EVGA

Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters)

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 24
Author
TheWolf
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3800
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 10:31:29 (permalink)
Viper97
True but I was being sarcastic... :) 

EVGA Affiliate Code ZHKWRJB9D4 My HeatWare 

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5064
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 10:35:09 (permalink)
If you were here for the last 'round of this Bigadv drama or even past ones with other hardware, the same reaction of "boycott" was there too.  I completely understand the frustration of wanting to "get PG's attention" when they do things like this.  But, unless you could organize a "sit in" on a massive scale across several teams, it would have no effect.  That has not been historically something that could be achieved, and it has the same negative effect on the science that we as donors don't like done to us with changes like this one.

PG believes they are doing what is right for advancement of the science.  I believe that they do know best what that is since they are the ones developing it.  But, the way they go about getting there seems to take a negative route upon donors and that is what they need to reconsider.  Their intention with the science is likely spot on.  How they get there has always (in my mind) needed a lot more positive motivation in the tactical execution of same.

TheWolf
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3800
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 10:41:11 (permalink)
When did you start working for PG?
You sound like a good spokesman they'd like to have on there team.
This is the very reason they don't listen to the donors.
Y'all have a good day I'm out of this thread and out of fah, crunching is looking much better the more talk that is done here.

EVGA Affiliate Code ZHKWRJB9D4 My HeatWare 

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5208
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 10:41:52 (permalink)
It's a research project and most likely funding comes from making goals.  That's the core issue they need to make the goals or the funding is cut.

Regardless if they are on the right track it's a time oriented need that FAH is focusing on... how do we achieve our goals?  By moving the bar higher and hoping we all play along.  Eventually that route becomes much like "the sky is falling" or "crying wolf" one to many times and people opt out in search of other ways to donate.

FAH is on the verge of a major PR bungle and the only hope is for them to keep bring in new blood when the old blood gets tired of the game.

There's an interesting post by Rattledagger here:

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25411&start=30

We can already surmise from that bit of information FAH and Stanford have been consistent in shooting themselves in the foot.  It isn't going to get any better I'm afraid.

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 10:56:34 (permalink)
TheWolf
When did you start working for PG?
You sound like a good spokesman they'd like to have on there team.
This is the very reason they don't listen to the donors.
Y'all have a good day I'm out of this thread and out of fah, crunching is looking much better the more talk that is done here.

Wolf, you know me better than that dude!  I'm no shill for PG and have often been criticized by real PG supporters for not supporting the way they do things.  All I'm saying is that I do trust that they have good information and reason to make changes to the very science they have developed.  If they don't, we are all placing our trust into a bucket of waste. 

I'm supportive of the way that you feel about changes like this and I don't like it either.  I'm just (trying) to say that they are probably not wrong for needing to make some changes.  But, that they always seem to be wrong (to me) about the way they implement the change.  Implementing change that upsets and alienates donors is never the better route to take and I feel that they have better ways to do this without creating havoc.  Unfortunately in the past, they have not been very good listeners and the Folding Forum is the worst place (IMO) to voice concerns due to the "defenders of the realm" that operate there.

Don't take anything that I'm saying as being dismissive of your feelings.  I get how you feel (trust me), been there done that and got the t-shirt too. 

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 11:00:04 (permalink)
I don't recall sending you a t-shirt. 

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 11:02:49 (permalink)
Oh you caught me, it wasn't really a t-shirt...it felt like more of a brand after all was said and done! 

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 12:04:47 (permalink)
Bill, I think that "horse has been dead" for years too.  Seems no matter how many ways that we try to wake it up (with no beating techniques), the stick always comes back out.  My feeling is that PG has not learned how to communicate with donors.  They give us occasional updates, even visit here at times, but what they rarely do is communicate changes like this way ahead of time, fully explain the reasoning and then allow for donors to respond before PG makes the change.  It is a recipe for upsetting donors and I wish they could learn some basics here about working with people.  I've been told they don't think that way and to expect it from them is a waste of energy.  That is probably true (or at least it feels like it is true).

We had the "DAB" (donor advisory board) thing, but most people across teams believe that was an exercise in futility.  Not because of lack of interest on the donors part, but because it felt like a one-way street of communication with PG.  Even if there was something for donors to hear from those talks, lots of time the DAB reps were precluded from sharing it with us (for fear of negative impact).  What PG never seemed to learn is that "no communications" is just as bad (or worse) than having to share news that isn't pleasant.

Now where is that horse...I thought I saw him move and may need to be whacked again. 

zildjian75
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1261
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 12:34:26 (permalink)
Like i stated earlier...  All they had to do was "accidentally" run-out of bigadv work units and all of our rigs would have gone to SMP...  A week or 2 would pass and they would have been caught up on SMP's and could have resumed BA's. On top of that, they could restructure the point system to up the ante on SMP folding. They chose instead to trash the use of our hardware, power and time.  In fact, if you really think about it, folks have been complaining about the lack of equal points for equal power/ work ratio for years, and they never do anything about it.  I'm going to assume its bc they are lazy and don't care bc they have a plethora of donors. So they shouldn't miss little old me.

I think it might just be time for something new.  I've been folding for years and about 8 months ago dropped the loot on a 24 core rig.  If FAH doesn't want to use it, that's okay...  I did BOINC years ago...  In fact I used to do Seti back in the early 90's before Boinc even existed.  I'll be glad to help them again. They seem to appreciate the use of my hardware and donation of electricity and time it takes to do this for nothing but pointless points. It's something that FAH doesn't seem to understand.

The real truth is, who ever is in charge of these moves should be held accountable.  And more folks like us should stop complaining about what's wrong and just state the obvious fact:

Leadership over there sucks! I might return once the leadership problem is addressed.  Until then, good luck. Period. Plain & Simple. Only when enough fingers are pointed and folks bail out will the underlying issue be addressed.  LEADERSHIP!!!

If we want to see changes at FAH then everyone of us should point to the top of the chain, b/c that is where the real problem lies.

"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows."   Thomas Jefferson

RIG#1 (Home) - i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz w/ CM V8 GTS - EVGA Z97 Classified - Win10 64bit - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133mhz - 2 x EVGA GTX 980SC in SLI - Corsair AX850 - 250GB Samsung Evo (main) - 500GB Samsung Evo (games) - 1TB WD Black (misc) - Aerocool Strike-X (Cheesy... But effective!)

zildjian75
FTW Member
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 13:00:09 (permalink)
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank EVGA for supporting us supporting FAH with the EVGA bucks program.  I have earned alot of bucks over the years, but that's not the only reason I do this.

Although I would not ask EVGA to support both folding & crunching w/ bucks, I have read somewhere that EVGA will consider supporting crunching w/ bucks if they see more interest in crunching.  NOW, is the time to show EVGA that we as a team no longer wish to support FAH and would like them to incentivize Team EVGA crunching instead.  If enough of us folks make the switch, EVGA might just do it one day.

Again EVGA, thank you for the bucks program. It's been an honor to represent your hardware & Team in the FAH endevour.  However, all good things must come to an end, and sometimes change is good.  I ask that you consider switching your DC/EVGA Bucks program away from FAH as we team members (or more appropriately, I) no longer feel appreciated by Stanford and the FAH Community.

Think how much support FAH loses if EVGA switches the support with it bucks program.  I'd venture to say, all of it.  That will make a dent.  You want to strike!!  That's a strike!!  STRIKE HARD!!!!

See you folks on the crunching side.

post edited by zildjian75 - 2013/12/18 13:01:17

"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows."   Thomas Jefferson

RIG#1 (Home) - i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz w/ CM V8 GTS - EVGA Z97 Classified - Win10 64bit - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133mhz - 2 x EVGA GTX 980SC in SLI - Corsair AX850 - 250GB Samsung Evo (main) - 500GB Samsung Evo (games) - 1TB WD Black (misc) - Aerocool Strike-X (Cheesy... But effective!)

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 13:07:11 (permalink)
Hey... the Crunching team gets swag now and again!  ;)

Zagen30
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 528
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 14:30:22 (permalink)
texinga
They give us occasional updates, even visit here at times, but what they rarely do is communicate changes like this way ahead of time, fully explain the reasoning and then allow for donors to respond before PG makes the change.

I'm curious which changes you feel weren't given sufficient lead time.  If you're referring to this one, how much heads-up would you have wanted them to give?  It's already 4 months for the change that affects more people (it seems to me like cutting off 16c won't affect as many as cutting off 24c, but I may be wrong).  I agree that the reasoning behind this change is somewhat sparse and doesn't seem to match up with reality, as I doubt very many, if any, of the ankle-biters will be running regular SMP work.  And, they technically haven't made the change yet, but I'm guessing you mean that you'd like them to discuss these sorts of things with donors before they make the final decision.

zildjian75
Like i stated earlier...  All they had to do was "accidentally" run-out of bigadv work units and all of our rigs would have gone to SMP...  A week or 2 would pass and they would have been caught up on SMP's and could have resumed BA's.

That seems like an even worse idea than what they're doing.  A couple weeks with no one getting bigadv, and you start having many donors angry at them for seemingly shutting down bigadv with no notice.  If the truth had ever come out, I'm sure many of those people would leave for being lied to, if they hadn't already left due to the perceived sudden and unexplained bigadv termination.

I don't particularly like this move, and from the response it seems like they didn't handle it well (of course, people indifferent about the move are going to be a silent majority).  But it seems like there was some awareness in the community that it was going to happen eventually.  Maybe I'm getting my forums mixed up, but I know I've seen people advising prospective 4P Socket F purchasers that their build would have no upgrade path and that PG could change the requirements at any time.  It had been 2 years since the last bigadv core count change (though that one seemed more imperative given anyone with an i7 could join in), and that had occurred about 2.5 years after the introduction of bigadv.  As asked above, how much of a heads-up do people think they should give on something like this, if 2 or 4 months isn't sufficient?

I recognize that I have a different opinion on things since I am not affected by this.  I'd be pretty annoyed if bigadv ended completely and the Intel 4P I built last April was suddenly less productive PPD-wise than a decently OC'ed 780 Ti or 290X (the couple of regular SMP WUs I've gotten on it have been around 200k PPD) while drawing over three times the power and costing several times more.

I do think that they need to reconsider the points spread.  Regular SMP is just so lousy points-wise compared to either bigadv or core 17 GPU that it really isn't worth it on any hardware.  If the current SMP/GPU points spread is truly accurate, then I think they need to start converting most of their new projects to core 17, as it'll get the work done faster and at a much better power efficiency. If they really need to clear a regular SMP backlog, giving a temporary incentive for regular SMP work would work a lot better than this method.  I'm not sure how big of a boost would convince people, but if they said they really needed help on that front and were offering a 200% bonus?  I would seriously consider switching my rig over.  They've done something similar before, with the 10% bonus on core a4 work to encourage people to upgrade client 6.34 or newer.  I don't know how well that worked, but if it didn't work well, perhaps the bonus simply wasn't high enough.

Core i7 3770K @4.3 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 970 SSC @1379 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit    

Affiliate code: K4BJ4FHUX5

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 14:56:00 (permalink)
Zagen30
texinga
They give us occasional updates, even visit here at times, but what they rarely do is communicate changes like this way ahead of time, fully explain the reasoning and then allow for donors to respond before PG makes the change.

I'm curious which changes you feel weren't given sufficient lead time.  If you're referring to this one, how much heads-up would you have wanted them to give?  It's already 4 months for the change that affects more people (it seems to me like cutting off 16c won't affect as many as cutting off 24c, but I may be wrong).  I agree that the reasoning behind this change is somewhat sparse and doesn't seem to match up with reality, as I doubt very many, if any, of the ankle-biters will be running regular SMP work.  And, they technically haven't made the change yet, but I'm guessing you mean that you'd like them to discuss these sorts of things with donors before they make the final decision.

Yes, that is why I said "before PG makes a change".  It is not just the timeframe of weeks or months that concerns me.  It is that these changes are sprung on the donors without allowing for input to gauge what effects it will have upon the very donors that can/will invest in 4P (or greater) rigs.  I've taken fire from people before for even suggesting such a thing.  But, to me it makes a lot of sense to tap the feelings/interests of the very group of people that are inclined to make the investment in these higher-end Folding machines. 

Rather than make donors mad (as this has just done again), involve them, tell them why something needs to be done, enlist their ideas, and then make that ultimate decision.  If PG allows themselves to believe that Folders will just continue to invest big-bucks in these rigs, that is not reality.  I'm one that will not do it again and could do it.  I won't invest any more money in Server-class hardware for Folding.  My 2P and 4P will be used for Crunching or other DC work, but there will be no more coin spent on Folding.  I didn't arrive at that point because I want to be there either.  PG's poor execution of how to handle these things has brought me to that point.

I also do not expect a single thing that I've said to amount to anything with this issue.  I've learned that they (PG) just don't want to hear from donors in this way.  No matter where you are on this issue, most people can agree that irritating donors is not the way to run this railroad.  I've always been in the camp that believes you get the best (most) from people with positive persuasion when change is needed.

Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 15:03:14 (permalink)
texinga
If you were here for the last 'round of this Bigadv drama or even past ones with other hardware, the same reaction of "boycott" was there too.  I completely understand the frustration of wanting to "get PG's attention" when they do things like this.  But, unless you could organize a "sit in" on a massive scale across several teams, it would have no effect.  That has not been historically something that could be achieved, and it has the same negative effect on the science that we as donors don't like done to us with changes like this one.

PG believes they are doing what is right for advancement of the science.  I believe that they do know best what that is since they are the ones developing it.  But, the way they go about getting there seems to take a negative route upon donors and that is what they need to reconsider.  Their intention with the science is likely spot on.  How they get there has always (in my mind) needed a lot more positive motivation in the tactical execution of same.

my thinking is that with the new CPU coming next year - ie 15core v2 Xeons and beyond- 120 thread machines and with Haswell-E coming next year(even more cores) which will offer more that stanford has changed the Bigadv line for a reason

imagine a 200 core 4P.(24 core cpu -48 thread - or 192 threaded machine)..this could be a reality in a few years

As I remarked GPU Bigadv is suppose to come into play - if that happened many GPU users would jump on that bandwagon with titans and 780's and Maxwell next year
heck with regular core 15's or core17 WU's - that will be left for smaller older cards
expect possible tight deadines on Bigadv - hence increasing CPU count

for many with rigs that can't do bigadv may switch out sr-2's or sr-x's out to do GPU folding and a little smp on the side or crunch SMP
the main thing is that if fewer people do SMP - it will be moved to GPU's and it will delay new GPU WU's or even delay GPU Bigadv WU's

stanford is working to have the WU's work on either CPU or GPU (And GPU out performs CPU) 

All I see is either people will switch to high end GPU's (rather than CPU route for 4P) for the big points - a few will stay and a few may even go bigger
people with smaller or older cards will be force to SMP work or low point GPU WU's
CPU work is inefficient compared to GPU's so the task is to switch work to GPU where they can (SMP will be first to be done)
which will make folding on smaller CPU's pointless - look at P4 or unicore as a baseline (worthless) but still need to be done

many cannot change rapidly like this - many will leave - some will jump on the new Bandwangon

What Im PO'd about is lack of transparency - PR (press release)
They need to talk openly about why(details) and what further planes are(details) - timelines and stick to them - even bringing in extra people to meet deadlines and goals

just saying "they be doing away with lower counts" with no reason and no direction on whats coming down the line for the next year is BAD
Information is everything to us -placating fears while salivating us with future WU's and changes would be GOOD

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 15:03:23 (permalink)
Zagen30
I recognize that I have a different opinion on things since I am not affected by this.  I'd be pretty annoyed if bigadv ended completely and the Intel 4P I built last April was suddenly less productive PPD-wise than a decently OC'ed 780 Ti or 290X (the couple of regular SMP WUs I've gotten on it have been around 200k PPD) while drawing over three times the power and costing several times more.

I think that therein lies the difference of perception about this issue.  Go and spend significant dollars on a 4P that you just put into service a couple months (or weeks ago) and then come back and say 2-4 months notice, with no explanation or donor involvement sounds reasonable.  I think your perspective might be a wee bit different.

Edit:  That didn't exactly come out the way that I intended it to.  What I'm trying to say is that many of us encouraged (cheered-on) fellow Folders to buy/build  these 4P "ankle-bitin" servers to do Bigadv.  Some of them haven't even seen 6-months use.  For them, I feel bad even though we also always encourage people to build the highest-end, most capable server they can afford.  Well for some of them, a 4P ankle-biter was all they could do.  To tell them, with out any involvement or consideration, that SMP is what you should do and that you have a just few more months to do Bigadv has negative impact. 

All I'm suggesting is to "yes" give more notice that 2-4 months, but more importantly tell Folders what the heck is going on.  Explain the problems/challenges on their Blog site, enlist ideas, ask people to help.  Wouldn't it be better to give people a year notice of a big change that will render equipment unusable, coupled with a request for Folders to actively engage more SMP work?  There are more ways than just the hammer-way of dealing with change.  Soften the blow so people have the opportunity to adapt and feel that they are part of that change.
post edited by texinga - 2013/12/18 16:02:07

cokeman54
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 962
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 16:16:53 (permalink)
bill1024
These 24 core 48 thread intel chips will be 2000$ each or more I am willing to bet.
Times 4 and I will bet the MB will be near 1000$ and will need reg eec memory...................
200 core 4P will cost tens of thousands to build. Not me, I will not even buy a 500$ GTX 780 now even if it gets 500k PPD nope.
PGs main goal was to get 1,000,000 people folding. They are at what 250k and going down. I am sure this will not help.
They created v7 to make it easier for noobs to fold, then tear into Tear over v6.34 and the H folding image.
Did you all happen to see that thread in the bigadv section FF forum?
Someone had a Q about H install and their answer was they strongly suggested to install v7.
Then they argued over it, then argued over v4 and v5.. Really?  How dare you tell us we are wrong..
They can't put the SMP into gpu, if they could of they would of by now.

All they had to do is ask for help. Just ask, The folding community would step up and
Get er done!!!!

That mess and the Musky install gave me a whole new respect for those at H and what they have done and continue to do for folding. Grampa got so upset he had enough and Tear has the patience to put up with nonsense. It is that type of attitude that makes me appreciate this forum and its members more. In a nutshell there is a lack of respect to donors and they make that very clear. I enjoy being educated, and like to learn, but do not like being talked down to, especially by those that are just wrong. For those that missed it https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&p=253705#p253705  
It is worth the reading.

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 16:29:50 (permalink)
Hmmm... I'm not sure which is more fun... Watching the new Superman flick or these threads.  Lots of drama and again Pande Group just ignores the donors.

Thanks tear... you rock!

zildjian75
FTW Member
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 16:56:55 (permalink)
You folks are all correct.  All of your reasons are valid and true. But I feel that some are missing the big picture.  Maybe I look at this from a different perspective.

I have been folding 24/7 in some way shape or form since 2009.  I chugged away for years on gpu's that got 5-15000 pts a day.  Blowing through probably 800-1000w of power continuously over the years. And that's just machine power...  My AC in my condo probably blew threw the equivalent in power.  I have seen this same lack of consideration of donors before.  They have done this same thing in the past in the same inconsiderate & ungrateful way.  Am I missing something?  Don't they need donors like us or not.  Do they understand what a donor is.

The donor community was vary unhappy the last time.  It was the same complaints.  Not enough notice? Lack of communication not only with the research itself but of future hardware requirements.  Then one day....  BOOM!!!  It was pretty ugly.  The same as it is today. Because they did it the exact same way!!! Many adjusted. I wasn't really opinionated about it at the time b/c I wasn't a bigadv folder at the time, but I know the donor community wasn't happy about it.  Now I am a BA folder.  And I'm mad.

Since we are donors, and not employees, and they rely (supposedly) on folks like us for their research/job, you would think we would be more involved and informed. As well, you would "think" they would walk on egg shells not to piss donors off.  But they don't.  They do the opposite.  Then they repeat the opposite.  Again... and Again.  Someone doing something to help you for free, I consider to be a favor. But that's not how they see it.  It's like they think they are doing us a favor by "letting" us fold their wu's.

I just got into the bigadv realm about 8 months ago. Now in a few months, I'll be back out.  Am I supposed to re-tool?  A lot of folks did that last time, and now 2 years later they will have to do it again.  BigAdv is my standard now.  Any less, and my 4p rig will be better off with a different project. Re-tooling at this point will cost $1000's of dollars to build a rig for BA's. And what should I build? A 32 core or 48 core system. Well if I look at the recent past I already know that that's not going to be good enough in a year or two and we will go through this again in the exact same way.  No thanks.

All this leads to 2 conclusions:
#1 They don't give a dang about the donors. If they did, they would keep us continuously in the loop of current/future problems/requirements.  They do not.  They would figure out a way to use the donors effectively when they run into dumb issues like... A backlog of SMP units...  Give me a break.  That could have been solved easily by other means like putting the word out or offering more points to said wu's.  Heck just ask. The solution is not to shut folks out who have gone the extra mile to build rigs for the specific purpose of helping them with their research.

#2 I said it in an earlier post.  Leadership.  Whoever is in charge of the decisions and roll-outs of the crap news needs to be un-in-charge...  Demoted, Fired... whatever.  He clearly doesn't have a grasp on the fact that he relies on donors for the research.  They have now done this stupidity the same way a couple of times.  They didn't learn their lesson, or they don't care.  So why should we care?

That's why I said earlier... point the finger at the top!  The "leader" is responsible for the mistakes and to make them over and over just cries out, "You are the wrong person for that position". I will not invest in your company (research) again.  That is how this works. I don't have to put up with it and either does anyone else.  Whenever this conversation is brought up on forum, everyone's response should be the same.  Example.

Person #1  Hey man... Did you hear latest news about the new FAH BigAdv server requirements?
Person #2  Yup, I sure did.  Whoever is running the show over there is clueless.  It's like he doesn't even know those folks are donating their time, money, power & resources to fund and support his project.  But what do you expect? He's done it before in the past.  What a moron! He should be canned.

That's it! The way I see it, that's all that needs to be said because its the bottom line...  Period.  I don't care about their backlog, b/c I know nothing of the backlog...b/c they don't include us in the research, they just "use" us for the research. And then screw us when they need to update requirements to fix their backlog!  We don't know of future requirements, b/c they don't say where those requirements are headed.

If this were my show, whoever is in-charge....  YOU'RE FIRED!
post edited by zildjian75 - 2013/12/18 17:10:56

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 17:06:08 (permalink)
The most instructive post of that entire thread about Bigadv, V6 vs V7, etc was this one by Tear:

Re: Not receiving WU on 4P

by tear » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:20 am

7im wrote:Not helping to improve V7 and hiding your heads in the sand with v6 is short sighted. It will be going end of life sooner than later like all versions before it have. Caveat Folder.
"I'm not hiding my head, I just elect to deal with PG directly instead of FF which is simply ineffective bridge between the project and donor community."

Through that entire 4-pages of discussion, not one actual representative of PG responded that I noted.  Talking to people who try to be "PG mouthpieces" is a waste of time and results in frustration.  This is at the crux of the issue with PG vs Donor communications.  The FF is just not a place where you can openly talk about things that actually matter (i.e. the HardOCP Folding utility).  Some of the people there that resist good ideas don't even Fold Bigadv, but yet seem to want to challenge things they don't understand or embrace.  I read through that whole 4-pages and came away with the same impression that I've had all along.  PG is too silent for their own good with donors and unfortunately allows other people (who are not qualified) to speak for them.  I have zero interest in hearing people comment and quote policy that don't actually speak for PG (or are from PG).  Maybe it wouldn't even make any difference if I did hear from PG...hmmm.

Wake up Viper...it's Superman vs Folding drama!! 

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 17:11:04 (permalink)
Then if nothing is resolved I suggest we team up with [H] and instead of March Madness how about a March Sit-out?  We contact every team we can and explain what we are doing and we just shut down for a month. 

[H] is trying to figure out if FAH is going to respond (doubtful given past answers) and perhaps the two biggest teams can send a message and we can get the say 10 biggest folding teams to send that message maybe they might take notice.

We'd need a representative to put this out there. 

yodap
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4641
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 17:39:00 (permalink)
Probably 95% of the teams don't have bigav folders and most of those have no idea that this is going on. Take MPC for instance. #6 team. I believe, unfortunately they are a slowly dying team but there is zero mention about this topic in their forum. Overclockers .com- # 4 team. Thread started, 2 reply's.  This could be a #1 and 2 issue and that's it.
I don't know what my point is but [H] and EVGA would have a tough time speaking for or rallying the entire folding community.

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 17:43:41 (permalink)
Viper, unfortunately it may have to get a lot worse than this before you could amass enough Folders to make a collective statement like that to PG.  Even [H] is not ready to embrace such an idea and I expect they will be cautious about it rather than do anything overt. 

This will likely go the way the last one did two years ago.  People will air their grievances (both to PG and within Folding Forums) and then nothing will change (other than losing some Folders to other DC projects).  HardOCP will still be Folding, EVGA will too and this whole thing will dissipate (eventually). 

It seems to come down to a "like it or lump it" scenario with Folding changes like this one every time.  I have little to no emotion about this 2nd iteration at all, but do clearly know that I won't invest more in Folding going forward.  PG got me twice with this stuff (2yrs ago and now this one) and I won't allow the same to happen a 3rd time.

zildjian75
FTW Member
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 17:46:39 (permalink)
texinga
The most instructive post of that entire thread about Bigadv, V6 vs V7, etc was this one by Tear:

Re: Not receiving WU on 4P

by tear » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:20 am

7im wrote:Not helping to improve V7 and hiding your heads in the sand with v6 is short sighted. It will be going end of life sooner than later like all versions before it have. Caveat Folder.
"I'm not hiding my head, I just elect to deal with PG directly instead of FF which is simply ineffective bridge between the project and donor community."

Through that entire 4-pages of discussion, not one actual representative of PG responded that I noted.  Talking to people who try to be "PG mouthpieces" is a waste of time and results in frustration.  This is at the crux of the issue with PG vs Donor communications.  The FF is just not a place where you can openly talk about things that actually matter (i.e. the HardOCP Folding utility).  Some of the people there that resist good ideas don't even Fold Bigadv, but yet seem to want to challenge things they don't understand or embrace.  I read through that whole 4-pages and came away with the same impression that I've had all along.  PG is too silent for their own good with donors and unfortunately allows other people (who are not qualified) to speak for them.  I have zero interest in hearing people comment and quote policy that don't actually speak for PG (or are from PG).  Maybe it wouldn't even make any difference if I did hear from PG...hmmm.

Wake up Viper...it's Superman vs Folding drama!! 

It's just an insult.  Plain & simple.  What a disgrace.

ArtyD42
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 212
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 17:48:28 (permalink)
Viper97
We'd need a representative to put this out there. 

Pretty sure the biggest representative that exists is the active folding count.

Today we are 240,759 computers strong and growing fast. Share. Tweet. Email your friends and let them know.

What happens when the two biggest computer banks just drop off the grid for this number?
texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 17:58:53 (permalink)
Good for you Bill, we can use the help over on the Crunching side of things!  No drama over there too, just quiet calm DC work which has been the hallmark of Crunching.  I have my 4P running Boinc right now under the HardOCP Ubuntu Desktop utility.  I expect that you will have that other 24c up and Crunching soon! 

zildjian75
FTW Member
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 17:59:18 (permalink)
When I read those threads......  The lack of respect is waaaay worse than I thought.  Honestly, why is it any of us work on this project. 

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 18:01:10 (permalink)
I just left this response:

"bruce"
"Rattledagger"As for being "disappointed", everyone knows, well nearly everyone knows you can't directly compare crediting across projects, but some users (and teams) still jumps to whatever is the current highest-paying project. So getting 500k/day in project X and 10k/day in project Y on it's own doesn't tell anything.

So they're saying that if FAH just changed 1 points to 10 points (and 10K to 100K) for all projects and for all points earned in the past, people would leave other DC projects and flock to FAH?
I don't think so.

No what we are saying is the disparity in points between SMP, GPU and bigadv needs to be addressed.
What we are saying is if it isn't addressed most likely you will lose the heavy hitters.

kerryd
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 997
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 19:14:52 (permalink)
Drazhar
Soooo what I'm reading here is that "it's all about the points for us."

"OH NOES OUR POINTS ARE BEING TAKEN AWAY I QUIT."

Wow.

Its not about the points even though there nice. It is about spending real money for something that you really do not need to fold with.I got 2 4p's both 16 core costs around $60 to $70 a month to run each.Yet my i7 costs me $20 or less a month to power and will do the same smp in less time then the 4p.On top of that I got a use the i7 but with out bigadv the 4p's are dead.What PG just told me is take your money and flush it down the toilet.Lets see what could I have done with the $800 or so the 4p's cost me ONE HELL OF A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post edited by kerryd - 2013/12/18 19:16:02

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 19:39:05 (permalink)
I think we all should stay the course and keep Folding for Team EVGA AND Crunch for EVGA.
This HOT Topic may receive a COLD Cool Down from EVGA and we may push out EVGA Support and EVGA Bucks
I am not say it is right or wrong.
My goal is still to be part of a cure for a disease or sickness in MY lifetime, not my own life but our children's life or their children.

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2013/12/18 19:50:45

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: Major bigadv change (death of the ankle biters) 2013/12/18 20:36:16 (permalink)
the solution is a fix to the point system - for once sit down and fix it all
make SMP worthwhile to fold - PPD/Watt  
if the drop isn't to much people won't complain too much 
the idea is to make people think "so Im relegated to SMP - Im making slightly less - but hey it's not bad I can live with it"

in fact you may get people back into using older CPU's again and bring hardware back

it might mean bringing GPU PPD up and cause people to consider going back to GPU farms 
but hey isn't GPU more efficient - faster on all Work than a CPU
you may see a few people drop 4P's because a GPU does more - but I suspect you may see people have both systems
we had a few years where GPU were dropped because CPU had more PPD/WATT
if you go equal work= equal pay then GPU's farms would be the thing - because why use CPU when GPU does it faster
that would leave 4p for specialized work that can't be done on normal SMP or GPU
or at least until they get that figured out to do bigger stuff on GPU

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 24
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile