EVGA

AnsweredM.2 NVMe drive issue

Author
CGooden
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/03/27 10:18:20 (permalink)
Just got my Z390 FTW board installed with a Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT1000P1SSD8 mounted on the motherboard in the M.2 Socket 3 Key-M (80MM) position.  I can see the drive in the Bios if I go to Advanced -> NVM Information Page.  I do not see it in the Advanced -> SATA Configuration page and I can not select it on the Boot page for booting my system.  I do have all of my M.2 Key Slots enabled in the BIOS on the On Board Device Configuration Page.

I also have a Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CT2000MX500SSD1 connected to SATA 2. I can see this drive in the BIOS on the Advance -> SATA Configuration page, showing as CT2000MX500SSD (2000,3GB).  I am able to boot of this drive and was able to install windows on this drive.  Windows says that I only have 1.81 TB of usable space left on the drive

If I go to the Windows Storage pool, I can see both drives and can format the 1TB drive in the M.2 socket but Windows will not show me a drive letter for this drive and it will not allow me to join the drives and increase  and storage pool size.  I am not using RAID at this point

Should I not be able to install Windows on the 1TB drive in the M.2 Socket? or be able to join the drives in one storage pool?  It appears there is no way to use the M.2 drive so do I have a bad drive or a bad motherboard, or a bad operator?

My other EVGA X299 FTW MB allowed me to boot off the M.2 drive and install windows on it without any issue.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck Gooden

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: M.2 NVMe drive issue 2020/03/27 10:23:51 (permalink)
post released from filter ... sorry for the delay

Welcome to the EVGA Forums

Unless it is a RAID  setup ... only install 1 Drive - then install Windows

You followed all the steps Page 46-49 in the manual ?

SSD / HDD is not detected Page 137 - 138

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8048
  • Ribbons : 761
Re: M.2 NVMe drive issue 2020/03/27 10:28:37 (permalink)
Go to the "Hard Drive BBS Priorities" in the Boot section of the BIOS and it should be shown there..Select it and see if it gets added to the list of Boot Devices to choose from, as it probably will.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

sparetimepc
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2413
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: M.2 NVMe drive issue 2020/03/28 03:33:47 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby CGooden 2020/03/29 12:49:20
Try and move your M.2 drive to the bottom 110  slot so its not even affiliated with your sata ports and sata controller . According to the manual here is your M.2 slot configuration. Also see if you can open control panel, administrative tools, computer management, disk management, then right click your drive and see if you can assign a letter to the drive manually. 

M.2 Slot Breakdown

M.2 Lane Distribution
 M.2 Key-M (80mm, Top) – x4
o M.2 Enable/Disable is set within the BIOS
o This M.2 Key-M slot shares lanes with SATA ports 4/5. Installing an
M.2 device will disable SATA ports 4/5.

 M.2 Key-M (110mm, Bottom) – x4

 M.2 Key-E (32mm) – x1

10. M.2 Socket 3 Key-M 80mm
M.2 is an SSD standard, which uses up to four PCIe lanes and utilizes Gen3
speeds. Most popularly paired with NVMe SSDs, this standard offers
substantially faster transfer speeds and seek time than SATA interface
standards. All M.2 devices are designed to connect via a card-bus style
connector, secured by bolting into place, and powered by the connector – rather
than a dedicated data cable and power cable.
This socket will support Key-M devices of 80mm, 60mm, and 42mm length.
Conflict: The top Key-M slot shares lanes with SATA ports 4/5. As a result,
these devices are mutually exclusive and must be enabled/disabled in the BIOS.
post edited by sparetimepc - 2020/03/28 03:53:06

CGooden
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: M.2 NVMe drive issue 2020/03/29 12:49:11 (permalink)
Had time to get back to this issue this morning.  I verified everything above including the installation pages in the manual.  I moved the NVMe mm slot.  I disconnected the other SATA SSD Drive and I could not get windows to install.  Interestingly the drive did show in the bios on the NVMe Configuration page, but there was no option at the bottom of the Boot page to select the NVMe drive.

I finally went to the Crucial website and downloaded the "Crucial Executive" software.  The software was able to see both of the SSD Drives and I could perform a self test on the NVMe drive (both basic and extended) without any issues.  I also could look at all of the S.M.A.R.T. disk parameters.  The software indicated the most current version of the firmware was already installed, but I went ahead and reinstalled it using the utility.

After all this I still could not get the NMVe drive to function even though the Crucial software performed a self-test successfully.  The Bios did see the drive, so the motherboard must be good.  The Crucial Software could see the drive and perform a self test on it, so the MNVMe SSD drive must be good.  Windows did not assign a drive letter, but the drive did show up in the device manager under drives, but yet Windows would not recognize the drive when installing Windows software. So windows partly worked and partly failed

My last step was to use the "Crucial Executive" to "Santize" the drive.  After doing this and disconnecting the SATA SSD drive I was able to boot and am currently installing Windows on the NVMe drive.  My next step will be to join the two drives so they look like 1.  Hopefully I'll be able to do this successfully. Then all will be good.

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: M.2 NVMe drive issue 2020/03/29 13:30:26 (permalink)
congrats, getting M.2 working

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

9rince
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: M.2 NVMe drive issue 2020/04/16 15:49:14 (permalink)
I didnt read all of it but did you install Windows on the NVMe?  They kept saying that was to be used for games but I was thinking about trying this with Z390 (I suck at messing with the bios in this) and installing Windows on it instead.  Let us know if it works cus I was going to buy this too when I found out about the new SSD on the mobos.

Im still new to these NVMe slots but we can combine them with SATA III SSD drives too in RAID 0?  If yes I would have bought this over the x299.  NVMe is faster than SATA III 6GBs right?  Is this where we can get rid of HDD and SSD through SATA?  Everyone needs to just buy the 1 TB NVMe drives for the mobo lol.  EVGA needs to make these too cus I want all stock on my computer.

I was watching some video online and someone was trying to do a benchmark test and for some reason he made EVGA look like crap doing the test.  I still went with EVGA no matter what.
post edited by 9rince - 2020/04/16 15:54:54

The greatest horror of war is the fateful transformation of our children into heroes. - Scifi Channel
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile