EVGA

Intel Readies ATX 12VHPWR Connector Revision to Address Improper-Contact Fire Hazards

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2023/03/13 02:59:06 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/305837/intel-readies-atx-12vhpwr-connector-revision-to-address-improper-contact-fire-hazards

Intel is preparing a revision to the design of the 12+4 pin ATX 12VHPWR power connector, specifically its male connector, to improve connector mating and retention; and to minimize a potential fire hazard aspiring from improper retention or mating. The male connector design revision will retain full compatibility with female connectors of devices in circulation. It essentially sees the pins of the male connector switch from a "three dimple" joint to a "push-spring" type joint. This design change makes the male connector much more resilient to weakening contact from pull forces arising from cable bending. The resulting connector would offer superior structural integrity of the connection.

I had a feeling Intel would make some changes after the 16 pin connector fire issues. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

14 Replies Related Threads

BizSAR
    EGC Lead Admin / EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 1712
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Intel Readies ATX 12VHPWR Connector Revision to Address Improper-Contact Fire Hazards 2023/03/13 11:40:02 (permalink)
    I'm left wondering which type EVGA used/uses, both in the 3-1 and the 2-1 12+4 cables.

BizSAR
    EVGA 3090Ti FTW3 Ultra / ZOTAC 4070Ti Trinity OC - ASUS ROG PG279QM
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Intel Readies ATX 12VHPWR Connector Revision to Address Improper-Contact Fire Hazards 2023/03/15 06:20:18 (permalink)
    That should've been the required design to start with. Those three dimples led to arcing/backfeeding on cables that hadn't even exhibited problems. 

Have water, will cool. 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Intel Readies ATX 12VHPWR Connector Revision to Address Improper-Contact Fire Hazards 2023/03/15 09:13:05 (permalink)
    kougar
    That should've been the required design to start with. Those three dimples led to arcing/backfeeding on cables that hadn't even exhibited problems. 

agree

the original design, must have been directed by cost control alone

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Intel Readies ATX 12VHPWR Connector Revision to Address Improper-Contact Fire Hazards 2023/03/17 22:09:26 (permalink)

Cost engineering sucks.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Intel Readies ATX 12VHPWR Connector Revision to Address Improper-Contact Fire Hazards 2023/03/18 02:44:19 (permalink)
    I wonder if Intel's improvement could be used on other connectors besides this one. Even if it's not been a problem in the past some premium PSU manufacturers might go with one standard for all cable design as long as it doesn't change the female plug.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

papusan
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Intel Readies ATX 12VHPWR Connector Revision to Address Improper-Contact Fire Hazards 2023/03/18 13:21:18 (permalink)
    Why haven't EVGA still made 12VHPWR adapter cables for sales/free for their PSUs? All other well known brands have already offered this since fall last year. Now we can see . And still nothing from EVGA for RTX 4000 series graphics cards. This is weird because EVGA said they should put more work into their gears after they abandoned graphics cards.

Shouldn't be needed have to go to Alibaba or Ebay for buying 3rd party 12VHPWR adapter cables for their EVGA power adapters. 
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Intel Readies ATX 12VHPWR Connector Revision to Address Improper-Contact Fire Hazards 2023/03/18 13:35:34 (permalink)
    papusan
    Why haven't EVGA still made 12VHPWR adapter cables for sales/free for their PSUs? All other well known brands have already offered this since fall last year. Now we can see . And still nothing from EVGA for RTX 4000 series graphics cards. This is weird because EVGA said they should put more work into their gears after they abandoned graphics cards.

Shouldn't be needed have to go to Alibaba or Ebay for buying 3rd party 12VHPWR adapter cables for their EVGA power adapters. 

EVGA included the adapters with all the 3000 series cards that used the 12VHPWR plug. I doubt they will revisit the design of the 3000 series adapters since they are no longer in the GPU market, but warranty would still apply if there are any issues with existing adapters.

EVGA do not make any 4000 series cards, and since EVGA 4000 series card don't exist, I don't see EVGA releasing cables for them. Manufacturers of 4000 series GPU's should be responsible for their own products, plus there are a number of 3rd party cable businesses out there now.

As far as PSU's go, EVGA have confirmed they will be releasing a new line of PSU's with the 12VHPWR PCIe headers, but I'm guessing they are waiting until this design flaw is resolved and a new standard is agreed upon before they release anything. That would make good business sense. 

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

papusan
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Intel Readies ATX 12VHPWR Connector Revision to Address Improper-Contact Fire Hazards 2023/03/18 16:42:25 (permalink)
    Nereus
    papusan

EVGA included the adapters with all the 3000 series cards that used the 12VHPWR plug. I doubt they will revisit the design of the 3000 series adapters since they are no longer in the GPU market, but warranty would still apply if there are any issues with existing adapters.

EVGA do not make any 4000 series cards, and since EVGA 4000 series card don't exist, I don't see EVGA releasing cables for them. Manufacturers of 4000 series GPU's should be responsible for their own products, plus there are a number of 3rd party cable businesses out there now.

As far as PSU's go, EVGA have confirmed they will be releasing a new line of PSU's with the 12VHPWR PCIe headers, but I'm guessing they are waiting until this design flaw is resolved and a new standard is agreed upon before they release anything. That would make good business sense. 

I know EVGA don't make Graphics cards any longer... And I know Be Quiet, Corsair etc never have made graphics cards. They make PSUs. Exactly as EVGA. And they offer 12VHPWR adapter cables for sales for their older PSUs.

They the same as EVGA, will also releasing a new line of PSU's with the 12VHPWR PCIe headers. So there is no excuses not offer the same for current PSU models. At least for their flagship models that cost north of $450 USD. But as I mean, several of EVGA power adapters models use same cable/connect design so just offer it for the models that can use same cables. That won't increase costs. Just charge what the cable cost and add some small profits on top. I can't see there is a major difference between Corsair or EVGA. They are both in the same tech market. 
    post edited by papusan - 2023/03/18 16:46:49
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Intel Readies ATX 12VHPWR Connector Revision to Address Improper-Contact Fire Hazards 2023/03/18 17:03:06 (permalink)
    papusan
    Nereus
    papusan

I know EVGA don't make Graphics cards any longer... And I know Be Quiet, Corsair etc never have made graphics cards. They make PSUs. Exactly as EVGA. And they offer 12VHPWR adapter cables for sales for their older PSUs.

They the same as EVGA, will also releasing a new line of PSU's with the 12VHPWR PCIe headers. So there is no excuses not offer the same for current PSU models. At least for their flagship models that cost north of $450 USD. But as I mean, several of EVGA power adapters models use same cable/connect design so just offer it for the models that can use same cables. That won't increase costs. Just charge what the cable cost and add some small profits on top. I can't see there is a major difference between Corsair or EVGA. They are both in the same tech market. 

I see what you mean. EVGA used to sell some sleeved cables (I have some, they're pretty good), perhaps the margin on cables just isn't big enough for them to set up for it when there's already some good 3rd party options that appear to have most of that market wrapped up.

Another possibility, as I mentioned, is that it's quite possible EVGA have been waiting for the 12VHPWR adapter design flaw to be resolved and a new standard finalized and agreed upon before they throw a heap of money into it. Lucky really, or they'd be stuck now with a pile of useless cable endings.

There's always another possibility; that EVGA are winding up the business and have no intention of opening any new revenue streams. I hope that's not the case though. Time will tell. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Intel Readies ATX 12VHPWR Connector Revision to Address Improper-Contact Fire Hazards 2023/03/19 06:18:45 (permalink)
    Let’s be clear, EVGA doesn’t make power supplies. EVGA designs what they want, then Seasonic, FSP, superflower and other OEM’s make the power supply for EVGA to EVGA’s specifications.

If the OEM’s are not mass producing their own power supplies at that moment, I highly doubt they will take on an order from a third party and prioritize the third party over themselves. That isn’t to say that EVGA doesn’t have an order in already, but EVGA makes very little in house and contracts out a whole lot. JayzTwoCents and GN both talked about that in the past, and the only reason that I even know about it. If the OEM that evga chose is having issues meeting EVGA’s specifications, it will cause delays.
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Intel Readies ATX 12VHPWR Connector Revision to Address Improper-Contact Fire Hazards 2023/03/19 07:21:48 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    Let’s be clear, EVGA doesn’t make power supplies. EVGA designs what they want, then Seasonic, FSP, superflower and other OEM’s make the power supply for EVGA to EVGA’s specifications.

If the OEM’s are not mass producing their own power supplies at that moment, I highly doubt they will take on an order from a third party and prioritize the third party over themselves. That isn’t to say that EVGA doesn’t have an order in already, but EVGA makes very little in house and contracts out a whole lot. JayzTwoCents and GN both talked about that in the past, and the only reason that I even know about it. If the OEM that evga chose is having issues meeting EVGA’s specifications, it will cause delays.

lol, ok you're introducing an argument here that was not in question imo. I'm assuming everyone already realized EVGA doesn't physically manufacture PSU's from scratch, same as Corsair doesn't, nor does ASUS (the later are both Seasonic I believe).. you're kind of splitting hairs.

To clarify; EVGA *order* PSUs according to the specs and design and branding they want, if that makes it clearer for you. If the OEM has issues producing them, then other branded retailers would also be having similar issues. OEMs aren't going to turn down orders selectively, they have a minimum order amount in order to make a profit regardless of who the customer is.

So... my postulation still stands - if EVGA made an order of PSU's from an OEM earlier, they would now be stuck holding a large number of PSUs and cables with somewhat deficient connectors, so it would make good business sense to hold off on ordering until the 12VHPWR adapter design flaw is resolved and a new standard finalized and agreed upon before they put a lot of money into ordering the PSUs from the OEM.   

Also from that GN video, EVGA margin on PSUs is relatively high - certainly far more than GPUs, which is the basis on which EVGA stopped 'making' GPUs - the margin became too small to the point they may lose money.

Flybye
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1169
    Re: Intel Readies ATX 12VHPWR Connector Revision to Address Improper-Contact Fire Hazards 2023/03/19 07:25:46 (permalink)
    Always amazes me how such large companies can make something to never put it through enough testing.

Gaming thing
    i9-12900KF @ 5.20GHz
    EVGA: Z690 Classified - RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra - Supernova 1200w P3 - DG-75
    32GBs Corsair Dominator DDR5 @ 6800 - Seagate: .5TB, 1TB M.2s, HD 4TB
    Sony CRT 24" GDM-FW900 16:10 - DangerDen (RIP) Goodies: 2x120mm Rad & D5 + Primochill stuff
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Intel Readies ATX 12VHPWR Connector Revision to Address Improper-Contact Fire Hazards 2023/03/19 21:50:42 (permalink)
    Flybye
    Always amazes me how such large companies can make something to never put it through enough testing.

True that. When did final release become beta testing stage? Smh. Makes think maybe EVGA were wise to almost always be later than any of the major competition when releasing some of their hardware.

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    Re: Intel Readies ATX 12VHPWR Connector Revision to Address Improper-Contact Fire Hazards 2023/03/19 22:20:49 (permalink)
    Flybye

It’s probably because they are using a test bench system with plenty of lighting and staff who have plugged and unplugged that cable more times in a week than the average person would do in a lifetime.

At a point staff can get too professional at a task that they fail to see how the real world user could have problems.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile