EVGA

Lost second hard drive... SSD or roll the dice again with a platter drive?

Author
agent8
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8248
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 20
2017/04/10 23:00:52 (permalink)
So I was playing Fo4 and everything was going well and then I heard a "duh-dunk" the sound of a usb or device being plugged/unplugged. My game (which is all on my C drive thankfully) quickly went to desk top and then resumed. I didn't think much of it but when I was done playing, I noticed that my second drive was missing in device manager as well as computer management. The next thing I know, I am getting a BSOD. After a few frozen starts, I got her up running again but the drive is not showing in bios. I figured I had lost it since it is an old WD blue from 2008. Kinda sucks there were no warnings, no death clicks, just dead in an instant. I swapped sata data and power cables just in case and sata ports but it's not even spinning. I have one of those USB to sata plugs and I tried it on my laptop. It's dead. I tried the refrigerator trick even and it's gone forever. Everything on that drive was games, video editing software and basically storage.
  So my question is, at this point in time, is a good SSD reliable for secondary storage?  This system is just for gaming, video editing and browsing. I rarley keep more than a few games on my drive at a time. Do the "cells" last longer if they are not all the way "full" (IE; only using a small amount at a time with a larger drive?) I keep reading things like flash storage is in high demand because of whatever new phone or product right now so it's a bad time to buy. Do prices fluctuate that much? I am thinking of saving up for a Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb. My current OS ssd is a Samsung 256 Gig and it's been great. Any thoughts?

8 Replies Related Threads

gipothegip
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 184
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Lost second hard drive... SSD or roll the dice again with a platter drive? 2017/04/11 07:28:32 (permalink)
    I have no idea what SSDs are recently, I've just heard a lot of news about shortages in SSD components and higher demand from the cell phone industry (though that's not the most recent news). So I don't know if they're a reasonable price right now.

I did just look however, and it would appear Samsung's aren't too much more expensive, the 250 GB 850 Evo is only about $12 USD more on Newegg (when not on sale that is) than when I ordered it a year ago. They're going for like $93 USD right now, with regular price being $100 USD (I got mine for $88).

So it doesn't appear SSDs have spiked too much, though they appear about 10~15% more expensive than when I was last in the market for one. I guess that's a matter of opinion, and proportions, whether that's substantial. 12 bucks difference for the 250GB drive, maybe like 20 to 25 for the 500 GB which is $180 for the next two days, Newegg doesn't state what full price is but I'd guess between $190 and $200. They have some petty sales sometimes, but slash the prices others, so it's hard to say for the 500 GB model.

I'm not sure about your question in regards to cell lifetime, but I've heard that newer SSDs last a lot longer than when they were first on the market (if that's what you're worried about). I know the less full an SSD is, the easier it is for it to manage the memory (thus faster read and write), and in theory if a cell isn't being used a lot it isn't likely going to die as quickly as one that gets used a lot.

WackyWRZ
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 603
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Lost second hard drive... SSD or roll the dice again with a platter drive? 2017/04/11 08:57:17 (permalink)
    I have seen an increase in SSD pricing over the last year or so.  What I have seen especially spike are the "entry" level SSD drive prices.  I was buying 120GB drives that were once around $35 and now they up to $50-$60 unless they are on sale.  I paid $170 for a 512GB 850PRO a little over a year ago - now that same drive is $250.  As far as "wear" on a SSD drive the writes are what causes wear not reads.  Most drives employ some sort of "wear leveling" meaning when you write new data the drive will attempt to place the data in memory that has not been written to before or has less cycles on the flash.  Having a drive more full will decrease write speed due to the drive trying to move static data around from the wear leveling algorithm.

SLC/MLC flash based drives will have a longer write endurance than TLC based ones and come with a longer warranty but cost more.  That's one of the main differences between the 850EVO and PRO models.  Even with that said TLC drives still will last a long time.  If you wrote a constant 10GB of new data to a 256GB TLC drive every day it would still take 23.4 years to wear it out (theoretically).  http://www.anandtech.com/show/6459/samsung-ssd-840-testing-the-endurance-of-tlc-nand

IMO lack of reliability for SSD isn't so much the reason not to use it for secondary storage - it's more the cost per GB.  For data that you don't need high speed access to a platter drive still has the cost advantage.  If I were going to replace that drive with another platter I would look into something like a Hitachi Ultrastar (or even Deskstar) drive.  I've got 4x Ultrastar 7K3000 (2TB) drives running in my server 24/7 for the last 5 years and they've never missed a beat.  "Enterprise" grade drives generally have a tenancy to last longer than a standard model - the Hitachi drives are rated for 2.0 million hours MTBF which is quite a long time.  If you were to get one of these I wouldn't call it "rolling the dice" per-say.  SSDs can fail too!

If you're going to go SSD - the key is to watch for a good sale and jump on it.  For instance - this 500GB drive for $119 is a really good deal compared to what I have seen lately: https://www.newegg.com/Pr...mp;Tpk=N82E16820329008 and is from a well-known NAND manufacturer.  Samsung used to be the best drives hands-down and they've priced themselves higher because of the reputation.  They've faced stiff competition lately in both speed and reliability to the point I don't feel they automatically are worth their price premium anymore.  Especially after the 840EVO fiasco.
    post edited by WackyWRZ - 2017/04/11 09:01:37

CASE: Anidees AI Crystal XL | MOBO: ASUS X470 Crosshair VII | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 2x8GB B-Die | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME 1TB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 | GPU: AMD RX5700 XT | MON: AOC CU34G2X 1440p/144hz 34" Ultrawide + Dell S2716DG 1440p/144Hz | Cooling: Full custom loop, Heatkiller D5 150, Aquacomputer D5 Next + Quadro, EK Supremacy Evo, EK Coolstream PE 480, Bykski 5700XT | HEAT: 20-0-0 - http://www.heatware.com/u/104452

howdyho1
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 236
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Lost second hard drive... SSD or roll the dice again with a platter drive? 2017/04/11 12:12:31 (permalink)
    WackyWRZ hit the right points very well on write endurance and cost per GB.

if this helps, here's my experience.  I went SSD, because my system at the time needed all the help it could get to hit nice framerates on Fallout 3.

I have 5 MLC SSDs that have served in a Raid 10 + hot spare for my OS + program drive.  I bought the first pair 6 years ago and the last three about 4 years ago.  The total host writes range from 4000 GB to about 20k GB.  During that time, only 1 has failed and it was in the last month of the 3-year warranty.

For my next build, I think I'm going to go with Samsung Pro 960s and backup to rotating storage nightly.  I'm really sold on SSD reliability.

I have also had good results with 3 WD Black (rotating) drives in my house.  I selected them based on reviews and their 5-year warranty.  If I needed to buy another rotating drive today, that would be my choice.

i9-7900X | Asus ROG STRIX X299E | Custom loop | EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | EVGA 3090 K|NGP|N with Optimus block | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz DDR4 | 2x Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVME | 2x 4TB WD Black | DG-87 case | 3x LG 27" 4k |  HyperX Alloy Elite 2 kbd | HyperX Pulsefire Haste mse | HyperX Pulsefire RGB mat

Heatware: https://www.heatware.com/u/96922/to

KenMcC
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3329
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re: Lost second hard drive... SSD or roll the dice again with a platter drive? 2017/04/11 15:09:48 (permalink)
    Just looked at newegg and they have SATA III about 500 GB for under  $200 and even a 850 evo for $179 and a crucial 525 GB for $150.  When you go larger the money seems to go up fast. 

KenMcC
    Z170 Classy K; i7-6700 CPU,
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14
    Seasonic SSR-360GP 360W;
    Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256 GB 
    Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SATA
    Samsung 850 Evo 256 GB SATA
    Samsung SSD 840 Series 250 GB SATA

Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SATA
    Windows 10 x64 Prof.  
    MitchWh
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re: Lost second hard drive... SSD or roll the dice again with a platter drive? 2017/04/12 08:32:47 (permalink)
    New SSDs have such a big lifespan, you probably never going to max this out...or your hardware will be old in the meantime. The Samsung 850 EVO had 75TB TBW, the 960 EVO with TLC has 400TB TBW and the 960 Pro has freaking 1200TB TBW.
    I also have an old HDD from my notebook, which is working fine since over 15.000h. This is about 600 days 24/7. 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Lost second hard drive... SSD or roll the dice again with a platter drive? 2017/04/12 08:53:02 (permalink)
    +1 WD Black for storage

Games can play better from SSD, perhaps get a bigger "C" drive

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Lost second hard drive... SSD or roll the dice again with a platter drive? 2017/04/16 23:20:53 (permalink)

I still have a 500GB WD Velociraptor I use for backup. Been running since 2008 without an issue... but next to an SSD these mech drives are slow (even the Velociraptor, lol). If you're using it for gaming and software, I'd go SSD. For backups and less regular use, I'd still go mech drive - WD Caviar Black or the like, ideally.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

JJ77ply1
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: Lost second hard drive... SSD or roll the dice again with a platter drive? 2017/04/17 11:24:34 (permalink)
    I've had good luck with just WD Black hard drives as secondary storage for gaming. Fallout 4 though has some micro stutter that may drive you to desire it on an SSD. There's a lot of controversy over how this game runs with all kinds of hardware factors(I won't get into that), but I would not say that SSDs are at the justifiable price point just yet for a mass gaming storage drive.

To me, I would just get a large capacity WD Black and wait until mainstream SATA III SSDs are at least as low as $200/1TB.

AMD Ryzen 1800X
    MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM
    Asus STRIX 960 4GB SLI 2-Way SLI
    32GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200Mhz
    Samsung 950 EVO 256GB(OS)/WD Black 4TB
    Corsair AX860i
    Cooler Master Storm Stryker

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile