EVGA

Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2017/11/08 10:28:36 (permalink)
Will get you taken care of :-).
demon09
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1334
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2017/11/08 11:03:23 (permalink)
ksgnow2010
The picture of the card you posted was very dusty...too much for only a year worth of use.  Once you get this sorted out, you need to work on your case airflow and keep that much dust from getting inside the case.

Also - I live in Florida (grew up in upstate NY)...your humidity is nothing compared to Florida - hehe.  My machines run 24/7, and I have never had corrosion on any plug/socket/connector/etc.  However, I do manage the dust in my systems (i.e. positive air flow with intake filters).

I would bet the power supply is faulty too.
could be a dusty basement . And just because you are in high humidity do you keep your rig in a basement? As humdity allways gets traped down in dark cool basements so it's not out of the possibility that he's in a high humidity area + being in a basement adding up to high humidity then you would find in a normal house.+ A running rig probably helps keep the humdity down inside the case as PC componesnts give off dry heat so an idle rig would be more prone to humity build up.
post edited by demon09 - 2017/11/08 11:07:04
TheStranjer
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2017/11/08 21:25:33 (permalink)
Update: You guys were almost assuredly correct. The corrosion on the pins of my EVGA card appear to be a non-issue, as it detects the card just fine. I have a spare PSU, but it's only rated for 400W, so I was careful to not actually boot to anything for fear of harming things. Well, it turned right on and got the power it needed, provided I didn't plug much else in (like my HDD).

I turned it on and off a few times with no problems. It's the PSU.

I also took the crappy Sentey I had in out and took my roommate's multimeter to it; I put a safety pin in the PSU's ON switch to keep it powered by plugging it in. Well, lo' and behold, the PCIe voltage is inconsistent. I would get 15v one minute, 8v the next, and sometimes just nothing at all. The Sentey PSU was shot, and I don't care to try to repair its subcomponents because thanks to a very generous user on this board, I have already obtained another PSU that's en route.

Thanks for the help again, guys.
demon09
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1334
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2017/11/08 21:41:59 (permalink)
TheStranjer
Update: You guys were almost assuredly correct. The corrosion on the pins of my EVGA card appear to be a non-issue, as it detects the card just fine. I have a spare PSU, but it's only rated for 400W, so I was careful to not actually boot to anything for fear of harming things. Well, it turned right on and got the power it needed, provided I didn't plug much else in (like my HDD).

I also took the crappy Sentey I had in out and took my roommate's multimeter to it; I put a safety pin in the PSU's ON switch to keep it powered by plugging it in. Well, lo' and behold, the PCIe voltage is inconsistent. I would get 15v one minute, 8v the next, and sometimes just nothing at all. The Sentey PSU was shot, and I don't care to try to repair its subcomponents because thanks to a very generous user on this board, I have already obtained another PSU that's en route.

glad you figured it out. And PSU repair unless done professionaly is never a good idea. I'd bet 400 psu watt would handle a 1060 and your CPU if it's a decent single rail PSU its maybe not ideal but I'd bet it would be fine light loads exspecailly if nothing's overclocked. it could easily hold you over tell the PSU from scarlet gets to you
TheStranjer
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2017/11/08 21:48:47 (permalink)
demon09
TheStranjer

glad you figured it out. And PSU repair unless done professionaly is never a good idea. I'd bet 400 psu watt would handle a 1060 and your CPU if it's a decent single rail PSU its maybe not ideal but I'd bet it would be fine light loads exspecailly if nothing's overclocked. it could easily hold you over tell the PSU from scarlet gets to you

I'm not risking it.

Also, I never overclock anything. If anything, I lean conservatively, and all-but-underclock them. I try to mitigate stress on hardware by doing things like throttling frame rates and that sort of thing. I feel my heart stop when I load up a new installation of, I don't know, League of Legends (I know, the community is deeply toxic, but bear with me), and I see the FPS go straight up to 250 or whatever. I go "oh crap!" and throttle it to 60FPS, which is the frame rate of my monitor.
post edited by Sajin - 2017/11/08 23:23:56
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2017/11/08 23:24:12 (permalink)
TheStranjer

PietroBR
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1202
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2017/11/09 02:24:17 (permalink)
TheStranjer
The Sentey PSU was shot, and I don't care to try to repair its subcomponents because thanks to a very generous user on this board, I have already obtained another PSU that's en route.

the_Scarlet_one
Will get you taken care of :-).

Seriously.
I gotta love how helpfull this community is.
Way to go Scarlet ;).

In other hand, good thing you were able to find the real issue.
About the humidity on your area, you could use some material to absorve the humidity, at least close of your pc, just in case.
Good old Silica Gel Bag is one of the best for it (leave some inside the chassis and you should cool - don't think this would have any counter effect inside the case).

Case: Asus Z370-G Box / MB: Asus Z370-G / CPU: Intel I7 8700K / Mem.: 16GB (2x8) 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 / GPU: GTX 1080TI FTW3 / A.I.O. W.C: EVGA CLC280 / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W

TheStranjer
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2017/11/22 18:24:42 (permalink)
Alright, so I just installed the EVGA PSU and it works fantastically. Whoever came up with the idea to have detachable cords in the rear (and whoever made the call to fork over the R&D bucks to make it real) deserves a massive raise. No more cluttered cords in my case.

I'm basically coming back in to confirm the correctness of the other users here, but also to once again thank the guy who sold me this PSU on the cheap.
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6681
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2017/11/22 20:44:04 (permalink)
:) Sweet! Enjoy the holiday weekend!

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
TheStranjer
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2017/11/22 21:43:52 (permalink)
Unfortunately, the same issue just came up, but with some interesting details. Now, it alternates between the error in the OP, and running for a little while and then shutting down. However, instead of shutting down normally, the screen goes blank, and the GPU's fan goes full blast. It sounds like it's taking off. 

I know it's the GPU's fan because I tried leaving the case open long enough to put my ear to different parts of it, and it's definitely coming from the GPU. I also know that it's definitely not overheating because my rig has a program that logs the temperature every second (cleared daily, thank God), and the highest temperature listed is 30C. To ensure that it's not just ht sensor that's wrong, I also put my finger on the card itself and near the fan right after it starts going wild and it was cool to the touch. It isn't overheating.

So, there is likely something wrong with the GPU itself, but what that is, I don't know. My current play is to look for Black Friday deals in a couple of days while I keep fiddling with what I have to see if I can fix it on my own. We'll see, though. I'll take any advice or ideas you guys have to offer.
TheStranjer
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2017/11/22 22:08:03 (permalink)
Other weird evidence:

So I noticed that Open Hardware Monitor lets you run a "web server," which you can access across your LAN. Well, I decided to run that and just use it until it crashes as it always does, auto-refreshing every 1s. Well, I was wrong about one thing. The highest temperature it gets is to 34C, which I'll grant I'm still fine with.

That said, even after the display goes blank and the fan goes nuts, the web server keeps responding, which means that the rest of the hardware is working just fine! It's literally just the video card that's pooping itself.

I'm pretty convinced that my video card is also a problem device. I've had it for a while, though, so I'm not too mad about it dying. That said, if you guys have any recommendations as to what to buy next, or ways that I could potentially fix the video card itself, I'll gladly take it on board. Thanks again, guys.
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2017/11/22 22:34:23 (permalink)
Yup it's the old lack screen 100%+ fan issue.. it's a goner.. my 2nd 1080ti ftw3 elite had the same issue on day 1.. exchanged it at the store day 2.

Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2017/11/23 00:02:24 (permalink)
Looks like that sentey psu damaged your video card. Just another lesson not to skimp on your psu.
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2017/11/23 09:12:12 (permalink)
Just like how the evga supernova 750watt G2 took out my 1080ti ftw3 elite? Heh.. that power supply is fine. Ran the 980 sli heavily overcloked just fine and now the classified 1080 just fine.

It's whatever faulty part in the 1080ftw cards that was secretly replaced to fix the issue back when is the same cause for his card and the ftw3 I had.

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2017/11/23 11:51:16 (permalink)
AHowes
Just like how the evga supernova 750watt G2 took out my 1080ti ftw3 elite? Heh.. that power supply is fine. Ran the 980 sli heavily overcloked just fine and now the classified 1080 just fine.

It's whatever faulty part in the 1080ftw cards that was secretly replaced to fix the issue back when is the same cause for his card and the ftw3 I had.

The new psu he is using now is fine. The sentey unit wasn't fine.
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2017/11/23 12:30:23 (permalink)
Relax guys and Happy Thanksgiving and....BTW

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-Marketplace-f54.aspx

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

INTL_akash
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2019/06/12 09:33:15 (permalink)
Hey. I know this is an old thread but i wanted to know if your graphic card was indeed the problem and replacing it fixed your problem.
I am facing a situation exactly like yours. My computer gives the "please turn off and connect pcie cables to the graphic card" error OR the screen goes blank and graphic card fans max out with noise. Ive tried changing monitor connecting cable from dvi to hdmi, have tried different wall sockets of my house, freshly reinstalled windows.
I have also changed the PSU but the problem has not been fixed and is still exactly the same. Graphic card is a 1060.
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2019/06/12 09:42:11 (permalink)
INTL_akash
Hey. I know this is an old thread but i wanted to know if your graphic card was indeed the problem and replacing it fixed your problem.
I am facing a situation exactly like yours. My computer gives the "please turn off and connect pcie cables to the graphic card" error OR the screen goes blank and graphic card fans max out with noise. Ive tried changing monitor connecting cable from dvi to hdmi, have tried different wall sockets of my house, freshly reinstalled windows.
I have also changed the PSU but the problem has not been fixed and is still exactly the same. Graphic card is a 1060.

Welcome to the Forum
But after two years most likely the OP now has a newer Graphics Card.
When you changed your Power Supply did you also replace all the Cables and use Only the ones that came with your new PSU?
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/06/12 09:50:59

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

INTL_akash
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2019/06/12 22:58:25 (permalink)
Thanks for your reply. The power supply has the cables going inside it and not detachable ones. So yes the cables are new as well.
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2019/06/13 10:26:03 (permalink)
INTL_akash
Thanks for your reply. The power supply has the cables going inside it and not detachable ones. So yes the cables are new as well.

Can you remove the GPU from the MB and use a different PCIe Slot?

INTL_akash
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2019/06/13 12:35:27 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
Can you remove the GPU from the MB and use a different PCIe Slot?

There is only 1 pcie slot in my motherboard.
Motherboard is: MSI H-110m pro-vd plus.
Today i gave my graphics card for RMA i will update if new graphic card will indeed solve the issue or not.
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2019/06/13 12:43:27 (permalink)
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/H110M-PRO-VD-PLUS-.html
Are you running Bios 7A15v1C on your Motherboard  http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7A15v1C.zip
You may also want to install Intel® Chipset Driver for Windows Version: 10.1.18019.8144 (Latest)  
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/06/13 12:56:57

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2019/06/13 15:20:12 (permalink)
@ INTL_akash Any updates?
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/06/13 15:24:12

INTL_akash
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2019/06/19 11:52:51 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
@ Any updates?

Im sorry for the late reply but i received my new graphics card after the RMA and i can confirm that now the issue seems to be resolved. I am getting neither of the errors. If i dont provide any future updates on the same then consider that it was infact the graphic card issue and changing it resolved it. Thank you for your help.
veganfanatic
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2119
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Intermittent error: PLEASE POWER DOWN PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 2019/06/19 13:01:10 (permalink)
Sajin
Looks like that sentey psu damaged your video card. Just another lesson not to skimp on your psu.

My old PSU was the Corsair TX850V2 which still works very well.

I replaced it with the AX860i which is the same capacity but its 80 plus platinum which makes it the most efficient PSU I can easily obtain.

I agree with Sajin on skimping on the PSU as the whole rig depends on it and one fault can wipe out thousands of dollars worth of hardware very quickly.

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile