EVGA

Improving the EVGA X12 Debounce Algorithm

Author
Communism
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/09/12 00:44:55 (permalink)
It appears that the EVGA X12, when set to the "5 ms Debounce" setting, has ~3 ms of deferred debounce on "mouse down" but has 0 ms of eager debounce on "mouse down".

The better way to implement debounce, especially with the 60m Omron which has a very hard contact that causes some bouncing when hitting the button with a hard sharp click, would be to add the option of setting ~3 ms of deferred debounce on "mouse down" but also ~13 ms of eager debounce on "mouse down" as well.

Here is the difference between deferred and eager debounce.

Looks like my link was deleted, but I'm sure EVGA's software engineers know what I am talking about.

This will keep the responsiveness of the first click, but will significantly reduce the chance of an inadvertent double-click compared to the current implementation which has you choosing the "5 ms Debounce" setting and having some double-clicking or choosing the "10 ms Debounce" setting and removing that double-clicking but adding additional latency to the click.

I have tested the mouse and was able to produce double-clicking with sharp hard clicking that has the first click lasting for up to ~12 ms from the time the mouse sends the first "mouse down" to the computer till the second click happens.

In comparison, mice from Logitech usually have ~1-2 ms of deferred debounce and ~20 ms of eager debounce, while mice from Razer have ~30 ms of eager debounce to solve this issue, but I have found that for this particular mouse, it is only required to have an eager debounce of ~13 ms on top of the ~3 ms of deferred debounce that is already implemented in the "5 ms Debounce" option.
post edited by Communism - 2022/09/12 01:09:57

3 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Improving the EVGA X12 Debounce Algorithm 2022/09/12 07:07:12 (permalink)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

EVGATech_NickB
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 93
    Re: Improving the EVGA X12 Debounce Algorithm 2022/09/14 11:17:56 (permalink)
    Communism
    It appears that the EVGA X12, when set to the "5 ms Debounce" setting, has ~3 ms of deferred debounce on "mouse down" but has 0 ms of eager debounce on "mouse down".

The better way to implement debounce, especially with the 60m Omron which has a very hard contact that causes some bouncing when hitting the button with a hard sharp click, would be to add the option of setting ~3 ms of deferred debounce on "mouse down" but also ~13 ms of eager debounce on "mouse down" as well.

Here is the difference between deferred and eager debounce.

Looks like my link was deleted, but I'm sure EVGA's software engineers know what I am talking about.

This will keep the responsiveness of the first click, but will significantly reduce the chance of an inadvertent double-click compared to the current implementation which has you choosing the "5 ms Debounce" setting and having some double-clicking or choosing the "10 ms Debounce" setting and removing that double-clicking but adding additional latency to the click.

I have tested the mouse and was able to produce double-clicking with sharp hard clicking that has the first click lasting for up to ~12 ms from the time the mouse sends the first "mouse down" to the computer till the second click happens.

In comparison, mice from Logitech usually have ~1-2 ms of deferred debounce and ~20 ms of eager debounce, while mice from Razer have ~30 ms of eager debounce to solve this issue, but I have found that for this particular mouse, it is only required to have an eager debounce of ~13 ms on top of the ~3 ms of deferred debounce that is already implemented in the "5 ms Debounce" option.

Thank you for the feedback! As stated above by Cool GTX, please provide this in our complaints/suggestions section of the website and it will be passed along to the correct individuals to further take a look into this 
    Communism
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Improving the EVGA X12 Debounce Algorithm 2022/09/14 18:31:04 (permalink)
    I have submitted it on that form now.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile