Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
brentsg
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 197
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/22 12:16:26 (permalink)
Your temps were fine and there was nothing wrong with your card.  Products must fall within a level of tolerance because you cannot mass produce perfection.  It seems like that is what you are chasing.

My father used to manage a car (Honda) dealership and he had a customer that would come by with calipers to measure door jams and things like that, always in search of the perfect car.  The customer made trip after trip looking for the perfect specimen when new stock would arrive.  They never found it.

You should be absolutely thrilled with EVGA because you got a free 1080 Ti -> 2080 Ti upgrade.  Instead you are disappointed in them.  Some people are just going to be disappointed regardless.
post edited by brentsg - 2019/07/22 12:21:24
Leonardohlb
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 177
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/23 01:21:58 (permalink)
UnrealPancake
I think you are trying to find anything at all wrong, in the most insignificant way possible, with EVGA's cards. In fact, I think they have gone above, and way beyond to try and help you. You continuously seem to think there is something wrong with the products you receive even though there isn't. The problem being SEEMINGLY there does not mean it is there. If you are looking for the coolest temperatures possible, there are solutions to do so. However an air cooled card is not that solution. You can purchase the Hybrid kit, or a full water block if you want cool temperatures.

There is no defect in the product that you received. The only defect, is the one you are creating by assuming the defect is there. The heat sink screws are not indicative of the flatness of the contact plate for the GPU die. Those screws are not indicative of anything. They are mechanically there to allow for the installation of the heat sink to the PCB, and the screws that are used (since they have springs) pull the contact plate onto the GPU die for that contact. If anything, from the pictures, it looks like you spread the TIM onto the die (don't do that), and that you installed the screw fully onto one corner first, then screwed on the others, creating an uneven contact to the GPU die. This installation method can also crack your GPU die if done EXTREMELY improperly.

Leonardohlb
I think this is the reason I never posted anything here in the forum and I never asked for help or suggestion of what I should do

If you want help or a suggestion of what to do, my suggestion would be to buy a Hybrid kit. I would normally suggest a water block, but I think there are too many components with that that you'll find a defect with all of them and never actually get it installed.

Leonardohlb
This is my last post.

I doubt it.

GTXJackBauer
Leonardohlb
I think this is the reason I never posted anything here in the forum and I never asked for help or suggestion of what I should do, you defend EVGA too much and try your best to make the consumer feel guilty for a defect in the product. This is my last post.

You can't be serious right?  He's only a forum moderator and has nothing to do with EVGA's CS.  He's giving his experienced input like some of the members here.

Now you're making me think theoretically, that you're looking for anything to be wrong with the GPU, so you can get it RMA'd and maybe get a better OC'er?  Is this what it's all about?  It's not the first time I've suspected this. lol 

P.S. - Bc wants his profile back. 

kevinc313
Leonardohlb.....I had already given up trying to improve the temperature until one person in the forum told me that my temperature was not normal, confirming what I had already imagined and this person had an XC that reached 56 ~ 60º with the fan at 100%..............

After seeing how this thread went, I feel bad about telling this guy in the other thread that his temps were a little hot. 

I got 56C running Unigine Heaven until temperature stabilized after a few minutes on my XC, at 100% power limit no OC, max case and gpu fans, in a closed room with an AC unit running set to 68F (20C).  By far not a scientific test and a best case scenario as I'm sure there are other benchmarks/games that load up a card better.  The card is new, recent production, has never been above 70C or set above 116% power limit and overall seems to run very strong.

It's clear that many of these cards run at 70-80C from the factory, imho that is too hot.  For OP to get his down to 60C with new thermal paste and 100% fans is an excellent result, the 4C temp difference between his results and mine can easily attributed to test parameters, I doubt anything is wrong with his card.

the_Scarlet_one
Leonardohlb, a do believe a lot is being lost in translation. That is why I think it is best that you speak with a support person that speaks the same language. The LATAM team will be your best bet in this case.

I am not defending EVGA. We all want to help, and it is very difficult to do when there is a language barrier as well as misunderstood communications.

I really hope you do not damage your card in hopes of adding a different cooler.

I've already said 10000000000000000 times my temperature problem has been solved, I want and I will put another cooler to improve the temperature and noise, I will not buy any hybrid kit, or custom water cooler, these EVGA products do not exist in my country, I'm not looking for a defect in my heatsink, I've found a defect based on the test that the_scarlet_one passed me, if you don't want to admit that the heatsink is defective, ok, feel free to accuse me of what you want.

Leonardohlb
Superclocked Member
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/23 01:26:14 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
At this point, you need to contact EVGA.  Everyone has given advice, and there is nothing else we can do but guess.

If you would like more help, please provide more than one component at a time in the pictures.  

if you want to check the cooler, place it cold plate down on a flat surface, and use light pressure to make sure all 4 mounting points are in contact, and look around the cooler to see if you can see where it is unlevel.  If it doesn't look unlevel, then something is obstructing the cooler from mounting properly. If it does look unlevel, contact EVGA. 

Picture so you can visualize what I mean.

You should stop suggesting false tests to the forum members because that's what you did, I tested it as it was in your "design" but the final result of the bent heatsink had no effect, on the contrary you accuse me of having bent on mounting the heat sink. If this is not a valid test why would you suggest?
xblackvalorx
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 451
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/23 01:35:04 (permalink)
I see no bend, and I honestly can't believe someone is trying this hard to find a problem that isn't there, and bashing an entire brand that just gave them a free upgrade after RMAing your original card.
This is honestly just ridiculous.
Your temps are fine, everything is perfectly fine functionally, and again. All of these products are mass produced. If it is a bit un level, but still functions properly you should be happy with your new free upgrade.
This is the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen on this forum.
lorindor
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/23 01:54:09 (permalink)
UnrealPancake

If you want help or a suggestion of what to do, my suggestion would be to buy a Hybrid kit.

I don't think this is a viable solution to suggest, as the Hybrid Kit appears to have been discontinued, and was never readily available for every region when it was in production.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/23 02:39:14 (permalink)
Leonardohlb
You should stop suggesting false tests to the forum members because that's what you did, I tested it as it was in your "design" but the final result of the bent heatsink had no effect, on the contrary you accuse me of having bent on mounting the heat sink. If this is not a valid test why would you suggest?

Leonardohlb,

You can argue all you would like. Your picture does not show a big defect like you are stating it does. Unfortunately, you are convinced that there is a problem, and no matter who helps, you try to make it their fault.

I hope you find the solution you are looking for. I won’t respond after this as you do not want anyone’s help. Even you clearly stated that trying the things I suggested wouldn’t work or fix your problem, but now you are trying to make it out to be a big deal.
UnrealPancake
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/23 03:05:25 (permalink)
lorindor
UnrealPancake

If you want help or a suggestion of what to do, my suggestion would be to buy a Hybrid kit.

I don't think this is a viable solution to suggest, as the Hybrid Kit appears to have been discontinued, and was never readily available for every region when it was in production.

There is always a secondhand market. Also, EKWB and many other manufacturers make waterblocks. He would not be restricted to ONLY EVGA.

Leonardohlb
UnrealPancake

Leonardohlb
This is my last post.

I doubt it.

I've already said 10000000000000000 times my temperature problem has been solved, I want and I will put another cooler to improve the temperature and noise, I will not buy any hybrid kit, or custom water cooler, these EVGA products do not exist in my country, I'm not looking for a defect in my heatsink, I've found a defect based on the test that the_scarlet_one passed me, if you don't want to admit that the heatsink is defective, ok, feel free to accuse me of what you want.

I told you it wouldn't be your last post.

You found what you think is a defect. You are trying to justify what you THINK is a defect but actually properly manufactured. If you don't want to admit the heatsink is actually fine, ok, accuse EVGA of what you want. It's okay to be wrong even if you don't think you are.
post edited by UnrealPancake - 2019/07/23 03:08:12
transdogmifier
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6116
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/23 03:58:01 (permalink)
I think you went overboard with this. If the card is within spec, there's no need to do anything.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
Deepcool LT720
Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
Phanteks P500A Case

Leonardohlb
Superclocked Member
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/24 14:54:23 (permalink)
UnrealPancake
lorindor
UnrealPancake

There is always a secondhand market. Also, EKWB and many other manufacturers make waterblocks. He would not be restricted to ONLY EVGA.

Leonardohlb
UnrealPancake

Leonardohlb
This is my last post.

I doubt it.

I told you it wouldn't be your last post.

You found what you think is a defect. You are trying to justify what you THINK is a defect but actually properly manufactured. If you don't want to admit the heatsink is actually fine, ok, accuse EVGA of what you want. It's okay to be wrong even if you don't think you are.

The temperature and operation are perfect, but the heatsink is warped end point.
UnrealPancake
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/24 15:02:01 (permalink)
It isn't. The screws mount points are not indication of flatness for the cooling shroud.
Leonardohlb
Superclocked Member
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/24 15:18:20 (permalink)
My temperature problem was solved when I changed the way to apply the thermal paste, my temperatures were perfectly fine, but now they are better with arctic accelero III, only one modification was in the heat sink base bracket, the rest remains original, I used adhesive thermal pads these are better and do not stick permanently, so now my video card is perfect reaching 54º with overclocking keeping stable clock of 2040/16800, arctic will provide me with free power adapter to plug into the video card.

Attached Image(s)

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/24 16:16:50 (permalink)
Glad to hear you're happy with your temps and OCs.  

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/24 18:52:35 (permalink)
Leonardohlb
My temperature problem was solved when I changed the way to apply the thermal paste, my temperatures were perfectly fine, but now they are better with arctic accelero III, only one modification was in the heat sink base bracket, the rest remains original, I used adhesive thermal pads these are better and do not stick permanently, so now my video card is perfect reaching 54º with overclocking keeping stable clock of 2040/16800, arctic will provide me with free power adapter to plug into the video card.

What modification was in the heat sink base bracket? How did the thermal paste application look after you made the changes?
Leonardohlb
Superclocked Member
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/24 20:38:13 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
Leonardohlb

What modification was in the heat sink base bracket? How did the thermal paste application look after you made the changes?

I took a few millimeters from the edge of the bracket so I didn't have to cut the baseplate, this was the only modification I made, contrary to what you thought I didn't want to heat sink RMA simply to get a better overlock video card, I've already I could do that 2040/16800 with the EVGA heatsink but the clock was not stable like now and it made a lot of noise, if I could I would just do the heatsink RMA but now it doesn't matter anymore.

The adhesive thermal pad I used I tested on other hardware, I could remove it very easily, so I applied it to all the sinks placed on the baseplate, maybe it has some little scratches on the side of the baseplate does this void the warranty?

I'm sorry for the limited images, but I need to do this so that I can upload to the site.

But the heatsink of EVGA is warped.
post edited by Leonardohlb - 2019/07/24 20:47:41

Attached Image(s)

Leonardohlb
Superclocked Member
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/24 20:53:16 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
Glad to hear you're happy with your temps and OCs.  

I was happy before this change, but I just wanted EVGA to recognize the bent heatsink and come up with a solution, but that doesn't matter anymore.

Playing Ghost Recon Wildlands the temperatures are great.
post edited by Leonardohlb - 2019/07/24 20:57:49

Attached Image(s)

Leonardohlb
Superclocked Member
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/24 21:56:55 (permalink)
Maybe here you can get a better sense of the temperature stability, that is with the fans in 12v. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ixfe70YDSY
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/25 12:12:56 (permalink)
Leonardohlb
Maybe here you can get a better sense of the temperature stability, that is with the fans in 12v. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ixfe70YDSY

Attached Image(s)

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/25 12:20:49 (permalink)
Is anyone surprised that the 2080 Ti black has a potato cooler.....?
Leonardohlb
Superclocked Member
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/25 12:58:30 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
Leonardohlb

Sorry, it was as private, now ok.
Leonardohlb
Superclocked Member
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/26 14:33:03 (permalink)
kevinc313

What do you mean by that?
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49165
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/26 14:36:47 (permalink)
Leonardohlb
kevinc313

Potato Cooler = Crappy Cooler.
Leonardohlb
Superclocked Member
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/26 15:12:53 (permalink)
Sajin
Leonardohlb
kevinc313

Potato Cooler = Crappy Cooler.

For the cost is not the worst but could not even be better, but mine is still warped, but I will not use it anytime soon just in case of RMA.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/26 19:37:23 (permalink)
Leonardohlb,

That was a good idea to adjust the accelero heatsink.

To get around the kB size limit of the forum, upload the images to Imgur or another image hosting site that is free. Make sure the image you share has .jpg at the end. Usually you can right click and “open image in a new tab” to get to the proper link with .jpg

If you try to load an I age without the .jpg link, it will not show properly.
Leonardohlb
Superclocked Member
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/26 21:40:03 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
Leonardohlb,

That was a good idea to adjust the accelero heatsink.

To get around the kB size limit of the forum, upload the images to Imgur or another image hosting site that is free. Make sure the image you share has .jpg at the end. Usually you can right click and “open image in a new tab” to get to the proper link with .jpg

If you try to load an I age without the .jpg link, it will not show properly.

Thanks, but I think the baseplate may have a little scratch because of the screw, does this void the warranty?

Attached Image(s)

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/27 08:38:49 (permalink)
Leonardohlb
Thanks, but I think the baseplate may have a little scratch because of the screw, does this void the warranty?

It could.
 The Dots look worse

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: Is this a heat sink defect? RMA again? 2019/07/27 11:50:42 (permalink)
Leonardohlb

I can not say for sure, as I am not an employee, but I don’t think it would cause a problem. As long as the baseplate is fully intact, minor scratches can happen. That doesn’t look too bad from what a I can see from the picture.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile