EVGA

Laptop Advice

Author
eagle74
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/09/13 16:56:54 (permalink)
My wife is still using an 8 yr old Dell Latitude running Win 7 Pro & a Haswell i5.  It has been a tank & never failed to boot.  She claims that it still meets her needs & she is probably right.  She uses it for email, the web, online vids, & storing digital photos.  Most of the time she does all of these on her phone except for the photos.  So, she only uses the laptop a few times a month. 

One day the old system will finally give it up, so I started looking for a suitable replacement & am very disappointed in today's offerings.  None of the big 3 (Dell, HP, Lenovo) has good system cooling, but at the same time, all of them have locked you out of undervolting the CPU among other things.  Sometimes they nerf the processor out of the box to control thermals.  And they don't view it as a problem.  The user forums are littered with people asking for help with thermals, but all they get is the "canned" responses, update your BIOS & drivers, etc.  Its seems to be OK as long as it doesn't catch fire.  I have also looked at getting a barebones like Clevo, but don't know if it would be any better.

The ideal system for her would be a 6 core CPU with a decent IGPU like the R5 5600H, a decent 1080p screen 15.6" or larger, 1 TB SSD.  She could probably get by with 8 GB RAM, but I would likely get 16 GB.  Don't need anything fancy.  But, I do expect to get what I pay for & run the system at least stock, advertised performance without thermal throttling.  If you guys have any wisdom on what systems I should consider, let's hear it.

6 Replies Related Threads

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: Laptop Advice 2021/09/13 17:28:13 (permalink)
    We, wife and I, donated our last laptops a couple of years ago as we have no use for them anymore. 

I still follow the market and here is an interesting new company that might be a fit for you depending on your budget:  https://frame.work/ and one of several articles about them:  https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/25/22299938/framework-laptop-features-upgrade-release-date-price.

Most laptops these days are disposable items and you can't really upgrade much of anything in them anymore.

Sorry I couldn't help much.

BiOD0L3
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re: Laptop Advice 2021/09/13 18:49:22 (permalink)
    Best bet is just go onto BestBuy or Amazon, put in those specs that you want at a minimum, sort by prime only (for amazon) and sort by top rated. Check Fakespot to make sure reviews are legit and finally use CamelCamelCamel to see how good of a price ur getting for that laptop.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Laptop Advice 2021/09/14 09:20:48 (permalink)
    You never mentioned the Need for portability - add a cooler to place the laptop on top of, to your shopping list

You should be able to drop a SSD in your old Dell & load W10 ...

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

eagle74
    Re: Laptop Advice 2021/09/14 16:45:31 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for the help.  The laptop almost never leaves the house, so portability is not that important.  Most times she uses it while in her recliner.  Have not run across anything yet to get excited about.  Maybe we wait until it breaks b4 we decide.  Maybe a tablet would suit her better.
    eagle74
    Re: Laptop Advice 2022/12/05 07:06:07 (permalink)
    Updating this thread rather than starting a new one.  One of my kids ordered a Dell Inspiron & is supposed to get it later this week.  I went online & looked at the specs.  It has the R7 5825U & 16 GB RAM 3200.  It seems that Dell has configured the CPU for 15 W instead of the 25 W.  And I doubt if the RAM will actually run at 3200.  Is there a way around this to get the system to run at its capability instead of the dumbed down config?
    eagle74
    Re: Laptop Advice 2022/12/09 11:19:55 (permalink)
    Running CPU-Z stress test the CPU pegs out at PPT of 30 watts & levels out at 87 C.  So, the system does not have good enough cooling to up the config from TDP of 15 watts.  No matter as you cannot change it anyway.

My next question is about the Vega 8 IGPU.  It is showing a VRAM of 512 mb (HW reserved RAM) & there is no setting in BIOS to change it.  Can the IGPU borrow more RAM from the system when running a game (up to the 2 GB limit)?  Or is it stuck at the 512 MB max?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile