LE post code error "68"?!?!

Author
SimC33
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2480
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 9
2009/11/19 03:23:50 (permalink)
Ok so ive posted about other codes...I personally think my mobo is f'd up somehow because everytime I try to boot I get a different error code, but after reseating everything and doing the whole ram 1 stick yada yada...I am now getting the post code error "68" on my LE mobo...what does this mean? Im about to just cave in and RMA this board and buy a classy...

SimC

Z690 DDR5 BUILD COMPLETE!

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K (OC TBD)

GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra (OC: +175/+1550/pl 85%)
Mobo: MSI Z690-A PRO
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR5 5600MHz XMP
M.2's: Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 2280 1TB from Z690 chipset |
 Samsung 980PRO 1TB
CPU Cooling: MSI S360
PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000, 80+ Titanium
Case: Black Corsair 5000X RGB
Display: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 1ms 240hz

7 Replies Related Threads

Knud
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 204
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:LE post code error "68"?!?! 2009/11/19 03:37:49 (permalink)
    Code 68 = B8 in fact and is memory related. It cannot detect one of the memory DIMMs correctly. Can be faulthy memory (Try to run with 1 stick only) or the cpu needs to be reseated (Check for bent pins as well).

Main rig: CM ATCS 840 | X99 Krait | i7 5820K @ 3.8 Ghz | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    LAN Party rig: ATCS 500 | P35 m/b | QX6850 @ 3.3 Ghz | EVGA GTX 670 FTW | Antec H20 620 
    SimC33
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2480
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re:LE post code error "68"?!?! 2009/11/19 03:58:14 (permalink)
    EVGA_Knud

Code 68 = B8 in fact and is memory related. It cannot detect one of the memory DIMMs correctly. Can be faulthy memory (Try to run with 1 stick only) or the cpu needs to be reseated (Check for bent pins as well).

yea ive already done all that like 5 times now..I think that the mobo is shorted or could of caught some static when I was swapping out the water in the WC setup 

Z690 DDR5 BUILD COMPLETE!

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K (OC TBD)

GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra (OC: +175/+1550/pl 85%)
    Mobo: MSI Z690-A PRO
    RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR5 5600MHz XMP
    M.2's: Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 2280 1TB from Z690 chipset |
     Samsung 980PRO 1TB
    CPU Cooling: MSI S360
    PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000, 80+ Titanium
    Case: Black Corsair 5000X RGB
    Display: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 1ms 240hz

KMoore4318
    Pistoj Doulos Unum Pluribus
    • Total Posts : 17850
    • Ribbons : 238
    Re:LE post code error "68"?!?! 2009/11/19 04:55:36 (permalink)
    call 8888-880-EVGA if there 24/7 tech support can't help you, they will recomend the RMA , and may take your rma info over the phone. I usualy have better luck geting through quickly at night,

Just clink Link to Register >  My Affiliate Code:VTJPDC4OMB 
    1)965 V-8  E761(77)
    2)980X AX1200 E760(77) 980 ti
    3) E770 (77)2(590) SLI AX1200 
    4) X299 FTW K, 9980XE 2 2080 supers on AX1200
    Vasilios1
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:LE post code error "68"?!?! 2010/03/05 04:59:52 (permalink)
    ERROR CODE 68 NO POST.  The problem is very annoying.  However it has been solved.  If you will note it should post in memory slot 1, channel 1.  Channel 2 (slot 3) will not post, unless you update your bios.  However, updating your BIOS still will not allow channel two memory to be recognized (in bios) and will not be usable (in windows); example: 12 GB installed (4GB usable).

The memory controller is on the Processor of the core I7's.  However the problem is not the processor.  Even loosening your heatsink as EVGA instructs will not solve the issue.  The issue is the backplate for the heatsink.  You must loosen it to the point that it's still screwed in however it's movable, allow gravity to hold the heatsink on the cpu and don’t forget to reset your BIOS/CMOS via reset switch or by removing your CMOS battery (very important).  After you have done this and there is no pressure on your board (CPU area) go through the process of installing your memory.  It should POST with all channels recognizable unless of course you do have some kind of hardware failure.  It should be noted though that electronic components are very different then mechanical.  Since there are no moving parts, failure is rare.

You can tell that it is a backplate issue also because you will also get a 'New CPU installed' message after taking out the memory module for channel 2 (slot 3), it will post only in channel 1 (slot 1 & 2).  You see, the BIOS thinks you installed a new Processor because of the excessive pressure in that area caused by the backplate warping the LGA socket and not allowing the pins for the memory controller to make contact.  Loosening the backplate and resetting CMOS fixes it.

Once you FIX and TEST everything with the backplate loose and heatsink unscrewed (gravity contact only), then go ahead and tighten but do not over tighten; although I feel I didn’t tighten it too much either, especially with thumb screws ya know!  Anyway, tighten the backplate just enough to make contact with board stopping the backplate from moving around.  Then install the heatsink, reset CMOS and install memory and fly away!

NOTE: I've noticed that Noctua backplates have a THICKER pad then Thermalright.  The THICKER BACKPLATE PAD allows the backplate to be slightly higher off the back of the LGA socket or CPU area which helps prevent this problem.  The Thermalright backplate pad is thinner then Noctua's which will apply more pressure against the back of the LGA socket when tightened.  My guess is that you probably do not have this problem if you have Noctua, but I guess variations exist in everything.

I hope this helped, I know it's long, but so is the process of elimination!

-Vasilios-
    Vasilios1
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:LE post code error "68"?!?! 2010/03/05 05:03:42 (permalink)
    Just a note the 4GB usable in windows is because Channel 1 contains two slots @ 2GB per slot = 4GB.  Windows 64 bit is installed not 32.
    elemerica
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:LE post code error "68"?!?! 2010/03/05 06:26:27 (permalink)
    Vasilios1

ERROR CODE 68 NO POST.  The problem is very annoying.  However it has been solved.  If you will note it should post in memory slot 1, channel 1.  Channel 2 (slot 3) will not post, unless you update your bios.  However, updating your BIOS still will not allow channel two memory to be recognized (in bios) and will not be usable (in windows); example: 12 GB installed (4GB usable).

The memory controller is on the Processor of the core I7's.  However the problem is not the processor.  Even loosening your heatsink as EVGA instructs will not solve the issue.  The issue is the backplate for the heatsink.  You must loosen it to the point that it's still screwed in however it's movable, allow gravity to hold the heatsink on the cpu and don’t forget to reset your BIOS/CMOS via reset switch or by removing your CMOS battery (very important).  After you have done this and there is no pressure on your board (CPU area) go through the process of installing your memory.  It should POST with all channels recognizable unless of course you do have some kind of hardware failure.  It should be noted though that electronic components are very different then mechanical.  Since there are no moving parts, failure is rare.

You can tell that it is a backplate issue also because you will also get a 'New CPU installed' message after taking out the memory module for channel 2 (slot 3), it will post only in channel 1 (slot 1 & 2).  You see, the BIOS thinks you installed a new Processor because of the excessive pressure in that area caused by the backplate warping the LGA socket and not allowing the pins for the memory controller to make contact.  Loosening the backplate and resetting CMOS fixes it.

Once you FIX and TEST everything with the backplate loose and heatsink unscrewed (gravity contact only), then go ahead and tighten but do not over tighten; although I feel I didn’t tighten it too much either, especially with thumb screws ya know!  Anyway, tighten the backplate just enough to make contact with board stopping the backplate from moving around.  Then install the heatsink, reset CMOS and install memory and fly away!

NOTE: I've noticed that Noctua backplates have a THICKER pad then Thermalright.  The THICKER BACKPLATE PAD allows the backplate to be slightly higher off the back of the LGA socket or CPU area which helps prevent this problem.  The Thermalright backplate pad is thinner then Noctua's which will apply more pressure against the back of the LGA socket when tightened.  My guess is that you probably do not have this problem if you have Noctua, but I guess variations exist in everything.

-Vasilios-

Thank you very much for this!  I am constantly getting both of these; error 68 and the "CPU changed" warning, both of which are extremely annoying.
    HalloweenWeed
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4792
    • Ribbons : 37
    Re:LE post code error "68"?!?! 2010/03/05 08:22:40 (permalink)
    Vasilios1

[...]

-Vasilios-

This is all very interesting, thanks for the info Vasilios, but if this is the case one can't be sure the mobo is not damaged, causing the traces not to connect when pressure from the backplate or heatsink mount. Therefore I would have to recommend RMA the mobo instead!

Edit: And even heating & cooling can cause such a loose connection to fail.

But thanx again for the info Vasilios.
    post edited by HalloweenWeed - 2010/03/05 08:45:05

Main (gaming) rig: i7-3930K; Asus Rampage IV Extreme; H100 W/p-p Excaliburs, AS5; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB.
    See my primary ModsRigs: Adam for the rest, and I have a second (wife's) rig Asus Rampage III Extreme & 960: Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile