EVGA

AnsweredIntroducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology!

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 17 of 59
Author
tizubythefizo
  • Total Posts : 72
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 14:57:29 (permalink)
Bitvar
tizubythefizo
Xaelias
Desaccorde
Still torn between 3090 and 3080. Wish we had the benchmarks. One moment thinking about longevity, and then cannot justify the price/performance increase over 3080. Would love to see if 3090 is an overkill on new AAA games for 144hz@1440p. 

I think a bunch of us are in that same place.
The problems are everywhere though:
- 3090 is released after the 3080, which means to be safe you'll need to preorder both
- the Ti are already being rumored in some places
- what about waterblocks (for those of us with watercooling loops)
- etc.

You won't have to worry about pre-orders. There aren't going to be any. Nvidia (Reddit), EVGA (twitter via JacobF), and MSI (MSI Insider Stream) have all confirmed no pre-orders, with MSI additionally revealing Nvidia isn't allowing anyone to do them.

Yep and lucky us no one who should get one will be able to get one because EVGA doesn't have a captcha verification system at checkout (only at account creation) so all the available stock will be bought up and sold on eBay/Amazon for 2-3x the cost and their loyal decade long customers (like me) will be SOL. 

They do household limits though, so someone trying to automate purchasing would need many, many different addresses to ship to.
felicityc
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 15:35:01 (permalink)
tizubythefizo

They do household limits though, so someone trying to automate purchasing would need many, many different addresses to ship to.

you underestimate the scalpers my friend
supremeMilo
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 15:38:30 (permalink)
felicityc
tizubythefizo

Do they not have access to preorders?  LMAO.
coding102
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 16:06:20 (permalink)
evgoli
This could end up working out well for AMD next month if they can provide something mildly competitive in high volume, if Nvidia can't supply 30xx quick enough.

As someone with a 1080Ti FTW3 I can wait, also as I suspect the 3080Ti series is waiting in the wilderness to fill the $800-1000 void.

I see Lenovo leaked a 3070Ti.  
felicityc
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 16:06:29 (permalink)
supremeMilo
felicityc
tizubythefizo

Do they not have access to preorders?  LMAO.

Just wait 'till my team of 50 rupee/hr Microsoft Support Team representatives in New Delhi are watching all night for the instant it drops, and incentivized based on number of refreshes, all on VPNs to burner addresses and anyone who gets a purchase gets a bonus

hope this isn't giving anyone ideas cuz it's not a bad one
Omoeba
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 134
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 16:33:53 (permalink)
Trigger2142
Omoeba
But it would be a shame if it's only the XC3 black since it doesn't have a backplate.

What does backplate get you versus not having one?

Mainly to stop GPU sag, especially on a long triple-fan card like the XC3. It also looks better than just a bare PCB.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 2x16GB
Inland Performance 2TB SSD
EVGA Supernova 850 G+ PSU
Fractal Meshify C Case

q5sys
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 153
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 16:54:15 (permalink)
Desaccorde
Still torn between 3090 and 3080. Wish we had the benchmarks. One moment thinking about longevity, and then cannot justify the price/performance increase over 3080. Would love to see if 3090 is an overkill on new AAA games for 144hz@1440p. 

Yea but we have to wait on those... you can sorta badly estimate what the perf might be...  Nvidia gave us a relative ratio between the 3070 and the 3080 in their slides... take the specs and extrapolate from there... but remember the 3090 isn't "designed" for gaming, it seems to be designed for Rendering and AI.  IMHO, if you buy the 3090 for gaming you're doing it wrong.  The benefit of the 3090 is its memory footprint not the increased compute ability.  But I realize there are a lot of people who will because they want the biggest and baddest, and the 10gb of the 3080 isnt enough.  But if stock levels will be low, it'll suck for the people that need the 3090 for work.  I was limited in doing AI model work because of the 8gb that my 2080 Super had, but i couldnt afford the Titan.  The 3090 is perfectly placed for me... but I know there's many Gamers out there that'll go for it and never utilize the cards memory footprint.  Que Sera Sera.  

(not regarding memory amount, only talking about on-die specs)

3070 @ $499
20 shared Tflops
40 RT Tflops
163 Tensor Tflops

3080 @ $699
30 shared Tflops
58 RT Tflops
238 Tensor Tflops
Which is roughly 150% of the 3070's hardware specs for 140% the cost of the 3070

3090 @ $1499
36 shared Tflops
69 RT Tflops
285 Tensor Tflops
Which is roughly 120% of the 3080's hardware specs for 215% the cost of the 3080.

post edited by q5sys - 2020/09/02 17:08:20
q5sys
Superclocked Member
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 16:58:36 (permalink)
tizubythefizo

That's really not hard to accomplish.  I have a house address, three PO Boxes, an office address, and if I decided to farm out to family, that'd be another 8 or 9 addresses i could potentially use.  You'd be surprised how many addresses a single person can come up with if there's money to be made.  At the local Mail place near me, a 6 month box is like $20... Someone could go in and buy a dozen of them... they'd definitely make their money back in the long run once they flip the cards.
The reason scalpers exist in the first place is because how much money they can make from doing it.  Where there's a will there's a way.   
Gonzhilla
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 17:10:01 (permalink)
Right? I'm cutting it close. I have 35 days left to step up, so October 8th ish
tizubythefizo
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 17:29:57 (permalink)
q5sys
tizubythefizo

That's really not hard to accomplish.  I have a house address, three PO Boxes, an office address, and if I decided to farm out to family, that'd be another 8 or 9 addresses i could potentially use.  You'd be surprised how many addresses a single person can come up with if there's money to be made.  At the local Mail place near me, a 6 month box is like $20... Someone could go in and buy a dozen of them... they'd definitely make their money back in the long run once they flip the cards.
The reason scalpers exist in the first place is because how much money they can make from doing it.  Where there's a will there's a way.   

EVGA doesn't ship to PO boxes (or at least didn't use to) so you'd need actual physical addresses.

Anyway at that point it's no different than just pooling your money together with friends and family and forming a semi-criminal enterprise (the scalping itself might be legit depending on state, but misusing the mail system to effectively defraud EVGA could be a federal crime), having each of them order two (you need different payment options tied to different addresses for each 2) separately while one of you does the reselling and divvies up the cash. I could see a single person getting a half dozen to a dozen cards this way with enough effort, but the sheer amount of upfront capital and different physical addresses and payment methods tied to those addresses is a pretty significant hurdle. It's not "easy" by any stretch.

But contextually we were talking about a single scalper getting dozens to hundreds of cards using automation, which is what household limits mitigate (assuming their system is designed well, doing cross references with payment information, and isn't just a straight addresses). Theoretically it can be circumvented with enough up front cash and prep work, but that's getting into organized crime territory.

Much more likely scenario is many different scalpers try to order 2-4 with a partner and sell them that way.
q5sys
Superclocked Member
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 17:46:11 (permalink)
tizubythefizo

EVGA doesn't ship to PO boxes (or at least didn't use to) so you'd need actual physical addresses.

Non US Postal Service PO Box Mail locations accept all deliveries (UPS, Fedex, DHL, etc) with a different physical address for each person.  It's no different than the way it works for apartment complexes. EVGA is not going to restrict one card per Highrise in NYC... the same would apply. 

tizubythefizo
Anyway at that point it's no different than just pooling your money together with friends and family and forming a semi-criminal enterprise (the scalping itself might be legit depending on state, but misusing the mail system to effectively defraud EVGA could be a federal crime), having each of them order two (you need different payment options tied to different addresses for each 2) separately while one of you does the reselling and divvies up the cash. I could see a single person getting a half dozen to a dozen cards this way with enough effort, but the sheer amount of upfront capital and different physical addresses and payment methods tied to those addresses is a pretty significant hurdle. It's not "easy" by any stretch.

It's not defrauding EVGA, as you'd be buying them at market price.  Would a guy running a small computer shop buying 10 and marking them up $100 to sell on his shelves be defrauding EVGA? As for different cards, that's also not difficult to get around with one time use cards.

It being expensive doesn't mean its not easy.  And if you're taking those $699 3080s and selling them for $1000, if you sell 10, you've just made $3k. 
post edited by q5sys - 2020/09/02 17:51:12
NICROD
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 465
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 17:51:22 (permalink)
Xaelias
HeavyHemi
NICROD
I agree, they should be screening loyalty customers to the front of the line. Its a no brainer. I tell you what if they leave us all to try and fight the bots. We should boycott and jump ship to another company this gen. I bet if we start organizing right here they will notice and do something. 

Should I be in front of you with your 22 hours of 'loyalty'?

I mean let him jump ship. One fewer person in line ;-)

It's the customers with blind loyalty that allows companies to continue taking advantage of their herd, moooooo. 
Xaelias
HeavyHemi
NICROD
I agree, they should be screening loyalty customers to the front of the line. Its a no brainer. I tell you what if they leave us all to try and fight the bots. We should boycott and jump ship to another company this gen. I bet if we start organizing right here they will notice and do something. 

Should I be in front of you with your 22 hours of 'loyalty'?

I mean let him jump ship. One fewer person in line ;-)

robertdinh
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 139
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 17:57:37 (permalink)
I don't think evga is going to lose sleep if any of us buy a gpu from another brand because they were out of stock at evga and we really wanted to get one.  

Regardless of whether we get the cards we want at the time we want from the brand we want, evga will still offer quality products with great warranty.

It's ok to try and address the issue of potentially low supply + scalpers etc, but don't let that too quickly become a false sense of entitlement.  
tizubythefizo
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 18:13:40 (permalink)
q5sys
tizubythefizo

Non US Postal Service PO Box Mail locations accept all deliveries (UPS, Fedex, DHL, etc) with a different physical address for each person.  It's no different than the way it works for apartment complexes. EVGA is not going to restrict one card per Highrise in NYC... the same would apply. 

tizubythefizo

It's not defrauding EVGA, as you'd be buying them at market price.  Would a guy running a small computer shop buying 10 and marking them up $100 to sell on his shelves be defrauding EVGA? As for different cards, that's also not difficult to get around with one time use cards.

It being expensive doesn't mean its not easy.  And if you're taking those $699 3080s and selling them for $1000, if you sell 10, you've just made $3k. 

Apologies, should be fraud instead of defraud.

It's fraud, as you would be circumventing the restrictions the selling entity put in place, acquiring the goods in bad faith for your own financial gain (which is the literal definition of fraud).

Using the postal service to carry that out makes it mail fraud and a federal crime.
Bitvar
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 18:18:24 (permalink)
tizubythefizo
q5sys
tizubythefizo

tizubythefizo

It's fraud, as you would be circumventing the restrictions the selling entity put in place, acquiring the goods in bad faith for your own financial gain (which is the literal definition of fraud).

Using the postal service to carry that out makes it mail fraud and a federal crime.

There aren't any restrictions. Unless you count the account creation a restriction. But anyone can bulk make accounts starting now and be ready to go with some click-through scripts come sale day and buy as many as they want for scalping on ebay/amazon.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24079
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 18:20:54 (permalink)
Bitvar
tizubythefizo
q5sys
tizubythefizo

tizubythefizo

There aren't any restrictions. Unless you count the account creation a restriction. But anyone can bulk make accounts starting now and be ready to go with some click-through scripts come sale day and buy as many as they want for scalping on ebay/amazon.

Incorrect, Evga will ban multiple account from the same user or address if it is noticed, especially if they are created in rapid secession. It is strictly prohibited for a user to have more than one account.
Xaelias
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 18:31:17 (permalink)
q5sys

Except the sheer amount of memory in the 3090 is what makes it attractive for gamers when it comes to future proofing.
Games are going to be able to use more and more memory. Especially with 4k and 8k coming up.
q5sys
Superclocked Member
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 18:32:19 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
Bitvar

Incorrect, Evga will ban multiple account from the same user or address if it is noticed, especially if they are created in rapid secession. It is strictly prohibited for a user to have more than one account.

q5sys
Superclocked Member
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 18:37:21 (permalink)
Xaelias
q5sys

Except the sheer amount of memory in the 3090 is what makes it attractive for gamers when it comes to future proofing.
Games are going to be able to use more and more memory. Especially with 4k and 8k coming up.

Sure... but by the time games have 24gb of assets, these people will be buying the next gen card with even more memory.  And to be frank... i'd bet most of the people that will be buying the 3090 on launch day are the same people that will be buying the 4090 or whatever on launch day, because they want the best of the best no matter what., and they wont be satisfied having a generation old card.  I know several people that sold their 2080ti's a few weeks ago in preparation just to buy the newest top of the line card released and they wanted to beat the drop in prices and get the most out the cards they were liquidating.  They did the same with their 1080ti's a few weeks before the 20 series was launched.  
Xaelias
Superclocked Member
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 18:42:37 (permalink)
q5sys
Xaelias
q5sys

Sure... but by the time games have 24gb of assets, these people will be buying the next gen card with even more memory.  And to be frank... i'd bet most of the people that will be buying the 3090 on launch day are the same people that will be buying the 4090 or whatever on launch day, because they want the best of the best no matter what., and they wont be satisfied having a generation old card.  I know several people that sold their 2080ti's a few weeks ago in preparation just to buy the newest top of the line card released and they wanted to beat the drop in prices and get the most out the cards they were liquidating.  They did the same with their 1080ti's a few weeks before the 20 series was launched.  

We already have games that can fill 10GB of memory though...
tizubythefizo
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 18:47:34 (permalink)
Bitvar
tizubythefizo
q5sys
tizubythefizo

tizubythefizo

The restrictions are on household limits. Usually 2 per household for GFX cards (at least for the current 20xx high end lineups) and have been seen as low as 1 back in the 1080ti days (hopefully it isn't "1" this time since my girlfriend and I both want 3090 ftw3 ultras). It's marked clear as day on the product pages in the store.

Attempting to circumvent those limits without EVGAs approval to do so is fraud - depending on state it may be criminal fraud but is typically civil fraud (which typically isn't actually taken to court, except in some extremely rare cases as EVGA would have to prove financial harm to them, which is hard to do).

However, using the mail system (so getting the stuff shipped) to commit any type of fraud (civil or criminal) is itself a felony. Now, small time people doing won't ever realistically be prosecuted (unless EVGA themselves get seriously pissed and complain to the DOJ). But larger rackets could be.
tackle70
  • Total Posts : 55
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 18:53:10 (permalink)
Xaelias
q5sys
Xaelias
q5sys

We already have games that can fill 10GB of memory though...

Yup. This is why I'm biting the bullet and going 3090. I'm not sure if I'll upgrade again next gen or not, but I don't trust 10GB VRAM to last more than 1-2 years. I know the 3090 won't be fast enough to keep up once 24GB is a legit requirement, but I'm not confident 10GB is enough to last for the duration that the 3080 will be otherwise relevant. RTX features are memory hogs.
exilelrrp
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 411
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 19:01:14 (permalink)
Shm.... Senseless discussions - Who gives a **** who does what to get a GPU or 3 in their hands, just buy it and keep it moving.

*Lian Li PC-011D Mini (Black) *i9-10900K *ROG Strix Z490-G *Nzxt Kraken Z73/Lian Li UNI SL120 Series *Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 *Corsair HX1200i *EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ultra FTW3 *Samsung 970 Evo M.2 1TB *Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB *Samsung 840 Evo Series 1TB SSD *Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ *Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB *Corsair Dark Core *Corsair Gaming MM800 *Corsair ST100 *Razer Nari Ultimate.

Xaelias
Superclocked Member
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 19:04:36 (permalink)
exilelrrp
Shm.... Senseless discussions - Who gives a **** who does what to get a GPU or 3 in their hands, just buy it and keep it moving.

Well EVGA "enabling" people to get 3 GPUs when there is a very short supply means 2 "regular people" won't get to buy theirs.
That's... why some people care.
q5sys
Superclocked Member
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 19:05:00 (permalink)
tizubythefizo

However, using the mail system (so getting the stuff shipped) to commit any type of fraud (civil or criminal) is itself a felony. 

Not according to Federal law, Mail fraud is defined in  as:

Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud,

or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations,
or promises, or to sell, dispose of, loan, exchange, alter, give away, distribute, supply,
or furnish or procure for unlawful use any counterfeit or spurious coin, obligation, security, or other article,
or anything represented to be or intimated or held out to be such counterfeit or spurious article,
for the purpose of executing such scheme or artifice or attempting so to do,
places in any post office or authorized depository for mail matter, any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by the Postal Service,
or deposits or causes to be deposited any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by any private or commercial interstate carrier,
or takes or receives therefrom, any such matter or thing,
or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail or such carrier according to the direction thereon,
or at the place at which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, any such matter or thing, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.

Buying cards in violation of EVGA's Terms of Service does not constitute any thing listed in the above section of Federal Code.

It's crappy human behavior and a violation of EVGA's ToS... but its not Federal Mail Fraud.
Xaelias
Superclocked Member
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 19:09:03 (permalink)
q5sys
tizubythefizo

However, using the mail system (so getting the stuff shipped) to commit any type of fraud (civil or criminal) is itself a felony. 

Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud,

or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations,
or promises, or to sell, dispose of, loan, exchange, alter, give away, distribute, supply,
or furnish or procure for unlawful use any counterfeit or spurious coin, obligation, security, or other article,
or anything represented to be or intimated or held out to be such counterfeit or spurious article,
places in any post office or authorized depository for mail matter, any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by the Postal Service,
or deposits or causes to be deposited any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by any private or commercial interstate carrier,
or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail or such carrier according to the direction thereon,
or at the place at which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, any such matter or thing, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.

Buying cards in violation of EVGA's Terms of Service does not constitute any thing listed in the above section of Federal Code.

It's crappy human behavior and a violation of EVGA's ToS... but its not Federal Mail Fraud.

for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses

Doesn't that kinda fit the definition?
q5sys
Superclocked Member
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 19:11:09 (permalink)
Xaelias
q5sys

for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses

Doesn't that kinda fit the definition?

Nope, "False or Fraudulent Pretenses" requires defrauding the victim or outright theft which is then called Larceny.  Buying something at market value does not constitute defrauding an individual or company. You have to deprave the victim, buying at retail cost doesn't fit that definition.
FWIW... much of the law is counter-intuitive to everyday thinking.  Hence why Lawyers rule the world. lol
tizubythefizo
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 19:43:08 (permalink)
q5sys
tizubythefizo

"or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses"

That's literally what we're talking about.

EVGA has a per household limit. Someone circumvents that process against their purchasing agreement - they're now using false/fraudulent pretenses to obtain property. Send it through the mail (private carrier or USPS as defined above) and it's mail fraud.

Like I said though, small time one offs, probably not going to face charges. But large schemes or piss EVGA off to the point they complain and they might.
q5sys
Superclocked Member
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 19:49:26 (permalink)
tizubythefizo

"or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses"

That's literally what we're talking about.

Read my post above your reply.  "obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses" requires 'defrauding' the victim.  Violating EVGA's ToS does not defraud EVGA.  EVGA is not depraved of value if EVGA is paid their asking price.  Violating ToS != Commiting a crime. 

But this is getting way off topic of the cards though... shall we return to the point of the thread?  
post edited by q5sys - 2020/09/02 19:52:18
joemama5136
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/02 19:54:46 (permalink)
has there been anything on the price of the 3090 hybrid

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 17 of 59
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile