in these HD images 2020/02/23 12:59:49 (permalink)
    For what it's worth, it amazes me that there are people who believe--and insist--that this is a PC sim/game, in the very teeth of the evidence. Not only does the paradigm of the entire post-2007 AAA industry have to be taken into account--in which for anything truly AAA, design for PC HW and PC market sensibilities became all but extinct--every single thing I have seen released so far has a big "XBox" logo on it, and absolutely nothing referencing the PC.

Further, the concept of a true flight simulator on a console has nothing to do with any reality I'm aware of. Beside the more obvious considerations, as flyinion pointed out, sims are CPU-heavy, and current consoles have CPUs that are 1/5 of the power of an average gaming PC. I would be surprised if the CPUs of the next consoles were even twice as powerful.

I would be more excited than anyone if this were fundamentally designed for PC HW and the PC market, and then ported/downgraded to consoles for whatever "sim-lite" experience can be had, but there is unfortunately nothing about reality that would make me expect such a thing. Especially from Microsoft, who inarguably wishes everyone would quit messing around already and switch to XBox.
    z999z3mystorys
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4480
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re: Microsoft's Flight Simulator is shockingly gorgeous in these HD images 2020/02/24 02:39:56 (permalink)
    they look pretty good, I've never really played a flight simulator however.

On another note, the article mentions "HD images" which to me is starting to sound like a motel advertising "Color TV" as (from my perspective) HD is getting so common it's getting close to not being worth mentioning, and seems odd when it is.
    Flonkam
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 265
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Microsoft's Flight Simulator is shockingly gorgeous in these HD images 2020/02/24 06:37:44 (permalink)
    z999z3mystorys
    On another note, the article mentions "HD images" which to me is starting to sound like a motel advertising "Color TV" as (from my perspective) HD is getting so common it's getting close to not being worth mentioning, and seems odd when it is.

I agree, but at the same time, "HD" has never been a descriptor that has had any relevance to the PC market. "HD" is pretty much a console thing, not only because resolution is set by the manufacturer and developers, but because almost all consoles are connected to a television, which (at least in the U.S.) has only a few standards: SD, HD, 4K, etc.

The GTA series, for example, is divided into the '2D' era, the '3D' era, and the 'HD' era--the last being a designation that would seem strange to anyone who has only played games on a PC.
    post edited by Flonkam - 2020/02/24 06:39:56
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile